PDA

View Full Version : Minimum Wedding kit

Excalibur
11-08-2009, 06:23 PM
I :Censored: well hope this works, cos it seems like the seventeenth time I've done it! :bang: ( Waits for some bright spark to tell me how to post a Word table with spacing intact. :o ).

OK, what is the minimum acceptable wedding kit?
What's preferred?
What's just plain Willy Waving?

My suggestions may or may not be entirely serious. I trust yours will be totally serious. ( Except for Rob, who will be silly as usual, and suggest an Ipod and two vastos. :p :D :D )

Edit: Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Still had to tweak it, that's as good as it gets.

Item …………….. Minimum …...... ........... Preferred …....... .. WillyWaving.
Frontage. ….. Piece of blackout curtain …. Starcloth ………… …S&M/ Deckstand Pro
Stand …………... Venue Table ………………...… Ultimax ….. …S&M/ Deckstand Pro.
PA …………….... Maplins Finest …………………….… Class D..………...... .RCF/Tony Scott
Lights …………… Maplins Finest ....... A nice selection of LED’s ….. Fully DMX , with all white setting for first dance

Alchemy
11-08-2009, 06:34 PM
NURSE!

I think Peter's forgotten to take his medication.

:confused:

Excalibur
11-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Cheeky git! After all the work I did. :bang: :D :D
Never mind the insults, give us your views on kit. ;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-08-2009, 06:53 PM
I :Censored: well hope this works, cos it seems like the seventeenth time I've done it! :bang: ( Waits for some bright spark to tell me how to post a Word table with spacing intact. :o ).

Put it in a Word document and then attach it Peter. :)

Oh and it S&H, not S&M which is another matter completely :sj:

Spirits High
11-08-2009, 06:54 PM
I think the minimum is an ipod and 2 speakers :sofa:

mark karaoke
11-08-2009, 07:03 PM
1 comb(preferably clean) and a piece of tissue paper (also clean if possible) !!!!!;) ;)

DJMaxG
11-08-2009, 07:04 PM

any further comments Rob?

Minimum for a wedding is (or at least should be) determined by the price

If a customer is paying £600, you would be wrong to turn up with just a pair of 12s and a T Bar, but going back on my word there - if the room didn't require any more, then why carry it.

I Personally would probably price on the room size, event duration, and whether it was at peak times or not (eg saturday night)

Although I have seen DJs before using nothing more than 2 X Moonflowers, I would say that the bare minimum for any function should be 4 X Lighting effects, and a pair of 12" Full Range Speakers.

Solitaire Events Ltd
11-08-2009, 07:08 PM

Minimum for a wedding is (or at least should be) determined by the price

If a customer is paying £600, you would be wrong to turn up with just a pair of 12s and a T Bar, but going back on my word there - if the room didn't require any more, then why carry it.

I Personally would probably price on the room size, event duration, and whether it was at peak times or not (eg saturday night)

Although I have seen DJs before using nothing more than 2 X Moonflowers, I would say that the bare minimum for any function should be 4 X Lighting effects, and a pair of 12" Full Range Speakers.

You are talking rubbish again.

Minimum for a wedding is not determined by price. I have done £500+ weddings and used 3 lighting effects.

People don't ring up and ask how many lights they are getting for the price and if they did, they'd be speaking to the wrong person.

rob1963
11-08-2009, 07:12 PM

Yes...it looks like I'm covered!

:D

spin mobile disco
11-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Smallest I do a wedding for is my basic package only available mon - thursday. That consists of 2x tapco tops 4 effects ( normally 2 impossibleds and 2 other effects chosen at random)
Don't normally bother with starcloths for these but I use a black curtain at the front.
Normally only use a 4ft deckstand with a single piece of tri tuss (4 ft) above.

Excalibur
11-08-2009, 07:25 PM
Yeah I realised that, but then it would show as a link, wouldn't it? Don't tell me it was that :Censored: easy and that :Censored: obvious? :doh:

Good heavens! Did I make a typo? How remiss of me. I really must take more care in future. :D :D :D

Minimum for a wedding is not determined by price. I have done £500+ weddings and used 3 lighting effects.

People don't ring up and ask how many lights they are getting for the price and if they did, they'd be speaking to the wrong person.

Absolutely. For that they need Rob. :D

Spin; At last a sensible answer. Thanks.

ppentertainments
11-08-2009, 07:34 PM
The MINIMUM I provide for a wedding is the MAXIMUM the B&G require ;)

DeckstarDeluxe
11-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Nothing older than a nine year old amp and 14 year old scanners..... ;)

Charlie Brown
11-08-2009, 08:10 PM
Surely you would use the equipment that was required for that particular venue and size of people?

Whether it's a wake or a wedding....the equipment you take would be the same?

Excalibur
11-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Surely you would use the equipment that was required for that particular venue and size of people?

Not necessarily. Normally a wedding would require tasteful tops and subs, or tops only. For some other functions in the same venue, you might take a far bigger PA, for example.

DJ Jules
11-08-2009, 08:38 PM

I think Charlie has a point (but this is probably based on his own high expectations about what he should deliver for any gig), but I think the point of the thread was to understand peoples perceptions about what equipment you really must have in order to be able to "do Weddings", because the expectations are higher.

I went to a wedding a few weeks ago (as a guest for once) and the dude who did it came out with what I'd call the "expected kit" - that is two decent full range speakers (3 way Peavey's I think), a deckstand, a starcloth and a reasonable selection of lighting effects for the size of the room (2 moonflowers, 2 barrel scans and an LED fixture - plus UV lights). But in contrast (and I wish I'd got a photo of this) the guys who were having a wedding upstairs had a crew come in (with their company name and their names on their shirts) who brought in a couple of rusty T-bars, a few dodgy old lighting effects, a pair of speakers (didn't see what, but they actually sounded ok), a laptop and believe it or not, they bought their own fold up school table to put the playout gear on.

See photo here (http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk/DiscoHire/dscf5775.jpg) for the guy's kit (note that his speakers are the ones UNDER the Mackies - the SRM450's belong to the band)

So while it might be obvious to Charlie what a wedding requires - apparently it's not to every DJ out there.

Me - I agree with the original post, minimum kit (dependent on venue) for any gig is a Deckstand of some kind, covered with a cloth of some kind, coupled with a decent sounding pair of speakers of an appropriate size for the venue and size of audience, backed up with a reasonable playout rig (laptop, digital player, CDJ's, whatever) and an appropriate number of lighting effects. I think for weddings specifically you should add to this backup equipment (or a working plan) for at least the key components of your rig.

More important than Anything for a wedding, is the experience of the DJ, as proved at both of the weddings I was discussing above - DJ's at both of them weren't great. The one at the one I went to stuck on a mastermix CD of 70's hits (too loud, and with too much bass for people as they came in), helped himself to the buffet and then hung around on the veranda outside for the first two hours, then when he came to actually start playing out after the first dance, emptied the dance floor within three tracks because he had no idea about the audience (those who were left, that is). I stuck my head around the door of the wedding upstairs when I left, and there were a small cluster of about 10 people left (hiding at the back of the room).

Julian

ppentertainments
11-08-2009, 08:54 PM

Another can of worms here I think Charlie.
Personally I use different rigs for 'other function' than weddings, unless of course the fee is right ;)

The main reason is that if I am doing a gig for say £200 for a birthday and used the same rig for a wedding at £295 I always think people may feel a bit conned having seen the 2. I know this is probably not true but makes me feel easier if nothing else ;)

PropellerHeadCase
11-08-2009, 09:19 PM
Started to right a full answer, then lost it, will come back to it after work (three to four days).

Kernow
11-08-2009, 09:33 PM

Not if your kit is brand spanking new ! ;)

:eek: :D

Adam_F
11-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Minimum for me for a wedding rig is something like this (but with a Deckstand Booth Pro instead, used a small car that day, so it didn't fit in, and yes, a cable has slipped - D'oh!!):

DJMaxG
11-08-2009, 10:05 PM
but with a Deckstand Booth Pro instead

Can I ask what bar you have there, is that the Ultimax one?

Adam_F
11-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Can I ask what bar you have there, is that the Ultimax one?

Yep, standard Ultimax Trusslite

DJ Jules
11-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Minimum for me for a wedding rig is something like this (but with a Deckstand Booth Pro instead, used a small car that day, so it didn't fit in, and yes, a cable has slipped - D'oh!!):

Interesting rig - what're the speakers in the photo? Is there a sub or two lurking somewhere behind that seemingly innocent set of screens? :D

Julian

Adam_F
11-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Interesting rig - what're the speakers in the photo? Is there a sub or two lurking somewhere behind that seemingly innocent set of screens? :D

Julian

They're Cerwin Vega CVA 28's. For that gig there was no hidden sub. Up to 100 guests, I only use them on their own.

DJ Jules
11-08-2009, 10:39 PM
They're Cerwin Vega CVA 28's. For that gig there was no hidden sub. Up to 100 guests, I only use them on their own.

Well, I've learnt something new today. You can get 400w RMS out of 2 x 8inch drivers :)

The exact phrase I used when I read the spec's isn't repeatable here!

Julian

Adam_F
11-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Well, I've learnt something new today. You can get 400w RMS out of 2 x 8inch drivers :)

The exact phrase I used when I read the spec's isn't repeatable here!

Julian

LoL

I did a review of them here a while ago http://www.mobilediscodirectory.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=18075

Dynamic Entertainment
11-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Havent you flown the CVA 28s too Adam? Im sure i remember a piccy...

Also, which sub would you recommend with it? The 115 or the 118?

Adam_F
11-08-2009, 11:59 PM
Havent you flown the CVA 28s too Adam? Im sure i remember a piccy...

Also, which sub would you recommend with it? The 115 or the 118?

Yeah, fly them too.

They fit perfectly in these http://www.americandj.eu/product_info.php?cPath=45_43&products_id=1596 without the brackets on, so tend to use tripods at the minute, as its great putting them straight into flightcases for transport.

Personally I use the Titan Active 15" Sub with them, but the CVA 118's are awesome!

rob1963
12-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Nothing older than a nine year old amp and 14 year old scanners..... ;)

:rofl:

My minimum (for smaller weddings) is two Mackie C300z speakers, a 2 x 300w (into 8 ohms) amp, black carpet covered MDF frontage, 8 pinspots, mushroom light, gobo flower, D2.....and 4 ipods!

:D :D :D

I can't believe someone actually started this thread.

I'll be looking out for the "How long is a piece of string" one next!

Dynamic Entertainment
12-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Yeah, fly them too.

They fit perfectly in these http://www.americandj.eu/product_info.php?cPath=45_43&products_id=1596 without the brackets on, so tend to use tripods at the minute, as its great putting them straight into flightcases for transport.

Personally I use the Titan Active 15" Sub with them, but the CVA 118's are awesome!

Im seriously considering some. perfect for those smaller spaces 9not that i dont love my RCF...im just a speaker perv :D )

Excalibur
12-08-2009, 02:27 AM
:rofl:

My minimum (for smaller weddings) is two Mackie C300z speakers, a 2 x 300w (into 8 ohms) amp, black carpet covered MDF frontage, 8 pinspots, mushroom light, gobo flower, D2.....and 4 ipods!

:D :D :D

I can't believe someone actually started this thread.

I'll be looking out for the "How long is a piece of string" one next!

Oi! The intention was to see if there was any consensus as to minimum kit.

So far I can count the serious responses on the fingers of one hand. Plus ca change. ;)

JAMdisco
12-08-2009, 08:24 AM
You know what I use Peter, but for those unfortunate enough not to see my system :-

I use pretty much the same for weddings as I do for any other function.

2 x 12" CD12P class-d tops
2 x 15" CD15 subs (soon to be Pro Audio M-15 subs)
1 x C-Mark MR2450 amp
1 x Giraffe Deckstand (soon to be Ultimax)
1 x Prologht starcloth
1 x Laptop (+ spare)
1 x Numark DM950USB mixer (soon to be Numark C3 USB)
1 x Impossibled
4 x PAR56 LED + mini DMX controller
4 x 250W Quadra Force Lights
or
2 x 250W Acme Gyro Scanners (linked)

I occasionally take out 2 x Class-d 158-1's if the system needs to be more powerful (oh yes, and Peter and his extra amp and crossover for maximum effect - soon to have myself :D )

I feel this is more than adequate for most venues but the main thing, especially for weddings is it has to look classy & neat (IMO).

rob1963
12-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Oi! The intention was to see if there was any consensus as to minimum kit.

You could have just asked me (or anyone else) using PM and saved the thread!

:p

So far I can count the serious responses on the fingers of one hand.

One of which was mine!

:D

Javlingames
12-08-2009, 10:29 AM
I think Charlie has a point (but this is probably based on his own high expectations about what he should deliver for any gig), but I think the point of the thread was to understand peoples perceptions about what equipment you really must have in order to be able to "do Weddings", because the expectations are higher.

I went to a wedding a few weeks ago (as a guest for once) and the dude who did it came out with what I'd call the "expected kit" - that is two decent full range speakers (3 way Peavey's I think), a deckstand, a starcloth and a reasonable selection of lighting effects for the size of the room (2 moonflowers, 2 barrel scans and an LED fixture - plus UV lights). But in contrast (and I wish I'd got a photo of this) the guys who were having a wedding upstairs had a crew come in (with their company name and their names on their shirts) who brought in a couple of rusty T-bars, a few dodgy old lighting effects, a pair of speakers (didn't see what, but they actually sounded ok), a laptop and believe it or not, they bought their own fold up school table to put the playout gear on.

See photo here (http://www.bristoldiscohire.co.uk/DiscoHire/dscf5775.jpg) for the guy's kit (note that his speakers are the ones UNDER the Mackies - the SRM450's belong to the band)

So while it might be obvious to Charlie what a wedding requires - apparently it's not to every DJ out there.

Me - I agree with the original post, minimum kit (dependent on venue) for any gig is a Deckstand of some kind, covered with a cloth of some kind, coupled with a decent sounding pair of speakers of an appropriate size for the venue and size of audience, backed up with a reasonable playout rig (laptop, digital player, CDJ's, whatever) and an appropriate number of lighting effects. I think for weddings specifically you should add to this backup equipment (or a working plan) for at least the key components of your rig.

More important than Anything for a wedding, is the experience of the DJ, as proved at both of the weddings I was discussing above - DJ's at both of them weren't great. The one at the one I went to stuck on a mastermix CD of 70's hits (too loud, and with too much bass for people as they came in), helped himself to the buffet and then hung around on the veranda outside for the first two hours, then when he came to actually start playing out after the first dance, emptied the dance floor within three tracks because he had no idea about the audience (those who were left, that is). I stuck my head around the door of the wedding upstairs when I left, and there were a small cluster of about 10 people left (hiding at the back of the room).

Julian

The speakers in that picture are Peavey HIsys 4's. 2 x 15 '' drivers and a big horn on top. Got to be 20 years old.

yourdj
12-08-2009, 10:30 AM

Your right. I have only had a handful of people mention lighting and sound. What they want is a well presented, reliable and professional DJ.

this is what i use at most my weddings, 4 lights, uplights and 12 inch PA. Never had any problems:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_044PTfUkGaA/SoCP7umE54I/AAAAAAAABzo/aR_umEgw6x4/s320/gear+1.jpg

DJ Jules
17-08-2009, 12:21 PM
The speakers in that picture are Peavey HIsys 4's. 2 x 15 '' drivers and a big horn on top. Got to be 20 years old.

I thought as much... He's got an interesting folding top bar on his deck stand too (it's a box steel beam and the ends are hinged to fold in).

Julian