PDA

View Full Version : New site and new host

DeckstarDeluxe
16-08-2009, 02:24 PM
As a treat I have got myself a copy of Serif Webplus X2 website maker because Im not happy with my site. As its hosted by BT Im being charged £236 a year to host my site and the web site builder I have to use is rather limited.

Im off to play with the new software to create an offline site but I want to start moving my site off bt with the domain name. Anyone know how to do this? I take it I need to move it to another hosting site?

discomobiledj
16-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Who did you buy your domain from? Was it BT? If so you would need to read about their T & C's about movements.

If it is with a third party, 123-reg, 1 & 1 etc etc, then it's just purely a case fof pointing and changing the nameservers to the new host.

Marc J
16-08-2009, 02:52 PM
To move a .co.uk domain name all you need to do is make sure you are able to change the IPS tag for the domain. If you don't have a control panel to do this directly then your current agent (i.e. BT) should do this for you upon request.

You need to create an account with a domain registrar (for example UK Reg, 123 Reg etc.). Once done you find out what their IPS tag is - this is what you change it to.

Once the tag is changed you then transfer it in to your chosen registrar account. Simple :)

I'm not sure how flexible BT are with their hosting, they may let you upgrade (or downgrade?) from their templated system to a more flexible "do it all yourself" solution. If they don't then you'll definitely need to move hosts.

£236 a year is steep, imho.

If you're moving hosts another alternative is to keep your domain registration with BT and simply change the nameserver (DNS) settings for the domain. When moving hosts you'll need to change these, anyway, nomatter who the domain is registered through.

Forum rules forbid me from advertising...perhaps someone will come along and recommend someone to handle your domains / hosting requirements ;)

discomobiledj
16-08-2009, 02:54 PM
I've heard a certain Marc J comes highly recommended on here........

Tom
16-08-2009, 06:36 PM
Marc J ftw. :D

Mark Wild
16-08-2009, 07:07 PM
I also used Serif Webplus for a site I put together, as I mentioned a few threads before this ;) . My domain was with "namesco" and I chose one.com as hosts. To transfer my domain as Mark J said you have to contact your current registrar and request they change the TAG for your domain. Depending on the company you may be charged for this (I had to pay £10). One.com gave me hosting for £10.35 for the year and it's sufficient for the needs of the website.

welby
16-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Hi,

I can highly recommend these:

http://www.eukhost.com/

Never had a problem

Great support

Copper Plan

•200 MB Space
•2 GB Bandwidth
•Host Unlimited domains
•cPanel Control Panel
•Unlimited Mailboxes
•Fantastico
•PHP 5/MySQL 5
•Linux OS

Only £29.99 a Year

Rowleys
16-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Admin Note:

Content Removed.

Please read the rules regarding advertising!

DJWilson
16-08-2009, 07:21 PM
I chose one.com as hosts. To transfer my domain as Mark J said you have to contact your current registrar and request they change the TAG for your domain. Depending on the company you may be charged for this (I had to pay £10). One.com gave me hosting for £10.35 for the year and it's sufficient for the needs of the website.

Thats the one.com package im on aswell, very good:)

DazzyD
16-08-2009, 07:39 PM
I've just taken on the business hosting package with 1&1. I thinks it's about £9 a month but that includes 3 .uk domains. I also have a package through a reseller of Heart Internet which has been good for me.

I've also heard you can get a good deal from Marc J and he's well up on all the techy stuff so can give a good support service! ;)

Danno13
16-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Hi Neil,

You have email regarding NADJ hosting :)

DeckstarDeluxe
16-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Thanks Dan

Shaun
16-08-2009, 08:16 PM
RE: Hosting. I'm with Marc J, I highly recommend him.

DeckstarDeluxe
16-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Advantage of being with NADJ is webhosting ;)

Mark Wild
16-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Advantage of being with NADJ is webhosting ;)

It's cheap as chips anyway tbh and the NADJ is 50 mb capacity which is limited.

Im being charged £236 a year to host my site

But it's a big improvement on your last choice ;)

Danno13
16-08-2009, 10:13 PM
You can increase it if need be, for a small fee.

It's just a value-added to be honest, there are lots more reasons to join NADJ but thats been done a few times, so I won't bore anyone again :D

Marc J
17-08-2009, 05:19 PM
I'm curious, Neil. After the various recommendations in this thread why did you end up going with a US (Florida) based host?

EDIT: Just realised, that's the NADJ hosting...odd!