PDA

View Full Version : DB Tech Opera 402 - 405 ?

welby
19-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Hi,

Dilemma number one...

can someone tell me what the difference is between the DB Tech 402 and the 405 Opera Active speakers.

They both have the same spec:

250+50 Wats
128 SPL
406x650x350mm
18kg (402) 19Kg (405)

Just one has a 12" woofer and the other a 15" woofer.

The reason why I ask is that I current use a pair of db Technologies Sub12 Active Subwoofers with a pair of Warrier PSR15A's for larger gigs and I personally think the PSR15A's are too overkill in terms of physical size and weight:

(HxWxD): 740mm x 475mm x 400mm
Net Weight: 30Kg

Great if I only want to do a small gig by just using these on their own.

Or am I just kidding myself? Should I stick with the combo that I have and only take the subs out on bigger gigs or should I opt for the Operas, and if so which one?

spin mobile disco
19-08-2009, 11:13 AM
I use the 402's and they are great with the subs. The 405's can produce the bass frequencies a bit lower than the 402's. So they area more rounded sound by themselves without subs.
12" drivers reproduce mid range better than a 15" driver can manage so are better used in a top with sub arrangment.
The 15's can be used by themselves or with subs. so this makes them more versatile.
I own the 12's and love them but am thinking of buying the 15's to allow me a bit more choice in setup. Especially for those smaller upstairs gigs you dont want to lug subs up for.

Im guessing you like the subs then :)

music-2-play
19-08-2009, 11:34 AM
It's more traditional to use a larger inch driver for the sub than you have for the tops, whereas in you're case you're using 15" tops and 12" subs --- not the end of the world anyway; it's still another driver pushing air and any old sub will be better than moulded speakers for bass reproduction. Smaller woofers are more adept at accturately reproducing the low-mid and mid range, as because of their smaller size, they are able to respond quicker to the signal from the amp.

The difference between the 405s and 402s....

The 405s go down to 50hz, whereas the 402s go down to 60hz --- as you would expect as the woofer size increases. So, without a sub, you'll be able to eke out a little extra bass. You're DB Sub12 goes down to 40hz @ -3db

welby
19-08-2009, 12:26 PM
Im guessing you like the subs then :)

Yes, played out a few times now, and have them set up just fine. They work best if they are the main bass unit with the heads just doing the mid - high. They seem to like being driven hard.

Gigged at a party with 200 guests and they loved the sound. In fact on young woman came up and asked about the bass as it was in her words "wicked".

So you can't beat a better recommendation than that!

What do you want for your 402's? Take it there in the same condition as the subs I had off you?

Keep going and I'll have all your kit! :D

welby
19-08-2009, 12:31 PM
It's more traditional to use a larger inch driver for the sub than you have for the tops, whereas in you're case you're using 15" tops and 12" subs --- not the end of the world anyway; it's still another driver pushing air and any old sub will be better than moulded speakers for bass reproduction. Smaller woofers are more adept at accturately reproducing the low-mid and mid range, as because of their smaller size, they are able to respond quicker to the signal from the amp.

The difference between the 405s and 402s....

The 405s go down to 50hz, whereas the 402s go down to 60hz --- as you would expect as the woofer size increases. So, without a sub, you'll be able to eke out a little extra bass. You're DB Sub12 goes down to 40hz @ -3db

Trust me to be topsy turvy.....

I'm going to keep the W-Audio PSR15A's as Spin quite rightly said he needs something where you don't want to lug Subs upstairs and on their own they are a good all round speaker.

spin mobile disco
19-08-2009, 02:36 PM
Nah sorry mate the 402's I love 2 much to part with. But you can find 2 on offer here if you hurry. http://www.decks.co.uk/products/BGrade_Active_Speakers/db_technologies/BGrade_Opera_Live_402

welby
19-08-2009, 03:12 PM
Nah sorry mate the 402's I love 2 much to part with. But you can find 2 on offer here if you hurry. http://www.decks.co.uk/products/BGrade_Active_Speakers/db_technologies/BGrade_Opera_Live_402

Yeah don't blame you.

I spotted those a day or so ago....my misses will kill me for spending more money on kit...Mind you I have just bought her a new laptop...., well just in case I need a back up for my dj lappy. :D :D

welby
19-08-2009, 03:24 PM
ah well I convinced myself and bought them!

welby
20-08-2009, 12:29 PM
ah well I convinced myself and bought them!

Took delivery of these this morning to find that they had delivered a new pair, factory sealed instead of the B-stock and at the b-stock price!

Well happy and they sound great with the pair of DB sub12's.

:5star: