PDA

View Full Version : Produb License / PPL

DYNA-MIC
21-08-2009, 04:45 PM
Hi

I am starting to run a karaoke and Disco business. Now do I need to get a produb license or a PPL as it is a Karaoke Disco or do I have to get PRS License ( Performing Righs Society License ) I am being told different things and do not know what I need to get.

I am mainly doing this in pubs and the odd Birthday and Wedding if it comes my way which I know I will need to get a PRS license incase the venue does not hold one..

I am really confused and need to make sure I am doing all this right..

Nikki :bang:
Dyna-mic

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-08-2009, 05:26 PM
Nikki

You'll need a Produb if you are ripping your music and karaoke CDs to Mp3. If you just buy downloads, and use them from your playout machine and that is all you use, then you don't need Produb. It is a format shifting or copying licence.

Generally, the venues will hold the PRS so you won't need one.

DYNA-MIC
21-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks for that, so if they are still in CDG format playing vi our laptop then we are ok, and if our Music cds are converted to WMA does that mean we are ok and wont need a produb license.

Nikki
Dyna-MIc

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks for that, so if they are still in CDG format playing vi our laptop then we are ok, and if our Music cds are converted to WMA does that mean we are ok and wont need a produb license.

Nikki
Dyna-MIc

No, sorry I probably confused you with the use of the word mp3. If you copy or format shift, eg: CD - Mp3 or CD - WMA then you need a Produb.

If you use CD+G discs only without your music CDs then you wouldn't need it. (But regardless of this, you would still need it for copying your CDs)

Basically, if you copy a CD or change the format of anything, then you need the Produb. If you copy your CD+G to Mp3+G then you will need the Produb plus the karaoke uplift which enables you to use the lyrics on screen.

DYNA-MIC
21-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Thank you have been so helpful.

Nikki

DYNA-MIC
21-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Hi

If I purchase a pro-dub license under my name and listed my business name for my karaoke disco will that be for me and my partner or just for the person who made the application??

Im so confused :bang:

Nikki

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Hi

If I purchase a pro-dub license under my name and listed my business name for my karaoke disco will that be for me and my partner or just for the person who made the application??

Im so confused :bang:

Nikki

The licence will need to be in your name or whoever is the owner of the collection.

DYNA-MIC
21-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Sorry to be a pain do I have to also have a PPL license and PRS License or does the produb license cover them all.

Its quite scarey knowing what licenses you have to have etc... i dont want to get it wrong.

Nikki

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Sorry to be a pain do I have to also have a PPL license and PRS License or does the produb license cover them all.

Its quite scarey knowing what licenses you have to have etc... i dont want to get it wrong.

Nikki

Produb is a copying licence.

PRS and PPL are generally held by the venue. It is very long winded to explain what they all are. Have a Google and read at your leisure. Then come back and ask about anthing you don't get.

DYNA-MIC
21-08-2009, 07:45 PM
Thank you so much for your help you have been a star.

Nikki