PDA

View Full Version : Produb license query again!!!

DYNA-MIC
22-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Hi,

I need help, just found out I need a produb license as starting up Karaoke Business as I will be playing mine via my laptop from a karaoke software which I have bought, and the license that is £300 so thats fine as I believe I can claim that offf my tax so not too bad.

I am ringing PRS on Monday but does anyone know I have a been a karaoke fan for years and always had the tracks on laptop for years as I have parties at home doing this for my own personal use. Now what I need to know because some of the CDG I have downoaded on my laptop are years old and I have misplaced the originals through moves, relationship break up etc but I had bought them where do I stand with that..

People think I am worrying too much about this but dont want to be doing something against the law. Even spoke to a KJ and in my area and he dont even have this and been doing it years and never worried before.

From looking at the different types of questions people have asked this is against the law so need to know the facts as internet saying so many different things..

Nikki

discomobiledj
22-08-2009, 01:38 PM
If you do a search for Produb there are loads of different threads about it.

You only need Produb if you have COPIED the karaoke discs to your laptop/external drive etc.

If you have downloaded them DIRECT to your playout system (hard drive/laptop/rack mount pc then you DO NOT need Produb.

DazzyD
23-08-2009, 09:54 PM
If I recall correctly, ProDub said the licence would cover you for copying/ripping from the date of your licence but couldn't rule out action against you (by the original artists / music companies) for any copying / ripping prior to your licence. I haven't heard of anyone buying the licence and then facing action for stuff they'd done previously so perhaps they wont pursue this once you have paid up. This isn't gospel, though, just my own thoughts on the matter.

MagicMusic
24-08-2009, 12:34 PM
If you have downloaded them DIRECT to your playout system (hard drive/laptop/rack mount pc then you DO NOT need Produb.

Is this a definite? If so that's the route i'm taking!

Shaun
24-08-2009, 02:33 PM

Yes that's correct. The Produb is solely for copying or format shifting your music. If you purchase your music online and download it directly to your hard drive you use at your gigs, then no produb is required.

MagicMusic
24-08-2009, 02:44 PM
Yes that's correct. The Produb is solely for copying or format shifting your music. If you purchase your music online and download it directly to your hard drive you use at your gigs, then no produb is required.

:approve:

Ta muchly!

DazzyD
26-08-2009, 07:24 PM

That's what I'm doing. I use a combination of original CDs and tracks purchased from 7Digital.com downloaded to my disco external harddrive.

Cj_The_Dj
22-09-2009, 10:17 AM

dose that not included your back-up? also somthing ive wondering how can you tell its been done?

Vectis
22-09-2009, 12:12 PM
dose that not included your back-up? also somthing ive wondering how can you tell its been done?

Don't worry about it. There's ways and means ;)

Legislation is all around us. There are those that comply and those that chance it. The chancers will always come unstuck one way or another.

If you don't want to get 'caught' then play by the rules. Buy the licence. Download tracks from legal sources or dub them from original physical media. Keep the originals. Keep your receipts. Keep within the limits. Then you're in a great position to challenge any allegations of wrongdoing.

Javlingames
20-11-2009, 12:26 PM
With regards to karaoke and produb i heard that the prs do not own the rights to karaoke versions of songs? Therefore produb is not needed?

Corabar Steve
20-11-2009, 02:54 PM
Why would it have a Karaoke add on then?

Javlingames
20-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Im not sure its just something i heard, i dont do karaoke so it makes no odds to me.

Creature
20-11-2009, 08:28 PM
a combination of original CDs and tracks purchased from 7Digital.com downloaded to my disco external harddrive.

so do I except Ive got a 32gig memory stick :):)

kilmeedyman
23-11-2009, 03:14 AM
With regards to karaoke and produb i heard that the prs do not own the rights to karaoke versions of songs? Therefore produb is not needed?

The question to ask yourself is:

Who wrote the words and music of the karaoke version of 'Angels'?

If you think the answer is Guy Chambers and Robbie Williams, the same as the original version, then you're correct. They are due royalties from copying of that track (including extra royalties for publishing the lyrics). The performer of the karaoke track would also be entitled to some royalties for the copying of the performance.

Therefore produb is needed with the karaoke extension for the track.

:police: