PDA

View Full Version : Budget active cabs

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-08-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm looking to get a couple of pairs for back up purposes, so they can be left in certain venues during December.

The likelihood is that they won't even get used, so I don't want to spend mega bucks.

Has anyone got any experience with either Tapco thump or The Box Thomann active cabs or any other ideas?

I am currently trawling though Ebay looking at second hand stuff, but wondered if anyone has experience of lower end active stuff.

I don't want to spend more than a grand on two pairs really.

djsteve10
25-08-2009, 01:04 PM
I haven't heard the Thumps but I have heard The Box Audio cabs from Thomann as a Tom Jones tribute act I was working with last year was using them. To be honest the don't sound that bad at all.

I know Spin Mobile Disco using some of the active Thumps so he will be able to tell you more.

Shakermaker Promotions
25-08-2009, 01:10 PM
Darren, what kind of price are you looking at for low end actives? I haven't got a clue and would've mentioned the DB Tech Basics that I use as they weren't that expensive when I bought them (around £550 the pair I think?) but that was around 4 years ago.

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Darren, what kind of price are you looking at for low end actives?
:D

I don't want to spend more than a grand on two pairs really.

Shakermaker Promotions
25-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Haha...Sorry I didn't see that. I reckon you could get 2 x pairs of the DB Tech Actives for under £1k easy. I just did a search and decks.co.uk are doing a pair for £479.00.

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Haha...Sorry I didn't see that. I reckon you could get 2 x pairs of the DB Tech Actives for under £1k easy. I just did a search and decks.co.uk are doing a pair for £479.00.

I know it's a difficult one to answer without knowing size of rooms, acoustics etc, but how many people roughly would you say you've used these for?

Spirits High
25-08-2009, 01:26 PM
Daz,

Have you thought about the W Audio PSR a range?

You should be able to get 2 pairs of the 12's for defo a grand might even find someone willing to deal on the 15's.

Shakermaker Promotions
25-08-2009, 01:26 PM
I know it's a difficult one to answer without knowing size of rooms, acoustics etc, but how many people roughly would you say you've used these for?

I used them the other week for 120 and they were fine.

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Daz,

Have you thought about the W Audio PSR a range?

You should be able to get 2 pairs of the 12's for defo a grand might even find someone willing to deal on the 15's.

It's the weight of the 15s that worry me Paul. I have a pair of the 8s so I know the sound quality.

I used them the other week for 120 and they were fine.

Thanks Gary.

Spirits High
25-08-2009, 01:38 PM
It's the weight of the 15s that worry me Paul. I have a pair of the 8s so I know the sound quality.

I know exactly what you mean. It's utter joy now to be able to carry 2 speakers at a time, one in each hand ;)

Adam_F
25-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Tapco Thumps weren't bad at all for the cost of them.

I'd of been happy to use them for a disco or an event. Better sound quality that the PSR active range.

For retailers that have them in stock still, you may be able to get a decent deal, as they have now been re-branded as Mackie Thumps (http://www.mackie.com/enews/2009/08/introducing_the_mackie_thump_t.html).

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-08-2009, 01:54 PM
For retailers that have them in stock still, you may be able to get a decent deal,

Have you got anything there Ad that you can recommend? ;)

Excalibur
25-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Tapco Thumps weren't bad at all for the cost of them.

I'd of been happy to use them for a disco or an event. Better sound quality that the PSR active range.

For retailers that have them in stock still, you may be able to get a decent deal, as they have now been re-branded as Mackie Thumps (http://www.mackie.com/enews/2009/08/introducing_the_mackie_thump_t.html).

Adam, there's a copy of them available up here in the North called "Ecky Thumps". :coat:

Adam_F
25-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Have you got anything there Ad that you can recommend? ;)

Kam Soundforce 15s (http://kam.co.uk/index.php?action=product&product_id=174)

I'd say they are a slight step down from PSR 15As, but still good value, and you'd get two pairs for £1k

OR.....

Come up to the Midlands Meet on the 8th September, and listen to some for yourself :p

music-2-play
25-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Have you considered the Studiospares Fortissimo range? They have full range actives in 10, 12 and 15" and a 15" moulded sub. I was told by one of the guys at Studiospares they're unbranded Carsboro Gamma actives, built in the same factory to the same internal spec, just a little more rough around the edges with the cabinet. The two ranges have different specs on paper though, so I'm not sure how true that is, but you can get a pair of 12"s for about £450/15" £480 (abouit £100 less than the Gammas). I've bought light items from Thomann (LED Par Cans etc...one of which I had to return immediately as it burnt out after five minutes, though they did pay for return by DHL), but I'd be hesitant about buying anything of questionable quality that was as bulky as a speaker cab. At least with Studiospares, there's a London shop to return it to, not a huge drive from Reading. Though I have no experience with the Fortissimos, I've always found Studiospares other own brand gear great value/quality for money. Quite a few guys on forums I go on seem to rate them. The Fortissimo 15"s are a little more expensive than a pair of Thumps, but they have a signiifcantly higher SPL and RMS rating (Thumps are only 200w RMS each) and a slightly wider compression driver. They do look pretty ugly compared to the Thumps though.

I know that specs on paper often mean very little and there's many inconsistent standards to measure SPLs etc, so by no means am I suggesting they're conclusively better --- just worth considering.

spin mobile disco
25-08-2009, 04:37 PM
I use the tapcos as my smaller rig speakers and for backup. They are pretty good all round. Not the loudest but the quility is fine the sound is good they are the lightest active speaker I have ever used. And pretty well priced.

Forgot the bass response is pretty good as well.

Sapphire Disco
25-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Worth a look

http://www.desgreymusic.co.uk/speakers/studiomaster-3/studiomaster-vpx15-15-active-speaker.html

flatliners
25-08-2009, 10:27 PM
what about these http://www.studiospares.com/PA-Speakers/Studiospares-Fortissimo-15A-Active-Single/invt/248260

Tom
26-08-2009, 07:11 PM
what about these http://www.studiospares.com/PA-Speakers/Studiospares-Fortissimo-15A-Active-Single/invt/248260

I have a pair of these. Not bad cabs for the money but they are rather heavy.

Need to shift them. If your interested, give me a pm. :)

WWDJ
26-08-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm looking at getting a pair of PSR-15A's after hearing a friend use them they sound pretty good to me. The weight doesn't bother me paticularly thought they are a bit of pain to get on stands.

I want some 15's so i don't have to lug my sub (40kgs) to kids parties where my SRM450's just don't give it enough for the RnB and Dance stuff. I'm not expecting sub like bass, just an improvement on the bass response of the SRM450's which can be a bit 'toppy' at times.

Are the PSR15A's the best for circa £500 a pair ?

Tom
26-08-2009, 08:08 PM
I want some 15's so i don't have to lug my sub (40kgs) to kids parties where my SRM450's just don't give it enough for the RnB and Dance stuff. I'm not expecting sub like bass, just an improvement on the bass response of the SRM450's which can be a bit 'toppy' at times.

Really. :eek:

The bass I get out of my SRM450 V2's is rather impressive. :D

As for the top end, turn the treble down on the mixer. lol. ;)

WWDJ
26-08-2009, 08:14 PM

Yeah it's not bad out of the SRM450 V1's, I just think on their own they sound a bit 'pushed' with RnB and Dance (paticularly Pendulum, Scooter etc with a popular with the young audiences

It will enable me to leave my sub in my regular venue where 80% of my gigs are, yet have something that is good for the teenage parties which tend to be in the village hall rather than the social club.

The sub is just really bulky to handle plus it is getting knocked moving it about.

Another reason why I like the PSR15A's is the covers come with them. for 2.5 hr teenage gigs I can leave them in situ which reduces setup / take down times a little.

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-08-2009, 08:20 PM

We worked with a tribute a couple of weeks back and he was using them and they did sound very poor I have to say. He was distorting them somewhat too. Probably the way he set them up.

Tom
26-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Yeah it's not bad out of the SRM450 V1's, I just think on their own they sound a bit 'pushed' with RnB and Dance (paticularly Pendulum, Scooter etc with a popular with the young audiences

Ahh OK, I see. lol.

We worked with a tribute a couple of weeks back and he was using them and they did sound very poor I have to say. He was distorting them somewhat too. Probably the way he set them up.

I think it could of been how it was set up as I really do push my speakers sometimes and they never distort or sound poor at all. :)

WWDJ
26-08-2009, 09:10 PM
I think it could of been how it was set up as I really do push my speakers sometimes and they never distort or sound poor at all. :)

Difficult to get wrong really. Set them to 11pm so they have a bit of headroom and adjust mixer accordingly.

I've never had the mixer beyond 1/2 way with each channel hitting 0db, so in theory there is plenty to go.

I think they would cook though if it went up further, they do get a tad warm. i,e that hot that you can't leave your hand on there.

DJ INDIE
26-08-2009, 09:58 PM
for £500 the PSRs are great - reliable, good sound and the covers mean theyre always in immaculate condition.

i have a pair and i bought Pauls (spirits high) pair, great for the money - although now theyre up around the £600 new, as word is catching on.

Darren, have you considered the W-audio 1000w gig rig? 1 big sub and 2 satellites for around £499! ? 2 of those would be a great buy.

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-08-2009, 11:06 AM
for £500 the PSRs are great - reliable, good sound and the covers mean theyre always in immaculate condition.

i have a pair and i bought Pauls (spirits high) pair, great for the money - although now theyre up around the £600 new, as word is catching on.

Darren, have you considered the W-audio 1000w gig rig? 1 big sub and 2 satellites for around £499! ? 2 of those would be a great buy.

I'm trying not to go for subs as the room is 2nd floor in a Hotel and the bass does tend to reverberate round the Hotel a bit!

DJMaxG
27-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Has anyone got any experience with either Tapco thump or The Box Thomann active cabs or any other ideas?

I know someone who uses 12" 'The Box' Cabs as their main rig, plus adding a sub for the larger venues.

I'm sure I have already answered the thread yesterday though
(perhaps it's still pending approval)

Carlsbro Gammas offer great sound and I have heard them (passive 12s) for only £250 ish per cab, available in Passive and Active variants.

The PSRs look okay ish, and other forum DJs use them, so heads up.

Excalibur
27-08-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm looking at getting a pair of PSR-15A's after hearing a friend use them they sound pretty good to me. The weight doesn't bother me paticularly thought they are a bit of pain to get on stands.

Are the PSR15A's the best for circa £500 a pair ?
Only if you're determined to use actives. ;) ;)

Not as impressive as some big heavy low cost chipboard cabs I use, I'd guess. ;) ;) ;) :D :D :D

It's been known. :(

Difficult to get wrong really. Set them to 11pm so they have a bit of headroom and adjust mixer accordingly.

I've never had the mixer beyond 1/2 way with each channel hitting 0db, so in theory there is plenty to go.

I think they would cook though if it went up further, they do get a tad warm. i,e that hot that you can't leave your hand on there.
Thought that was the V1's? Aren't the V2's icy cool?

I'm trying not to go for subs as the room is 2nd floor in a Hotel and the bass does tend to reverberate round the Hotel a bit!
Ah. Well that rules out my second favourite cabs then. :( :( Especially since they're not active.

DazzyD
27-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Been looking through the thread and, as if by magic, I got my latest mini-catalogue from Disco World up here in Hartlepool. One of the featured speakers was this:

http://www.disco-world.co.uk/speakers/studiomaster-vpx-15-active-speakers-pair-/prod_256.html

I can't vouch for the quality but I would expect StudioMaster kit to be fairly decent and do a good job.

Anyone used them before as I'm thinking of parting with some hard-earned for some?

Solitaire Events Ltd
27-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Paul Diamondgeezer does and he raves about them.

DJ Jules
27-08-2009, 08:05 PM
I can't vouch for the quality but I would expect StudioMaster kit to be fairly decent and do a good job.

Anyone used them before as I'm thinking of parting with some hard-earned for some?

One of the shops down here in Bristol swears by them. I've auditioned a pair and they're pretty good for the money, but they do what most cheaper cabs do and get harsher (i.e. rely heavily on the compression horn) as the volume goes up. Pairing them with the Studiomaster active sub makes a massive difference to the volume and quality of the output as it frees the 15" drivers in the tops up to deal with the 200hz+ range properly! Oh yeah, and they're quite heavy too (for a plastic cab) as they have a stonking great transformer in them, bolted to the back of the cab.

I've noticed that the Studiomaster range look very similar to the Studiospares own brand (anyone noticed the similarity between the Maplin's actives and the Carlsbro Gamma's yet?) Ultimately I suspect the ABS casings are all being knocked out of the same mould somewhere in China, but obviously there could be big differences in the drivers and the driving electronics. Given that they're all about the same price though, I doubt it... :D

Julian

DazzyD
27-08-2009, 08:51 PM
The speakers I use now are all ABS plastic casing and I am looking to add some actives but keep the overall look of the setup so I think they'd be good for that.

As I've mentioned before, funds are limited until the new year when we can count up the festive season income. I think I'll add a pair of these to my list for Santa but, as with previous years, I think he'll come up short again so I'll have to buy them myself! ;)

DJ Jules
27-08-2009, 08:56 PM
As I've mentioned before, funds are limited until the new year when we can count up the festive season income. I think I'll add a pair of these to my list for Santa but, as with previous years, I think he'll come up short again so I'll have to buy them myself! ;)

I got a pair of PSR-8a's for my birthday :o

Santa has a bit of a limited budget these days. The JBL EON 510's are on my xmas list along with a pair of moving head lights and a new set of 250w or HID Barrel and mirror scan's - I think Santa might need a bigger sleigh :D

Julian

DazzyD
27-08-2009, 09:15 PM
I got a pair of PSR-8a's for my birthday :o

Santa has a bit of a limited budget these days. The JBL EON 510's are on my xmas list along with a pair of moving head lights and a new set of 250w or HID Barrel and mirror scan's - I think Santa might need a bigger sleigh :D

Julian

Hope you've been a good boy!

Sapphire Disco
27-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Paul Diamondgeezer does and he raves about them.

I use Studiomaster VX15 Tops & VSX15 Subs I can't fault them , would probably change them for RCF if I got the chance but I am really happy with what I've got for the money they cost.

WWDJ
27-08-2009, 10:39 PM
Only if you're determined to use actives. ;) ;)

Yes as I don't have seperate amplifiers.

I'm a committed 'Active' user from a convenience point of view and because I already have an Active setup, this will compliment / backup it.

I will probably plump for a pair of PSR15A's, but they didn't have them in Brum today as I would have picked up a pair. (Sorry Adam, if I didn't say hello and introduce myself, i'm a bit shy without a mic in my hand!)

As it stands I have decided to mull it over for a few days to see if I REALLY need them.

I could do with selling my backup SRM450 V1 that has sat in my garage for about 18 months unused in order to fund this too. Never been giggged. It also includes a padded bag ... any offers ?

DJ Jules
28-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Hope you've been a good boy!

Not that good! ;)

Julian