PDA

View Full Version : Could someone have a quick butchers......

DeckstarDeluxe
26-08-2009, 09:01 PM
at my main homepage. Site is in its very early days as recently moved server and using a better design program now.

What I really need to know is the main page is displaying on peoples computers ok because last time I asked for help I remember a few people brought this issue up, so before I go into editing all the various pages I'd like to make sure the size I have set for the main page is ok.

Many thanks guys!

www.deckstardeluxe.co.uk (http://www.deckstardeluxe.co.uk)

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-08-2009, 09:04 PM
The main text is rather large!

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-08-2009, 09:04 PM
And btw, you spelt corporate wrong!

DeckstarDeluxe
26-08-2009, 09:08 PM
And btw, you spelt corporate wrong!

SSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH>> :(

Sorted that now.

Size wise of the buttons and where the text finishes is ok?

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Looks like this on my screen...

DeckstarDeluxe
26-08-2009, 09:20 PM
thanks for that Darren

btw why arent you using Vista, much better ;)

WWDJ
26-08-2009, 09:23 PM
the home page is left justified, but the rest is centre justified ?

I'd say the buttons were too big width wise and make a bit more space between them and the text to the right of them. Also consider changing the colour of the text when you hover over them. This can be easily done with Cascading Style Sheets.

Finally, you might want to try putting your buttons into html on their own and doing an include. This way you only need to do the links and coding of the buttons once. Just isolate the table with the buttons in one piece of html and use an include to 'include' it in the other pages.

there is plenty on the web about it.

Solitaire Events Ltd
26-08-2009, 09:24 PM
thanks for that Darren

btw why arent you using Vista, much better ;)

My main office PC is in for an engineers report. It's a touch screen and it appears that the graphics chip is playing silly buggers, so I might have to have the mobo replaced. Therefore I am using another PC with is XP, which is much faster and less bloated than Vista IMO.

I hava Vista machine 2 feet to my left but would rather use this one. Bring on Windows 7, that's all I can say. ;)

DeckstarDeluxe
26-08-2009, 09:30 PM
the home page is left justified, but the rest is centre justified ?

I'd say the buttons were too big width wise and make a bit more space between them and the text to the right of them. Also consider changing the colour of the text when you hover over them. This can be easily done with Cascading Style Sheets.

Finally, you might want to try putting your buttons into html on their own and doing an include. This way you only need to do the links and coding of the buttons once. Just isolate the table with the buttons in one piece of html and use an include to 'include' it in the other pages.

there is plenty on the web about it.

I did say in the original post that I wanted to get the home page in the right places before I go formatting the other pages the same. As I say its in very early days of development.

I hear what your saying about the html buttons been doing it the long winded way for past ten minutes ;)

Penfold42
26-08-2009, 10:20 PM
I can see it. :)

You have two tele numbers....should one not be mobile? :)

WWDJ
26-08-2009, 10:23 PM
I did say in the original post that I wanted to get the home page in the right places before I go formatting the other pages the same. As I say its in very early days of development.

I hear what your saying about the html buttons been doing it the long winded way for past ten minutes ;)

In that case I would go with centre justified. With big wide screens in use nowadays it's the best way.

Yeah your HTML buttons will take you ages, 13 pages of 13 buttons. Best to do it once ...

DeckstarDeluxe
26-08-2009, 10:25 PM
I can see it. :)

You have two tele numbers....should one not be mobile? :)

the landline redirects to my mobile :D

Penfold42
26-08-2009, 10:28 PM
the landline redirects to my mobile :D

Will people get charged for that? :)

DeckstarDeluxe
26-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Will people get charged for that? :)

No they still pay the cost of calling my landline.

I have to pay virgin I think its either £1.50 or £2.50 p/m for the divert service plus I have to pay for the cost of ringing from my landline to my mobile.

More than pays for itself several times over I find.

Jiggles
26-08-2009, 10:35 PM

Make them in one file then use PHP require to include them?

Marc J
27-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Make them in one file then use PHP require to include them?

Hasn't that already been suggested, Callum?

What you should keep in mind if using the common menu include is that from a design point of view pages shouldn't link to themselves and the current page should also probably be displayed differently, so your common menu code has to determine (or have passed to it) which page is current and output accordingly...

rob1963
27-08-2009, 10:31 AM
I think the text needs moving to the right a little.

It displays on my screen in a similar way to Darrren's, so the text at the top is tight against the edge of the page, and the text further down is tight against the buttons.

I also agree that the buttons are too wide.

Hope this helps.

:)

DJWilson
28-08-2009, 12:18 AM
Ive noticed quite a lot of blank black space at the bottom, maybe remove it?

Jiggles
28-08-2009, 01:10 AM
Hasn't that already been suggested, Callum?

No doesn't seem like it.

Marc J
28-08-2009, 09:10 AM
No doesn't seem like it.

I quoted the post as a clue :confused:

Starlight
28-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Hi there.

Just had a quick peep around your website and looked on your 'Meet the DJ' page. Although I see a nice picture of you, Neil, that page to me sounds like an 'About Us' page. Maybe change the 'Meet the DJ' text to 'About Your DJ'?

Also I notice in your text there is a lot of us this and us that:

"I have always had a passion for music and have always been amazed at the effect that music has on your moods and how your moods can affect your choice of music!(.? Loose the ful stop) Using this along with our experience and knowledge, we can cater for everyones' musical tastes and preferences to get your grandchildren and other loved ones up to dance the night away! Seeing people dancing, smiling and laughing gives me a real buzz and satisfaction and makes the effort we put into your shows worth it".

The words highlighted is what I've replaced and added because to me, there are too many 'our's mentioned in your text. If you word it my way including "you" this, "you" that, it's a more personal touch IMO. And finally the ' after 'everyones', the inverted comma goes after the last word because you are talking about several people.

Hope this help, Neil ;)

Neil M.

DeckstarDeluxe
27-09-2009, 08:53 PM
ok been working hard at this site over the weekend again but alot of it has been meta tags etc..........

Naturally my spelling/grammer is awful but I cant see any issues.

Thoughts please?

Plus anyone know how long it takes for new meta tags to take effect?

Marc J
28-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Neil, from a very quick look two things jump right out at me: -

1) Lose the page transition effect - it's 'naff' and only highlights the fact that your position of elements on the page (for example the header) is not common throughout the site.
2) Why does the "home" menu item have a JS menu flying out from it, which has the same items as the rest of the buttons below?

Plus anyone know how long it takes for new meta tags to take effect?
That depends....could be months (if at all)!

DeckstarDeluxe
28-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Hi Marc, thanks for taking the time to have a look!

Ive gotta have a look at that issue regarding the menu popup as its new software and Im still new to website design but Im sure thats easy to sort.

I'll have a look at the page transitions when I get some time tomorrow night.

Penfold42
28-09-2009, 07:46 PM
Could someone have a quick butchers......

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/08_02/ReidAsFrank_468x663.jpg

Sorry......:p :D