PDA

View Full Version : email address at domain name

DeckstarDeluxe
05-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Firstly thanks for Dan for sorting out the transfer of my site from bt to NADJ hosting

Now got a new site which is better than the one before plus I can see where it can improve.

Now because I was using my bt address before I need to get a new one as I hate having a hotmail address on there.

Does anyone know how to get the email address @your domain name

for me being something like deckstardeluxe or [email protected]

Solitaire Events Ltd
05-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Where did you get your domain name from?

My email was included when I bought the domain name.

DeckstarDeluxe
05-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Where did you get your domain name from?

My email was included when I bought the domain name.

I got it through bt but as Ive said I got the "pointers" or something to direct it to the nadj site.

Because it was bt I had the @btconnect.com email with it. Nothing mentioned about having an @domainname.com one

Jiggles
05-09-2009, 04:20 PM
What kind of web manager is it? Cpanel? If so take a look here: http://www.cyberhostpro.com/customers/support/show-tutorial.asp?title=How%20to%20create%20a%20POP%20e mail%20account%20in%20cPanel&location=cpanel&target=cpanel-popemail.swf

Marc J
05-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Your nameservers will be pointing to the NADJ hosting server, and so you should have some kind of login for a control panel of some sort (cPanel / Pleskl etc.) where you can configure mailboxes etc. for your domain.

DeckstarDeluxe
05-09-2009, 04:52 PM
using webplus x2 and cant see anything on there.

Cpanel and pleskl dont ring any bells with me.

Take it I need to download one of them to get it set up?

Marc J
05-09-2009, 05:07 PM
Your host seems to be www.dimehost.com, who use cPanel.

You should have login details for www.deckstardeluxe.co.uk/cpanel

If you don't, ask your reseller (in this case, NADJ).

DeckstarDeluxe
05-09-2009, 05:17 PM
Your host seems to be www.dimehost.com (http://www.dimehost.com), who use cPanel.

You should have login details for www.deckstardeluxe.co.uk/cpanel (http://www.deckstardeluxe.co.uk/cpanel)

If you don't, ask your reseller (in this case, NADJ).

Yes I have login details for the ftp to upload my site so Im guessing its the same for that. That is done through webplus but it says nothing regarding emails.

Marc J
05-09-2009, 05:19 PM
Try to log in to cPanel, then see what's available. If control of mailboxes is there, see Callum's link above.

I just noticed a mistake in my earlier email, your host is actually www.hostdime.com, not the other way round! Their Knowledge Base (https://desk.hostdime.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=view) will probably apply to your hosting account, too.

DeckstarDeluxe
05-09-2009, 05:24 PM
ah i didnt know if you input www.deckstardeluxe.co.uk/cpanel it would open up.

Thanks alot Marc looks like Im in.

DJMaxG
06-09-2009, 01:50 AM
This is the worst downside to domain based addresses, if your domain expires or you move hosting etc, then you can obviously miss crucial emails.

It is much safer (maybe less professional) to use a Hotmail account for instance.

Vectis
06-09-2009, 07:01 AM
This is the worst downside to domain based addresses, if your domain expires or you move hosting etc, then you can obviously miss crucial emails.

It is much safer (maybe less professional) to use a Hotmail account for instance.

Any so-called Professional wouldn't allow this to happen!

And as for moving hosts, you'd arrange it so that there was an overlap of service, so unless you were unlucky enough to receive a lucrative email during the very few milliseconds that the routing data changed you'd be fine.

Alternatively you could always have auto-forwarders configured to copy all domain-based email to a non-publicised webmail account from BOTH hosts (even if just for the transition and not a permanent configuration). Then, unless you receive dozens of emails a minute, you'd be very unlucky to lose anything.

Rowleys
06-09-2009, 07:20 AM
move your website to my server and your domain and you can have unlimited email address with your domain ..

PM me for my info

i can do it all for you

£free :P

discomobiledj
06-09-2009, 07:27 AM

Says it all really Max. When you eventually start doing discos as a business rather than sitting in your bedroom then you can make sensible posts on these sorts of threads. Hotmail is so unprofessional (IMO) and I would never deal with anyone who was using hotmail or yahoo as an email account.

Anyway, back on topic...

Marc J
06-09-2009, 07:31 AM

Sorry, but this is (in my opinion) just rubbish! If you have the facility to do so you should always use your domain based email address. Why would you let your domain expire?

And as for moving hosts, you'd arrange it so that there was an overlap of service, so unless you were unlucky enough to receive a lucrative email during the very few milliseconds that the routing data changed you'd be fine.

Alternatively you could always have auto-forwarders configured to copy all domain-based email to a non-publicised webmail account from BOTH hosts (even if just for the transition and not a permanent configuration). Then, unless you receive dozens of emails a minute, you'd be very unlucky to lose anything.

:agree: Although, when moving hosts it can take up to 72 hours (in practice usually a lot quicker) for nameserver changes to propagate fully, during which time email can still be routed to the old server. Martin's second solution negates this nicely, though :)

There are many downsides to using a free, web based email address...which you obviously haven't taken into consideration.

Danno13
06-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Sorry only just seen this, as I was working on an all-day Wedding yesterday (literally, I left at 9 to be there for half 11 and didn't get in till 3am!)

Neil, hopefully you've found what you need now, but if not - log into cPanel, and i think it's the 2nd batch of icons down the page - should be options to setup email accounts, forwarders, auto-replies etc. All pretty straight forward, put let me know if you get stuck.

DeckstarDeluxe
06-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Sorry only just seen this, as I was working on an all-day Wedding yesterday (literally, I left at 9 to be there for half 11 and didn't get in till 3am!)

Neil, hopefully you've found what you need now, but if not - log into cPanel, and i think it's the 2nd batch of icons down the page - should be options to setup email accounts, forwarders, auto-replies etc. All pretty straight forward, put let me know if you get stuck.

No worries Dan. All sorted now thanks to Marc's help :D

DJMaxG
06-09-2009, 03:49 PM
you could always have auto-forwarders configured to copy all domain-based email to a non-publicised webmail account from BOTH hosts (even if just for the transition and not a permanent configuration). Then, unless you receive dozens of emails a minute, you'd be very unlucky to lose anything.

There are even systems out there (software) that will allow you to Send emails from any address. So I could send an email from, for instance
[email protected] or anything.

These, I believe are used by companies to distribute junk mail and get through your spam filters.

Have a look at Group Mail.

Marc J
06-09-2009, 04:07 PM
There are even systems out there (software) that will allow you to Send emails from any address. So I could send an email from, for instance
[email protected] or anything.

These, I believe are used by companies to distribute junk mail and get through your spam filters.

Have a look at Group Mail.

You can configure your email client to display any address (i.e, [email protected]) as the "from" address, and the address you choose will receive any replies or bounce receipts etc.

This is called "spoofing" and is the reason you might receive hundreds of "undelivered" bounces to an address that didn't send the original emails. Spammers just "spoof" a random address, it usually happens for a few days and then moves on, and addresses used will not be added to spam filters etc. (as it is so easy to fake the from address and unfair to punish the innocent party).

Until all server operators insist on SMTP authentication to send email this is just one of those things you have to live with.

DeckstarDeluxe
06-09-2009, 05:10 PM
Sorry theres some people on here that clearly havent read my OP.

Rowleys, many thanks for your offer but I had already stated to moved to the NADJ hosting which I pay for already in membership (alongside receiving many other advantages)

Max. I dont want to spam people. I still have access to my bt email address but I have now emailed all my clients that Im currently dealing with about the change. The hotmail one was listed on my site for new enquries and now has been changed to the domain name email address.