PDA

View Full Version : The Wedding tonight....

Shakermaker Promotions
05-09-2009, 04:18 PM
This morning I got to bed at around 4.30am after my monthly Alternative Night residency. It went really well and I made a few quid which was cool.

Tonight I have a wedding which I have mentioned elsewhere already on the forum. It's at the same venue I was at last weekend.

Some of my gear has been in the venue all week because the venue had nothing on all week. I went in yesterday afternoon to put in the Uplighting and then got up this morning and went there early-ish to put my last bits in (CD players etc). The place looks lovely and it should be a good function.

Anyway, the Bride is one of those people that wants everything perfect (the Groom is pretty laid back), and rightly so as it's her (their) big day. I've had my meeting with them a few months back and had emails on a weekly basis regarding song requests and how she wants the night to pan out etc etc. The venue owner mentioned to me yesterday that she has also been up to the venue about 10 times asking questions etc etc so I think she is a bit of a worrier.

Two weeks ago she called me asking if it would be possible for me to take some extra speakers and a radio mic and put them outside so that everyone could hear the speeches etc and ceremony as they were having it in the big gazebo in the grounds of the venue. I said it wouldn't be a problem at all but it would cost extra for the time and equipment to be set up so I quoted her a bit extra. She totally understood and agreed but then the next day she called to say that she had changed her mind and that they would sort something out themselves. Not a problem.

Now, today for some reason I feel really knackered so I thought I would TRY and get my head down for an hour and have a kip so I'm refreshed for later. I can never sleep in the day but I was just dropping off and the phone rang and I missed the call. A voicemail was left and it was the wedding planner saying that they wanted to put an I-Pod through my system so that they could have some background music. I called back but had to leave a voicemail myself so I informed them that I wasn't happy with someone touching my equipment whilst I wasn't there and that my PLI didn't cover someone else on my equipment should it be damaged...also that background music was never mentioned before. I haven't had a call back as yet.

Now, I am really looking forward to tonight as I know it will be a good one but I am on a downer now because I feel like I have let them down a bit (even though it was never mentioned previously) but also because I don't want to turn up to find that my equipment has been tampered with because then I would have to make a point of mentioning it which could be awkward as I may appear to be un-accomodating??

What would you do and how would you deal with this should it be the case when I arrive later?

Fingers crossed that nothing is damaged, not just for my sake but for theirs because I would hate something to go wrong because someone has no respect for my stuff.

DeckstarDeluxe
05-09-2009, 05:53 PM
I would of done what you did Gary.

gaza
06-09-2009, 10:18 AM
This morning I got to bed at around 4.30am after my monthly Alternative Night residency. It went really well and I made a few quid which was cool.

Tonight I have a wedding which I have mentioned elsewhere already on the forum. It's at the same venue I was at last weekend.

Some of my gear has been in the venue all week because the venue had nothing on all week. I went in yesterday afternoon to put in the Uplighting and then got up this morning and went there early-ish to put my last bits in (CD players etc). The place looks lovely and it should be a good function.

Anyway, the Bride is one of those people that wants everything perfect (the Groom is pretty laid back), and rightly so as it's her (their) big day. I've had my meeting with them a few months back and had emails on a weekly basis regarding song requests and how she wants the night to pan out etc etc. The venue owner mentioned to me yesterday that she has also been up to the venue about 10 times asking questions etc etc so I think she is a bit of a worrier.

Two weeks ago she called me asking if it would be possible for me to take some extra speakers and a radio mic and put them outside so that everyone could hear the speeches etc and ceremony as they were having it in the big gazebo in the grounds of the venue. I said it wouldn't be a problem at all but it would cost extra for the time and equipment to be set up so I quoted her a bit extra. She totally understood and agreed but then the next day she called to say that she had changed her mind and that they would sort something out themselves. Not a problem.

Now, today for some reason I feel really knackered so I thought I would TRY and get my head down for an hour and have a kip so I'm refreshed for later. I can never sleep in the day but I was just dropping off and the phone rang and I missed the call. A voicemail was left and it was the wedding planner saying that they wanted to put an I-Pod through my system so that they could have some background music. I called back but had to leave a voicemail myself so I informed them that I wasn't happy with someone touching my equipment whilst I wasn't there and that my PLI didn't cover someone else on my equipment should it be damaged...also that background music was never mentioned before. I haven't had a call back as yet.

Now, I am really looking forward to tonight as I know it will be a good one but I am on a downer now because I feel like I have let them down a bit (even though it was never mentioned previously) but also because I don't want to turn up to find that my equipment has been tampered with because then I would have to make a point of mentioning it which could be awkward as I may appear to be un-accomodating??

What would you do and how would you deal with this should it be the case when I arrive later?

Fingers crossed that nothing is damaged, not just for my sake but for theirs because I would hate something to go wrong because someone has no respect for my stuff.

Gaza
I have had a couple of people in the last few months ask if it would be ok to use my equipment for the speeches and background music, but they have not wanted to pay for the extra time of me being there.
One couple that were having the reception in a very smart Venue had agreed the price for the evening Disco, then they said that they would like to use my gear for the speeches, so i explained that there would be extra cost involved and they said " no you don't have to be there, just leave some instructions on how to use the equipment" :eek:
After speaking to them three or four times i actually turned the gig down.