PDA

View Full Version : Help / Advice please

Shakermaker Promotions
20-09-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi all,

Used my DB Technolgies Actives for a wedding last night.
Usually I go out of the 'Master' Output on my mixer which is Phono to XLR and then XLR to XLR Speaker input.
Last night I thought I would try (did it the other week with no problems) from the 'Balanced XLR' on the mixer and straight to the XLR inputs on the speakers.

Never noticed it before (maybe it was a first), BUT there were a couple of occasions when the sound coming from the speakers sounding as if it was distorting. The volume wasn't up stupidly loud. I noticed that when I touched the XLR lead by the connection, the volume increased and went distorted but once I 'jiggled' it about a bit. it was fine...then later on it would do it again?

As far as I know, the speakers are fine. I use (can't remember the make) 'Professional Low Noise XLR leads'. Does it make a difference if they are microphone leads? (Silly question I know - Sorry).
Could it be the Balanced XLR outputs on the mixer?
I didn't have enough time to swap over during the evening as I was midway through the function when I noticed it and it put me on edge as I always like everything to be perfect.
Could it be the XLR connections on the speakers?

As I said, never noticed it before and I am going to test them in the house tomorrow. They have been fine with the Phono to XLR leads before but after last night, who knows?

Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Shakermaker Promotions
20-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Tested it out this afternoon. Tried both ways:

Balanced XLR from mixer to XLR on Speaker - Fine.
Master Output (Phono to XLR) to XLR and then Speaker - Fine.

I'll put it down to maybe a dodgy lead although saying that. I used the same leads as I used last night? Oh well, best time to check properly will be a soundcheck pre-gig.