PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for Charity?

DJNutter
21-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Hi all,
Just wondered what if anything, you do for charity events?
I’m wondering if I am being too soft or not..:confused:
Currently I do 2 freebies a year for registered charities – I’ve already done one this year (Alzheimer’s) which was a combined comedy night and also I’m booked for the 20th November (My Birthday):( for a ladies night also to raise money for Alzheimer’s.
I think I’ve got it about right, it does promote my business and there is that feel good factor.
I also do 4 events at 50% discount per year, I tend to turn down full paid events as I feel guilty taking money for charity events.
Would be interested to know what the rest of you do.

Cheers :beer1:

Nutter

Shaun
21-09-2009, 03:16 PM
I do one freebie a year for a local charity. Every other charity enquiry is charged at full rate.

ppentertainments
21-09-2009, 03:27 PM
My sons scout group and a small local school get a freebie and everything else is full price.

My understanding, based in experience is :

Free Gigs = More people wanting free gigs
Cheap Gigs = More people wanting cheap gigs

The freebies I do is my contribution to the fundraising and nothing to do with business.

Don't think you will be appreciated more offering a cheaper or free price either :(

Ryu
21-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Reduced rate for charity gig enquiries within a reasonable area, Freebies if I have some personal connection to the host or charity. No set rule really.

I've found the vibe of charity events is such that they tend to be good nights, everyone there for a worthy reason, and we've had follow on gigs (at standard prices) from every one we've done.

DJNutter
21-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Hmmm...

So basicly I'm too soft - Maybe I should just stick to 2 freebies and the rest full price then.

I was gunna ask if you felt guilty about charging full price but I suppose you already answered that. :D

I'll have to toughen up !:bang:

rob1963
21-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Booking wise, I don't really do charity gigs. They don't seem to contact me to enquire, possibly because all my advertising is aimed at the wedding market.

I've certainly never done a gig for nothing, and only give discounts to people I know, although I'd probably give a similar reduction if I had an enquiry from a charity that was close to my heart.

However, my business sponsors a local charity that provides free football for local youngsters. Although I have absolutely no interest in football, that doesn't matter, because it's a PR thing, as I'm helping the charity financially & in return they have my business name and a link to my website on their own website.

Chris1984
21-09-2009, 04:06 PM
I organise a fund-raiser event called Scarefest.
Its a Halloween/fireworks event to raise money for the host scout campsite.
take a look http://www.scarefest.org
This year we are putting on a massive show with a full on waterscreen and laser show with the fireworks.
Its great fun, any scout leaders on here fancy getting involved?

Mark Wild
21-09-2009, 04:16 PM
I've done C.H.A.S and The Eve Appeal this year both at reduced rates but on the terms that my logo was put on the tickets and the posters for each event. I think I'll stick to 2 per year, as said there are alot of charities after our services free or on the cheap so you can't please them all.

Dynamic Entertainment
21-09-2009, 04:39 PM
I do one per year, the rest are at full price, but, if its something close to me then i will often make a small donation back to them. Even fundraisers/organisers realise that by being there, im possibly loosing a fully paid up gig.

Vectis
21-09-2009, 04:49 PM
I'm a committee member for Sandown Carnival (http://www.sandowncarnival.com) and actively involved in a whole bunch of events throughout the year which usually involves VV in one guise or another.

Mrs VV is a committee member for the IW Special Olympics group and therefore we jointly put on a party once a year usually in November as an 'end of season' thing.

Then I'll take each charity enquiry on its merits; mostly I'll offer full price but throw in some extras for free but very occasionally I will do an 'at-cost' gig if it's a charity that I have an affinity with.

:beer1:

NKR
21-09-2009, 05:09 PM
One free one a year for whoever collars us first. If no-one collars us we contact a few local charities to offer. It makes us feel good about ourselves.

visualdjmax
21-09-2009, 06:27 PM
x1 Charity (I would to say one gig a year but they have quite a few) A children's cancer care trust.

simonp
21-09-2009, 08:28 PM
I do a couple of bona fide - full on charity function gigs for free.

But for random nights where people are raising money for Charity (good example is I've been booked to DJ a Breast Cancer Pink Night on Oct 16th) I cut my fee by £100, and on the invoice it say's the original agreed price - below that is the (minus £100 which stipulates that the £100 goes to the Charity Box) - and the remainder is what I get paid.

This is obviously agreed before hand with whoever is booking/paying me.

ppentertainments
21-09-2009, 08:40 PM
As a side note, suggest to the charity that they pay your usual fee, then donate this fee back to them. This way they can claim tax from the donation.

Dynamic Entertainment
21-09-2009, 08:44 PM
As a side note, suggest to the charity that they pay your usual fee, then donate this fee back to them. This way they can claim tax from the donation.

Thats my way of looking at it with the couple that i make a donation back to Chris. PS - Hows PremierWeddingDJ coming along?

Marc J
22-09-2009, 08:37 AM
I host a few charity websites for free, and I have done a few local Rotary Club websites, again for free.

BeerFunk
22-09-2009, 08:48 AM
As a side note, suggest to the charity that they pay your usual fee, then donate this fee back to them. This way they can claim tax from the donation.Surely your fee would be taxable though, regardless of what you do with it afterwards? So rather than working for free (which is bad enough :)), you would be paying a tax percentage of your fee :confused:

ppentertainments
22-09-2009, 08:58 AM
PS - Hows PremierWeddingDJ coming along?

Slow - a lot of bookings through wedding fayres etc, but the website side I just don't have the time (or more importantly knowledge at the moment :( )

Is doing what I want ie bringing higher paying gigs in, and using PP Entertainments for the lower paid gigs where I often use one of my other DJ's.

DazzyD
22-09-2009, 09:03 AM
My business was originally set up to provide entertainment to charitable events. We haven't forgotten our roots and still do up to 2 charity nights per year at discounted rates. However, we are very selective as to the charities we support and consider each request carefully. I believe in running the business ethically and I am really selective in just about everything we do!

A point to remember, though, is that charity events can often have big budgets as, the way they see it, the better the event the better attended and supported it will be therefore raising more money. So if a charity contacts you offering to pay full price for your services then, in my opinion, you shouldn't feel guilty but I'd be rather flattered in that this organisation thinks that I'd be a valuable asset to their event!

rob1963
22-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Surely your fee would be taxable though, regardless of what you do with it afterwards? So rather than working for free (which is bad enough :)), you would be paying a tax percentage of your fee :confused:

That sounds about right to me.