PDA

View Full Version : Sky Lanterns At A Wedding

JTRS
22-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I did a wedding at the weekend (in the pre-event talks with the couple I mentioned that I could get some Sky Lanterns if they wanted and at the end of the night we would light them and release them) and it was a really nice ending to a good night.

All the guests came outside and we lit 12 of these lanterns and watched them rise up and drift away into the night sky.

I did this just to try something different, but I'd certainly do it again, firstly the party was due to finish at 1.00am but we went outside at 12.30 to do this and because it took a while it was after 1.00am when they finally drifted out of sight (everybody and I mean everybody stayed outside to watch them until they couldn't be seen anymore), so I got an earlier finish time than expected and several people commented how unusual it was and asked for my card, and the best bit was a bigger than usual tip from the happy couple.

If you're looking for something different to use at an event I'd 100% recommend them

JTRS

(Sky Lantern cost was £12.99 for 6)

JDB Entertainment
22-09-2009, 09:20 PM
Always a nice thing to have at a Wedding. These have been extremely popular at weddings this year as far as my bookings have gone.

Just out of interest where did you get these from?

James

visualdjmax
22-09-2009, 09:22 PM
My mate has just used these at his wifes 40th they look really cool.

Dynamic Entertainment
22-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Just to add my two pence. A lot of my venues have banned them. One nearly had its marquee burned down.

They have also been benned in a number of different countries, including Vietnam where they originate, because they have been known to cause wildfires/damage to property etc etc. A number of uk local authorities are also looking at the localised banning of them.

Before advertising them/suggesting them, i would seriously look at whether the venue/LA will allow them released.

Type in "Sky Lantern Banned" in google and its full of stories of problems.

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-09-2009, 09:36 PM
They had them at a wedding I did a couple of months ago. It was slightly concerning as it was in the country and there was a lot of thatched roofs about!

simonp
22-09-2009, 09:46 PM
They actually did the 'Chinese' lanterns (that's what they called them) at the wedding I did on Saturday, only they did them at 9.30 which kept people away from the dance floor for half an hour or so which was slightly annoying as it was like starting from scratch again when they eventually came back.

No fire hazard with these as it was a sea front venue in Ramsgate, and they all drifted out to sea

Tom
22-09-2009, 10:19 PM
Ahh don't worry about it. You will find LED version soon. :lol:.

rob1963
22-09-2009, 10:28 PM
Just to add my two pence. A lot of my venues have banned them. One nearly had its marquee burned down.

They have also been benned in a number of different countries, including Vietnam where they originate, because they have been known to cause wildfires/damage to property etc etc. A number of uk local authorities are also looking at the localised banning of them.

Before advertising them/suggesting them, i would seriously look at whether the venue/LA will allow them released.

Type in "Sky Lantern Banned" in google and its full of stories of problems.

I hadn't even heard of these until a couple of months ago, when a friend told me about them as they'd had them at a couple of weddings he's done recently.

A few weeks back I was doing a birthday party & they set off half a dozen.

Although I found it fascinating watching them, my first thoughts were also over safety. I couldn't help thinking what would happen if one got stuck in a tree & set light to it, or if one landed on some dry grass or maybe a field of straw.

I don't think it will be long until they're completely banned in the UK.

JTRS
22-09-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm obviously missing something here (maybe because I didn't do physics) but I thought the flame heated the air inside the lantern and because hot air rises the lantern floats upward. Only when the flame is exhausted does the air inside the lantern cool and then it drifts back down to earth, if the flame is out long before it lands how does a fire start?

JTRS

Vectis
22-09-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm obviously missing something here (maybe because I didn't do physics) but I thought the flame heated the air inside the lantern and because hot air rises the lantern floats upward. Only when the flame is exhausted does the air inside the lantern cool and then it drifts back down to earth, if the flame is out long before it lands how does a fire start?

JTRS

Ahem (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind) :o

Dynamic Entertainment
22-09-2009, 10:48 PM

JTRS

And what if the lantern catches fire? At my friends wedding we done them...with permission of the venue, and 3 caught fire before reaching getting above the roof line and a flaming hunk fell back to earth.

Seriously, type in the search, and you will see how many governments have banned their use becuse they have caused fires.

One extract:

“Some sky lanterns caught on fire and burned after flying only a few metres. I was so scared to see these burning lanterns fall very fast and drop directly into the crowd,” said Nguyen Tuyet Linh, who waited for the fireworks performance at Hoan Kiem Lake.

DJmissbehaving
22-09-2009, 10:48 PM
They actually did the 'Chinese' lanterns (that's what they called them) at the wedding I did on Saturday, only they did them at 9.30 which kept people away from the dance floor for half an hour or so which was slightly annoying as it was like starting from scratch again when they eventually came back.

No fire hazard with these as it was a sea front venue in Ramsgate, and they all drifted out to sea

there were chinese laterns in the sky near t in the park and it was so funny to hear all the very drunk people(not me of course) saying, "look at the UFO's" hahaha. All it took was a bit of innitiative to go and ask the security man what it was.....

spin mobile disco
22-09-2009, 11:32 PM
They have definatly been popular the last couple of years. One of my regular venue's has been releasing them at almost every wedding this year. And one of my other venues had an unfortunate fire in a tree last year from one.
They do not use a candle but use a fuel block that burns longer and is hotter. as such they can burn when a normal candle would have gone out. They look pretty but if you have any trees nearby they are a bit on the 'accident waiting to happen' list.

simonp
23-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Ahh don't worry about it. You will find LED version soon. :lol:.

:lol: :lol: Go Gadget Go....................

23-09-2009, 09:02 AM
I did a wedding a year or so ago at Southwold Pier, (awful load in/out but that's another story).

They stood on the beach and let about 20 of them off. All was going well, until one of them got to about 150ft and then caught fire and then fell just next to one of the lovely beach huts on the sea front, that's probably worth 4 million or something.

That was the cue for panic from the venue staff, who had to run over and stamp the thing out.

Kernow
23-09-2009, 12:36 PM
They have also been banned in a number of different countries, including Vietnam where they originate, because they have been known to cause wildfires/damage to property etc etc.

The poor mans' Napalm ?? ;)

simonp
23-09-2009, 04:06 PM
The poor mans' Napalm ?? ;)

love the smell of it in the morning ........:d

wensleydale
23-09-2009, 05:37 PM
the other thing is that apparently the metal left over gets eaten by a lot of cows in the country- cue very ill cow.

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-09-2009, 05:50 PM
And then in turn, steel hamburgers :sj:

Digitalsounds
23-09-2009, 08:01 PM
Bad for enviroment not very green are they,

i mean what happens to the lantern bit after it falls to ground , it becomes litter and if found you could be found liable i suspect

rob1963
23-09-2009, 10:39 PM
i mean what happens to the lantern bit after it falls to ground , it becomes litter and if found you could be found liable i suspect

How on earth would anyone finding a used lantern know where it came from or who released it?

:shrug:

pdarnett
24-09-2009, 01:20 PM
had one land on a porche boxter (soft top) in the car park and had one land on the propane tank for the caterers at a marquee wedding. Luckily both dealt with quickly, but neither incident organised by me thank goodness

Kernow
24-09-2009, 04:07 PM
How on earth would anyone finding a used lantern know where it came from or who released it?

Watch "CSI" or "Waking the Dead" Rob ;)
Although these extremes would probably only be used in a case of Arson causing risk to life. it has been widely reported that some Local Authority zealots have even utilised anti-terrorism powers to catch fly-tippers etc :eek:

:D

yourdj
24-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Yes problems with health and safety.

Very nice but i would not like to be responsible for a tree or a house burning down.

I did this once and several people got hit in the head by them!

DJNutter
24-09-2009, 08:20 PM
Suppose you could go for boat lanterns (If you are near water) biodegradable of course.

But I'm sure the fun police would soon arrive with some PC (no pun intended) reason for banning them also ! :Naughty: :doh:

Digitalsounds
24-09-2009, 11:30 PM

Lets start with fingerprints then move on to DNA if it were to be investigated correctly ,

but to be honest i just think they are an accident in the making

JTRS
25-09-2009, 08:39 AM
Lets start with fingerprints then move on to DNA if it were to be investigated correctly ,

I would have thought a fire would burn any trace of fingerprints or DNA!

JTRS

WWDJ
25-09-2009, 08:57 AM
After reading all this, they just seem downright dangerous. I've never been asked but I would refuse to be part of it. i'm not keen on fireworks but at least they are designed to burn out fairly quickly, and generally have a more predictable outcome.

Pe7e
25-09-2009, 10:23 AM

How on earth are DNA samples and finger prints going to be lifted from ash? because that's all that will be left after it has landed on, and set fire to a building, tree, barn etc.
But you are right, at worst, these things are an accident waiting to happen, at best, they are indiscriminately littering of the environment with the remnants.