PDA

View Full Version : Card payment machines

Spirits High
25-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Done a quick search but there's nothing newish on this so.

While I was away on the "networking" trip I got chatting to Danno about amongst other things how he does his card payments over the phone. Dan has the Streamline system on a seperate fixed line and it sounds good.

I did some research and I've found that you can get ones that work off a mobile signal which I think would suit better as obviously it's more versatile being able to take it to gigs and at pre event meetings to collect balances.

Does anybody use a mobile type card machine and able to point me in the direction of a decent one?

Or any other advice on the subject would be appreciated ;)

Corabar Entertainment
25-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Not in connection with DJing, but the only experience I have had was with Streamline also.

Just to mention that, if you also want the ability to take payments online, from my discussions with them some time ago, the fees worked out rather expensive (they worked with another supplier for the 'online' it, so you ended up paying Streamline's fees plus those of te online provider), so you may want to have two separate accounts with different suppliers: one for online, and one for 'in person' transactions.

Mind you, they may have changed their practices since I spoke with them almost 2 years ago, so this post might be as useful as a chocolate teapot... but it's something to bear in mind in your research. :)

Also, I know that both Paypal and Nochex were working on 'virtual terminals' (I think Paypal's system is live) so that you can take the client's details and enter them yourself, so if you have a phone that connects to the internet, you could probably use those for that. 'Virtual Terminal' fees carry a premium over and above nomral transaction fees.

Danno13
25-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Just to mention that, if you also want the ability to take payments online, from my discussions with them some time ago, the fees worked out rather expensive (they worked with another supplier for the 'online' it, so you ended up paying Streamline's fees plus those of te online provider), so you may want to have two separate accounts with different suppliers: one for online, and one for 'in person' transactions.

This is true with every provider. There are lots of internet ones that offer "payment gateways" etc. but they all hinge on having a merchant account from someone like Streamline, or your bank.

Streamline do both a fixed and a mobile terminal package, but when I joined the FSB they said they had a better deal with another provider for this, so might be worth exploring that.

Corabar Entertainment
25-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Sorry for my ignorance Danno....'FSB'????

Danno13
25-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Federation of Small Businesses

wensleydale
25-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Sorry for my ignorance Danno....'FSB'????

Federation of Small Businesses?

Corabar Entertainment
25-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Doh! Thanks :)

Pe7e
25-09-2009, 04:04 PM
Done a quick search but there's nothing newish on this so.

While I was away on the "networking" trip I got chatting to Danno about amongst other things how he does his card payments over the phone. Dan has the Streamline system on a seperate fixed line and it sounds good.

I did some research and I've found that you can get ones that work off a mobile signal which I think would suit better as obviously it's more versatile being able to take it to gigs and at pre event meetings to collect balances.

Does anybody use a mobile type card machine and able to point me in the direction of a decent one?

Or any other advice on the subject would be appreciated ;)

Check THIS out (http://www.cardsave.net/Card-Machines/Mobile.html) As already mentioned taking payment by credit card is not cheap, especially if you are only going to be processing low volumes, do your sums before commiting yourself. You may find you will loose out on 'tips' also.

jamesh
26-09-2009, 09:12 PM
ive just ordered a wireless creditcard/debit card system through f.s.b on streamline n worked out at 70pound setup and then 26pound or there abouts per month which isnt too bad as it gives the flexibility to use it anywhere at anytime to take payments.

DJ Jules
27-09-2009, 12:45 AM
ive just ordered a wireless creditcard/debit card system through f.s.b on streamline n worked out at 70pound setup and then 26pound or there abouts per month which isnt too bad as it gives the flexibility to use it anywhere at anytime to take payments.

Paypal wanted about that for a "Virtual Terminal" (so I think I know which one I'd choose...) However, when I was looking into this a couple of years ago I got bored waiting for them to review my application and really insulted with the terms they decided to impose, so when they finally processed my application and offered me an account, I declined it. Apparently my credit history wasn't good enough so they wanted to hold a third of any payment I processed in account for a period of 6 months!!

Julian