PDA

View Full Version : Wedding Do

juice
30-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Been asked to do a wedding reception on 24 October and they want the music to run for six hours!
Any ideas as to the sort of mix to play over such a long period they are a mature couple who have asked for 70s and 80s but of course there will be a mixed age group. Benefit of your wisdom chaps!

DeckstarDeluxe
30-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Been asked to do a wedding reception on 24 October and they want the music to run for six hours!
Any ideas as to the sort of mix to play over such a long period they are a mature couple who have asked for 70s and 80s but of course there will be a mixed age group. Benefit of your wisdom chaps!

Generally build up through the night so hold back the classics til people have had the food and on their third or four drink.

Early on usually I'd aim for the young kids and keep them entertained, most of the adults are too busy talking to each other to notice whats on but if they look over seeing you keeping their kids happy then they're happy.

Weddings nearly always overrun and then you got dinner and maybe speeches to fit into that so I wouldnt worry too much about the six hours.

Naturally as with any gig best policy is using your common sense and playing the right records at the right time :D

ppentertainments
30-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Ask the Bride and Groom - simple ;)

DeckstarDeluxe
30-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Im going to say this but 80's soul might be good for earlier on in the evening?

The risk you run by asking the groom about it is them thinking "arent we paying you to worry about that?"

Sapphire Disco
30-09-2009, 08:09 PM
It's not that hard you won't really know what to play until your actually doing it, it's my guess the first 2 hours will need to be very low volume, swing would be good to start and maybe some 60s.

Excalibur
30-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Neil ( Deckstar) is bang on with post #2. Chris (pp) has a point, but I'd rarely go entirely with B&G for playlist.

Beginning, play new stuff, especially if it's not good to dance to. This gets it out of the way early on. Slot in some easy listening, of all decades, and here's the tricky bit: Play the guaranteed floorfillers/standards/usual suspects at the height of the festivities. Too late, and they're ready to go home, too early, and you've got nothing left for later. Hope this helps.

ppentertainments
30-09-2009, 08:27 PM
All depends on the service you give. I say ask the bride and groom because I have meetings with them prior to the wedding and find out what it is they would like. I get their ideas, put some of my ideas forward etc in order to come up with a suitable plan / playlist.

It is totally pointless saying play this, or play that, without knowing what the B & G would like. The past 3 weddings I have done I have never played music post 1980's, at their request. This saturday, however they have asked to start off with some older and motown tracks and finish off the last couple of hours with modern tracks.

Not wishing to sound attacking, but I never understand people asking for music advice (or indeed a lot of other advice) without first consulting the client.

Excalibur
30-09-2009, 08:31 PM
All depends on the service you give. I say ask the bride and groom because I have meetings with them prior to the wedding and find out what it is they would like. I get their ideas, put some of my ideas forward etc in order to come up with a suitable plan / playlist.

It is totally pointless saying play this, or play that, without knowing what the B & G would like. The past 3 weddings I have done I have never played music post 1980's, at their request. This saturday, however they have asked to start off with some older and motown tracks and finish off the last couple of hours with modern tracks.

Not wishing to sound attacking, but I never understand people asking for music advice (or indeed a lot of other advice) without first consulting the client.

Which fits with my suggestion of not going totally on B&G. ( Unless they're rich, awkward, power crazed, picky, and obstinate. Anything for a quiet life. :D )

ppentertainments
30-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Which fits with my suggestion of not going totally on B&G. ( Unless they're rich, awkward, power crazed, picky, and obstinate. Anything for a quiet life. :D )
exactly ;)

Corabar Entertainment
30-09-2009, 09:12 PM
Don't forget, that may not be 6 hours full-on disco.... there may be other things going on (eg cake cutting, throwing bouquet, buffet....not forgetting the first dance!) so it may be a case of almost background music for the first part of the evening, then once the formalities are out of the way you can rev it up a bit.

Like others have said, speak to the B&G to see ehat exactly they had in mind, and put forward your own suggestions and ideas (ie steer them a bit to do it all sensibly!)

Excalibur
30-09-2009, 10:50 PM
Don't forget, that may not be 6 hours full-on disco.... there may be other things going on (eg cake cutting, throwing bouquet, buffet....not forgetting the first dance!) so it may be a case of almost background music for the first part of the evening, then once the formalities are out of the way you can rev it up a bit.

Like others have said, speak to the B&G to see ehat exactly they had in mind, and put forward your own suggestions and ideas (ie steer them a bit to do it all sensibly!)

Yeah, sadly I've had quite a few where they threw the Buffet. :( :D :D

Corabar Entertainment
30-09-2009, 10:53 PM
PMSL! :Laugh:

rob1963
30-09-2009, 11:52 PM

Firstly, six hours isn't that long. A couple of weeks back I did a wedding where the music ran for 9 hours continuously, although the first 4 hours was just background music, and I suspect you'll also be playing a good few hours worth of background music.

As already mentioned, why not ask the clients?

The risk you run by asking the groom about it is them thinking "arent we paying you to worry about that?"

With all due respect, I think that's rubbish.

As far as I know, they won't expect you to be a mind reader, in which case you'll need to ask.

In my opinion, if you don't ask they'll most likely be thinking "He obviously doesn't care about what music we want, because he hasn't asked us about it"

DeckstarDeluxe
30-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Firstly, six hours isn't that long. A couple of weeks back I did a wedding where the music ran for 9 hours continuously, although the first 4 hours was just background music, and I suspect you'll also be playing a good few hours worth of background music.

As already mentioned, why not ask the clients?

With all due respect, I think that's rubbish.

As far as I know, they won't expect you to be a mind reader, in which case you'll need to ask.

In my opinion, if you don't ask they'll most likely be thinking "He obviously doesn't care about what music we want, because he hasn't asked us about it"

Read the OP Rob they have already done that.

rob1963
01-10-2009, 12:04 AM
Read the OP Rob they have already done that.

According to the OP they've been asked for 70's & 80's, which is rather vague to say the least.

I wouldn't have accepted that without asking for more details, as it can mean pretty much anything.

:shrug:

DeckstarDeluxe
01-10-2009, 12:08 AM
According to the OP they've asked for 70's & 80's, which is rather vague to say the least.

I wouldn't have accepted that without asking for more details, as it can mean pretty much anything.

Personally the way I see it is they answered what they want. Personally I would be happy going to a gig with "just" that as a request to the music. Arent customers paying for our knowledge and experience rather than being pushed to provide a long list of songs to play?

I know what I rather prefer but everyone has their own style.

rob1963
01-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Personally the way I see it is they answered what they want. Personally I would be happy going to a gig with "just" that as a request to the music. Arent customers paying for our knowledge and experience rather than being pushed to provide a long list of songs to play?

I know what I rather prefer but everyone has their own style.

We'll agree to differ then, because in my opinion 70's & 80's is too vague, which could easily result in you playing music which they did NOT want, and that could lead to a complaint.

However, if you ask them for a list of actual requests (as I always do), then you can't go wrong.

It's all very well to suggest that customers are paying for our knowledge & expertise, but that knowlegde & expertise are probably NOT expected to include mind-reading!

Danno13
01-10-2009, 12:53 AM
But if they aren't specific then surely they have no reason to complain?? I'm far more relaxed going into a gig with a general guide, than specific ideas that I don't think will work, as I know this can reflect badly on me.

Obviously the ideal gig is lots of specific requests that you probably would have played anyway - but this is basically the same as having a general guide!

Corabar Entertainment
01-10-2009, 01:07 AM
...but surely it doesn't have to be an 'all or nothing' situation?

ie not so vague that the DJ isn't sure what it is they are expecting, but not so specific that the DJ can't show off his talents.

Somewhere in the middle usually works well for us: indications of genres they want / like (and those they do not want) plus a few specific requests.

rob1963
01-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Somewhere in the middle usually works well for us: indications of genres they want / like (and those they do not want) plus a few specific requests.

That's fine, but that isn't what the guy was told in this situation.

According to the OP, he was just asked for 70's & 80's. There was no mention of genres they wanted, genres they did NOT want and no specific requests either. That wouldn't be enough information for me, nor by the sounds of it for you.

soundtracker
01-10-2009, 11:26 AM
No problem 70's God save the Queen and me and you and a dog named Boo!, 80's Pump up the volume and shut upa your face! Perfect evening LOL!

Dynamic Entertainment
01-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Gotta have a bit of Motorhead and Maiden in there too Pete.... :)

rob1963
01-10-2009, 12:00 PM
No problem 70's God save the Queen and me and you and a dog named Boo!, 80's Pump up the volume and shut upa your face! Perfect evening LOL!

Exactly!

DeckstarDeluxe
01-10-2009, 08:24 PM
We'll agree to differ then, because in my opinion 70's & 80's is too vague, which could easily result in you playing music which they did NOT want, and that could lead to a complaint.

However, if you ask them for a list of actual requests (as I always do), then you can't go wrong.

It's all very well to suggest that customers are paying for our knowledge & expertise, but that knowlegde & expertise are probably NOT expected to include mind-reading!

What happeans when customers dont give you a list Rob? Or they say oh just some 70's and 80's? Your going to tell them that isnt good enough?

I always ask for requests and inform them they can pass my email address on to their guests if they want their input too however some have just said we want a good party etc.... and Ive gone with no requests. Its called be flexiable and reading the crowd. This in my view is a basic dj skill and without it you wont get very far.

rob1963
02-10-2009, 12:27 AM
What happens when customers dont give you a list Rob? Or they say oh just some 70's and 80's? Your going to tell them that isnt good enough?

To be honest, that virtually never happens.

I can think of one occasion where I had no requests, not even a first dance, and I was dreading the gig beforehand.

I send all my customers a request form with space for up to 50 requests, along with a list of my most requested songs to give them some ideas.

Several weeks before the gig, I'll make contact to find out how & when they want to pay the balance & to ask for their request list. Virtually all of them either post me or email me a list of songs...usually about 50, but sometimes up to 100 or more, which is just the way I like it.

I don't think I've ever had a client say something like "just play some 70's and 80's".

People book discos primarily for the music. I always make sure I find out exactly what they want, and maybe that's why I've never had a justified complaint & only get one UNjustified complaint every 8 years or so.

some have just said we want a good party etc.... and Ive gone with no requests. Its called be flexiable and reading the crowd.

The problem with that is that while you may be brilliant at reading the crowd in general, you still might not be playing what the client wants...which could lead to a complaint.

The client wouldn't expect the bridal shop to choose their dress for them, or the cake company to choose their wedding cake for them, or the reception venue to choose their menu for them...so I don't understand why they would want the DJ to choose the music for them...especially as most people seem to have such a low opinion of DJs.

This in my view is a basic dj skill and without it you wont get very far.

After doing nearly two thousand discos over the last quarter of a century, I know all about basic DJ skills thank you...and I already HAVE got very far!

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-10-2009, 12:41 AM
...so I don't understand why they would want the DJ to choose the music for them...

Experience, know how, professionalism, knowing what people dance to.

With respect Rob, you don't choose the music, you don't use the mic much and you don't do fancy dress. What exactly are people paying you for?

I never used request lists up until the last few years and since then the functions are been worse from my POV. Perhaps better from the client's, which is what matters I suppose,

rob1963
02-10-2009, 01:07 AM
With respect Rob, you don't choose the music, you don't use the mic much and you don't do fancy dress. What exactly are people paying you for?

What are people paying me for? A professional efficient service where (unlike many discos) I do exactly what they want.

Maybe that's why I get more positive feedback from clients & less complaints than most?

As for me not choosing the music, I wouldn't say that's particularly unusual or a reason why people should pay me less. If anything, I should be charging MORE for taking the time & trouble to find out exactly what clients want & for purchasing any of it that I don't have.

As for not using the mic much, that's the way things are these days...as you've admitted many times yourself.

As for not doing fancy dress, that's for health reasons as I've explained before, and I've only ever been asked to wear fancy dress once in the past, so I'd hardly say it's a problem or a reason for people to pay me less.

What about the others who have admitted they don't wear fancy dress just because they don't like wearing it? At least I have a good reason!

What are people paying me for? They're paying a very low price for a very high level of experience & service.

I never used request lists up until the last few years and since then the functions are been worse from my POV. Perhaps better from the client's, which is what matters I suppose

If your functions have been worse over the last few years since you started using request lists, why not stop using them & go back to how you were for more than 20 years then?

Leicester Ben
02-10-2009, 01:10 AM
My clients are at a guess a 50 - 50 split, many of then use the online dadabase and choose the tracks, or genres of music that they would like playing. The majority however will just give me the first dance and say if they want cheese playing or not, I am lucky that the vast majority of my clients dont want cheese which allows me to play funky stuff all night.

Surely you are confident enough Rob to just play to the crowd if a client isnt very specific with the music requests, I would expect that from all of my DJ's, not to be relying on lists all night - clients may as well dry hire the equipment if they want to do that.

Solitaire Events Ltd
02-10-2009, 01:20 AM
What are people paying me for? They're paying a very low price for a very high level of experience & service.

Of doing what?

I don't think it takes a great deal of skill to set gear up and follow a playlist, but that's just my opinion.

rob1963
02-10-2009, 01:35 AM
Surely you are confident enough Rob to just play to the crowd if a client isnt very specific with the music requests

Of course I am...I just feel happier if I have a list of about 40-50 requests from the client, which is why I encourage this.

Of doing what?

For the most part it's reading the dance floor and playing the right songs from their request list at the right time

I don't think it takes a great deal of skill to set gear up and follow a playlist, but that's just my opinion.

I totally agree...and that's why I don't do that.

In fact, if someone DID want to give me an actual playlist, I'd probably turn the gig down, because it would make for a very stale gig, and like you say would involve using very little skill on my part, so I'd therefore find it boring.

DeckstarDeluxe
02-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Of course I am...I just feel happier if I have a list of about 40-50 requests from the client, which is why I encourage this.

For the most part it's reading the dance floor and playing the right songs from their request list at the right time

I totally agree...and that's why I don't do that.

In fact, if someone DID want to give me an actual playlist, I'd probably turn the gig down, because it would make for a very stale gig, and like you say would involve using very little skill on my part, so I'd therefore find it boring.

That post kidda goes against what you've been saying earlier in this thread

Considering 40-50 songs would fill out most bookings

Customer may as well link up an ipod and do it themselves surely?

rob1963
02-10-2009, 10:08 AM
I just feel happier if I have a list of about 40-50 requests from the client.

In fact, if someone DID want to give me an actual playlist, I'd probably turn the gig down

That post kidda goes against what you've been saying earlier in this thread

No it doesn't, so I need to try and clarify a couple of things for you.

When I talk about request lists (which I encourage) I'm referring to a list of songs the customer would like to hear at some point in the evening if possible. When working with these, I also accept requests from guests on the night itself (unless told not to, which hasn't happened yet).

When I talk about playlists (which I flatly refuse) I'm referring to a list of songs, all of which are to be played in the order they're listed in. This gives no flexibility whatsoever and also means you have to refuse all requests from guests on the night itself.

Therefore, playlists & request lists are two very different things.

People work with request lists all the time with no problems. However, I know several people who have accepted rigid playlists for gigs, and every time it's been a complete nightmare...which is why I won't touch them with a barge pole.

Customer may as well link up an ipod and do it themselves surely?

If they want to provide a rigid playlist, then yes (except the ipod will have gaps between the songs & won't make announcements etc).

However, if they want to provide a list of requests like I get MY clients to, then no (because as far as I know an ipod can't take requests, can't read the dancefloor & therefore can't play the right song at the right time).

I hope that clarifies what I was saying, but if it doesn't, please feel free to let me know.

juice
03-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Whoa there boys and girls I get the picture and thankyou for your marvellous contributions. Rob you fought your corner well my friend! This wedding aint gonna be all speeches and cake cutting so will be playing for the majority of the 6 hours mentioned have already gleaned that info via a third party. There will be a mixed age group so will start withsome newish sounds and if they look restless I'll react accordingly. Thanks once again and remember we all started this business as newbies.

Corabar Entertainment
03-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Whoa there boys and girls I get the picture LOL... It does get a bit 'passionate' on here at times. :D You'll get used to it: most members enjoy a good debate, but come out the other side friends. ;)

rob1963
03-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Rob you fought your corner well my friend!

Thank you, my neighbour!

:D

DeckstarDeluxe
04-10-2009, 12:52 AM
LOL... It does get a bit 'passionate' on here at times. :D You'll get used to it: most members enjoy a good debate, but come out the other side friends. ;)

Oh yeah you'll see me and rob skipping around bpm holding hands...................................:p

Corabar Entertainment
04-10-2009, 12:58 AM
{Makes note to self to make sure the camera is packed :p }