PDA

View Full Version : Unlocking a Computer?

rossken
01-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Hey Guys,

After taking over a business, my parents got a small desktop computer with the business and they do not require it so I have aquired it. :)

But....There is a "Learner" user account and an "Admin" account and the Learner account is password free and the admin needs a password. The problem is the Learner account has been setup with limitations and you can't install/remove programs or anything. I do not have a password for the admin account and my parents don't know it either.

Is there any way of removing these limitations or accessing the admin account. Would swapping the Harddrive work?

Any Suggestions?

Thanks for your help!

sted
01-10-2009, 07:25 PM
you could do a full system re boot i think mate

Tom
01-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Can't you go in to safe mode and change things from there???

djdave01
01-10-2009, 08:10 PM
found some info here

http://triponic.com/guidestutorials/how-to-bypass-windows-password/

might help you

rossken
01-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the help guys.....but still no luck!!

Booche
01-10-2009, 09:42 PM
best way i can think of is to format the hdd and start again :(

Marc J
02-10-2009, 07:42 AM
You need an ERD disk - see http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/reset-lost-xp-administrator-password-erd-commander/ or http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=305

Depends what version of Windows you have though, and whether you have the CD...

welby
02-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi, do a search for Hirens Boot Disk - on there there is a utility to reset the admin password. Hope this helps.

DJMaxG
03-10-2009, 12:05 AM
Open up 'Safe Mode'

If the BIOS Menus are NOT Password Protected, then you should be able to make preference/setting modifications.

You could Format the HDD, but you'd need to install some sort of operating system on afterwards, which will cost if you don't already have Boot discs.

From a non-technical point of view, you could try basic guesses like
'admin' 'administrator' 'password' [name of company]

I would contact the person who your parents purchased the company off, and ask for the password details AND Boot Discs (if haven't got them already), as they are Part of the Computer.

kilmeedyman
03-10-2009, 12:23 AM
Hi, do a search for Hirens Boot Disk - on there there is a utility to reset the admin password. Hope this helps.

Forsooth, Welby read and understood the OP, gave a clear, concise and accurate answer and spake he the truth!!....

'tis truly a cd the professionals know and love - it will probably help with your next 5 xp failures too - go get one! (Technically its the Hirens BootCD)

discomobiledj
03-10-2009, 02:36 AM
Ignore this! Bios is BEFORE safe mode.

Open up 'Safe Mode'

If the BIOS Menus are NOT Password Protected, then you should be able to make preference/setting modifications.

You could Format the HDD, but you'd need to install some sort of operating system on afterwards, which will cost if you don't already have Boot discs.

From a non-technical point of view, you could try basic guesses like
'admin' 'administrator' 'password' [name of company]

I would contact the person who your parents purchased the company off, and ask for the password details AND Boot Discs (if haven't got them already), as they are Part of the Computer.

Perfect response!

DJMaxG
03-10-2009, 03:23 AM
Ignore this! Bios is BEFORE safe mode

Yes, exactly - which means if the menu is password protected, you will NOT be able to access "Safe Mode"

I have an ICT Qualification.

discomobiledj
03-10-2009, 04:32 AM
Yes, exactly - which means if the menu is password protected, you will NOT be able to access "Safe Mode"

I have an ICT Qualification.

:laughup:

I suggest you read your books again! Safe mode can be accessed by pressing F4 or F8, depending on your computer, during the initial boot up and select Safe Mode.

You do not need to go into the Bios to go into Safe Mode.