PDA

View Full Version : Personal Weddings

Chris1984
02-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Im getting married next year which means alot of people are asking so whos going to do your disco!
Now i had already got a plan as to who but it made me wonder, if anyone else has been in a similar situation? What kinds of thins did you do for your wedding?

Now i'm just hiring someone i know to do the music as i am looking after the marquee (well big top! its a circus theme!) installation myself so all the sound and lighting will be on several truss systems along with a silk dancer and maybe another ariel act.

I guess it could be a DJ's nightmare both for any groom and for the DJ he books as there is always the 'i would have done it like this' aspect......

NKR
02-10-2009, 10:46 AM
My DJ partner got married a couple of weeks ago and he booked a DJ we know very well and the only person we would have trusted to do the job. He was going to sing himself, but his voice wasn't quite right as he had a mild throat infection, so just skipped that bit.

When I got married we booked a swing singer for the day and evening and left him to sort the DJ out (he was told several DJ's would be in attendance so don't get the wrong guy.) Kev (my DJ partner and vocal act) sang our first dance and did a bit with the singer as did a few of my wifes friends who are semi pro singers. All in all a really good time and the singer stayed on for ages as he was loving all the improvised duet work.

You have to take a step back from it on the night and steer clear of thinking I would have done it different, as we all do things differently.

Dynamic Entertainment
02-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Ill do it myself ;) - TBH i would probably hire in someone i dont know personall, because all my dj mates would be with me...unless one offered, then i may take them up on it.

Its like my best mates wedding last year. Hes a head chef, im a trained chef...in fact most of the guests there are in catering, and alot were head/second chefs themselves.

Got a crack with the hotel owner at the end of the breakfast and he asked how the food was...aparantly their head chef was bricking it all week, knowing he had a full house of the worst critics ;)

ppentertainments
02-10-2009, 12:36 PM
I'd hire a band ;)

Chris1984
02-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Ill do it myself ;) - TBH i would probably hire in someone i dont know personall, because all my dj mates would be with me...unless one offered, then i may take them up on it.

Its like my best mates wedding last year. Hes a head chef, im a trained chef...in fact most of the guests there are in catering, and alot were head/second chefs themselves.

Got a crack with the hotel owner at the end of the breakfast and he asked how the food was...aparantly their head chef was bricking it all week, knowing he had a full house of the worst critics ;)

Brilliant!

spin mobile disco
02-10-2009, 12:45 PM
I've done a few disco's for DJ's and already have another 3 booked in over the next 4 months. It can be nerve wracking if you let it. I normally do exactly what I normally do at a wedding.Seems to be working so far (touch wood).
Im surprised you want to do it all yourself wouldnt it be better so sit back and get on with the important stuff i.e the getting married bit. Iwas lucky enough to get my brother to DJ for my wedding as he ran his own disco as well. I wouldnt have though about doining it myself. Just one more thing to stress about.

Chris1984
02-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Im surprised you want to do it all yourself wouldnt it be better so sit back and get on with the important stuff i.e the getting married bit. Iwas lucky enough to get my brother to DJ for my wedding as he ran his own disco as well. I wouldnt have though about doining it myself. Just one more thing to stress about.

I want the reception to be how we both want and thus am organising the whole thing from the aerial act to the truss they will be swinging off.
Its all going to be rigged in the 4 days prior to the big day so all i should have to do is turn up and hope all goes well!
The DJ is decided and i have a fellow lighting mate running the pearl so all i have to do is a speech and come back 2 days later to rip it our ready for the next job 2 days after that! lol

visualdjmax
02-10-2009, 01:13 PM
It is the most difficult decission in the whole world. Nearly all my mates are in the events industry, I had x2 DJ's one who did dance (my best man) and one who did party and a Jazz band! We rigged the party on the Thursday and the Friday. Wedding on Saturday and then, the guys really hung over got out on the Sunday! I was so busy catching up with old friends I didn't even notice the music!!!

rob1963
02-10-2009, 02:20 PM
I won't have this problem as I'm not planning on getting married.

After all, marriage is a very expensive thing, both during AND after!

:D

wensleydale
02-10-2009, 04:56 PM
i did mine myself and it worked out fine.

rob1963
02-10-2009, 05:05 PM
i did mine myself and it worked out fine.

Really?

So instead of circulating you spent the night behind the decks?

I can just imagine the first dance "Ladies & gentlemen, can we please have the bride & groom on the dance floor for the first dance. Has anyone seen the groom? Oh.....hang on a minute....."

mikeee
02-10-2009, 11:08 PM
The answer is very simple, hire a professional DJ and let them do their job, or hire a band :D
Working for another DJ is not a big problem, if anything it should be easier.

DeckstarDeluxe
02-10-2009, 11:29 PM
The answer is very simple, hire a professional DJ and let them do their job, or hire a band :D
Working for another DJ is not a big problem, if anything it should be easier.

Personally I think it would be harder! Unless of course you knew the dj well enough and what his style is. Then of course if you know him well enough you would of been invited as a guest

DJMaxG
03-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Every Party I have attended, I have always looked for downsides with the setup of the equipment and the DJs attitudes etc.

I always thought the music was too loud (but could still have conversations within the same room), and just as I realised it wasn't all that loud, the last DJ I saw was Great, but the only problem was, I had to walk out the room AND Downstairs, just to have a decent conversation.

I Suspect the reason may have been because he was not running bass bins, therefore the top cabs have to be turned up for the music to sound decent.

If I was getting married, I would probably hire a DJ based on :

1. Their rig (Yes, petty I know)
2. Their Performance
3. Their Attitude
4. Their Price

If it is Your DJ Mate doing the disco, then you are likely to end up doing sets and impressing guests with Your mixing skills, and before long people won't even remember what the occasion is. (A Wedding)

Also, You would probably feel embarrased to Dance in front of Him/Her.

It's kind of like Your Mother being a Doctor and asking to examin certain bodily parts. :o

mikeee
03-10-2009, 12:27 AM
Why would it be harder?? If you have weddings before, and done the prep work, it's no problem. Why should it matter if he's a DJ, if anyone should know whats involved, he should. One would hope he would let you get on and do your job, and if your lucky, he might come and say......I'm a DJ too :)

DJMaxG
03-10-2009, 12:33 AM
I can not believe you conducted your own Wedding Disco :eek: :) :D

I can just imagine the first dance "Ladies & gentlemen, can we please have the bride & groom on the dance floor for the first dance. Has anyone seen the groom? Oh.....hang on a minute....."

How Funny : "Bride and Groom to the Dancefloor ... Erm, Okay that's Me"
"Parents of the Groom, Yep Dad, if you could just stand there"
"I wish Myself a very happy future and successful Marriage"

"If we could all have your attention, The Groom would like to
make a short announcement" [MIC OFF/MIC ON]

*Other Acent on*

kilmeedyman
03-10-2009, 12:48 AM
It's my 25th wedding anniversary next February and I have thought long and hard about who I would like to use to DJ...... the thing is, those I respect/trust most would be on my guest list...... there will be at least one live act so..... still not decided.

Sorry for being so inconclusive! :D

Chris1984
03-10-2009, 05:19 AM
Interesting set of responses!
I'm glad i'm not DJ'ing mine and have someone else doing it!
Although i am glad im putting all the systems in!
Max, you know where im coming from on this side of things!

Cheers everyone!

wensleydale
03-10-2009, 07:16 AM
Really?

So instead of circulating you spent the night behind the decks?

I precorded a fair bit, got my best man to do half an hour, and i did half an hour live too.

worked our fine, was really happy with it.
dont think i would have been as happy had someone else done it apart from a few people I know who were there anyway.

Steve the DJ
03-10-2009, 07:59 AM
...... the thing is, those I respect/trust most would be on my guest list......

So I could DJ for you then? :D

sted
03-10-2009, 08:22 AM
in the next few weeks i will be looking to book someone to dj alongside a band at my wedding and also maybe some up lighting.

NKR
03-10-2009, 09:23 AM
If it is Your DJ Mate doing the disco, then you are likely to end up doing sets and impressing guests with Your mixing skills, and before long people won't even remember what the occasion is. (A Wedding)

Also, You would probably feel embarrased to Dance in front of Him/Her.

Yes her mother, uncles and all the other relatives will be very impressed you can count to four and make two records go at the same speed. Done a lot of weddings? And your new wife will be overjoyed that you are playing with decks rather than making her special day special

Could I hazard a guess you are single Max?

DJ Jules
03-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Could I hazard a guess you are single Max?

He'd have to leave his bedroom before he could get even close to getting married...

From experience...

I've DJ'd about 11 weddings this year and dry hired kit to 6. Out of the 6, 2 were guys who had mates who were DJ's and were willing to step up, 2 believed that an iPod/iTunes would do it, 1 was going to DJ his own wedding and the last 1 was where a very large number of the guests were associated with DJ'ing or performing in some way or another and were basically going to all have a go throughout the night!

On picking up the kit, at both of the iPod/iTunes weddings I found the guests crowded round the laptop trying to find some decent/appropriate music because what the Groom had cued up was hopeless. At the weddings where "a mate would do it", one was a massive success (I don't know who he was, but he turned up with a pair of CDJ800's and an A&H mixer and did a sterling job) and the other a massive flop (I turned up early at 11:30 - supposedly a midnight finish - to collect the kit and found a few guests sat outside drinking and the venue locked up!) The guy who DJ'd his own wedding was a big hit with the guests, and I think he had a good night, but the bride was sat in a corner with a bottle of something a bit stronger than OJ... The guys who took turns on the decks looked like they all had a good time - but I should mention that when I turned up, the bride was running the show, they ALL had a musical background of some kind. The arrangement may not have been conventional, but it worked as it was a fairly informal wedding anyway :)

Personally, I'd never DJ at a function where close family were involved. I'm even considering getting someone else to do my own kids school events and parties because there are always tears involved when "Daddy doesn't pick me" (out of 150 children!) My wife is turning 30 next year and we'll probably hire a venue and throw a party somewhere, but it's likely that I'll be paying someone else to run the show as I wouldn't want either me or any of our friends tied up on the night messing around with equipment or being stuck behind the decks.

The other thing to bear in mind is that she'd also never forgive me if I screwed it up... :D

Julian

Solitaire Events Ltd
03-10-2009, 09:43 AM
It's my 25th wedding anniversary next February and I have thought long and hard about who I would like to use to DJ...... the thing is, those I respect/trust most would be on my guest list......

:D :eek: :D

rob1963
03-10-2009, 10:47 AM
I precorded a fair bit

Bit like an ipod wedding then :eek: :eek: :eek: