PDA

View Full Version : Peavey speaker help please

djderek1971
03-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Hi folks

I apollogise for the lack of techie knowledge but i have never had to deal with this before. I have a pair of passive Peavey Pro15 Speakers and last night, when I fired the system up, there was no top end coming out of one of the speakers which I assume is a blown tweeter. How easy is it to replace them and can someone tell me exactly what I need (Is the thing in several parts or do I buy one single part and fit it. Any links to the correct item would be appreciated.

Thanks folks

Excalibur
03-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Hi folks

I apollogise for the lack of techie knowledge but i have never had to deal with this before. I have a pair of passive Peavey Pro15 Speakers and last night, when I fired the system up, there was no top end coming out of one of the speakers which I assume is a blown tweeter. How easy is it to replace them and can someone tell me exactly what I need (Is the thing in several parts or do I buy one single part and fit it. Any links to the correct item would be appreciated.

Thanks folks

Maybe not. A trip to halfords might sort it! :eek: :D Have a look inside, and see if there's a bulb/lamp inside. Many Peavey cabs use this as protection for the HF. It may only be this, it may be a diaphragm for a fiver, or it may be the wjhole unit. Check by swapping bits across till you find the offending part.

Here's the contact info for Peavey, they tend to be very helpful.

PEAVEY ELECTRONICS LTD
Great Folds Road
Oakley Hay
Corby
NN18 9ET
Northamptonshire
Phone: 01536 461234
Fax: 01536 747222
e-mail: [email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

DJ James Lake
03-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Even if the HF is blown they are very easy to replace, you can get a diaphragm kit from any local guitar shop you dont need to replace the whole HF unit

djderek1971
03-10-2009, 01:29 PM
thanks for that guys. Next problem is how to remove the actual unit from the plastic horn, is it screw on or pull off, I cant get the unit through the small opening as it is to see.

Cheers

djderek1971
03-10-2009, 02:03 PM
Oops cancel last, I have got the horn off of the main magnetic unit however apart from a removable back cover, it looks like a single unit so I cant see anything to swap over. Any easy way to tell if it is gone and where is this diaphragm?

Ta

Excalibur
03-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Oops cancel last, I have got the horn off of the main magnetic unit however apart from a removable back cover, it looks like a single unit so I cant see anything to swap over. Any easy way to tell if it is gone and where is this diaphragm?

Ta

That's the kiddie, as far as I know. Diaphragm goes inbetween. Please swap the units between cabs first though, to see if the protection circuit(bulb) has gone. Will save ripping the tweeter to bits if it's OK.

Excalibur
03-10-2009, 04:22 PM
I may possibly be on the wrong tweeter. This one may in fact be yours.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Replacement-HF-driver-Mark-2-for-Peavey-Pro12-Pro15_W0QQitemZ230376611144QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C onElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL?hash=item35a3841d48&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

djderek1971
03-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Hi

This is the Diaphragm - http://www.rockfactory.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=psd-peavprodia3

Seems to retail around the £20 mark. Dont know if thats the norm or not. Update is that I did take the Diaphragm off and used a circuit tester between the 2 terminals. I got no reading so I assume that it has gone and will need replacing. Other point I maybe should have made is that it seems to have gone between jobs and that the speaker wasnt actually set up when it went. Fine at the end of one gig and gone at the set up to the next. Maybe had a bump in the van. Lets hope the replacement fixes it.

djderek1971
07-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Hi again folks

Just wanted to say thanks for the help. Replacement Diaphragm came today, I popped it in and the speaker is firing up fine now. The part cost £21 if the lad from the other thread finds that helpful. Take the diaphragm out and run a circuit tester between the two terminals, I got no reading when I did it which told me that was the problem.
Cheers

Excalibur
07-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Hi again folks

Just wanted to say thanks for the help. Replacement Diaphragm came today, I popped it in and the speaker is firing up fine now. The part cost £21 if the lad from the other thread finds that helpful. Take the diaphragm out and run a circuit tester between the two terminals, I got no reading when I did it which told me that was the problem.
Cheers

1) Good to hear you're sorted fairly easily.
2) Thanks for letting us know the outcome. I'm sure there are a number of threads where we've never been told the outcome. Very annoying.

Creature
08-10-2009, 08:38 AM
if you have taken out one of ya coils/diaphrams then you nee dto look at your amp.

peavey speakers will take clipping although continuous clippwill will almost certainly take out ya diaphrams/voice coils. I iknow cause it cost me a lotta money a few years back until I took my rig into local disco shop and they pointed firmly at one of my amps - bloody soundlab - brought peavey amp and have (touchwood) never blown another voicecoil/diaphram altho often clip