PDA

View Full Version : Domain names

STEVE HANLEY
06-10-2009, 02:00 PM
Hi guys

Can anyone tell me if there are any adavantages to be had by having .com after your name as opposed to .co.uk ? As both of these are available for the domain name I have chosen for my disco as one is a lot more expensive than the other. Many thanks.:)
Steve

Vectis
06-10-2009, 02:06 PM
I have both, simply because the customer doesn't then need to think about it.

Also, depending on what you choose, you wouldn't want a competitor picking up the opposing TLD.

I tend to use EUKhost for my domains - .co.uk and .com are £6/year each. Not the cheapest, I know, but nowhere near the dearest and their customer support is superb.

Danno13
06-10-2009, 02:18 PM
You should always buy both!

STEVE HANLEY
06-10-2009, 02:23 PM
I have both, simply because the customer doesn't then need to think about it.

Also, depending on what you choose, you wouldn't want a competitor picking up the opposing TLD.

I tend to use EUKhost for my domains - .co.uk and .com are £6/year each. Not the cheapest, I know, but nowhere near the dearest and their customer support is superb.

I think I'll check EUKhost out if I could buy both domains for a total of £12.00 that seems a bargain:)

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-10-2009, 02:44 PM

Why? :confused:

Danno13
06-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Well if you don't, someone else will...

Try http://www.americandj.co.uk ...

rob1963
06-10-2009, 02:48 PM
I think .co.uk makes more sense for businesses in the UK for obvious reasons.

After all, a .com business could be anywhere in the world, but is most likely to be in the USA I believe.

:shrug:

rob1963
06-10-2009, 02:53 PM

Why? :confused:

What does it matter if they DO?

I've just checked & discovered that robjamesentertainment.com is owned by someone in the USA.

Do I care?

Of course not. Why should I?

Danno13
06-10-2009, 02:56 PM
But if another DJ based in surrey bought it would it not bother you?

rob1963
06-10-2009, 02:59 PM
But if another DJ based in surrey bought it would it not bother you?

Maybe, maybe not.

The fact is they're thousands of miles away in the USA, so it will make no difference to my business whatsoever.

So what you're actually suggesting is that if someone else buys your domain with a different suffix it doesn't actually matter unless they happen to be based near you?

Danno13
06-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Well, its a bit different for you because you use your real name. But say for example somebody recomended Revolution Discos to a friend, and another DJ owned the .com version of the domain, there's a chance they'd end up going to the other DJ. It also helps to stop people trading as the same name, so can't cause you problems if they get a bad reputation and people confuse the two companies...

rob1963
06-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Well, its a bit different for you because you use your real name. But say for example somebody recomended Revolution Discos to a friend, and another DJ owned the .com version of the domain, there's a chance they'd end up going to the other DJ. It also helps to stop people trading as the same name, so can't cause you problems if they get a bad reputation and people confuse the two companies...

Fair enough, but I don't think it would generally be a problem unless both businesses were in the same area.

STEVE HANLEY
06-10-2009, 03:17 PM
:) Thanks guys as both domains are available I'm going to get them both It'll save any confusion and it's virtually impossible for them to log onto the wrong site

Vectis
06-10-2009, 03:22 PM
I'd get the .coms just to :Censored: off the yanks :)

They don't have the .co.uk alternative to go at :cool:

theoloyla
06-10-2009, 03:25 PM
I've also seen some sites ending .biz

Solitaire Events Ltd
06-10-2009, 03:29 PM

Try http://www.americandj.co.uk ...

In the case of big companies, I'd agree.

Chris1984
06-10-2009, 03:36 PM
I brought a couple of domains, i started with UltimateShow.co.uk but everyone kept saying the ultimate show so i brought that too and subsequently renamed and re-branded the company after it.

sadly the.com version has been taken, i would quite like to get it but its just personal preference and i do stuff outside of Europe too so it would be handy in that respect.

But as has always been stated it dosn't matter to much if you cant get both!