PDA

View Full Version : ELC vs HID

callbarney
08-10-2009, 09:26 AM
I was looking at adding a pair of iShow 4's to my arsenal, but noticed that the price between the ELC version and HID version is nearly 50% more expensive...

Is it really worth it? What is the actually difference, other than the obvious "its brighter", is it 50% brighter? Do the bulbs last as long?

Disco Tech Liverpool
08-10-2009, 09:53 AM
I would just say that the reason for the 'extra' price is because they are better. I use im250's moving heads and abstract vrx colours both with discharge bulb in. I also use 2 abstract twister 4's with 250w ELC lamps in. They discharge bulbs are the way to go if you can afford the extra. Bulb life is around 6000hrs but they dim rather than just blow as they have no filament in them. It can be unoticeable to be honest for a while until you change the bulbs as you don't get to see the dimming of them as they dim over time. Just beware though that the bulbs are £70 each. The lights have a display where you can check the amount of time each bulb has elapsed.

One thing I would say. I tried to do it cheaper a while back and got 4 x iSolution Im5 moving heads and even with haze I couldn't see them in front of the twister 4's as they only had elc bulbs in them. I then got rid of them after 1 week and got some HD ones and they were more than better, I just didn't like the lights as a whole. Now I have the im250's which are awesome. Definately go for the discharge fixtures if you really want the ishow 4.

I did once borrow 2 ishow 4's but the colours in them are not much good. You would be better getting some Abstract VRX colours with rotating gobo's, the colours are fabulous and rich, unfortunately they don't make them anyore but you can still buy 'new' ones as they are expensive at £291 each. Better still, keep a look out on ebay, they have the scanners on there a lot too so depends what you want.

callbarney
08-10-2009, 09:59 AM
thanks for that... just double checking the main differing is brightness? and of course the pricing?

Disco Tech Liverpool
08-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah, the light is brighter but crisper too. When haze hits the discharge bulb beam it's like an explsion whereas an elc bulb just highlighted.

Cj_The_Dj
08-10-2009, 02:15 PM
I have a pair of elc 250w I show 3. and there really bright. as said in another post they become more crisper but not that noticable.