PDA

View Full Version : Oh Lordi Lordi

Corabar Steve
21-05-2006, 02:00 AM
Rockers 1 - Chavs 0

just finished watching the video of Eurovision, I must say it has to have been the most entertaining one ever!
Rock

``How weird is this,'' the singer known as ``Mr. Lordi'' said in a televised news conference after the event. ``We're a rock band and we just won a pop song contest.''

Rattz
21-05-2006, 02:16 AM
I am now alive!!!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-05-2006, 02:42 AM
I didn't win then?

Corabar Steve
21-05-2006, 02:57 AM
Quote:
``How weird is this,'' the singer known as ``Mr. Lordi'' said in a televised news conference after the event. ``We're a rock band and we just won a pop song contest.'' Erm??

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-05-2006, 03:38 AM
Erm??

Look up irony Steve... :)

Corabar Steve
21-05-2006, 07:01 AM
Irony: Being similar to iron (Iron like) :teeth:

Says it all though, UK comes 18th out of 24 with some (quite frankly) rubbish rap/ R&B song, & a Scandanavian metal (iron like perhaps?) band comes first

ian8limelight
21-05-2006, 09:18 AM
Quite remarkable aren't they. Looks like I feel after only a few hours sleep !!

Wolfie
21-05-2006, 10:09 AM
hopefully this will send a big warning shot to the record companies to say, yes we have well & truly had enough of rappers, cheesy teen pop & ballads

pagan_flame
21-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Yessss! Get in!!

*very pleased of Cambridge* :teeth:

Have a disco
21-05-2006, 05:06 PM
Absolutely estatic for these guys

the best kick up the eurovisions jacksy for years since bucks fizz

proves that rock is music as I have been pushing for years always play something at every disco just to break up the monotony of R & B

wensleydale
21-05-2006, 05:08 PM
don't think they'll be having any kind of success though.......

Have a disco
21-05-2006, 05:22 PM
I believe they will have success, if only this hit

I know of loads of goth rockers, most are very underground but are loyal followers. Ramstein has at least 3 concerts a year in the uk that I know of, my best mate is one of many disillusioned music fans after 20 years of nonstop rap success

I dredd these guys going on stage night after night in these outfit for the whole concert at least with kiss it was just make up and clothes. look at these guys and what there wearing struth. Talk about a hard tour concert

wensleydale
21-05-2006, 05:44 PM
wasn't having a go at them- more the fact that winning eurovision is not any measure of future success- if the english entry had won would you guys have been predicting big things for that fool?
eurovision now seems to be a freak show for those who have failed elswhere in music, those guys could play there own instruments which is a bonus, but they aren't the next pantera.

Wolfie
21-05-2006, 06:03 PM
If Simon Cowell is supposed to be the expert on finding talent & making records that are such a success, i'd like to see him put his money where his big fat mouth is & come up with a winning formula for Eurovision entries we send representing the UK.

If he wins Eurovision, then yes i will admit he does know what he is talking about... but if he send over someone such as Robson & Jerome, Westlife, Steve Brookstein we won't have a cats in hell's chance.

Rock lives on!!

Corabar Steve
21-05-2006, 06:21 PM
don't think they'll be having any kind of success though.......
They already are successful, they have 4 or 5 albums out & are superstars/household names in Finland. They've also had a couple of Uk tours playing mid sized club venues like the Camden Underworld/ the Mean Fiddler etc.

Corabar Steve
21-05-2006, 09:35 PM
They did somewhat rip off Gwar though

Have a disco
21-05-2006, 09:38 PM
just checked out 3 or 4 songs of this band, and they are a mix of Bon Jovi with a goth rock singer. They will survive here no probs, and they are a success in there own right before eurovision and will survive the curse of it. If anything there sales will increase

Wolfie
21-05-2006, 09:39 PM
when i 1st spotted "mr Lord" (or whoever he calls himself), i thought it was Roy Wood coming back from a Klingon convention.

Have a disco
21-05-2006, 09:42 PM
so another family member wolfie LOL

Corabar Steve
21-05-2006, 09:45 PM
when i 1st spotted "mr Lord" (or whoever he calls himself), i thought it was Roy Wood coming back from a Klingon convention.
Nicking Terry Wogan's lines now Wolfie? :teeth: He used that one last night

Wolfie
21-05-2006, 09:48 PM
Nicking Terry Wogan's lines now Wolfie? :teeth: He used that one last night

great minds think alike.. to be honest, i never watched it or paid much attention to what "old tel" was wittering on about, I just watched the results (that's all i ever do watch) so i never heard him say it.

Corabar Steve
21-05-2006, 10:14 PM
great minds think alike.. to be honest, i never watched it or paid much attention to what "old tel" was wittering on about(1), I just watched the results(2) (that's all i ever do watch) so i never heard him say it.
1)Obviously not
2)That was when he said it

(that's all i ever do watch)With the sound off obviously? :teeth:

soundtracker
22-05-2006, 08:39 AM
I've only seen edited hi(low)lights- I'm a working DJ- ok its Rock - crap, rip-off, derivative, nationwide conference level rock, but its rock, it isn't going to change anything, and as for Bucks Fizz kicking Eurovision up the arse-huh? what by copying what Abba did several years before.
Eurovision doesn't matter to anyone, just vacuous, trite camp, nonsense for the musically devoid (ie most of Europe) and I know someone will now post. Kraftwerk are German, and they're good! or summat similar, but anything of any consequence is few and far between.

Corabar Entertainment
22-05-2006, 09:29 AM
I've only seen edited hi(low)lights- I'm a working DJ- ok its Rock - crap, rip-off, derivative, nationwide conference level rock, but its rock, it isn't going to change anything, and as for Bucks Fizz kicking Eurovision up the arse-huh? what by copying what Abba did several years before.
Eurovision doesn't matter to anyone, just vacuous, trite camp, nonsense for the musically devoid (ie most of Europe) and I know someone will now post. Kraftwerk are German, and they're good! or summat similar, but anything of any consequence is few and far between.
Agreed - but it's fun! (and Steve was working too... but he taped it and all of our lot watched it when they got back from their jobs: I've never heard so much laughter!!!!) :teeth:

Wolfie
22-05-2006, 09:56 AM
ok its Rock - crap, rip-off, derivative, nationwide conference level rock, but its rock, it isn't going to change anything, and as for Bucks Fizz kicking Eurovision up the arse-huh? what by copying what Abba did several years before.

You could say the same for the Darkness, not being a proper rock group, they are doing a copy of what Sparks started as a style & taking off the Glam rock scene. Before they made any records they were making songs for adverts & jingles for Ikea.

Seems perculiar though that the last time us brits had any success or didn't win but did do well in Eurovision was by enlisting Americans (Katrina & The Waves) & Aussies (Gina G) to represent us.

Alex - Cream Ents
22-05-2006, 10:09 AM
To be fair, I did not see the contest as I was working, but I will say this. That Daz Sampson song was terrible, cringeworthy and utterly uninspiring. Having spoken to 6 fellow Dj's outside the Maryland chicken (healthy...)at 2 in the morning on Saturday - we all agreed. Although yes - I know thatswhat eurovision is all about. Perhaps Daz should stick to remixing 80s hits...ai no corrida...I say "hits" perhaps too generously.

The winners looked - interesting....!

Have a disco
22-05-2006, 10:15 AM

Ok lets get facts right

Bucks Fizz did a first with the skirt ripping show

Lordi does the same sort of thing (dresses up) but also brings in the first ROCK song to ever win

Abba & waterloo lets face it most eurovision songs are absolutley rubbish but like abba, bucks Fizz, Nena, Katrina & the Waves, Sandi shaw & Lordi they have sung catchy rememerable tunes all in different styles

In reality it is meant to be about the song lyrics not the singers???

Corabar Entertainment
22-05-2006, 10:23 AM
In reality it is meant to be about the song lyrics not the singers???No it's not!

Have a disco
22-05-2006, 10:29 AM
Songs written In true spirit of european unity I believe was the main aim of the competiton originally, please refer to eurovision history literature, It was never meant to be about the singers or groups but how the song was sung

by all means go out of your way to prove me wrong but here is the original song contest it started from here

The Festival della canzone italiana (in Italian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_language): Festival of the Italian song) is a popular Italian song contest running since 1951 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1951) and held annually in the city of Sanremo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanremo). Usually referred to as Festival di Sanremo, or outside Italy as Sanremo Music Festival, it was the inspiration for the Eurovision Song Contest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision_Song_Contest)

San Remo Music Festival was about finding the best songwriter and then hearing it sung in more than one language

ie; For some years (from 1953 to 1971, except 1956) each song was sung twice by two different interpreters (singer or band).

no necessarily the same singer, Hope this clarifies things

Rattz
22-05-2006, 10:43 AM
what i want to know is how in the hell did Russia get into a Europian Song contest, lol

Corabar Steve
22-05-2006, 11:10 AM
Bucks Fizz did a first with the skirt ripping show

Lordi does the same sort of thing (dresses up) but also brings in the first ROCK song to ever win
I must have missed Lordi ripping their skirts off, I'll have to watch it again :teeth:

Abba & waterloo lets face it most eurovision songs are absolutley rubbish but like abba, bucks Fizz, Nena, Katrina & the Waves, Sandi shaw & Lordi they have sung catchy rememerable tunes all in different styles

Missed her too, what year was it???

In reality it is meant to be about the song lyrics not the singers???Well the song itself as a whole I would have thought, as it's the Eurovision Song Contest & not the Eurovision Lyric Contest :teeth:

You could say the same for the Darkness, not being a proper rock group, they are doing a copy of what Sparks started as a style & taking off the Glam rock scene.
May I suggest you have a listen to the pictured album & then reconsider that one (You can buy it here (http://www.101cd.com/detail.aspx?productid=44943) or in the HMV at Stanstead Airport for £3.40)

Wolfie
22-05-2006, 12:01 PM
May I suggest you have a listen to the pictured album & then reconsider that one (You can buy it here (http://www.101cd.com/detail.aspx?productid=44943) or in the HMV at Stanstead Airport for £3.40)

What i was more referring to was the style, as in the screechy high pitched tones of their singing style.

In fact the Darkness have done a very good cover of "this town ain't big enough for the both of us" & by their own admission done it because they copy Sparks for style.

Also if you want a memorable Eurovision song, my vote goes to the Austrian entry in 2003, Alf Poier ... it sounded like a kid TV theme how it started off, then got the chorus & then it all went loopy. Best way to describe it is it's bit like the Robbie Williams version of Back for Good, only with extra Eurovision cheesyness.

Corabar Entertainment
22-05-2006, 12:04 PM
In fact the Darkness have done a very good cover of "this town ain't big enough for the both of us" You liked that? I thought it was cr*p! :)

soundtracker
22-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Sorry had to have a lie down after my uncontrollable fit of laughter about Bucks Fizz being innovative!

soundtracker
22-05-2006, 12:09 PM
You could say the same for the Darkness, not being a proper rock group, they are doing a copy of what Sparks started as a style & taking off the Glam rock scene. Before they made any records they were making songs for adverts & jingles for Ikea.

Seems perculiar though that the last time us brits had any success or didn't win but did do well in Eurovision was by enlisting Americans (Katrina & The Waves) & Aussies (Gina G) to represent us.
Know what you mean about The Darkness, but I think they are a bit tongue in cheek, whereas I'm not so sure about Slipknot featuring Roy Wood!- I think they may have meant it!! LOL

Corabar Steve
22-05-2006, 12:30 PM
Know what you mean about The Darkness, but I think they are a bit tongue in cheek, whereas I'm not so sure about Slipknot featuring Roy Wood!- I think they may have meant it!! LOL
Absolutely!

In fact the Darkness have done a very good cover of "this town ain't big enough for the both of us" It was actually British Whale / Justin Hawkins solo.

by their own admission done it because they copy Sparks for style.Well all I can say is they've never listened to a whole Sparks album then. Just going by the singles, Number One Song In Heaven, Get In The Swing, Looks Looks Looks, Beat The Clock, La Dolce Vita & Never Turn Your Back On Mother Earth are nothing like This Town etc....

As for copying Sparks' style, they are so eclectic I don't think they actually have one

I don't recall Russel Mael ever wearing lycra catsuits either :teeth:

Wolfie
22-05-2006, 12:30 PM

i did say Roy wood & a Klingon convention....

anyone fancy doing a photoshop job of putting Roy Woods head on a Klingon Body? :teeth:

the Klingon outfits
http://www.startrek.com/imageuploads/200306/ds9-473-worf-and-the-klingons/320x240.jpg

here's a nice pic of Roy Wood to use.
http://home.earthlink.net/~apawlo/wood.jpg

DJ Frankie
22-05-2006, 02:01 PM
I watched Eurovision on Saturday, and cant belive this pile of ORC :Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored: won it.

Wolfie
22-05-2006, 02:02 PM
I watched Eurovision, and cant belive this pile of ORC :Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored::Censored: won it.

so would you rather have some chav doing rap songs win it instead?

i think that what is the point here, it's just another poke in the eye for British music, because Rap & RnB is really long past it's best before date & good old Rock music lives to fight another day.

DJ Frankie
22-05-2006, 02:03 PM
I would sooner Daz anyday over this rubbish.

LONG LIVE HIP HOP

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-05-2006, 02:33 PM

Cheers then :teeth:

DJ Frankie
22-05-2006, 02:40 PM
Even Mr Solitare. :beer:

Solitaire Events Ltd
22-05-2006, 02:48 PM
Even Mr Solitare. :beer:

(First name Darren btw.... :) )

Have a disco
22-05-2006, 03:10 PM
still think lordi best thing to happen to eurovision since bucks fizz act 292 points prove it best in 51 years of it so far points wise even on averages over the years they have the best

Corabar Steve
22-05-2006, 09:21 PM

LONG LIVE HIP HOP
Looks like the rest of Europe doesn't agree with you. :teeth:

Wolfie
22-05-2006, 10:33 PM

let's see Lordy was 1st, Daz Sampson was..... erm.... 19th!

Yeap, a very good song. ...............

NOT!!

soundtracker
22-05-2006, 10:37 PM
Not since about 1945 when we saved their asses!!

Corabar Steve
22-05-2006, 10:45 PM
Don't mention the war

soundtracker
22-05-2006, 10:53 PM
let's see Lordy was 1st, Daz Sampson was..... erm.... 19th!

Yeap, a very good song. ...............

NOT!!

So when has winning Eurovision proved anything- apart from banality?

Corabar Steve
22-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Well this year for one. If it's the one thing Lordi can't be accused of it's banality, unlike Daz whatshisface

soundtracker
22-05-2006, 10:59 PM
No point arguing about that- its all down to personal opinion- I thought it was banal !

Corabar Steve
22-05-2006, 11:02 PM
No point arguing about that- its all down to personal opinion- I thought it was banal !
So you thought the british entry wasn't?????????

soundtracker
22-05-2006, 11:14 PM
So you thought the british entry wasn't?????????
No!!! Think its been all crap for at least 30 years!

Corabar Steve
23-05-2006, 06:55 AM
At least we're agreed on that

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-05-2006, 09:17 AM
Love City Groove was alright.

soundtracker
23-05-2006, 09:24 AM
The Alisons - Are you sure? was a goodie!

Danno13
23-05-2006, 11:56 AM
The fact is that no matter how good (or bad) our entry is, the rest of europe still won't vote for us. Its all political... i actually thought Daz Samson was so bad that it actually stood a good chance!

soundtracker
23-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Exactly- Palmerston would have sent a gun Boat!

Corabar Steve
23-05-2006, 12:48 PM
I haven't had a clue what you are going on about since my last post :confused: :embarasse :confused:(Daz & Pete that is)

Corabar Steve
23-05-2006, 01:55 PM
The fact is that no matter how good (or bad) our entry is, the rest of europe still won't vote for us. Its all political...
God forbid that anyone would vote for a song they actually liked

soundtracker
23-05-2006, 02:09 PM
C'mon we know how it works! Greece votes for Cyprus, Cyprus votes for Greece and Turkey, Turkey vote fro Cyprus. All of the former Eastern Block countries vote for each other, and Finland(Baltic neighbours) and so on and so forth.
All of the charts in Europe, are stuffed full of British Acts, its just their way of getting their own back.

Corabar Steve
23-05-2006, 02:20 PM
So how come the winners aren't always from the highest populated block of countries? whichever that would be? Balkans, Baltic, Med? & how home the UK has won on more thn one occasion?

Too much is made of the alleged political voting, it happens to an extent but not that much. Wogan was proven wrong when he sumised that Russia & the Ukrane would not vote for each other after the gas pipeline incident (they did).

I think however there does happen to be a bit of a "national taste in music" & neighbouring states do tend to have overall similar tastes, but that's as far as it goes.

Danno13
23-05-2006, 02:34 PM
Well our rankings have dropped significantly since the Iraq war... coincidence??

KrazyKaz
23-05-2006, 02:41 PM
OK, so Finland won for once - made a change to see a Rock band win I s'pose, but what about 2nd place and 3rd place, Russia and Bosnia & Herezgovna? What did you think of those? I personally didn't like them, but I did quite like the German entry, made a change to hear a bit of country. And they didn't get many points , if any.

Corabar Steve
23-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Well our rankings have dropped significantly since the Iraq war... coincidence??
Possibly, but (& maybe I'm being idealistic here) Wouldn't the C**P songs we've entered have someting to do with it?? :)

Corabar Steve
23-05-2006, 02:45 PM
I did quite like the German entry, made a change to hear a bit of country. And they didn't get many points , if any.
It was a bit strange hearing Country in a german accent though :teeth:

KrazyKaz
23-05-2006, 02:46 PM
It was a bit strange hearing Country in a german accent though :teeth:

Maybe so, but IMO it was better than the 2nd and 3rd place

soundtracker
23-05-2006, 02:51 PM
Possibly, but (& maybe I'm being idealistic here) Wouldn't the C**P songs we've entered have someting to do with it?? :)
Course not- all the songs are crap!

KrazyKaz
23-05-2006, 02:56 PM

Lmao!!

Corabar Entertainment
23-05-2006, 03:12 PM
I say, bring back Johnnie Logan! :teeth: :teeth: ;)

CRAZY K
23-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Germany--home of Country and Western --yeah! : :sad: :sad: :sad:

Says it all really--I just cannot bring myself to listen to any of it--

Ah well suppose I should be grateful---will probably boost my bookings over the next few months!!!

CRAZY K

soundtracker
23-05-2006, 03:35 PM
What the bloke with three ears?

Corabar Entertainment
23-05-2006, 03:36 PM
:confused:

soundtracker
23-05-2006, 03:38 PM
D'oh!

Whats another ear!

I'm ear all week!

Jiggles
23-05-2006, 03:40 PM
I dont think LT United will be singing "We Are The Winners" in a hurry. :teeth: :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
23-05-2006, 03:42 PM
D'oh!

Whats another ear!

I'm ear all week!OUCH! (Where's that 'Bad Joke' Thread when you need it? :) )

Corabar Entertainment
23-05-2006, 03:43 PM
I dont think LT United will be singing "We Are The Winners" in a hurry. :teeth: :teeth:I didn't know that the Capital's underground system had a football team :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Jiggles
23-05-2006, 03:47 PM
I didn't know that the Capital's underground system had a football team :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Ha Ha! :teeth: :teeth:

Corabar Steve
23-05-2006, 05:08 PM
Maybe so, but IMO it was better than the 2nd and 3rd place
Agreed

Especialy the ones from the Uk over the last few years! :teeth: BTW what was with Las Ketchup? I thought they were a fun group until I heard their effort. (& didn't there only used to be 3 of them?)

Nooooooo! :omg:

Whats another ear!Saw that coming a mile off! :teeth:

soundtracker
23-05-2006, 06:00 PM
Saw that coming a mile off! :teeth:

I'll fetch my coat! :embarasse

Wolfie
23-05-2006, 06:59 PM

I always thought that was Mr Spock..

he has a left ear, a right ear & a Final front-ear

Corabar Steve
23-05-2006, 07:03 PM
I always thought that was Mr Spock..

he has a left ear, a right ear & a Final front-ear
That was worse, older & you could see it from a lot further away :teeth:

Corabar Steve
23-05-2006, 07:07 PM
I'm waiting for the Games Workshop / Citadel Miniatures range of Lordi Warhammer figures :teeth: