PDA

View Full Version : microphone noise

markdj60
12-10-2009, 09:30 PM
hi folks not sure if i have asked this before sorry if i have anyway i use a twin wireless mic setup and if i get in front of the speakers (not to close i know) i get a high pitched noise that i cant seem to sort out any help would be appreciated.

NKR
12-10-2009, 09:36 PM
hi folks not sure if i have asked this before sorry if i have anyway i use a twin wireless mic setup and if i get in front of the speakers (not to close i know) i get a high pitched noise that i cant seem to sort out any help would be appreciated.

What mics are you using?

Don't stand directly in front of speakers as what you are probably getting is feedback?

I had hell of a time on Saturday night in a mini night club set up with a speaker pointing back towards me (install job). My Sennheiser wire mic was picking everything up and sqealing like a good one. Had to stand with my back to the crowd to shield the mic when using it.

jc light and sound
12-10-2009, 10:24 PM
Just in reply to your microphone problems,could be two things one already covered in the previous thread being feedback depends how close your getting to your speakers,the other could be the quality of mic a lot of radio systems are really poor quality i appologise upfront if yours isnt but there are a lot out there which just arent up to the job.
It goes without saying you get what you pay for and with pa sound equipment its true.
If you do have a decent quality system it will nine times out of ten be feedback/gain control.
Hope this helps.

flatliners
12-10-2009, 11:17 PM
the technical name for it is feed back i would say have a word with a1 discos on the forum he knows shed loads about sound systems and setting up sound systems send him an email i am sure he will help.
or just do a search on net for feed back sod that
http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/audio-music/question263.htm&ei=sbjTSruqDMK24QbXzMyjAw&sa=X&oi=spellmeleon_result&resnum=1&ct=result&ved=0CA0QhgIwAA&usg=AFQjCNFRUDsO13KFTwrXShIVH7vcyIalNA

markdj60
20-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks folks i am begining to think it is my mics as they are only pro sound but then again my mate has the same and his dont do it.

NKR
20-10-2009, 05:33 PM
Sennheiser or Shure - Industry standards. I am a Senn man myself, but others on here will be Shure.

If its radio you are after you will pay a fair wack for them and watch out for cheep fakes. However, Senn have just released the G3 range so G2's may be knocking about cheaper than usual.

A1DL
20-10-2009, 06:43 PM

Any mic & speaker combination will give acoustic feedback at the point at which a sound loop is created. Better quality microphones with cardiod/supercardioid pickup patterns permit higher gain before feedback.

The best way to reduce / eliminate the risk of feedback is to consider speaker placement in relation to the mics. Also, minimise the number of microphones "open" at one given time. All things being even, each time you double the number of open microphones, you reduce the gain before feedback threshold by 3dB.

Some may recommend feedback destroyers, personally I'm not a fan of them and where I have seen them used in a mobile disco scenario (as opposed to a pro audio scenario) they tend to end up in the FOH signal path as opposed to on a channel or subgroup insert on a desk, thus destroying a lot more than the mic feedback on one channel! Tackle the problem at source.

Hope this helps, Tony

DeckstarDeluxe
20-10-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks folks i am begining to think it is my mics as they are only pro sound but then again my mate has the same and his dont do it.

Get better mics for a start I would say.

Vectis
20-10-2009, 09:29 PM
Tackle the problem at source.

Get better mics for a start I would say.

So did Tony :p