PDA

View Full Version : News to me!

Spirits High
13-10-2009, 11:53 PM
Today I happened to call into a large disco retailers shop very near Nottingham ;) on the lookout for a karaoke mixer with 4 mic inputs and some effects didn't find what I was looking for but stumbled across this piece of info.

If I want to have more than 2 mics on at a time I would need a different licence as it was no longer "karaoke" but a live performance if you have more than 2 mics :confused: :confused: :confused:

When I questioned that surely the venues PRS licence would cover this I was told "not always" and that I would need my own licence for it.

Now maybe I've been missing something but I've never heard of this :confused:

Anyone shed some light as to what he may have been on about?

DeckstarDeluxe
13-10-2009, 11:58 PM
did they tell you what the licence is called???

Jiggles
14-10-2009, 12:04 AM
What the... Thats just totally stupid now if it is true...

Charlie Brown
14-10-2009, 12:14 AM
That can't be right! What is the world coming too!

A1DL
14-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Anyone shed some light as to what he may have been on about?

I haven't been in a disco shop for 15+ years, however my recollection of the general level of knowledge & conversation within these establishments made "Derek & Clive" look like university lecturers.

In other words, complete :BS:

They didn't offer to sell you one of these "licences", by any chance?

Spirits High
14-10-2009, 12:18 AM
did they tell you what the licence is called???

No, he went a bit sheepish when I said that surely PRS would cover it.

What the... Thats just totally stupid now if it is true...

I don't think it is , more he was trying to be clever.

That can't be right! What is the world coming too!

Personally I think he was talking :BS:

I haven't been in a disco shop for 15+ years, however my recollection of the general level of knowledge & conversation within these establishments made "Derek & Clive" look like university lecturers.

In other words, complete :BS:

They didn't offer to sell you one of these "licences", by any chance?

No they didn't like I said think he was just trying to be a smart bottom ;)

Excalibur
14-10-2009, 06:42 AM
Today I happened to call into a large disco retailers shop very near Nottingham ;) on the lookout for a karaoke mixer with 4 mic inputs and some effects didn't find what I was looking for but stumbled across this piece of info.

?

I put my paws on the very item you appear to be seeking at BPM. ;) ;)

I'd have had one, but for price. :( :( :(
http://www.decks.co.uk/products/pioneer/DJM5000

Spirits High
14-10-2009, 09:21 AM
I put my paws on the very item you appear to be seeking at BPM. ;) ;)

I'd have had one, but for price. :( :( :(
http://www.decks.co.uk/products/pioneer/DJM5000

You're a funny guy :p :D :D :D

Corabar Steve
14-10-2009, 09:59 AM
It's outdated information, that was largely ignored when it was the law.

It all changed when the licencing laws did. Should be covered by venue licence

Excalibur
14-10-2009, 02:41 PM
You're a funny guy :p :D :D :D

OK, so I can't afford one. You spotted that. :D Seriously, I reckon it's a "one size fits all " mixer. Standard size for DJ work, and all the extras for Karaoke.
If the price tag bothers you, then since I now know which emporium you were in, did you check out the KAM KAP 1500? Many of the required karaoke facilities, nearly £600 cheaper. Perhaps not as robust, as the one sat in my shed will testify. :( For sale cheap, if you want?

Sarahjovi
15-10-2009, 12:36 PM
We always carry 4 microphones for the singers! I had heard the said 2 mics law, but when I applied for a premise licence for my local community hall I discussed karaoke at length with the councils licence department and they said that Karaoke was a grey area, however if you state 'Karaoke' on the application as well as live music and disco! then you would be covered.

There was no mention of restrictions on the amount of microphones you use for Karaoke.

I did a karaoke gig in a pub this year, when I got there they had signs up advertising an open Mic night. When I enquired why this was, I was told that they had a licence for Disco or Live Music, but not for Karaoke, hence Open Mic Night!

Sarah :D