PDA

View Full Version : Is this legal???

rossken
14-10-2009, 06:14 PM
Hey folks,

Recently I have seen on "auction site" quite a number of karaoke collections that are, from what I understand, a harddrive or CD/DVD loaded with karaoke tracks. Some are advertising 7000 karaoke tracks on one DVD for about £12!!! I can't see how these are legal. I even asked the seller if the quality was as good as the professional manufacturers (Sunfly, Mr Entertainer, etc.) and the reply I got was..."These are quality tracks..." Whats that supposed to mean?

I've now found another collection which is 100,000 Karaoke tracks and over 150,000 ordinary music files on a 500GB harddrive. All this for £140. What annoys me is that it says in the description they are legal and are top quality tracks (Sunfly, Mr Entertainer and Zoom are they examples given)...How can they be legal?

I don't want to post links to these listing as I don't want to be seen to be promoting them, however I'm sure you all know what I am talking about.

Whats your take on these types of listings?

Spirits High
14-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Hey folks,

Recently I have seen on "auction site" quite a number of karaoke collections that are, from what I understand, a harddrive or CD/DVD loaded with karaoke tracks. Some are advertising 7000 karaoke tracks on one DVD for about £12!!! I can't see how these are legal. I even asked the seller if the quality was as good as the professional manufacturers (Sunfly, Mr Entertainer, etc.) and the reply I got was..."These are quality tracks..." Whats that supposed to mean?

I've now found another collection which is 100,000 Karaoke tracks and over 150,000 ordinary music files on a 500GB harddrive. All this for £140. What annoys me is that it says in the description they are legal and are top quality tracks (Sunfly, Mr Entertainer and Zoom are they examples given)...How can they be legal?

I don't want to post links to these listing as I don't want to be seen to be promoting them, however I'm sure you all know what I am talking about.

Do you really think it's legal :bang: :bang:

DeckstarDeluxe
14-10-2009, 06:25 PM
yes they are in fact i posted a thread not too long ago and this. If its too good to be true then it usually is.

They are copies plain and simple. I reported the items i saw to ebay but theres so many on there they dont appear to take it seriously..

rossken
14-10-2009, 06:38 PM
yes they are in fact i posted a thread not too long ago and this. If its too good to be true then it usually is.

They are copies plain and simple. I reported the items i saw to ebay but theres so many on there they dont appear to take it seriously..

Just what I thought......

Some even say at the bottom of the listings "Note to Ebay - we have the licences to sell this product" or something to that effect... what a load of rubbish!

Danno13
14-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Total illegal, report them.

DazzyD
14-10-2009, 07:51 PM

First of all, they are very ILLEGAL and shouldn't be touched with a barge-pole.

Secondly, I've been collecting and ripping to MP3 music for years and have a vast personal collection being around 65,000 audio tracks and 12,000 karaoke tracks and these will not fit on to a single 500GB drive. Which leads to the assumption that, if this guys tracks were legal, the quality must be absolutely shocking!

Booche
14-10-2009, 11:25 PM
Im guessing that no-one would sell there whole collection backup or not for that cheap so yeah id say deffo that its ILLEGAL ( just hope you havent bid for any of them )

rossken
15-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Im guessing that no-one would sell there whole collection backup or not for that cheap so yeah id say deffo that its ILLEGAL ( just hope you havent bid for any of them )

No.... Definately not! The quality must be rubbish and unusable in the professional environment.

Cj_The_Dj
15-10-2009, 08:14 AM
First of all, they are very ILLEGAL and shouldn't be touched with a barge-pole.

Secondly, I've been collecting and ripping to MP3 music for years and have a vast personal collection being around 65,000 audio tracks and 12,000 karaoke tracks and these will not fit on to a single 500GB drive. Which leads to the assumption that, if this guys tracks were legal, the quality must be absolutely shocking!

are you sure beacue i have around 14,000 tracks on 120gb

and don't buy the songs.

rob1963
15-10-2009, 08:26 AM
are you sure because i have around 14,000 tracks on 120gb

And I have just over 9,000 songs which only take up about 60gb.

Surely the number of songs you can fit on a hard drive depends on the bit rate they're ripped/downloaded at?

Cj_The_Dj
15-10-2009, 08:51 AM

Surely the number of songs you can fit on a hard drive depends on the bit rate they're ripped/downloaded at?

I do have space on my hdd as well lol.

I think it must do. I always use Alto MP3 maker im not sure what its riped at but it sounds the same as downloads tracks...too me.

Larry B Entertainment
15-10-2009, 11:19 AM
Hey folks,

Loads of these on ebay and I always report them.

DazzyD
15-10-2009, 01:05 PM
are you sure beacue i have around 14,000 tracks on 120gb

and don't buy the songs.

Quite sure. I have a total of 1TB storage over 2 drives as I can't fit my personal library on one drive.

I will say, however, that I've also taken the time and effort over the years to scan covers, inlays, CD booklets, record sleeves (external and internal) - basically everything that came with the original vinyl record, audio tape and CD. So I'd say that these graphics files take up a fair bit of space also.

However, 65000 is 4.5 times your 14000 on 120g and that's without the karaoke!

This is very true, Rob. The tracks in my personal collection are for use on my MP3 player and on the home network so quality isn't a big issue. The track quality starts at 128kbps and goes up to 256kbps (unlike my disco setup where I buy my tracks at 320kbps).

However, my karaoke collection has always been ripped at the highest conversion rate that my software will allow. It takes a while to convert each track but I think it's worth it and works best for keeping the audio and graphics in sync.

DJNutter
15-10-2009, 02:33 PM
In response to the topic:
As long as it comes with the original Cd's and Download Receipts - should be fine !
However, I think you will find neither of those will apply.

Regarding bit-rate for the disco, no less than 320 will ever grace my speakers.
I know it's ott but some of my tracks are lossless and about 125mb per track ! :eek:

Nutter