PDA

View Full Version : Grammar / sentence guru needed!

Spirits High
15-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi guys,

I'm in the middle of doing some new promo stuff (flyers etc)

Now I've got this paragraph in but to me it doesn't read right:

Spirits High Entertainments is run by Paul Thompson. Having built our reputation in Northern Ireland looking after countless Weddings and birthday parties in May of 2007 we re-located to Derbyshire.

Can someone structure it for me please if you know what I mean ;)

DJNutter
15-10-2009, 07:14 PM
"Originally from Northern Ireland, Paul Thomson brings Spirits High Entertainments to Derbyshire, Spirits High Entertainments has a well earned reputation for expertise in Weddings and Birthday parties and is now available for bookings in the Derbyshire area."

Not sure on your context though - did you move in 2007 ?

Spirits High
15-10-2009, 07:19 PM
"Originally from Northern Ireland, Paul Thomson brings Spirits High Entertainments to Derbyshire, Spirits High Entertainments has a well earned reputation for expertise in Weddings and Birthday parties and is now available for bookings in the Derbyshire area."

Not sure on your context though - did you move in 2007 ?

Not actually originally from "Norn Iron" I was working out there at the time I relaunched Spirits.

I moved over from Belfast in August 2007 with a job relocation.

NKR
15-10-2009, 07:38 PM
In my opinion you just need to cut the end of the sentence from .... In May ... and put it at the front to read.

In May 2007 we relocated to Derbyshire having built our reputation performing at numerous weddings and parties in Northern Ireland.

Emphasis is then on the current with where you previously built your reputation in support. Sentence is also more concise and reads easier. The Birthday on parties added nothing and actually narrowed your experience.

Thats my opinion, but others may disagree.

Spirits High
15-10-2009, 07:53 PM
In my opinion you just need to cut the end of the sentence from .... In May ... and put it at the front to read.

In May 2007 we relocated to Derbyshire having built our reputation performing at numerous weddings and parties in Northern Ireland.

Emphasis is then on the current with where you previously built your reputation in support. Sentence is also more concise and reads easier. The Birthday on parties added nothing and actually narrowed your experience.

I can see what you're doing there ;)

No doubt Soundtracker will be along soon with the correct version of the Queens English :D

soundtracker
15-10-2009, 09:13 PM
Eek, the pressure!! Bit :Censored: at the mo, I'll have a gander tomorrow!

Spirits High
15-10-2009, 11:47 PM

Ah ha! As if by magic he appears :D :D

Dynamic Entertainment
16-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Bit :Censored:....at 10.13pm :eek: ....i want what you were drinking.

Hangover? :D

Spirits High
16-10-2009, 08:34 AM

All together now WAKE UP Peter :D :D

SC Events
16-10-2009, 09:12 AM
:lol:

...something tells me he might not be around for a bit...Although I could be wrong as he is showing 'Online' :D :D :D

Shaun
16-10-2009, 09:19 AM

Is that why I've had to go around this thread editing posts? :beer1: :d

soundtracker
16-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Morning, morning! IMHO the best idea is to keep things simple and uncomplicated and not to give people too much info to confuse them or make them think too hard, so I would go for something like:

Spirits High Entertainment is a Professional Disco Service based in Derbyshire. It is owned and operated by Paul Thompson who has been a successful DJ for over xx years.

rob1963
16-10-2009, 09:21 AM

I completely agree...and I know a bit about the English language!

:D :D :D

Spirits High
16-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Morning, morning! IMHO the best idea is to keep things simple and uncomplicated and not to give people too much info to confuse them or make them think too hard, so I would go for something like:

Spirits High Entertainment is a Professional Disco Service based in Derbyshire. It is owned and operated by Paul Thompson who has been a successful DJ for over xx years.

Morning Peter, how's the head :D :D

I completely agree...and I know a bit about the English language!

:D :D :D

Thanks guys....two options now ;)

soundtracker
16-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Absolutely fine mate, off to meet Theo for lunch in an hour or so!

The reason that I left out the relocation bit was to save on clients speculating as to why you had left N.I, saves you having to explain yourself!

jeff wood
16-10-2009, 10:11 AM
why mention Northern Ireland at all ?

just put you've been working "over seas" but have now relocated to derbyshire...

:)

Corabar Entertainment
16-10-2009, 11:35 AM
If I read 'working overseas' my mind would automatically impose an image of a club DJ (not necessarily correct, I know). Nothing wrong with that, but it might not necessaily be the impression that Paul wants to give.

rob1963
16-10-2009, 01:59 PM
If I read 'working overseas' my mind would automatically impose an image of a club DJ

I'm not so sure about that.

Vectis works overseas all the time, and he's not a club DJ!

:D

Corabar Entertainment
16-10-2009, 02:01 PM
If I read 'working overseas' my mind would automatically impose an image of a club DJ (not necessarily correct, I know). Nothing wrong with that, but it might not necessaily be the impression that Paul wants to give.

I'm not so sure about that.

Vectis works overseas all the time, and he's not a club DJ!

:D...I'm glad you're not so sure about what my mind would think, Rob! :p

rob1963
16-10-2009, 03:34 PM
...I'm glad you're not so sure about what my mind would think, Rob! :p

Lol!

I meant I'm not so sure TOO MANY peoples minds would think that!

:D