PDA

View Full Version : Notebook?

stevus
20-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi Guys,
Does anyone D.J with a notebook? Im about to go digital and i don't know if i should get a traditional laptop or a notebook. Any recommendations?
(I did search the forum for this subject and didnt find it, sorry if i missed it and started an unneccesary new thread)
Thanks.

Daryll
20-10-2009, 04:00 PM
I dont use a notebook , but I cannot see why they cannot be used , but then again I use a external monitor ,mouse,keyboard with a laptop , I tend to think you would use that for a notebook as well.

Daryll

stevus
20-10-2009, 04:04 PM
I dont use a notebook , but I cannot see why they cannot be used , but then again I use a external monitor ,mouse,keyboard with a laptop , I tend to think you would use that for a notebook as well.

Daryll

Hi Daryll,
What are the benefits of using the external monitor etc.?
Thanks for reply.

discomobiledj
20-10-2009, 04:37 PM
I think that the notebook would be too small, I have one at work and I'm forever knocking the wrong key (could also be due to my large hands!)

stevus
20-10-2009, 04:46 PM
I think that the notebook would be too small, I have one at work and I'm forever knocking the wrong key (could also be due to my large hands!)

Good point, but how much would i be using the keys for djing? perhaps for the odd track search but it would really just be the mouse pad i would be using surely?
Thanks.

Daryll
20-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Hi Daryll,
What are the benefits of using the external monitor etc.?
Thanks for reply.

at my age my eyes are not as good :D , my lappy has a 15" screen , the external has a 19" screen , to me , that makes a big difference.
one other advantage , if Mr punter spills a drink , having the laptop/notebook under the top shelf helps keep it dry , and adds a small amount of protection.

Laptop is on the bottom shelf , out of (most) harms way/

Daryll

stevus
20-10-2009, 05:31 PM
at my age my eyes are not as good :D , my lappy has a 15" screen , the external has a 19" screen , to me , that makes a big difference.
one other advantage , if Mr punter spills a drink , having the laptop/notebook under the top shelf helps keep it dry , and adds a small amount of protection.

Laptop is on the bottom shelf , out of (most) harms way/

Daryll

Thanks for that. I'll keep it in mind.

sleah
20-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Apart from the screen maybe being too small, beware that you may be pushing it a bit processor wise. That will depend very much on your application of choice.
If you are using video or maybe doing lots of scratching, looping and the like, it will take more power than simply playing tunes back to back.

Check the minimum spec required by your software.

DeckstarDeluxe
20-10-2009, 09:04 PM
i use a notebook for the day job and use a lappy myself for home and djing use.

Personally I dont think the notebook would last long with all that data on there. Its slow on some web based apps and Im sure it wont be working this time next year. Could be wrong but thats my thoughts.

Plus notebooks dont have cd drives so your wanting to burn to mp3....... you cant

A1DL
20-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Can someone explain in simple terms what is the difference between a "laptop" and a "notebook" computer?

I thought the really small computers were called "palmtops" or PDAs and that "laptop" and "notebook" were two names for the size of computer you can put in a briefcase or bag?

Keep it simple for the old dinosaur :o

Booche
20-10-2009, 09:23 PM
The Notebook Computer
A standard notebook has the following features:
1. Ultralight. Less weight is better.
2. 4 - 5 hour battery life.
3. No internal floppy drive.
4. Minimal graphics subsystem.
5. No internal DVD or CD system.
6. 12" - 14" TFT screen.
7. Low profile (thin).
8. Integrated modem and network connection.
9. Smallest possible keyboard that retains functionality.
10. Low power consumption Celeron/Centrino or Sempron style processor
In essence a notebook computer is designed to provide mobile computing that won't break your back yet still offer all the power the mobile users requires for work and some leisure pursuits. This portability normally comes at a price. The level of minituarization involved comes at a cost and high end notebooks can prove to be quite expensive.

The Laptop Computer
Now for the laptop computer. Again look at the name. A laptop is designed to sit on your lap and you can therefore expect it to be quite large and loaded down with features and power. The
The standard laptop computer would have some ,if not all, of the following features:
1. 14" - 17" (widescreen) TFT screen.
2. Nvidia GeForce or ATI Radeon graphics subsystem.
3. Internal DVD-ROM or DVD-RW drive
4. Large full featured keyboard.
5. 3 hour+ battery life.
6. Upgradeable.
7. Integrated modem, network, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi capabilities.
8. High quality integrate audio and speaker system.
9. Low power consumption, high performance Intel Centrino style processor.
From reading the above information you'll see that the notebook is the exact opposite of the laptop. Notebooks offer reasonable power and extreme portability. Laptops are designed to be capable of replacing an entire desktop PC if necessary whilst still offering desktop performance in a mobile platform. Hopefully this article has helped clear up the differences between both classes of portable computers. As time and technology moves on the line between laptop and notebook will continue to blue but for right now it's still clearly defined and driven by the demands of the portable computer market

Courtesy of Google ;)

A1DL
20-10-2009, 09:28 PM
The Notebook Computer
Minimal graphics subsystem.

The Laptop Computer
Nvidia GeForce or ATI Radeon graphics subsystem.

Cheers, buddy :) I suspected the difference would have been something to do with the Nevada G-Force ATI subsystem. :p

Booche
20-10-2009, 09:35 PM
Cheers, buddy :) I suspected the difference would have been something to do with the Nevada G-Force ATI subsystem. :p

lol No worries ;) :P

ppentertainments
20-10-2009, 09:42 PM
I bought a notebook to use for gigs, but found it too small and a bit annoying if honest. Keep one as second backup though.

stevus
21-10-2009, 12:23 PM
thanks for the replies guys, its a proper nightmare trying to find the right software there are quite a few out there? is there a general winner or is it purely a case of horses for courses???? any thoughts and opinions are both welcome and appreciated.
cheers:beer1: