PDA

View Full Version : Website Redesign!

Ryu
29-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Finally got my domain released by office live, and was recommended Mr Site to redesign my site.

The content (especially on the FAQ page) needs some work, generally reducing, but other than that...your thoughts?

http://www.harlequinroadshow.co.uk

Vectis
29-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Oki doki... here goes ;)

1. Grey text on dark grey background is a no-no

1b. Blue text on a dark grey background (even if it IS an off-site link) is a no-no.

2. I hate the fact that the page sizes differ so. I understand the need to have some pages longer than others, but pick a minimum height and apply it consistently.

2a. On my browser (Safari 4 on OSX) the page centering is also off - that or the box widths are not consistent - when I click through the pages the content window moves around left/right by a few pixels each time. Annoying.

3. Personal preference here, but I hate the centred justification used throughout.

4. You need an image or two on the index page. It also needs more content.

5. <TITLE> and <META DESCRIPTION> need a LOT more work if you want the search engines to find and rank you.

6. On FAQs,

a) are PAT/PLI/ProDub worthy of top spot? Surely they're not your most frequently-asked questions?
b) the PAT/PLI/ProDub links go to third-party websites. Consider using TARGET="_blank" to open these in new windows so the customer isn't directed away from your site
c) I think it's the choice of font, but there's no way I'd read through that lot. It's a bit of a mess, frankly. Consider as a minimum having the titles in a larger font size and increasing the line height ever so slightly to space out the text better. And lose the centered justification!!
d) Don't talk about negative feedback - it implies that you receive some. Don't stoop any lower than 'valued feedback'. :o
e) Don't have underlined bits of text when your URLs are only decorated with underlines. People will try to click on links that don't exist.

7. Enquiry form. A bit sparse don't you think? Enquiry forms definitely fall into the "less is more" category but you're relying on the customer giving you all the relevant detail - which they won't - and they'll expect a fully fledged quote in return - which they won't get. Surely as a minimum you need a date, a venue, a party type, a guest count? Also, CAPTCHA - yuk.

8. Gallery - nice implementation. I've seen a lot worse! A few more pics and some more subtle watermarks and you're sorted on that one :)

Ryu
29-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Oki doki... here goes ;)

1. Grey text on dark grey background is a no-no

1b. Blue text on a dark grey background (even if it IS an off-site link) is a no-no.

2. I hate the fact that the page sizes differ so. I understand the need to have some pages longer than others, but pick a minimum height and apply it consistently.

2a. On my browser (Safari 4 on OSX) the page centering is also off - that or the box widths are not consistent - when I click through the pages the content window moves around left/right by a few pixels each time. Annoying.

3. Personal preference here, but I hate the centred justification used throughout.

4. You need an image or two on the index page. It also needs more content.

5. <TITLE> and <META DESCRIPTION> need a LOT more work if you want the search engines to find and rank you.

6. On FAQs,

a) are PAT/PLI/ProDub worthy of top spot? Surely they're not your most frequently-asked questions?
b) the PAT/PLI/ProDub links go to third-party websites. Consider using TARGET="_blank" to open these in new windows so the customer isn't directed away from your site
c) I think it's the choice of font, but there's no way I'd read through that lot. It's a bit of a mess, frankly. Consider as a minimum having the titles in a larger font size and increasing the line height ever so slightly to space out the text better. And lose the centered justification!!
d) Don't talk about negative feedback - it implies that you receive some. Don't stoop any lower than 'valued feedback'. :o
e) Don't have underlined bits of text when your URLs are only decorated with underlines. People will try to click on links that don't exist.

7. Enquiry form. A bit sparse don't you think? Enquiry forms definitely fall into the "less is more" category but you're relying on the customer giving you all the relevant detail - which they won't - and they'll expect a fully fledged quote in return - which they won't get. Surely as a minimum you need a date, a venue, a party type, a guest count? Also, CAPTCHA - yuk.

8. Gallery - nice implementation. I've seen a lot worse! A few more pics and some more subtle watermarks and you're sorted on that one :)

You, sir, are a legend. Genuinely useful considered feedback. Thank you. :)
Fortunately, I have a free weekend to get all that implemented.

Vectis
29-10-2009, 07:51 PM
You, sir, are a legend. Genuinely useful considered feedback. Thank you. :)
Fortunately, I have a free weekend to get all that implemented.

No worries... nice to get thanks rather than toys flung out of a pram :zip:

Another quickie - no contact page? I know you have phone numbers on page 1, which is fine, but if you're not having a contact page consider putting contacts on ALL pages. I put mine in my header image, job done. No email addy?

discomobiledj
29-10-2009, 08:13 PM
The captcha is standard with Mr Site, they have changed their systems so you now have to use their own forms which involves the Captcha.

Was with them but now changed hosts and redesigning a new site.

Ryu
29-10-2009, 08:15 PM
No worries... nice to get thanks rather than toys flung out of a pram :zip:

Another quickie - no contact page? I know you have phone numbers on page 1, which is fine, but if you're not having a contact page consider putting contacts on ALL pages. I put mine in my header image, job done. No email addy?

No its seriously all good, I'm no expert when it comes to web stuff, but I can find my way around with a bit of practice, so any workable tips that I know how to fix are really helpful.

Is the Enquiry Form not the contact page?

Ryu
29-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Right that's a few of the suggestions updated, still work to do, that contact form is hard work, the spacing and box sizes isn't quite right.

Also need to get the camera out next gig to get a few more useable pics!!

Charlie Brown
29-10-2009, 09:57 PM
Maybe a page designed for weddings or birthday parties too?

yourdj
30-10-2009, 07:13 AM
I would get some pics of people dancing on the gallery as you look a bit lonely in that big room.

rob1963
30-10-2009, 08:41 AM
I agree with pretty much everything Vectis has said.

Is the Enquiry Form not the contact page?

No, it's just an enquiry form!

My own contact page has not only an enquiry form, but an address, a landline number, a mobile number and an email link. Now THAT'S a contact page!

discomobiledj
30-10-2009, 08:56 AM
The enquiry form is strictly that with Mr Site, the actual page is not editable (bar the actual form). Mr Site is great for beginners but it does have alot of limitations.

Ryu
30-10-2009, 09:13 AM
I agree with pretty much everything Vectis has said.

No, it's just an enquiry form!

My own contact page has not only an enquiry form, but an address, a landline number, a mobile number and an email link. Now THAT'S a contact page!

Thought I fixed some Vectis suggestions last night...

Agree about getting some people dancing pics and a specific wedding page.

I think the contacts page is editable, I can certainly add in more details in text, that's for sure.

Thanks for the continued feedback, I have a busy website editing weekend ahead.

Goodfellows Discos
31-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Possibly a change of the text colour on the banner? Try a more subtle grey that would defo work with the rest of the template.

Also:

Harlequin Roadshow is a Mobile Disco, managed by Terry and Ryan Dale, a Father and Son team who have together over 30 years of DJing experience, catering for literally thousands of parties for literally hundreds of different occasions, Birthdays, Office Parties, College Balls, Charity events, Theme Nights and with a special emphasis on Weddings.

Would definitely scrap that ender - reading it myself makes me feel unworthy of booking you as a client. I wish I had special emphasis on my birthday :( , it's a shame its just for weddings like you said. Totally reformed your paragraph:

Managed by father and son team Terry and Ryan Dale, Harlequin Roadshow is a mobile disco catering for any type of event. With over 30 years of DJing experience between them, you can be sure that your event, be it a Birthday, Office Party, College Ball, Charity Event, Theme Night or Wedding will be emphasised to a special and unique level.

Also, try and stick the whole of the website in one perspective. Your homepage is in third person but the rest of your pages are in first. Typically, content written in third person seems more professional to a client's point of view.

Alex

Ryu
31-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Possibly a change of the text colour on the banner? Try a more subtle grey that would defo work with the rest of the template.

Also:

Would definitely scrap that ender - reading it myself makes me feel unworthy of booking you as a client. I wish I had special emphasis on my birthday :( , it's a shame its just for weddings like you said. Totally reformed your paragraph:

Also, try and stick the whole of the website in one perspective. Your homepage is in third person but the rest of your pages are in first. Typically, content written in third person seems more professional to a client's point of view.

Alex

Thanks Alex.

Not sure I agree with you entirely on the wording issue, I don't think it suggests we give less service to non wedding events, I DO think I need to drop the ender all together though, and show our wedding focus on an additional page (as suggested by Charlie :approve: ), given the purpose of the opening paragraph is to emphasise our experience, the ender is out of place, thanks for spotting that.

Goodfellows Discos
31-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks Alex.

Not sure I agree with you entirely on the wording issue, I don't think it suggests we give less service to non wedding events, I DO think I need to drop the ender all together though, and show our wedding focus on an additional page (as suggested by Charlie :approve: ), given the purpose of the opening paragraph is to emphasise our experience, the ender is out of place, thanks for spotting that.

Ahh, I had the impression you wanted to keep the phrase "special emphasis" so I constructed a quick paragraph on how else you could say it - I get what you mean though.

Having seperate events on each pages is a great idea - you can sell your heart out advertising whatever the website visitor is looking for, and it won't seem that you prefer doing a particular event, eg weddings.

Alex

rob1963
01-11-2009, 12:16 AM
Harlequin Roadshow is a Mobile Disco, managed by Terry and Ryan Dale, a Father and Son team who have together over 30 years of DJing experience, catering for literally thousands of parties for literally hundreds of different occasions, Birthdays, Office Parties, College Balls, Charity events, Theme Nights and with a special emphasis on Weddings.

I'm not keen on this text.

Firstly, the word literally is used for a second time too quickly after it appears for the first time.

Secondly, I agree that the phrase "special emphasis on weddings" makes it sound like other occasions aren't treated with the same care.

Finally, you talk about having done discos for "literally hundreds of different occasions"...but ARE there hundreds of different occasions? I can't even think of 25, let alone hundreds.

:)

Goodfellows Discos
01-11-2009, 12:27 AM
Finally, you talk about having done discos for "literally hundreds of different occasions"...but ARE there hundreds of different occasions? I can't even think of 25, let alone hundreds.

18th Birthday, 19th Birthday, 20th Birthday*some time later*78th Birthday, 79th Birthday. Hey don't let me get started on all of these stupid years people decide to have wedding anniversaries on now days! :p

On Topic:

Your mailto on the contact form doesn't lead anywhere: correct link should be 'mailto:[email protected]'. I know i'm just picking on petty things here, but it's so much better to take note of them now instead of never noticing it.

Alex

Ryu
01-11-2009, 07:17 AM

I'm not keen on this text.

Firstly, the word literally is used for a second time too quickly after it appears for the first time.

Secondly, I agree that the phrase "special emphasis on weddings" makes it sound like other occasions aren't treated with the same care.

:)

I think its safe to say the opening paragraph could do with a rework :D

Thanks for the ongoing suggestions...Its all useful stuff.

Ryu
01-11-2009, 07:44 AM
There's a few more amendments made...Opening paragraph edited, Headers removed (Mr Site was being really annoying about making them white!)

Just wish I could space that contact form a little more uniform-ly.

rob1963
01-11-2009, 09:21 AM
18th Birthday, 19th Birthday, 20th Birthday*some time later*78th Birthday, 79th Birthday. Hey don't let me get started on all of these stupid years people decide to have wedding anniversaries on now days!

And how many of us have done discos for a 19th birthday party, a 20th birthday party, a 78th birthday party or a 79th birthday party?

I've been in this game for over 25 years, and would struggle to come up with 25 different occasions I've worked at, let alone hundreds, as stated on the website up for review.

:shrug:

Ryu
01-11-2009, 09:35 AM
And how many of us have done discos for a 19th birthday party, a 20th birthday party, a 78th birthday party or a 79th birthday party?

I've been in this game for over 25 years, and would struggle to come up with 25 different occasions I've worked at, let alone hundreds, as stated on the website up for review.

How's "Wide Range" instead of "Hundreds" :)

rob1963
01-11-2009, 10:33 AM
How's "Wide Range" instead of "Hundreds" :)

Much better! :thumbsup:

It's also a way of losing the second "literally" which appeared so soon after the first one (unless you've already changed this, of course).

I just think it's a bad idea to have things on websites which could easily come across as being an exaggeration of the truth, and which can't be proved if someone challenges you.

Goodfellows Discos
01-11-2009, 09:42 PM

Im not supporting the statement of hundreds of events, my comment was aimed to be a joke.

rob1963
01-11-2009, 11:09 PM
Im not supporting the statement of hundreds of events, my comment was aimed to be a joke.

Apologies for not appreciating that.

:o