PDA

View Full Version : is there a way of linking amps and getting double power

Rowleys
03-11-2009, 08:34 PM
i have always wondered if you can link 2 amp and get double power. Say i have 2 amp at 300 rms linking them and making then 600 rms.

Excalibur
03-11-2009, 08:36 PM
No. And then again yes. But I wouldn't do it personally.

Booche
03-11-2009, 08:37 PM
I used to link mine together but i read somewhere on the net that it could possibly overload as mine were getting very very warm when i linked them soon as i stopped this they became normal temp again :(

NKR
03-11-2009, 08:40 PM
I used to link mine together but i read somewhere on the net that it could possibly overload as mine were getting very very warm when i linked them soon as i stopped this they became normal temp again :(

You keep the gates of equipment heaven in business. In fact you cause congestion. :D

Rowleys
03-11-2009, 08:40 PM
please tell me how

Excalibur
03-11-2009, 08:44 PM
please tell me how

No. That way you still have two working amps, and possibly a few other things besides.

Rowleys
03-11-2009, 09:01 PM
ha ha is it really that bad could you not get more fans installed

or even water cool

Booche
03-11-2009, 09:03 PM
You keep the gates of equipment heaven in business. In fact you cause congestion. :D

:ner: :daft: :daft: :ner:

Tom
03-11-2009, 09:18 PM
I wouldn't even think about doing anything like this.

Either bridge each amp on it's own (check the amps manual to see if they are capable, would either be 4 or 8 ohms) or the better option would be to buy new amps.

DJ James Lake
03-11-2009, 09:25 PM
300 watts, what are you running headphones? :sofa:

I think you may have been misinformed somewhere along the lines, you can link inputs but you definetely cant link outputs.

What you are planning to do you need to run the amps in bridge mode and use one amp per speaker.

Rowleys
03-11-2009, 09:35 PM
lol i ent got 300 watt amp i was just saying that as the first number that come in to my head and also only have one main amp and a <forum censor activated - please edit your post><forum censor activated - please edit your post><forum censor activated - please edit your post><forum censor activated - please edit your post>ty backup amp. I was just wondering if you could that's all

discomobiledj
03-11-2009, 10:01 PM
lol i ent got 300 watt amp i was just saying that as the first number that come in to my head and also only have one main amp and a <forum censor activated - please edit your post><forum censor activated - please edit your post><forum censor activated - please edit your post><forum censor activated - please edit your post>ty backup amp. I was just wondering if you could that's all

That's what happens when you can't string a sentence together! :D

Excalibur
04-11-2009, 03:56 PM
That's what happens when you can't string a sentence together! :D

Not as bad as what may happen if he tries to string two amps together. ;)

discomobiledj
04-11-2009, 07:41 PM
Not as bad as what may happen if he tries to string two amps together. ;)

There won't be any :DJ: just :callumburns:

:rofl:

rob1963
04-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Surely you could just run one channel through each amp in bridged mode?

Excalibur
05-11-2009, 06:54 AM
Surely you could just run one channel through each amp in bridged mode?

You've been ringing your brother again for advice, haven't you? :D

rob1963
05-11-2009, 12:22 PM
You've been ringing your brother again for advice, haven't you? :D

:lol:

On this occasion, no.

Having read the instructions for my various amplifiers, I know about bridge mode & what it does, so it makes sense to use one amp for each channel.

That's certainly the way I'd do it, although I'm sure there are other ways I DON'T know about.

:shrug:

DJ Jules
05-11-2009, 12:55 PM

On this occasion, no.

Having read the instructions for my various amplifiers, I know about bridge mode & what it does, so it makes sense to use one amp for each channel.

That's certainly the way I'd do it, although I'm sure there are other ways I DON'T know about.

It depends on the amps and the speakers. If the speakers are 8ohm then running one amp bridged per speaker should work fine with no risk to the amps. If the speakers are 4ohm, then you need to check the manual for your amps carefully to check that they can run a 4ohm load bridged, because most amps can't. In fact, because we're talking about relatively small amps here, I'd guess that they definitely can't.

However, the original question was "Can I connect the outputs together to get more volume" and the answer to that is a definite no - because that is almost guaranteed to damage one or both of the amps.

Julian

Excalibur
05-11-2009, 04:48 PM

On this occasion, no.

That's showing rather a thirst for knowledge! Have you never heard the motto " When all else fails, read the instructions" ? :D :D :D

It depends on the amps and the speakers. If the speakers are 8ohm then running one amp bridged per speaker should work fine with no risk to the amps. If the speakers are 4ohm, then you need to check the manual for your amps carefully to check that they can run a 4ohm load bridged, because most amps can't. In fact, because we're talking about relatively small amps here, I'd guess that they definitely can't.

However, the original question was "Can I connect the outputs together to get more volume" and the answer to that is a definite no - because that is almost guaranteed to damage one or both of the amps.

Julian
Absolutely correct. :approve:

DiscoTed
11-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Dont try and connection two ampilifers together, run 2 seperate ampilifers for this job.

or run one big ampilifer and your speakers at 4ohms.

spin mobile disco
12-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Of course if you use one amp per channel it means you need another amp to use as backup as both your amps are in use. Bridge mode output is the only way to do it safely and only then if the speakers are 8 ohms each or the amps are capable of working down to 2 ohms.
Buy another amp it really comes down to that. Its easier its safer and in the long run im sure it would be more reliabel as bridge mode is not really ideal for long use situations.