PDA

View Full Version : Copyscape

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-05-2006, 11:08 PM
http://www.copyscape.com/

A very useful site to see if people have been nicking text from your site and using it for their own.

I found yet another person tonight, 'borrowing' text from mine. :mad:

Corabar Steve
25-05-2006, 11:09 PM
Shocking!

I hope you've had words with them.

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Shocking!

I hope you've had words with them.

Sent them an email.

Your home page is OK - I checked for you :teeth:

BeerFunk
25-05-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm sure someone posted this before...

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-05-2006, 11:12 PM
I'm sure someone posted this before...

Did a search and nothing came up.

Sorry if I was boring you.... :sad: :teeth:

Flex
25-05-2006, 11:13 PM
http://www.copyscape.com/

A very useful site to see if people have been nicking text from your site and using it for their own.

I found yet another person tonight, 'borrowing' text from mine. :mad:

Err yes absolutely shocking :embarasse

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-05-2006, 11:17 PM

It wasn't a dig Keith :)

Corabar Steve
25-05-2006, 11:17 PM
Sent them an email.

Your home page is OK - I checked for you :teeth:You can check other peoples sites as well then?

Corabar Entertainment
25-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Sent them an email.

Your home page is OK - I checked for you :teeth:Ta! - But, yes, someone did post this up recently and I did do a check then. (BTW, great minds think alike, 'cos I did a check on your home page for you as well!! :) )

A certain member of this site had 'borrowed' a few bits, but funnily enough it was altered within a day of the link being posted up on here! :omg:

Also found someone else had borrowed another page from the site and I sent them an email. They have responded with an apology and a promise to remove it by next week - his excuse was that he was dyslexic and not good at 'that sort of thing'. :omg: :omg:

Corabar Steve
25-05-2006, 11:18 PM
Caught red handed then? :teeth:

Corabar Entertainment
25-05-2006, 11:19 PM
You can check other peoples sites as well then?It doesn't check that you own the site - you just type in an URL and it checks for copies

Solitaire Events Ltd
25-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Caught red handed then? :teeth:

I have given Keith Royal approval to use what he has, don't worry. :)

Corabar Steve
Ta! - But, yes, someone did post this up recently and I did do a check then. (BTW, great minds think alike, 'cos I did a check on your home page for you as well!! :)

You can check other peoples sites as well then?
Doh! we really need to talk more :embarasse :embarasse

Flex
Sort of, we kissed and made up a while ago though.

Metaphorically speaking of course

RobK
27-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Yeah.. great site...!!

I recently found someone borrowing from my website.. they have made an attempt to change it (so I probably can't do anything about it...) but I can still tell that it's taken from my site.. I can tell because I used very specific wording at certain points in my FAQ some of which has ended up on HIS website, which I found through the directory on this forum. I even used the 'old' "Cheap entertainment is seldom good... quality entertainment is priceless" tagline at the end.. (which I don't claim to have written as it has been used on sooo many websites)... this other person did too in the same section of his FAQ. This member is fairly local to me so I'm hoping he does the decent thing and rethinks his FAQ... he WILL know who he is too.....

CRAZY K
27-05-2006, 11:06 AM
To be fair, do you think your competitor is actually gaining a commercial advantage taking work off you that otherwise you would have got?

Otherwise I would accept this as a compliment that people have to copy YOU because your site is so good and they dont have any good ideas of their own.

But I can understand its annoying--however copying seems to be a product of the Internet and its costly to start enforcing copyright I imagine--Wolfie will know!

By that I mean hiring a lawyer--GOOD MORNING £25 HOW ARE YOU ? £50
YOU HAVE A PROBLEM £75 WE CAN SORT THAT OUT £100 WE CHARGE ON A TIME BASIS AND THATS NOW ERRR £150 SO FAR :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

CRAZY K

Corabar Entertainment
27-05-2006, 11:15 AM
By that I mean hiring a lawyer--GOOD MORNING £25 HOW ARE YOU ? £50
YOU HAVE A PROBLEM £75 WE CAN SORT THAT OUT £100 WE CHARGE ON A TIME BASIS AND THATS NOW ERRR £150 SO FAR :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

CRAZY KOi! Do you mind - I was a property lawyer in a former life! :mad: :) :mad: :) :mad: :teeth:

Corabar Steve
28-05-2006, 11:01 AM
Oi! Do you mind - I was a property lawyer in a former life! :mad: :) :mad: :) :mad: :teeth:
Ah, but Alan was talking about copyright lawyers

katman
29-07-2011, 11:27 PM
WOW!!! What can I say.... I hadnt heard of Copyscape until I joined this forum but I just tried it on two of my websites.

One site came up with two sites it believed had copied text from my website. One of them was 5% and it may have been copied. The other came up as a 100% copy !!!

..... then again it should have.... it was a mirror of my website on my original BTInternet URL before I got a domain name.

My other website that I checked found a page which was a 69% copy.... again is was an old mirror on my BTInternet account from before the site was split into two domain names but I am just blown away by how quickly the results came back. :)

Andy Collins
30-07-2011, 05:15 PM
People are copying text frm websites all the time. Damm annoying!!

Digitalsounds
14-02-2012, 01:33 PM
Just used this after one was pointed out to me amazing

we put time, money and effott into what we do for other to copy and paste ,

I have sent the one i found a cease and disist email before i pass it to trading standards for investigation as they are now responisble for website's etc these days...

doubt much will happen though

marting
14-02-2012, 01:47 PM
from a different point of view i recently set up a new site using 1&1 have checked my site using copy scape and found 7 other sites using same generic wording where do i stand with this am i plagiarizing there web pages..

hammy
14-02-2012, 01:51 PM
from a different point of view i recently set up a new site using 1&1 have checked my site using copy scape and found 7 other sites using same generic wording where do i stand with this am i plagiarizing there web pages..

It was the same with my 1&1 website, Everytime I used copyscape I knew which ones that came up were 1&1 websites, Just change the wording a bit. My advice get rid of 1&1.

marting
14-02-2012, 02:02 PM
It was the same with my 1&1 website, Everytime I used copyscape I knew which ones that came up were 1&1 websites, Just change the wording a bit. My advice get rid of 1&1.

yes yours comes up as on of the examples which is why i went with them, Am still in my free month with them not too impressed but cant move my domain again for 60 days........

Marc J
14-02-2012, 02:10 PM
yes yours comes up as on of the examples which is why i went with them, Am still in my free month with them not too impressed but cant move my domain again for 60 days........

Even though you can't move a newly registered domain, you should be able to move the site elsewhere by changing the nameservers at 1&1.