PDA

View Full Version : Lex Lighting

DJ Jules
11-11-2009, 06:27 AM
A friend of mine has just bought a pair of these off eBay:

4 Head Laser (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-4-head-lens-350mw-DJ-laser-Light-Red-Green-VIDEO_W0QQitemZ220502894401QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C onElec_LightingLEDsStrobes_RL?hash=item3356ff2741# ht_1033wt_724).

Anyone ever come across Lex Lighting (http://www.lexlighting.co.uk) before?

Julian

Adam_F
11-11-2009, 10:31 AM

4 Head Laser (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-4-head-lens-350mw-DJ-laser-Light-Red-Green-VIDEO_W0QQitemZ220502894401QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C onElec_LightingLEDsStrobes_RL?hash=item3356ff2741# ht_1033wt_724).

Julian

Not personally, but looking at their site, they're just another importer of Chinese lighting.

DJ Jules
11-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Not personally, but looking at their site, they're just another importer of Chinese lighting.

That's about my take - I was just amazed at the range of new Prolight look a like gear they have on eBay (Triclops, Quadzilla, etc). It's either been copied very quickly, or it's all coming out of the same factory.

Julian

Vectis
11-11-2009, 01:29 PM
That's about my take - I was just amazed at the range of new Prolight look a like gear they have on eBay (Triclops, Quadzilla, etc). It's either been copied very quickly, or it's all coming out of the same factory.

Julian

:)

tc1ooo
11-11-2009, 07:59 PM

Julian

Well, they chose a bangin tune to show it off! :)

DiscoTed
18-11-2009, 02:06 PM

Julian

OEM products that prolight choose to badge up. Before ordering ask to look at certificates.

Starlight
11-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Just to elaborate on Ted's post, he means certificates on the important, major approvals on Lex's products. Every stage lighting distributor, their products have to be RoHS and CE approved. Without approvals, it's very very risky indeed and could get fined a substantial amount of money.

There's tons of stage lighting fixtures on eBay - laser projectors, moving heads and the like and there appears to be 1 or 2 sellers stating whether their products comply with major RoHS and CE approvals. I think people who buy lasers, LED etc from China via eBay to 'open their eyes' and to realise that the products need RoHS and CE in place.

You might save a few pound buying from the far east but their products may not be legal and not comply with the RoHS, IEC and CE standards.

Neil.

DJ Jules
11-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Just a quick update on this since Neil has bumped it up again. I've now seen the lasers that my friend bought and they're actually not bad fixtures from an output point of view - they produce pretty good effects. However, control via DMX is difficult (i.e you can control the actual laser positions/intensity, but not change programs, so you either need computer DMX control, or you're going to have to live with the built in sound to light) and the build quality isn't great (the brackets have been threaded on the wrong side, so when you screw the adjustment knobs in tight, you actually don't tighten up the brackets - so they've put a nut on the inside of the bracket to "solve" the problem!)

You get what you pays for...

Julian

Starlight
13-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Just a quick update on this since Neil has bumped it up again. I've now seen the lasers that my friend bought and they're actually not bad fixtures from an output point of view - they produce pretty good effects. However, control via DMX is difficult (i.e you can control the actual laser positions/intensity, but not change programs, so you either need computer DMX control, or you're going to have to live with the built in sound to light) and the build quality isn't great (the brackets have been threaded on the wrong side, so when you screw the adjustment knobs in tight, you actually don't tighten up the brackets - so they've put a nut on the inside of the bracket to "solve" the problem!)

You get what you pays for...

Julian
Good call Jules!

Sure, you do get what you pay for. It's better to buy from your local disco shop because at the end of the day, you can see exactly what you are buying, inspect the goods before you take them away so that if there is any defects to the gear, you can swap it for another 1, simples! And, if the gear goes faulty, you simply return it to the retailer and they'll either send it back to the distributor or fix it themselves. If, on the other hand you buy gear from abroad, not only do you not get to check out the product(s) before you buy but also if the product goes faulty, the shipping cost will usually cost you quite a considerable amount of money. With distributors here in the UK, they'll carry many pare parts and if the retailer has the facilities to fix gear, the distributor will post the parts or the retailer will ship the faulty goods to the distributor to fix.

Neil.

Dj_Sam_E
03-01-2010, 06:06 PM
I have brought two of the 3 mirror lights and a 4 head laser from my local dj store, They had them next to the prolight units and have a very similar output. Infact they looked identical!

But the Lex lights were alot less than the prolight as i were told they were a new company. All of the lights have CE stamp etc and i have been told they have a full 12 month guarantee.

So i think all you are paying extra for is the fact alot of people know prolight as a brand. I will get some pictures of them working on my next disco. Very happy!

DJ Jules
03-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Infact they looked identical!

As I've stated in a previous post, they may look identical on the surface, but I believe they may still be ironing out some problems with their manufacturing processes... But having said that, the latest Prolight fixtures seem to have had their own share of problems too.

Julian

thegirth
06-01-2010, 06:35 AM
Hi Guys,i bought 3 lights off ebay before christmas and there great.
I bought a Quadlex,Lexbar and a Equinox style one,they had them in my local shop and when put against the Prolight/Kam ones it well out done them,ok they might be cheaply made but i also got a year guarantee with them so what more could you ask for.
At weekend im getting another double (Twinlex)..
I will send photos of Saturdays gig.

intensesound
03-02-2010, 01:39 PM
hi guys i have bought a set of 4 lex led heads and animation laser of eBay great product at a great price would highly recommend there products.

Corabar Entertainment
03-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Hi there! You might want to pop on over to the 'Newbies' forum and introduce yourself to the other members :D

BusterDisco
28-02-2011, 11:58 PM
http://www.companiesintheuk.co.uk/ltd/lex-lighting

looks like thire in a bit of trouble?

TONYTIGER
01-03-2011, 05:49 PM
I have to say if you buy these type of Chinese imports be prepared to bin them when they go wrong ,the guarantee is not worth the paper they are written on there is no dealer support and parts are not available ,even when you open them up for repair none of the chips are marked for replacement.

Also with the trend of people buying from unknown outlets soon there will be no local Disco shops left and even now there are very few places to get items repaired,support your local dealer or he will soon vanish.

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-03-2011, 06:37 PM
I have to say if you buy these type of Chinese imports be prepared to bin them when they go wrong ,the guarantee is not worth the paper they are written on there is no dealer support and parts are not available ,even when you open them up for repair none of the chips are marked for replacement.

Also with the trend of people buying from unknown outlets soon there will be no local Disco shops left and even now there are very few places to get items repaired,support your local dealer or he will soon vanish.

These Chinese imports as you call then are no different to what ADJ or Prolight are distributing surely?

The moving heads that you are selling me are made in China and yet you say they are very well made. Loads of products that are made in China are shipped out and just have different labels on them.

Or are you talking about something specifically?

TONYTIGER
01-03-2011, 06:54 PM
These Chinese imports as you call then are no different to what ADJ or Prolight are distributing surely?

The moving heads that you are selling me are made in China and yet you say they are very well made. Loads of products that are made in China are shipped out and just have different labels on them.

Or are you talking about something specifically?

Again it is all about dealer support getting Prolight or ADJ repaired or fixed because they are companies that are in it for the long haul and parts are available,also when you need a repair by a technician the parts on the boards are easy to obtain.
Re your moving heads Andy the guy i use for repairs said when he serviced them well made with standard chips and pro parts all available in the UK.
What seems to be happening of late is anybody can ship a container and sell lights from there garage no dealer support no spares no investment.

Solitaire Events Ltd
01-03-2011, 07:11 PM
Again it is all about dealer support getting Prolight or ADJ repaired or fixed because they are companies that are in it for the long haul and parts are available,also when you need a repair by a technician the parts on the boards are easy to obtain.
Re your moving heads Andy the guy i use for repairs said when he serviced them well made with standard chips and pro parts all available in the UK.
What seems to be happening of late is anybody can ship a container and sell lights from there garage no dealer support no spares no investment.

Fair enough - I thought you were saying that everything built in China was rubbish!

TONYTIGER
01-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Fair enough - I thought you were saying that everything built in China was rubbish!

Thats why i always buy from Batmink and have done for over 30 years ,they can repair anything they sell,peace of mind.

DAVESOUNDS SERVICES
01-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Before Xmas I bought 2 Lex -Twin thingsoff ebay!
took a month to arrive and BOTH were faulty LEDS
so made one good un and binned the rest.
The seller was fine (only paid for one in the end)
serves me right for buying off Flea-Buy!
Cheers

as an aside the ,most reliable LED lights ive used
have been Acme ( i think ) Impossibleds
45 fitted ONE failed Power supply
(Sent it back to CPC they put a new one in)
sent via pubs wi-fi