PDA

View Full Version : bose 802 and the likes

DiscoTed
15-11-2009, 09:55 PM
Something which i havent been able to get my head round for ages is why do bose use lots of smaller speakers in their speakers :confused:

Do they go by the saying SIZE doesnt matter :D

ted

CRAZY K
15-11-2009, 10:29 PM
Something which i havent been able to get my head round for ages is why do bose use lots of smaller speakers in their speakers :confused:

ted

Because it works ( apparently) ;)

You would need the bass bins though I reckon---about 2 a side at least from what I heard using a Bose set up with Clive.

At the Music Live Show at the NEC last week--they actually used 4 a side which sounded good---expensive hobby though:D

CRAZY K

Jiggles
15-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Something to do with a line array.

Excalibur
15-11-2009, 10:45 PM

ted

Line array principle. Wave reinforcement, rather than interference. That's the simple answer, A1's the man for the complicated answer. :D

As for subs Alan, I had an interesting chat with a Bose person at a DJ show. It made me smile. :D

Callum, sorry mate, you type faster than an old bloke like me.

Danno13
15-11-2009, 10:48 PM
They use them because they avoid the harshness that you get with horns or compression drivers. None of their systems using small drivers are meant for serious bass reproduction, so the size of the driver isn't important at all.

DiscoTed
15-11-2009, 10:51 PM
Line array principle. Wave reinforcement, rather than interference. That's the simple answer, A1's the man for the complicated answer. :D

As for subs Alan, I had an interesting chat with a Bose person at a DJ show. It made me smile. :D

Callum, sorry mate, you type faster than an old bloke like me.

Where is this A1 fella ?:D Am sure he can tell us all. ted

Excalibur
15-11-2009, 10:57 PM
Where is this A1 fella ?:D Am sure he can tell us all. ted

You've met him already. TonyA1DL. Clever Lad. ;) Rate him highly.

A1DL
15-11-2009, 10:58 PM
The 802 is a 30+ year old design and throughout the 80s and early 90s they were the industry standard conference loudspeaker.

They are still a pretty good box for low level BGM and vocal use, indoor and close range.

Size does matter however and this is reflected in their low sensitivity (92db 1w/1m full range)

The "mandatory" system controller also does some heavy processing (+14dB @ 60hz and +19dB @ 11khz) which is why they sound awful if played flat, without any processing.

I believe they are now discontinued (although I may be wrong on that), the only negative I would stress is they don't justify their (new) price. When you've bought the controller and amplification, a pair of E3s & EPAC/D6 doesn't cost a huge amount more but are a hundred times better in every conceivable way.

A1DL
15-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Clever Lad. ;) :Embarassed:

CRAZY K
15-11-2009, 11:07 PM
[QUOTE=Excalibur;391654]

Why?

CRAZY K

DiscoTed
16-11-2009, 10:07 AM
As for subs Alan, I had an interesting chat with a Bose person at a DJ show. It made me smile. :D.

Care to share ?

1st Choice Karaoke
16-11-2009, 06:22 PM
[QUOTE=A1DL;391667]
The "mandatory" system controller also does some heavy processing (+14dB @ 60hz and +19dB @ 11khz) which is why they sound awful if played flat, without any processing.
QUOTE]

I used a pair of these for years without the BOSE controller for small karaoke gigs. I used one of the old active "Studiomaster" mixers, with a little tweaking, they sounded awesome. :)

Excalibur
16-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Care to share ?

Basically, you don't have to run Bose subs with Bose tops. ;) :eek: You can use stonking great active subs for the thud thud, while letting the drainpipes do the twiddly bits. ;) :D Defeats the object of having a Bose system, in my opinion, but hey ho.

A1DL
16-11-2009, 06:33 PM

I used a pair of these for years without the BOSE controller for small karaoke gigs. I used one of the old active "Studiomaster" mixers, with a little tweaking, they sounded awesome. :)

I can't say I've ever heard 802s sound "awesome", however I have seen & heard 802s running quite successfully with other controllers.

DJMaxG
21-11-2009, 09:38 AM
They are also that size to prevent feedback, and apparently (according to Mackie / DJ Kit) :

- Using several smaller drivers will offer you more bass than one big one

Twinspin
13-12-2009, 12:25 AM
I really like the Bose 802's I used them from time to time at the hotel i worked at they had 4x of them. They sounded fantastic. I used the installed 802 system sometimes for weddings.

used with a system controller as well.

DJMaxG
13-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Tony originally said (in a previous thread) that they were designed for chillout areas, bars etc, not as main PA.

My local pub has a system which looks like the Bose (not quite 802), and I have found out that they do sub woofers, as it seems :approve:

View (http://www.xdj.com.au/Bose%20302%27s%20&%20802%27s.jpg)

Squelch
10-01-2010, 11:04 PM
I really like the Bose 802's I used them from time to time at the hotel i worked at they had 4x of them. They sounded fantastic. I used the installed 802 system sometimes for weddings.

used with a system controller as well.

I agree 802s sound great with the Bose controller and even better with a pair of 803s aswell

visualdjmax
10-01-2010, 11:45 PM
I have got a couple of Bose 802's controllers if anybody is interested?