PDA

View Full Version : My new website - your opinions please.

JDB Entertainment
17-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Okay I recently worked on a new website that I got some advice on by people off here.

I have now fully completed it and would appreciate as much input positive and negative from you guys and girls.

The Website: http://www.dj-hire-birmingham.co.uk

Please can you look on it from a Customers Point of View.

I must say, that I am currently working on a seperate website, which will be more aimed towards the Wedding Sector.

I would be interested in your views on the following:

What sort of customer/functions do you feel my website will attract?

Is it easy to naviagate around?

Would a customer want to know anything else? And if so what?

Thanks in advance.

James

Vectis
17-11-2009, 03:51 PM
Well the index page contains two errors and, with all its component parts soaks up close on 1.5MB of bandwidth :eek:

Error=Missing file, reported twice:
http://www.dj-hire-birmingham.co.uk/_app/15244/en/sharedmedia/images/4528572447.swf

Didn't get much further... sorry. It's far too busy. Way too much dependence on JS and Flash (which, believe me, many folks using managed systems won't be able to view). A quick look at the source and I see stacks of CSS that could go in an external file (especially if it appears on other pages). Also, meta description = meta keywords (not a great idea) AND the text used in the meta fields is too repetitive.

Richie
17-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Nice site and love the private reg on the van :)

JDB Entertainment
17-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Well the index page contains two errors and, with all its component parts soaks up close on 1.5MB of bandwidth :eek:

Error=Missing file, reported twice:
http://www.dj-hire-birmingham.co.uk/_app/15244/en/sharedmedia/images/4528572447.swf

Didn't get much further... sorry. It's far too busy. Way too much dependence on JS and Flash (which, believe me, many folks using managed systems won't be able to view). A quick look at the source and I see stacks of CSS that could go in an external file (especially if it appears on other pages). Also, meta description = meta keywords (not a great idea) AND the text used in the meta fields is too repetitive.

Thanks Vectis,

How can I solve the errors in the index?

And how do I put the CSS in an external file?

With regards to meta description and keywords, etc. what would you suggest?

Many Thanks in advance

James

JDB Entertainment
17-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Nice site and love the private reg on the van :)

Cheers Richie.

If you have the time could you answer my original questions in the OP?

James

Marc J
17-11-2009, 04:21 PM
I'll agree with VV, too much flash. Too bloated and too samey.

How can I solve the errors in the index?

And how do I put the CSS in an external file?

I think you'll find that, since it's a MoonFruit / WebEden / SiteMaker type deal you won't have much control over certain elements.

Think hard about the Flash issue. Download and install Toggle Flash (http://flash.melameth.com/togflash.html), this will let you see how anyone with flash disabled (a lot of workplaces) will see your site.

Annoyingly the scroll wheel on my mouse only works when over the background, within the main content it doesn't scroll.

Assuming a visitor has Flash enabled and sees it as you intended, then it's "better than the average" amongst DJ sites I've seen, with a lot of information well presented. Nothing startling and nothing different, I'm afraid.

Sorry if this doesn't actually answer your individual questions, but it is feedback so not off topic too much!

DJWilson
17-11-2009, 04:37 PM
Your inviting people to steal your images... When i clicked on the images on index to zoom it offered "download file" :O Might want changing mate.

JDB Entertainment
17-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Your inviting people to steal your images... When i clicked on the images on index to zoom it offered "download file" :O Might want changing mate.

All sorted thanks. :)

JDB Entertainment
17-11-2009, 06:28 PM
I'll agree with VV, too much flash. Too bloated and too samey.

I think you'll find that, since it's a MoonFruit / WebEden / SiteMaker type deal you won't have much control over certain elements.

Think hard about the Flash issue. Download and install Toggle Flash (http://flash.melameth.com/togflash.html), this will let you see how anyone with flash disabled (a lot of workplaces) will see your site.

Annoyingly the scroll wheel on my mouse only works when over the background, within the main content it doesn't scroll.

Assuming a visitor has Flash enabled and sees it as you intended, then it's "better than the average" amongst DJ sites I've seen, with a lot of information well presented. Nothing startling and nothing different, I'm afraid.

Sorry if this doesn't actually answer your individual questions, but it is feedback so not off topic too much!

Thanks Marc, I have the option to view in a html version, just need to work out how things show in an order in the HTML Version. Then it wouldn't look too bad in my opinion.

Do you think there is too much information?

What could I possibly do to make it "different" in your opinion?

Charlie Brown
17-11-2009, 06:33 PM
Terrible.

;)

JDB Entertainment
17-11-2009, 07:33 PM
Terrible.

;)

Charlie, could you take the time to answer a few of my original questions in my OP?

Would appreciate it.

yourdj
18-11-2009, 07:29 AM
Good site. Not too much scrolling. i would book you. :)

i would say it would attract the private function end and more social club/pub function room type gigs? the front page has macarena which is not everone cup of tea :confused:

I would simplify the front page to one piece of text as its a bit confusing. put in some really pretty pics of the lighting ad you djing. put all the other stuff like testimonial in a separate link.

the lighting pics are great - i would take them and make a seperate wedding site with some wedding pics and pics of you djing.

The picture of you in a suite looks like a mobile phone sales man in a bedroom. You look like your trying to be alan sugar or something? Do not mean to insult you, thats just my impression. If you looked ten or twenty years older you would pull it off. I fall fowl of that too (still get id in tesco).

get some good pics of you djing as thats what you do best :) Might look better a bit more relaxed (loose the massive tie) with you smiling? After all you should look fun, friendly.

Hope that helps :D

servoskull
22-11-2009, 03:39 PM
Bit too cluttered, and layout needs sorting. Try and deviate from the templates as much as possible, make your site individual. Less is more.

Sitemaker is a brilliant tool, and you can do loads with the sites.

This is our working progress, www.blackgatepromotions.co.uk.