PDA

View Full Version : Sensitivity Switch

Disco Leisure UK
18-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Hi guys, Just picked up a stageline STA1100 amp as a back up, I tested it out at a family gig over the weekend and found that the sound was pretty rough, top end heavy and microphone distortion so I swapped amps over at buffet time and the sound was perfect all night. Back at home I noticed at the back of the STA1100 amp there is a sensitivity switch showing: 1.0v, 1.6v and 3.2v, on selecting different positions have noticed that the sound goes from loud (1.0v) to low (3.2v). Could this be the cause of the sound distortion? and what setting should it be set at? I have contacted Monacor the manufacturer but cannot get a response....cheers

Vectis
18-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Well in a nutshell it needs to match the output of your mixer. Get the spec sheet out for your mixer and have a look-see ;)

djtuffer
18-11-2009, 08:46 PM
1.6v should be safe. Most mixers output about 1.4v when you hit the 0db light.

A1DL
18-11-2009, 09:28 PM
the 1.0v setting will be best suited to most DJ mixers
1.0v is referenced to 0dBV

DiscoTed
18-11-2009, 10:03 PM

Tony, Just as a matter of ref what would the other settings be suitable for, ie mixer wise.

P.S Where have you learnt all this tech stuff :D

A1DL
18-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Tony, Just as a matter of ref what would the other settings be suitable for, ie mixer wise.

0.775v is the 0dBU reference and 1.0v is 0dBV reference - both commonly known as "line level" inputs.

The 0dB reference is used in setting gain structure throughout a system, to maintain an optimum quality undistorted signal throughout all components in the signal chain.

P.S Where have you learnt all this tech stuff :D

Mostly "on the job" experience coupled with some study/experimentation with topics that are new to me... I'm not that good though! Whilst I guess I'm reasonable on most analogue sound and power related topics, an average six year old is probably better at the computer side of things! My computer knowledge as far as music is concerned is limited to connecting DJs laptops to serato boxes and if you asked me to download a tune I wouldn't have a clue where to start. I've managed to avoid digital mixers to date, although I guess the time will come where this old dinosaur has to change on that particular point!:(

DiscoTed
18-11-2009, 11:00 PM
0.775v is the 0dBU reference and 1.0v is 0dBV reference - both commonly known as "line level" inputs.

The 0dB reference is used in setting gain structure throughout a system, to maintain an optimum quality undistorted signal throughout all components in the signal chain.

Mostly "on the job" experience coupled with some study/experimentation with topics that are new to me... I'm not that good though! Whilst I guess I'm reasonable on most analogue sound and power related topics, an average six year old is probably better at the computer side of things! My computer knowledge as far as music is concerned is limited to connecting DJs laptops to serato boxes and if you asked me to download a tune I wouldn't have a clue where to start. I've managed to avoid digital mixers to date, although I guess the time will come where this old dinosaur has to change on that particular point!:(

Sorry to take this off topic, But your still using CD's and not even considerd using a software based system ?

A1DL
18-11-2009, 11:37 PM
Sorry to take this off topic, But your still using CD's and not even considerd using a software based system ?

:confused: what for, Ted ?

Excalibur
18-11-2009, 11:42 PM
:confused: what for, Ted ?

Cos at my age, I forgot where the CD's were. :o :o :o :o

A1DL
18-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Cos at my age, I forgot where the CD's were. :o :o :o :o

Don't worry, that's not age related, Peter. Acts of all ages lose them regularly. The CD will be loose minus case in a handbag or holdall, scratched and sticky with crumbs attached to it. And it will be my fault if it doesn't play.

Disco Leisure UK
19-11-2009, 01:46 AM
Well in a nutshell it needs to match the output of your mixer. Get the spec sheet out for your mixer and have a look-see ;)

Cheers vectis..will dig out the sheet....:)

The switch was already set to 1.0v and sounded terrible, speakers sounded like tin cans!!.....:D