PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed On A Website

JTRS
23-11-2009, 10:10 PM
I've so far not got round to having a website because I'm relatively new to DJing, but from what I've read in quite a few threads I've decided that I really ought to have a website, but I've got no idea on what's involved or what's reasonable cost wise.

I don't want to approach any website firms until I have an idea of what's reasonable and what's not.

My initial thoughts would be to go for a 4 - 6 page 'brochure site' (I'm not looking for suggestions as to content as I've already decided that based on what I've seen on other DJ's websites), but what I would appreciate is any pointers regarding what a reasonable cost would be and who would put it together, and more importantly how I alter the content without having to go through the web designers (if that's possible).

Thanks in advance

JTRS

Dynamic Entertainment
23-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Contact Marc J. He done mine using CMS so the basics are already there, and i log into and admin panel to make changes and and/remove pages as i see fit.

rob1963
23-11-2009, 11:21 PM
Contact Marc J.

:agree:

Excalibur
24-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Marc is the man to ask.

JTRS
24-11-2009, 10:56 AM
I wasn't actually asking for details of a website designer, I was more after comments and advice from DJ's who don't have a vested interest in their answers.

I'll ask the DJ's at the NADJ meeting tomorrow night and see what they can tell me

JTRS

Vectis
24-11-2009, 11:09 AM
I wasn't actually asking for details of a website designer, I was more after comments and advice from DJ's who don't have a vested interest in their answers.

Huh? :confused:

The way I remember it, you asked:

what I would appreciate is any pointers regarding what a reasonable cost would be and who would put it together, and more importantly how I alter the content without having to go through the web designers (if that's possible).

To which Dynamic Steve wrote:

Contact Marc J. He done mine using CMS so the basics are already there, and i log into and admin panel to make changes and and/remove pages as i see fit.

which I thought answered your OP very well.

Anyway, if you need any conceptual or design help, feel free to give me a nudge. My website front page, right hand option of the three gives some flavour of what I do.

JTRS
24-11-2009, 12:05 PM
Sorry, perhaps I should have spelt it out more clearly

The advice/answers I was looking for was

A brochure site would cost between x and y, hosting would cost a further x - y

The website designer/you (delete as appropriate) would put the site together based on content/photo's you provide

The website/designer/you (delete as appropriate) would be responsible for altering the content. (Thanks to the post by Dynamic at least I now have the answer to this question).

I'll ask at tomorrow nights meeting and get the other answers

JTRS

soundtracker
24-11-2009, 12:11 PM
Sorry, perhaps I should have spelt it out more clearly

The advice/answers I was looking for was

A brochure site would cost between x and y, hosting would cost a further x - y

The website designer/you (delete as appropriate) would put the site together based on content/photo's you provide

The website/designer/you (delete as appropriate) would be responsible for altering the content. (Thanks to the post by Dynamic at least I now have the answer to this question).

I'll ask at tomorrow nights meeting and get the other answers

JTRS

I think perhaps that you should have! The replies given to the question asked were fine, unfortunately being psychic isn't a quality required by most DJs, with that attitude, most people won't bother responding to you.

JTRS
24-11-2009, 12:15 PM
I think perhaps that you should have! The replies given to the question asked were fine, unfortunately being psychic isn't a quality required by most DJs, with that attitude, most people won't bother responding to you.

With respect and NOT wanting to pick an argument my OP stated

My initial thoughts would be to go for a 4 - 6 page 'brochure site' (I'm not looking for suggestions as to content as I've already decided that based on what I've seen on other DJ's websites), but what I would appreciate is any pointers regarding what a reasonable cost would be and who would put it together, and more importantly how I alter the content without having to go through the web designers (if that's possible).

You don't have to be psychic or a genius (although the ability to read and understand what is been asked would help) to figure out from that I was looking for someone to say a reasonable cost would be x etc.

JTRS

soundtracker
24-11-2009, 12:20 PM
which you then qualified by adding "more importantly" changing the emphasis - this was dealt with quite well.

JTRS
24-11-2009, 12:24 PM
which you then qualified by adding "more importantly" changing the emphasis - this was dealt with quite well.

Excuse me but I never added anything or edited my OP

The words 'more importantly' were said at the time I wrote the first post, it has NEVER been edited, so the emphasis has never changed.

JTRS

soundtracker
24-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Excuse me but I never added anything or edited my OP

The words 'more importantly' were said at the time I wrote the first post, it has NEVER been edited, so the emphasis has never changed.

JTRS

who said that it had?? You posed an initial question, and then added(in other words, followed later in your post) "more importantly" suggesting to me that the second part of your post was indeed more important. Now get off your high horse.

JTRS
24-11-2009, 12:35 PM
I am not on a high horse, I just don't like been accused of something that I haven't done!

You are suggesting that I added the words 'more importantly' and thus changed the emphasis.

You are wrong, I never added the words 'more importantly' those words were said in my OP, which if you look at you will notice has never been edited so they couldn't have been as you suggest 'added'

If you re-read the OP you will see that the words 'more importantly' are said there, which was what I quoted later on.

If it's too much to ask DJ's here to give me an idea on what a reasonable cost of a website is, then I'm sorry I asked in the first place.

JTRS

soundtracker
24-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Now re-read what I just said. I am not accusing you of adding anything additional to your original post. I am saying that after the initial question in your post, you followed up by using the words "more importantly" which suggests that you placed greater credence on that part of the enquiry - this is what has lead to people answering the second part of the question, rather than the first part.

Dynamic Entertainment
24-11-2009, 01:39 PM
With regards to cost etc etc...again...contact marc J :p The best peron to help you with a website and the associated costs is a web designer. For the most part us djs would be spouting in the wind with opinions and not fact :)

JTRS
24-11-2009, 01:53 PM
With regards to cost etc etc...again...contact marc J :p The best peron to help you with a website and the associated costs is a web designer. For the most part us djs would be spouting in the wind with opinions and not fact :)

I was actually after an idea of costs before I approached a designer. The reason behind that is if it's cost prohibitive then it's not worth wasting their time or mine.

I would have assumed that if DJ's had websites, they would have paid for those websites and by saying what they had paid then they would be talking fact as opposed to just spouting in the wind.

I assumed it was a bit like a customer looking for a DJ, where they ask other people who have hired a DJ how much the DJ cost, they then end up with an idea of prices from people who have used a DJ and when they ask a DJ for a price they know if it's reasonable.

I'll leave it here because it's getting like pulling teeth and I'll ask the DJ's at tomorrow's meeting how much they paid for their websites.

JTRS

Solitaire Events Ltd
24-11-2009, 02:19 PM
I'll close the thread as we are obviously too thick to interpret what some are saying and of no use whatsoever.

I really don't know why people bother trying to help on here sometimes.