PDA

View Full Version : Domain name re direction

charlie
24-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Hey up!

I was hoping one of the internet wizards on here would be able to help.

Im currently building a new brand for my company to launch next year and this will include a new website and domain name.

I want to know if i can do it so that if my old website is put in www.neonnightsdisco.co.uk it will direct to the new site?

Can this be done easily or will it cause issues and cost alot?!

Thanks

DJWilson
24-11-2009, 04:04 PM
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title>Your Page Title</title>
<meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="0;url=http://www.the-domain-you-want-to-redirect-to.com"></HEAD>
<BODY>
Optional page text here.
</BODY>
</HTML>

There you go, put that code into your site index and set it to redirect to your new one.

discomobiledj
24-11-2009, 04:14 PM
I would advise doing a 301 redirect which will keep your listings and associated links up with the search engines.

1. Locate or create a .htaccess file on your server. Your .htaccess file gives search engine robots instructions on security and redirects.

2. If you don't have an .htaccess file on your server, you can easily create one using a text file. Name it ".htaccess"

3. If there is already an .htaccess file scroll down past the code that is already there and begin your new redirect instructions.

4. Put in your redirect information, which should look like this:

redirect 301 /directory/file.html http://www.domainame.com/directory/file.html

*Note: The first part "/directory/file.html" is the location of the file being moved and the second part "http://www.domainame.com/directory/file.html" is where the file is being moved.

5. Upload the file to your server.

Avoid using a meta refresh tag as this is a technique used by search engine spammers to rank well for certain keyphrases that are totally irrelevant from the page redirected to. Many search engines filter out the meta refresh tag, so it is not a search engine friendly option.

charlie
24-11-2009, 04:15 PM
you have lost me already! any chance of an idiots guide?!

DJ Frankie
24-11-2009, 04:15 PM
On my control panel of my hosting company they allow me to have free web redirection it is normally called Redirect (Masked), which basically directs all traffic from my old website to a new site and also shows the new site name in the web browser. Check to see if they can do so with yours before trying the above as its very easy to do.

Marc J
24-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Park the old domain on the new hosting account. Job done.

If you wanted to do 301 redirects via htaccess you would then do this only on your new hosting account. End result being you don't have to keep your old site live just to do the redirecting :)

charlie
24-11-2009, 04:26 PM
ok how about.....

......i could pay someone to sort it our for my if i gave them the information they needed?

It wouldnt be until jan next year

any takers?

Marc J
24-11-2009, 04:33 PM
If you're sticking with Vistaprint it might not be that straightforward, I don't know their system (and have no wish to).

If you're on a "normal" host (linux) I'll do it for you for free.

charlie
24-11-2009, 04:35 PM
thats brilliant marc, Im not staying with vistaprint.

I may be going onto webeden.

Would that be ok?

Marc J
24-11-2009, 04:40 PM
thats brilliant marc, Im not staying with vistaprint.

I may be going onto webeden.

Would that be ok?

No. If it could get worse than Vistaprint, it just did. I mean a proper hosting account, with full FTP control and a full control panel...something which will give you complete control over your site.

charlie
24-11-2009, 04:42 PM
o rite ermm ok!

Are there any that have easy editors etc? As im not too hot with html

Marc J
25-11-2009, 07:05 AM
Are there any that have easy editors etc? As im not too hot with html

If you want an online website creator then there will always be restrictions in the control you have over your own site. I'm not the best person to ask for recommendations on these, as I generally advise against their use.

There are plenty free HTML editing packages available (Nvufor example), and plenty of free templates available. If you really want to do your own site then my advice would be to download these, create your site offline, get proper hosting and upload it ;)

charlie
25-11-2009, 09:30 AM
thats great marc, thank you for your advice, i will look into it :)