PDA

View Full Version : Marquees, extension cables, and numpties.

Excalibur
29-11-2009, 12:52 PM
And I've seen plenty of all three. :( Our younger readers may be confused when I refer to sockets with funny current ratings, and round pins. Sorry about that, but they still exist even nowadays, partly cos they've got a couple of bonuses which I can't refer to on here. ;) Until recently I always carried a 15a round pin tio 13a converter. Got me out of a lot of scrapes.

Right here goes, no particular order. May post others as I remember them.
Many of the problems encountered with Electrickery result from working in esoteric, unusual, and different ( ie free :D ) venues. :D

Local farm, off to a bad start, cos he screwed me down to the floor on price, cos "it's for Charidee". Then he asked if Jeanette would like to come, and charged her for a ticket. Anyway, I arrive, there's a band, a mobile self contained outside bar, and me. I'm offered a cable, and I take it. Then it gets dark, and the bar wants some of my 240v. So be it. Evening starts, jolly good fun, band doing first set, and all PA goes down, just backline and a light or two left. Me and the bar are dead in the water. Oh great. :( Some band members wander off thinking the fault's in their kit. As usual, everybody asks the DJ to sort it. Yeah right, we're all electrical engineers, carrying miles of cable and plugs capable of coping with everything, aren't we? So I walk across to the band, and say
"How's about plugging me and the band into the power you have, so we can restart? "
" Yeah but what if it blows the fuse"?
"Well we've got no music, no bar, and no lights now, so how would that be worse? ":confused: :D :D
"OK, let's try it"
So we finish the night thus, half the band are not happy bunnies, cos they can't have their cables back till I finish. ( Tee hee. ) I finish, they unplug their cables, and I'm packing up in Stygian darkness. Whoopee. At least the git of an organiser gave me full fee and a bottle of wine. :D

Hotel gets two new warming trolleys, each with two 13a plugs fitted. No probs, let's just plug them both into a 4way. Result, one melted 4way, and cold warming trolleys. Hey ho. :(

Couple from way back, first one in a Potato Chitting House ( yes it's spelt right. ;) ) Upstairs is fitted with loads of 5a sockets. We've got an adaptor for that, no probs. Until I turn on my lights. My lights don't flash at all, the house lights try to do what mine should, and the decks drop to 50% speed!!!!!! To this day, I have no idea of the cause. Solution? Cut a hole in the floor, drop a cable downstairs into a ring main, with 15a sockets, sorted. :D
Marquee hundreds of yards from the supply. Many many light duty extension cables. Eek! I get set up, and am looking down at some cables, when I realise the shadows on the wall are out of sync. Every time my lights flash, the chandeliers go dim! Oh crap. Set the lights to slow fade, and bin the spots. We made it to the end successfully, amazingly.

Young Farmers Gala Ball. Posh Marquee,( DJ wearing jeans and T-shirt, nobody told me it was a posh do. I expected a mucky barn. :o :o ) Huge Showband, absolutely excellent act. Sadly, the marquee erectors had not let the venue owner sort out the power. Three phases, he wanted to group eveything methodically and sensibly. Oh no, " we know what we're doing, we do this all the time". Morons. :bang: You've seen those puzzles where you've got to follow a tangle of intertwined lines back to source, haven't you? That's what we were up against. My power came from the band. After the third powercut, they said "We'll cut you off, cos you're taking too much power". One CD player, and a desk light, yeah right. They reconnected me during their last song of each set. Think we lost power about eight times before we finished.

Marquee with catering ovens. Alarm bells ringing. ;) " No probs mate, all professionally fitted, about a gazillion amps available, bombproof" It was during the backgrounf bit. I switched the first set of lights on, and: one out, all out. Somethging was re-routed, and no further issues.

Marquee in the lovely grounds of my local Golf Club. Morning of the wedding, and it's in the centre of a lake! One frantic pumping exercise later, and it's above the tideline. I go to set up, and as always" take the high ground". No, that's for the band. Oh goody. I'm in the pond in the corner. Only time I've actually been frightened, cos I'm actually standing in water by the end of the night! Thank the Lord for RCD's, eh?

One I've refrained from telling up to now, but I think I can legitimately put it in here. Marquee wedding, two separate supplies, loads of amps, no worries. We get the rig set up, tested, and left it on tickover, while we go and give the caterers a hand. Funnily enough, the power's gone off at their end. After a bit of investigation, we notice it's also gone off at my end. Drag owner out of house, and search for fault. Ring main trip switch in garage refusing to hold, so a chain of voices is formed, and all unplugged so it will reset. Caterer says " It can't be my gear, cos it was all PAT tested yesterday". Famous last words. One of the hostess trolleys has an earth fault presumably, and kicks the trip out either in the garage, or even worse the house sometimes. Two hours it takes us to find the offending one by elimination, as each time we get it wrong, we lose power, and have a trek to reset it. Also, there's six folk involved, so you know how that helps. Eventually we bin the dodgy one, and the owner actually has an identical one in the house, which he lends to the caterers.

More later, if any more neurones fire up.

CRAZY K
29-11-2009, 01:39 PM
And I've seen plenty of all three. :( Our younger readers may be confused when I refer to sockets with funny current ratings, and round pins. Sorry about that, but they still exist even nowadays, partly cos they've got a couple of bonuses which I can't refer to on here. ;) Until recently I always carried a 15a round pin tio 13a converter. Got me out of a lot of scrapes.

Right here goes, no particular order. May post others as I remember them.
Many of the problems encountered with Electrickery result from working in esoteric, unusual, and different ( ie free :D ) venues. :D

Local farm, off to a bad start, cos he screwed me down to the floor on price, cos "it's for Charidee". Then he asked if Jeanette would like to come, and charged her for a ticket. Anyway, I arrive, there's a band, a mobile self contained outside bar, and me. I'm offered a cable, and I take it. Then it gets dark, and the bar wants some of my 240v. So be it. Evening starts, jolly good fun, band doing first set, and all PA goes down, just backline and a light or two left. Me and the bar are dead in the water. Oh great. :( Some band members wander off thinking the fault's in their kit. As usual, everybody asks the DJ to sort it. Yeah right, we're all electrical engineers, carrying miles of cable and plugs capable of coping with everything, aren't we? So I walk across to the band, and say
"How's about plugging me and the band into the power you have, so we can restart? "
" Yeah but what if it blows the fuse"?
"Well we've got no music, no bar, and no lights now, so how would that be worse? ":confused: :D :D
"OK, let's try it"
So we finish the night thus, half the band are not happy bunnies, cos they can't have their cables back till I finish. ( Tee hee. ) I finish, they unplug their cables, and I'm packing up in Stygian darkness. Whoopee. At least the git of an organiser gave me full fee and a bottle of wine. :D

Hotel gets two new warming trolleys, each with two 13a plugs fitted. No probs, let's just plug them both into a 4way. Result, one melted 4way, and cold warming trolleys. Hey ho. :(

Couple from way back, first one in a Potato Chitting House ( yes it's spelt right. ;) ) Upstairs is fitted with loads of 5a sockets. We've got an adaptor for that, no probs. Until I turn on my lights. My lights don't flash at all, the house lights try to do what mine should, and the decks drop to 50% speed!!!!!! To this day, I have no idea of the cause. Solution? Cut a hole in the floor, drop a cable downstairs into a ring main, with 15a sockets, sorted. :D
Marquee hundreds of yards from the supply. Many many light duty extension cables. Eek! I get set up, and am looking down at some cables, when I realise the shadows on the wall are out of sync. Every time my lights flash, the chandeliers go dim! Oh crap. Set the lights to slow fade, and bin the spots. We made it to the end successfully, amazingly.

Young Farmers Gala Ball. Posh Marquee,( DJ wearing jeans and T-shirt, nobody told me it was a posh do. I expected a mucky barn. :o :o ) Huge Showband, absolutely excellent act. Sadly, the marquee erectors had not let the venue owner sort out the power. Three phases, he wanted to group eveything methodically and sensibly. Oh no, " we know what we're doing, we do this all the time". Morons. :bang: You've seen those puzzles where you've got to follow a tangle of intertwined lines back to source, haven't you? That's what we were up against. My power came from the band. After the third powercut, they said "We'll cut you off, cos you're taking too much power". One CD player, and a desk light, yeah right. They reconnected me during their last song of each set. Think we lost power about eight times before we finished.

Marquee with catering ovens. Alarm bells ringing. ;) " No probs mate, all professionally fitted, about a gazillion amps available, bombproof" It was during the backgrounf bit. I switched the first set of lights on, and: one out, all out. Somethging was re-routed, and no further issues.

Marquee in the lovely grounds of my local Golf Club. Morning of the wedding, and it's in the centre of a lake! One frantic pumping exercise later, and it's above the tideline. I go to set up, and as always" take the high ground". No, that's for the band. Oh goody. I'm in the pond in the corner. Only time I've actually been frightened, cos I'm actually standing in water by the end of the night! Thank the Lord for RCD's, eh?

One I've refrained from telling up to now, but I think I can legitimately put it in here. Marquee wedding, two separate supplies, loads of amps, no worries. We get the rig set up, tested, and left it on tickover, while we go and give the caterers a hand. Funnily enough, the power's gone off at their end. After a bit of investigation, we notice it's also gone off at my end. Drag owner out of house, and search for fault. Ring main trip switch in garage refusing to hold, so a chain of voices is formed, and all unplugged so it will reset. Caterer says " It can't be my gear, cos it was all PAT tested yesterday". Famous last words. One of the hostess trolleys has an earth fault presumably, and kicks the trip out either in the garage, or even worse the house sometimes. Two hours it takes us to find the offending one by elimination, as each time we get it wrong, we lose power, and have a trek to reset it. Also, there's six folk involved, so you know how that helps. Eventually we bin the dodgy one, and the owner actually has an identical one in the house, which he lends to the caterers.

More later, if any more neurones fire up.

A very apt title which sums up my last Marquee Wedding in September.

So upmarket Wedding no expense spared--nice blue ice cable ( not legal anymore according to Tony :eek: ) and err NO POWER.

The client accuses me of blowing the mains--erm rather difficult as I havent actually plugged in. :Censored: off.

So back to Mr Catering Manager who has no idea. Hmm I say to both these Muppets--I have an idea back in a minute--traces the cable all the way to the plug in main building--oh yes its a Cilla Black--surpise surprise--no one switched the plug on.:bang:

Later I was again accused of blowing the clients IPOD which was providing VERY background music--but NO--- on investigation this modern wonder of technology HAS FROZEN.

Red faced client struggles to unfreeze whilst unforgiving audience jeer him--
thats the bit I enjoyed--I may have inadvertantly mentioned over the 1k PA that its a frozen ipod---errr not mine you understand MR xxxxxx is fixing it.

More jeering and booing--im really loving this.

Mr Know it all is actually Mr Knows :Censored: all:D :D :D

So dont worry about Marquee problems--- invariably problems stem from people a lot less experienced and knowledgeable than ourselves.

The classic put down?

Listen sir/ mate / idiot --you choose which is most appropriate;)

I travel extensively Entertaining at Weddings, Parties etc and my Professional equipment is fully maintained checked, PAT tested every year and NEVER has a problem--so I think logic tells us that its something else--:p

Move on from there in a Professional way enhancing your reputation.

Peter as for charging your wife for a ticket---didnt you get her to carry all the equipment and tell them shes the roadie?

:Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh: :Laugh:

Im surprised you didnt have miles of cable--for Marquees I carry a min of 30 metres of blue ice cable---relax Tony I know;)

What DO you keep in that massive van apart from more speakers than Class D have in their showroom:cool:

:sofa: :sofa: :sofa: :sofa: :sofa:

best wishes
CRAZY K

A1DL
29-11-2009, 01:44 PM
first one in a Potato Chitting House ( yes it's spelt right. ;) ) Upstairs is fitted with loads of 5a sockets. We've got an adaptor for that, no probs. Until I turn on my lights. My lights don't flash at all, the house lights try to do what mine should, and the decks drop to 50% speed!!!!!! To this day, I have no idea of the cause.

Peter, I suspect the 5a socket you connected to was one of a pair wired in series, to connect 120v lamps.

Again, voltage drop issues. Whilst one can minimise the effect by deploying higher diameter cable over long runs, this does not alleviate the more dangerous issue of exporting a TN-C-S supply outside its equipotential zone, which in a fault condition could raise the potential of "real" earth (the brown stuff you stand on) to 240v.

Of course many marquee companies are unaware of this and haven't even heard of BS7909, let alone familiarised themselves with it. In the above example, the simplest safe alternative is a locally earthed generator. There is another more technical option which I've discussed in depth on the Blue Room, however I won't go into on here, as I would hate for a non-competent person to attempt and get it wrong, as the consequences could be fatal.

Excalibur
29-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Peter, I suspect the 5a socket you connected to was one of a pair wired in series, to connect 120v lamps. .
Aha. Quite likely.

Again, voltage drop issues. Whilst one can minimise the effect by deploying higher diameter cable over long runs, this does not alleviate the more dangerous issue of exporting a TN-C-S supply outside its equipotential zone, which in a fault condition could raise the potential of "real" earth (the brown stuff you stand on) to 240v..
Long, long time ago. Very amateur installation. In those days, the DJ hadn't seen or learnt as much, either. :o :o ( Mind you, he did have hair :D :D )

There is another more technical option which I've discussed in depth on the Blue Room, however I won't go into on here, as I would hate for a non-competent person to attempt and get it wrong, as the consequences could be fatal.

Intriguing. Heads off to said room for a nosey.

Creature
29-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Oh Dear Excalibur - oh so true mores the pity - made me laught tho as sinilar incidents spring to mind :):)