PDA

View Full Version : Top 6 Reasons why a DJ is better

Vectis
03-12-2009, 09:01 AM
To deal with a local upstart who's knocking out DIY disco hire packages for £59 (:bang: ) I'm planning to add a page to my website justifying DJ over DIY.

I already have several ideas about what the reasons should be, but thought I'd pass the bowl around for thoughts and suggestions.

Ideally I'm looking for a Reason - no more than 6-8 words - and a Justification - one sentence (two short ones at a push), and I plan to publish 5 or 6 of these.

The feedback may also prove useful to others, hence the thread.

Come on then... :)

yourdj
03-12-2009, 09:28 AM
PLAY ON FEAR. My mate does this but to be honest all he gets is cheap skate pikyes who i would not want to DJ for in the first place.

- Stuff may go wrong and you will have no ability to touch it as you may break it and loose your deposit.
- Your not a DJ and its allot more difficult than it looks. One track can clear the floor.
- it may be ok in your front room with your mates but its a whole lot different in a big venue with your whole family and friends.
- check if the supplier has pli/pat due to safety (that will stop fly by nights)
- you wont get the quality of equipment (sound and light)

NOT ALL DJ'S ARE CHEESY AND OLD (not that thats an issue)! THINGS HAVE MOVED ON A BIT SINCE THE OLD DAYS.

- This is when you send them a link to my website LOL.

rob1963
03-12-2009, 09:38 AM
A professional DJ reads the dance floor.

This ensures the right song is played at the right time, which results in the dance floor being busier.

Excalibur
03-12-2009, 10:21 AM
PLAY ON FEAR. My mate does this but to be honest all he gets is cheap skate pikyes who i would not want to DJ for in the first place.

- Stuff may go wrong and you will have no ability to touch it as you may break it and loose your deposit.
- Your not a DJ and its allot more difficult than it looks. One track can clear the floor.
- it may be ok in your front room with your mates but its a whole lot different in a big venue with your whole family and friends.
- check if the supplier has pli/pat due to safety (that will stop fly by nights)
- you wont get the quality of equipment (sound and light)

NOT ALL DJ'S ARE CHEESY AND OLD (not that thats an issue)! THINGS HAVE MOVED ON A BIT SINCE THE OLD DAYS.

- This is when you send them a link to my website LOL.

I know one who is. ;) :D And I rather liked the old days, life was simple then. :D

Excalibur
03-12-2009, 10:40 AM
"Would you trust your car to drive itself down the road? Well don't do it with your function, hire a DJ""

StarZSoundS
03-12-2009, 10:58 AM
I know one who is. ;) :D And I rather liked the old days, life was simple then. :D

Make that two of us then.Mature,experienced,caring.;)

We are all music fascillitators....we just do it slightly different ways:bang:

Excalibur
03-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Make that two of us then.Mature,experienced,caring.;)

We are all music fascillitators....we just do it slightly different ways:bang:

Different doesn't necessarily mean wrong. ;) :D

simonp
03-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Here's a couple of paragraphs you can pick the bones out of :)

Appearances can certainly be deceptive, especially when you see a good DJ doing their stuff (whether it be a club or mobile DJ). Good DJ'ing is a skilled profession that take hours and hours of continual practice - Even the 'Superstar Club DJ's' such as Armin Van Buuren, Paul Van Dyk, Pete Tong, Paul Oakenfold etc are quoted as wanting to and put in at least 30hrs of practice during the week in order to perfect their skills and setlists. DJ'ing goes way beyond putting CDs into CD players or picking the next MP3 track.

You may have 3000 plus songs on your i-pod or other MP3 player, but are they really all the right types of music & songs for your event - remember you put songs on there to suit your taste, is your musical taste to everbody's taste?

* Professional DJs carry thousands of songs so that they are always prepared for any eventuality, and can change the music in an instant when and where required

* To keep your guests truly happy, you will need to accommodate requests and dedications from over 60 years of music, covering many different genres and sub-genres. Having the latest "NOW" CD will not be enough to keep you music collection up to date and relevent.

Excalibur
03-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Jamesy doesn't practice 30 hours a week. ;) See, not all superstar DJ's need to. ;) :D

spin mobile disco
03-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Any one can play a song. Dj's play the right one.

rob1963
03-12-2009, 02:17 PM
A DIY hire service will hire you one set of gear, which could go wrong.

A professional DJ will carry spare equipment as standard.

A DIY hire will probably include equipment which the hirer is not familiar with.

A professional DJ will know their own equipment inside out, including exactly how to get the best out of it.

pagan_flame
26-01-2010, 08:52 PM
YouTube- iPod Wedding

Kernow
29-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Here's a couple of paragraphs you can pick the bones out of :)

Appearances can certainly be deceptive, especially when you see a good DJ doing their stuff (whether it be a club or mobile DJ). Good DJ'ing is a skilled profession that take hours and hours of continual practice - Even the 'Superstar Club DJ's' such as Armin Van Buuren, Paul Van Dyk, Pete Tong, Paul Oakenfold etc are quoted as wanting to and put in at least 30hrs of practice during the week in order to perfect their skills and setlists. DJ'ing goes way beyond putting CDs into CD players or picking the next MP3 track.

You may have 3000 plus songs on your i-pod or other MP3 player, but are they really all the right types of music & songs for your event - remember you put songs on there to suit your taste, is your musical taste to everbody's taste?

* Professional DJs carry thousands of songs so that they are always prepared for any eventuality, and can change the music in an instant when and where required
* To keep your guests truly happy, you will need to accommodate requests and dedications from over 60 years of music, covering many different genres and sub-genres. Having the latest "NOW" CD will not be enough to keep you music collection up to date and relevent.

Do "Superstar" (or any other) Club DJs do requests ? :confused:

NKR
29-01-2010, 03:48 PM
You're ugly sister/bridesmade/cousin might finally get some lovin' :eek:

Did I say that out loud?

CRAZY K
29-01-2010, 05:14 PM
YouTube- iPod Wedding (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXj4P3iz2yg)

I would be tempted to simply link this BRILLIANT video to any short list of reasons others have suggested.

I think you could finally say--do you want your Wedding Reception to look to your guests as though its an amateurish shambles or a professionally run affair:eek:

CRAZY K

soundtracker
29-01-2010, 05:19 PM
I wouldn't regard someone "knocking out DIY disco hire packages for £59" as part of my competition, sometimes you have to accept that not every one is going to be your customer.

nisfo
29-01-2010, 05:26 PM
Why have a budget DJ, that could be one not to remember. Should you take that risk?

Weddings in my eyes are not just a piece of paper (like many think or say) it is the day and celebration of a couple declaring their love for each other. A DJ has the responsibility to end that day where the Bride & Groom, Family and guests all go to bed and not feel sour the following morning, because the DJ was :Censored: .

Yes the Bridle car broke down, or the vicar was miserable, or even the beer was naff.......BUT the DJ was bloody brilliant. Thats what it is all about. Why risk it, we read the dance floor, and have a larger taste of music than your normal DJ wannabe. I know a certain DJ who can rad the dance floor to a point, but will not play requests!! Needless to say those who ask him to play a request go home thinking he was a waste of time (resulting in a bad name and no future bookings)

A £59 DJ (if he/she can be called a DJ) will only get away with it so long, before they get tired of it or put their prices up.....Either way they wont last long ;)

Big Mix Mobile Disco
29-01-2010, 10:03 PM
"Would you trust your car to drive itself down the road? Well don't do it with your function, hire a DJ""

Nice one that :claphands:

How about:

DJ's provide not only the music, but also interaction that guarantees to get keep the atmosphere alive.

or

There's a saying you have to learn to crawl before you can walk, so why try to skip straight to running - you'll only fall over with a BANG!

Just a thought lol

Darren

Alex
27-03-2010, 02:37 AM
Out of interest... you're in my kinda area... who is it offering this?

I've not seen anyone offering hire for £59...however I have seen a DJ thats encroaching on my residencies and undercutting me by £40 - £60