PDA

View Full Version : Karaoke - is it worth it ??

ppentertainments
03-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Bit of background. The last karaoke I done was in the summer, where I was covering for another DJ in the pub. I never enjoyed karaoke and this evening I hated it.

Decision was made that I was going to pack in karaoke, but kept the kit for the occasional karaoke at a wedding (tacky I know :D )

The problem is (no telling me off here) is that it is very hard to get decent money round here for karaoke due to the cowboys. You can book a karaoke cheaper than a disco, and that is saying something :eek:

However, I have 3 good paying corporate gigs this month where they have asked for karaoke. Also a lot of the 'higher-end' DJ's doing karaoke in my area are stopping offering the service.

I have now had a bit of a rethink due to having less 'higher end' karaoke operators in the area. I feel there could be a bit of an opening in the market for this service.

I have a roadie who is good at singing so can take over that side of things for me, which is the bit I hate.

Anyway, do you think having karaoke availability is worth the expense etc. or are the cowboys winning on this ??

NKR
03-12-2009, 09:04 PM
I hate it and wouldn't offer it. Thats us though.

StarZSoundS
03-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Bit of background. The last karaoke I done was in the summer, where I was covering for another DJ in the pub. I never enjoyed karaoke and this evening I hated it.

Decision was made that I was going to pack in karaoke, but kept the kit for the occasional karaoke at a wedding (tacky I know :D )

The problem is (no telling me off here) is that it is very hard to get decent money round here for karaoke due to the cowboys. You can book a karaoke cheaper than a disco, and that is saying something :eek:

However, I have 3 good paying corporate gigs this month where they have asked for karaoke. Also a lot of the 'higher-end' DJ's doing karaoke in my area are stopping offering the service.

I have now had a bit of a rethink due to having less 'higher end' karaoke operators in the area. I feel there could be a bit of an opening in the market for this service.

I have a roadie who is good at singing so can take over that side of things for me, which is the bit I hate.

Anyway, do you think having karaoke availability is worth the expense etc. or are the cowboys winning on this ??

I woudn't feel dressed without it.

Its an option on my laptop and has been very useful on some Disco occasions ....as well as for specific Karaoke evenings and residencies. I have fallen behind about ten months with keeping it up to date....Its not a problem theres only been a couple of outstanding tunes this year anyway ....Sex On Fire and I've Gotta Feeling.

People don't expect you to have the really current stuff anyway....I must have got away with...

"Sorry Mate.....It takes about 6 months before it comes out on Karaoke"

A hundred times...

Admittedly it takes a while to load all the discs on your HD...But one of the best things i've ever done....

Will be updating the HD for Crimble tho;)

DazzyD
03-12-2009, 09:15 PM
We have regular karaoke discos so keeping the karaoke library up to date is worth the expense for us.

Mind you, few people want the very latest tracks. It's usually the kids / younger generation that ask the current chart stuff. But keeping up to date with the Sunfly and Mr Entertainer Hits series means we've got most of the latest hits covered.

I started with karaoke and our regular bookings mean that I've no plans to give it up just yet!

simonp
03-12-2009, 10:48 PM

Agreed

Karaoke = filthy word

rob1963
03-12-2009, 10:52 PM

Agreed

Seconded!

I think part of the reason why I hate it & would never offer it is because I'm really funny about people touching (let alone using) any of my gear...even if that gear happens to be a cheap karaoke mic!

BeerFunk
03-12-2009, 10:57 PM
I tried setting myself up for karaoke bookings a few years ago, and it failed miserably. I try not to think of the amount of money I lost over it, and that's before I even think about the hours wasted sorting songbooks etc :(

Anyway, line under it, never again. The trouble is that karaoke isn't really suited to large venues and audiences, generally speaking. This is because most singers really aren't that good, the backing music is usually awful, and as such the folks not really getting involved are put off. Obviously the bigger the venue, the larger the numbers of people not involved in the karaoke singing (ie. someone from their group getting up to sing).

No, I do think that there is a very limited market for karaoke outside of the small-medium pubs. Those who are set up and receiving well paid karaoke bookings are in a good position, but those trying to 'get a foot in' may find the return for their investment takes a while to come in.

StarZSoundS
03-12-2009, 11:35 PM
The trouble is that karaoke isn't really suited to large venues and audiences, generally speaking. This is because most singers really aren't that good, the backing music is usually awful, and as such the folks not really getting involved are put off. Obviously the bigger the venue, the larger the numbers of people not involved in the karaoke singing (ie. someone from their group getting up to sing).

That is a fairly fair comment....although I have used it to really good effect at some really big weddings....know what I mean.

Making a bit of a comeback.....It adds to your portfolio.Wouldn't ditch it but don't throw no more cash at it.Just make sure you have Pretty Woman on hand if anyone wants to sing it....nobody expects you to have all the chart stuff;)

Danno13
03-12-2009, 11:39 PM
I've advertised it for ages, as I know other DJs who can do it on my behalf, but the interest hasn't been all that overwhelming and the enquiries I have had have are more at the lower end of the market.

However, on a bit of a whim I bought myself a starter collection (just over 1000 tracks) this year, as I'd had a couple of requests for it on gigs I was booked for personally and it was going cheap (all originals of course!), so at least I can offer it as a small extra, rather than a full-blown karaoke.

Time will tell, but this ould prove to be worthwhile, especially as I an also do big screens & music videos, so it may help to sell a bigger overall package.

StarZSoundS
04-12-2009, 07:43 AM
I'm sorry but as things tighten up are you not better off having as many strings to your bow as possible...

"Do you do Karaoke?" Nope
"Do you do Kidz Parties"Nope
"Do you do Quiz Nights"Nope
"Do you do wakes" Nope
"Do you do Christenings"Nope

Looking at what some of you are saying about January and Feb I would start saying yes to some of these!!

Its all entertainment and gets you noticed.A busy rig is a happy rig!!

Sarahjovi
04-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Well, I do karaoke and not Disco! If people ask for a Disco with Karaoke, I don't do it, if they want Karaoke with some music then yes I do.

I'm doing my first Chrismas gig tomorrow night, its in a regular pub that we do, and I know its going to be a storming night, ending as usual with the whole pub singing, You'll never walk alone or New York New York or Maybe a Christmas number!

I'm told time and time again, that I'm the best person they've spoken to about Karaoke. Obviously because I do karaoke as the main thing and not an unloved add on!

Cheers

Sarah:D

rob1963
04-12-2009, 08:08 AM
I'm sorry but as things tighten up are you not better off having as many strings to your bow as possible...

"Do you do wakes" Nope

Looking at what some of you are saying about January and Feb I would start saying yes to some of these!!

I do three of those five options, so I think I'm okay.

I'm quite happy to stick with what I know & what I can do a good job with.

:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
04-12-2009, 12:23 PM

"Do you do wakes" Nope

Alternatively, you could offer something to make better money...

"DO you do dance floor hire?" Yes
"Do you do PA hire?" Yes

Etc etc

Excalibur
04-12-2009, 01:45 PM
That is a fairly fair comment....although I have used it to really good effect at some really big weddings....know what I mean.

Making a bit of a comeback.....It adds to your portfolio.Wouldn't ditch it but don't throw no more cash at it.Just make sure you have Pretty Woman on hand if anyone wants to sing it....nobody expects you to have all the chart stuff;)

Sensible.

"Do you do wakes" Nope

If they want to give me money for it, endless options can be made available.

I do three of those five options, so I think I'm okay.

:D
What? :confused:

Alternatively, you could offer something to make better money...

"DO you do dance floor hire?" Yes
"Do you do PA hire?" Yes

Etc etc

See above. If they want to pay for it, I'll try and offer it/find it for them. ;)

rob1963
04-12-2009, 02:23 PM

What? :confused:

I mean discos & quiz nights, but NOT kids parties or karaoke.

Excalibur
04-12-2009, 02:44 PM
I mean discos & quiz nights, but NOT kids parties or karaoke.

I knew what you meant . :p :D :D :D :D :D

mark karaoke
04-12-2009, 02:58 PM
i do both and enjoy them equally --- most of my bookings are for a mixture of karaoke and disco---i find this works well for me but i am aware of others in the area who dont like to mix both!! horses for courses

DazzyD
04-12-2009, 08:59 PM
i do both and enjoy them equally --- most of my bookings are for a mixture of karaoke and disco---i find this works well for me but i am aware of others in the area who dont like to mix both!! horses for courses

Good comment. What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander!

I am able to integrate disco with karaoke to good effect as well as do both as separate services.

In fact the only thing I wouldn't take on are club gigs as my knowledge of the latest club scene is rather lacking (comes from being a dad - my clubbing days are over!).

JDB Entertainment
05-12-2009, 12:43 AM
I agree with Danno on this, unfortunately the Karaoke Market around Birmingham seems to be at the lower end.

I did offer it as a Service and if someone wanted to pay the money I could source a DJ who offers it, however all the enquiries I have ever had for this just do not want to pay the money.

I also agree with Darren on the fact of offering Extra Services. This forum has helped me gain a few contacts who will offer me equipment at a rate and I can now offer it as an add-on and this helps me gain jobs, in my opinion and also by looking at my Bookings.

I also offer a more-a-less everything that StarSounds listed, however you will find that even though you offer services sometimes the people do not want to pay the price.

It will always be the same and this forum will always have members that charge more than others, etc.

However back to offering Karaoke as a Service.

In my opinion and experience it does not pay the money unless you get the higher paid gigs and they are few and far between.

I feel customers think Karaoke = Cheap and this will not change for a long time to come.

James

ppentertainments
05-12-2009, 09:10 AM
However back to offering Karaoke as a Service.

In my opinion and experience it does not pay the money unless you get the higher paid gigs and they are few and far between.

I feel customers think Karaoke = Cheap and this will not change for a long time to come.

James
I totally agree with all the above and it was for that reason I decided to cease offering karaoke. I am giving it another go for this year, hopefully to gain the higher paid gigs.

I think there must be more cowboys in the karaoke market than the disco market. As you say Karaoke = Cheap, yet it costs a lot to run a LEGAL karaoke.

STEVE HANLEY
12-12-2009, 11:36 AM
I've lost several bookings recently because I don't do it but everyone's saying I should start offering it I don't really want to cos I find them tacky but if I want the work I may have to start next year.

ppentertainments
12-12-2009, 02:45 PM
I've lost several bookings recently because I don't do it but everyone's saying I should start offering it I don't really want to cos I find them tacky but if I want the work I may have to start next year.
Only problem I have found though Steve, is that people wanting Karaoke are normally wanting to spend LESS than a disco :eek:

There are exceptions though, just not regular.