PDA

View Full Version : Google and Flash

Jiggles
04-01-2010, 06:56 PM
Google Analytics Tracking for Adobe Flash (http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/tracking/flashTrackingSetupFlash.html)

It has been for a long time, a know fact that Flash Websites, no matter how awesome just didn't get the PR in search engines as everything else displayed on the web.

Well it looks like Google has done it again with a simple one page explaination containing a Flash tracking component in two styles having same functionality, depending on your development.

The first sentence reads;
"This document covers everything you need to know to set up Google Analytics Tracking for Adobe Flash for the Adobe Flash development environment."

We all know that you shouldn't have to have an account with Google Analytics to be Indexed, but in my mind it sure does help.

For all you Flash Maniacs out there - Get It - Install It.

Marc J
05-01-2010, 11:18 AM
We all know that you shouldn't have to have an account with Google Analytics to be Indexed, but in my mind it sure does help.

I'm sorry Callum but to me this post is a little misleading. You touched on the reason why in the part I've quoted, but it's actually very important - this only lets you track views of flash objects in your GA account, it will NOT improve the way Google indexes flash content, your SERPS, Page Rank, or anything else.

My advice is always the same - use Flash for non critical elements of a site, with alternative content for non-flash enabled visitors. Using just flash for a whole site or anything critical like navigation is a very bad idea, imho.