PDA

View Full Version : Now if only they could do the same with the music they play.

Wolfie
12-06-2006, 07:53 PM
have a read of this.. doesn't say anything about all the records they play with profanities or obvious inuendo's in though

Radio 1 to fine DJs for swearing
BBC Radio 1 is to introduce fines for presenters who use foul language on air following two complaints against breakfast show DJ Chris Moyles.

Moyles was censured for using a derogatory term about women and for accidentally swearing at a listener during a live phone call.

Ofcom said the incidents were not acceptable on a breakfast programme heard by children.

Radio 1 said it "takes Ofcom's findings very seriously".

"Live and edgy broadcasting carries risks but Radio 1's Controller, Andy Parfitt, has made it clear to both staff and presenters that inappropriate language is unacceptable," it said in a statement.

The station has told Ofcom that, in the future, presenters who accidentally swear or use other foul language on air will be subject to disciplinary measures.

If the rules are breached twice within 12 months, the presenter will suffer a financial penalty.

Radio 1 said these new procedures were already in place, but Moyles would not be fined on this occasion.

However, the station told Ofcom that Mr Parfitt had raised the issue of foul language with the DJ "who had given an assurance that his use of language would be more carefully managed".

Clearly unsuitable

Two further complaints against Radio 1 were also upheld by the broadcasting watchdog.

A prank phone-call on Scott Mills' afternoon show, which contained bleeped-out swear words, was found to be "overtly aggressive" and "clearly unsuitable for broadcast".

Moyles' breakfast show was found to be in breach of broadcasting guidelines for a third time when it allowed a guest to swear during an interview.

In the latter case, Ofcom said it was satisfied that the presenter had asked the guest not to swear.

It also welcomed the fact that Radio 1 had reminded production teams how to deal with language from contributors in light of the breach.

However, the watchdog said it had serious concerns about "the number and, in some cases, the seriousness of compliance issues that have arisen" at the station.

"We recognise that Radio 1 aims to produce imaginative and innovative programming but the station also attracts a wide-ranging audience, including large numbers of children," it said.

"Any future similarly serious compliance issues may result in the consideration of further regulatory action."

CRAZY K
12-06-2006, 08:12 PM
Presumably if these so called "stars" were really top class at what they do they wouldnt need to swear or have people swearing on their programmes --

I thought that was what second rate comics did in third rate clubs!

But then the BBC do more or less anything they can get away with to get better listener ratings!

I like to think we are raising standards--the BBC seem to be lowering them!

CRAZY K

magicfm
12-06-2006, 09:04 PM
Have to agree with Wolfie

Ok I curse more than Gordan Ramsey but I would never use language at a gig which contained minors nor would I curse on air. But why not curse like a trooper at a gig or on air at Radio One? - with the explicit lyrics in the songs that are popular with kids nowdays - gangster rap and sexual orientated songs I don't think the odd swear word will make a difference compared to the trashy lyrics.

Sadly it seems society is sliding in the wrong direction and if any song is banned it will only attract attention but these record company boys know who the market are and they'll keep doing it.

:(

Have a disco
12-06-2006, 09:59 PM
OH dear another reining of R1 DJ's trying to get attention from the older generation buy appealing to the younger LOL oh **** **** theres another 10p in the swear box

sorry if its in the dictionary lets use it freely lol

Wolfie
12-06-2006, 10:11 PM

Call me old fashioned, but i like to think there is a time & place for everything & coming out with smut on national radio or for that matter playing records full of smut there should be no time for it at all, especially when they know the listening audience is the young & easily mislead.

OK it may be in the dictionary, but if my mother was still alive i wouldn't say it in front of her.

Corabar Steve
13-06-2006, 06:44 AM
OH dear another reining of R1 DJ's trying to get attention from the older generation buy appealing to the younger LOL oh **** **** theres another 10p in the swear box

OK then, Badger you're a **** & that one's in Chaucer's "the Canterbury Tales" as well :teeth:

However, (seriously now) I believe that swearing should not occur infront of minors or others that it would cause offence to. (& I swear more that that Ramsay ****** , Ask Angela if you don't ******* believe me)

How would you like it if I used the un-edited version of my first sentance to you in front of say, your mother? or grandmother?

CRAZY K
13-06-2006, 08:03 AM
Just to repeat--

Presumably if these so called "stars" were really top class at what they do they wouldnt need to swear or have people swearing on their programmes --

Second rate and desperate to get attention otherwise no one would listen to what they have to offer!

As regards gangsta, swearing and all that stuff---glad to say Im not into that market--mind you I have just told a client who wants some Disco our Policy is we dont play that offensive stuff--so they can take it--or leave it!

CRAZY K

colinm345
13-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Just to repeat--

Second rate and desperate to get attention otherwise no one would listen to what they have to offer!

As regards gangsta, swearing and all that stuff---glad to say Im not into that market--mind you I have just told a client who wants some Disco our Policy is we dont play that offensive stuff--so they can take it--or leave it!

CRAZY K

SECONDED

soundtracker
13-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Moyles swearing and getting told off is just a Radio One marketing ploy to attract the yoof, who think that swearing is cool- in reality, most people would rather tune in to Wogan, no profanities, lots of innuendo, but most of all much better music.

Have a disco
13-06-2006, 10:24 AM
the minute radio one changed and become the upfront station rather than playing old and new like it use to, it seemed to allow more swearing on music hence the reason Radio 2 out does it on a daily basis. R1 DJ's seem to be carbon copy DJ's one after the next without personality like Radio 2's give radio 1 back its personality and comedy most of all its right to play old or new tunes with newer versions of Mike read, Kenny Everitt, Bruno Brookes & dare I say it bring back Noel Edmunds Radio deal or no deal LOL.

Where as Music has neither helped without the industry not editing nor regulating its self it will continue to release music with profanities. But remember this words have had there meanings changed in 20 years ie; bad meaning good?? and a whole host of other words to say boot. What we call swear words are no longer treated as such and newer ones have replaced the old. So what we call a swear word in a lyric may actually not be??

I will continue to play the original versions with the profanities as the kids already know its there and sing it regardless of it being editied its upto the industry to limit or make them change the lyrics saying its not suitable for airplay or release 2 versions

Wolfie
13-06-2006, 11:28 AM
the minute radio one changed and become the upfront station rather than playing old and new like it use to, it seemed to allow more swearing on music hence the reason Radio 2 out does it on a daily basis. R1 DJ's seem to be carbon copy DJ's one after the next without personality like Radio 2's give radio 1 back its personality and comedy most of all its right to play old or new tunes with newer versions of Mike read, Kenny Everitt, Bruno Brookes & dare I say it bring back Noel Edmunds Radio deal or no deal LOL.

Where as Music has neither helped without the industry not editing nor regulating its self it will continue to release music with profanities. But remember this words have had there meanings changed in 20 years ie; bad meaning good?? and a whole host of other words to say boot. What we call swear words are no longer treated as such and newer ones have replaced the old. So what we call a swear word in a lyric may actually not be??

I will continue to play the original versions with the profanities as the kids already know its there and sing it regardless of it being editied its upto the industry to limit or make them change the lyrics saying its not suitable for airplay or release 2 versions

The reason Radio 2 is so popular (& this is where i start to sound like my dad) is because it plays real music - nothing fake or nothing that people don't want to listen to. Don't get me wrong there are some programmes on radio 2 i wouldn't listen to such as their folk music & classical sessions.

Radio 1 really took a dive when they decided to sweep a new wave of changes through the station... sacking people like Simon Bates & Steve Wright who are still able to attract mass radio listening audiences.

Not only that Radio 1 try to keep a youthful approach so they sign up people with very little or no experience from radio & the ones that quite frankly aren't very good. I think Chris Moyles has been sacked from every radio station he has ever worked at before working on radio 1 & he worked on local radio round these parts & the local station sacked him... what for, you guessed it - swearing on air & abusing his listeners!

Yes the kids may find the swearing funny & "big" but it's the parents that don't, especially when it affects their behaviour. Let's be honest do you think your mother would approve if i went round your house as a spotty teenager & started swearing & even if she walked into a pub where there was a karaoke on & the person singing was coming out with song lyrics from some rap song.

I know the world has changed somewhat with this more free flowing society, but it really is getting out of control & something REALLY needs to be done. Even if it means imposing a 9pm watershed like for TV. 23 years ago Radio 1 banned "Relax" because it has a rather tame innuendo in it, these days they don't bat an eyelid at radio 1 & quite happily allow The Pussycat Dolls (Beep), the Black eyed peas (my humps) & all the other drivel to be played on air & IMHO it's nothing but filth & should never have airplay on any station at all, as the innuendo are far more obvious & kids are having these songs as ringtones or singing them in the street which i am sure must upset the school teachers & the parents of their friends.

It's generally regarded as OK for adults to swear & adults have a level of responsibility & I'm sure most of us wouldn't swear or come out with profanities in the wrong circumstances. I know when i swear i probably won't offend many people but I also know if i was a 10 year old & said the same things, then I would.. but the kids don't seem to have this same decorum because they think swearing makes them big, clever & more grown up yet, what it actually does is create the oposite impression.

I know our youngest has to be continually told about her language & the stupid Chav like comments she comes out with & it's getting to the stage where she is just standing in the street coming out with offensive remarks & doesn't care who's listening.... it's getting so bad we are even considering a change of school if her attitude doesn't change.

I'm not keen on a nanny state & i know what i am saying probably stinks of NIMBY & "Nanny state" like, but this is part of my job as a professional entertainer working to professional standards & i feel like i have nothing but unprofessional tools to work with which is really hampering my professional standardthat i have strived for for so long.

Don't get me wrong, i've played Chubby Brown, Ivor Biggun & the Macc lads at gigs, but there is a time & a place for it... playing it at kids parties, weddings or 60th birthdays is out, yet if James Blunt or the Black Eyed Peas releases a song that it is offensive & is popular it will be often be requested at those gigs where the likes of the "Killing in the name of" by Rage against the machine won't, yet the songs are no more or less offensive.

Corabar Steve
13-06-2006, 02:06 PM
In which case I'll stick with my original
Badger you're a **** You don't deserve to get any bookings with an attitude like that!

Fresh
13-06-2006, 02:34 PM
maybe he needs some kids of his own so he can appreciate where parents come from on this issue and general morality comes into play ..... on second thoughts:zip:

Corabar Entertainment
13-06-2006, 02:59 PM
.... and it's not just kids. There are still plenty of adults out there of all ages who are offended by bad language, and I really cannot comprehend the attitude of 'Well everyone knows the words, so it does not matter'.... that really is beyond me.

In most situations, I don't take much notice if people swear, and I swear myself - but I would never do so in front of people I do not know well, never mind in front of children. If I employed a DJ who didn't have the manners not to play profane tracks, I would be embarrassed, offended, and make a strong complaint ....and I would certainly never recommend him to anyone.

Have a disco
13-06-2006, 04:01 PM
In which case I'll stick with my original You don't deserve to get any bookings with an attitude like that!

Now

I feel that comment unfounded

IF

a customer asked me not to play tunes without profanity then I would oblige quiet happily

but NO ONE DOES??? prehaps I live in an area that accepts bad language more than some, but my head aint stuck up my arse nor buried in sand.

I have nothing wrong with my attitude to business in general its older middle classed clients that have a problem with modern english and the acceptance of it in MODERN SOCIETY with a very new chavness about it... I have been a dj for over 23 years doing mobiles to clubs to international people of many genres. It is accepted worldwide that it is the norm Im sorry that I dont formulate to your standards but then I never want to. I formulate to my customers needs and only them

Corabar Entertainment
13-06-2006, 04:11 PM
Sorry Badger, but I couldn't disagree more - it's just plain manners.

Most of our customers wouldn't ask, simply because it's not something most people feel they should need to ask.

Would you swear over the microphone when you talk at a gig?

Have a disco
13-06-2006, 04:13 PM
maybe he needs some kids of his own so he can appreciate where parents come from on this issue and general morality comes into play ..... on second thoughts:zip:

I have an 8 year old step daughter and a 2 1/2 year old of my own, trust me I try not to swear, but when the 8 year old comes home swearing worse than me because teachers no longer chastise them for bad language, then what chance do I stand. bring back the ruler, slipper or cane let teachers, coppers have the ability of light punishment or discipline. I cant even smack my own child within reason due to stupid rules. Discipline has been eroded by the know alls (nosey parkers welfare idiots)

I have absolutely no control over the music scene, so I cant force listeners to listen to edited versions that want the original versions in 90% of occasions most people just turn a deaf ear to it saying its a sign of the times (or the just cant understand what they are on about). Its leaves it down to the music Industry to ensure that they hold the moral ground not ours why should it always come back to us.

And no I don swear over the MIC nor in most places in general life with mates I may do but I do understand good manners so please get of my case.

Last but not least without PUNK music having been about would we have the music of today???. Everyone winged about that then found it ok years later?

Corabar Entertainment
13-06-2006, 04:42 PM
...Not 'on your case' Badger, just disagree with you. You are entitled to your opinion, just as I am to mine. This is just a healthy debate as far as I am concerned :) :) ..... which is what the forums are about :teeth:

The point I am trying to make is that I personally cannot understand why you would want to risk offending people as you say you would always choose to play the unedited version with expletives included - even if there is a radio edit version available. After all, unless the guests at your event own the particular track themselves in their collection (and assuming that even if they did own it, it wasn't on something like a 'Now' compillation), the only version they will have heard is the edited version on the radio or TV.

Corabar Steve
13-06-2006, 04:42 PM
And no I don swear over the MIC nor in most places in general life with mates I may do but I do understand good manners so please get of my case.Then I would say you're guilty of having double standards

Last but not least without PUNK music having been about would we have the music of today???. Everyone winged about that then found it ok years later? But if you actually listen to the lyrics you will see that there were actually (proportionatly) very few profanities. The uproar was about:
a) the Sex Pistols on Today (the only real reference to foul mouthed yobs)
b) the way the punks looked
c) the sound of the music (but what the hell at least they played their own instruments)
d) the gobbing

CRAZY K
13-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Punk Music OK--- Are you being serious?

We could have easily done without all that swearing stuff.

There were a few good tracks that had no swearing--the rest was dire!

Thats the reason I gave up as a DJ in the late 70s and switched to other things.

Having been a DJ for 10 years previously I just couldnt stand it anymore.

Sometimes enough is enough!

I repeat again--people who have to swear to get attention are third rate--people with real talent dont have to bother.

CRAZY K

Fresh
13-06-2006, 04:48 PM
I have an 8 year old step daughter and a 2 1/2 year old of my own, trust me I try not to swear, but when the 8 year old comes home swearing worse than me because teachers no longer chastise them for bad language, then what chance do I stand. bring back the ruler, slipper or cane let teachers, coppers have the ability of light punishment or discipline. I cant even smack my own child within reason due to stupid rules. Discipline has been eroded by the know alls (nosey parkers welfare idiots)

I disagree, sure the kids will swear at school, ecen my 6 year old gets to know swear words fromothers at school, but it is OUR reponsibilty to control this at home and create the boundaries, stop being lazy and blaming teachers, they have enough problems with the lack of school structure and discipline. I agree certain rules have been eroded (and for good reason), but where there is still respect and boundaries, discipline will remain.

I have absolutely no control over the music scene, so I cant force listeners to listen to edited versions that want the original versions in 90% of occasions most people just turn a deaf ear to it saying its a sign of the times (or the just cant understand what they are on about). Its leaves it down to the music Industry to ensure that they hold the moral ground not ours why should it always come back to us.

Disagree again, we have the ability to show parent who let this slip that there are still morals to be upheld, I have been thanked many times for not being swayed by a 12 year old to play swearing lyrics, i recently embarressed a boy and a girl (who were 11 or 12) for breast groping and grinding to BEEP .... AM I WRONG .... again the parents thanked me and had a word with thier parents .... I just thought imagine if that was my daughter ! so we can change things. Lots of small changes make a igger impact

And no I don swear over the MIC nor in most places in general life with mates I may do but I do understand good manners so please get of my case.

Last but not least without PUNK music having been about would we have the music of today???. Everyone winged about that then found it ok years later?

I should hope you do not swear over the mic, there is nothing less professional. Swearing in music was happening way before PUNK, just the anarchy brought it to public discussion .... still maybe if a few people walked down the road naked or had sex in the street infront of people and children that will become the norm who then would care ?????

In the reverse little things create a bigger issue ...........

Have a disco
13-06-2006, 05:43 PM
..The point I am trying to make is that I personally cannot understand why you would want to risk offending people as you say you would always choose to play the unedited version with expletives included - even if there is a radio edit version available. After all, unless the guests at your event own the particular track themselves in their collection (and assuming that even if they did own it, it wasn't on something like a 'Now' compillation), the only version they will have heard is the edited version on the radio or TV.

If they produced edited versions and released only the edited versions then fine, but they don't in 70% of the times. especially on promos, they use profanities to please there market requirements of pleasing the 18 - 25 market the main music buying age group and gain street credibility and to top it off they have thousands of innuendos mixed in as well.

What next we'll end up with a clean chart and a raw chart like in biblebash parts of america. sorry I understand your reasons for not wanting to hear or play the tunes but in that case you had better lose half the music collection you use as it would need a complete PC policy to play the right music.

Cant play music with PC policing covers

profanities
innuendos
racist taunts
gay liberation or political comments
derogatory comments about other people
religion
sexual taunting
drugs or related

that leaves you with just what to play panpipe people oh yes funky, profanities are lazy bad manners but Im afraid they are here to stay blame society and the doogooders for messing around with olde english morals not my generation

Corabar Steve
13-06-2006, 07:28 PM
in that case you had better lose half the music collection you use as it would need a complete PC policy to play the right music.

Cant play music with PC policing covers

profanities
innuendos
racist taunts
religion
sexual taunting
drugs or related

that leaves you with just what to play panpipe people oh yes funky, profanities are lazy bad manners but Im afraid they are here to stay blame society and the doogooders for messing around with olde english morals not my generationAll I can say is that if half of your collection contains lyrics that fall into the above categories then you either have:

a) a very small & limited collection
or
b) an extremely bizzarre one!

CRAZY K
13-06-2006, 09:54 PM
I think this all started because of BBC Radio One and swearing by certain
so called stars.

Tonight a disturbing development (as far as I am aware) on the BBC News at Ten---an interview with the two Muslim Guys who were wrongly arrested by the Police were giving a news conference and one of them said--The Police
told him to get on the floor and shut the f...up! But the full f word was broadcast without a bleep.

Now I may be wrong but as I watch News at Ten most evenings I dont ever recall this happening---so is it me or is there an BBC agenda here?

And no I dont care if the Police talk like that--I dont want my wife and family or me to hear it on TV news--its just not necessary.

Also I watch the overpaid Johnathan Ross some times--not him but his guests--and every time he swears---which is several times a night--its bleeped out--by the BBC--so its got not much to do with watershed times?

So anyone got a clue what thats about?

BBC going down the sewer route of ever decreasing standards?

Or is it something else?

I think I will email a personal complaint.

CRAZY K

Corabar Entertainment
13-06-2006, 09:58 PM
It was beeped out on earlier braodcasts!

Have a disco
14-06-2006, 06:07 AM
I believe society in general has let standards drop not me or you personally but as a whole. I was quiet shocked to here it on the news... But does this mean the news producer gets fined??? probably not

profanities
innuendos
racist taunts
religion
sexual taunting
drugs or related

You can find these in 90% of tunes

ie strawberry fields by the beatles was drug related byee to that one Queen most of there songs were about gayness and full of innuendos, I could go on and on. Just where do we stop and just play the music.

Its down to the music industry to enforce a non swearing policy not us, artists have taken it to be 2nd nature that they can get away with it

Corabar Entertainment
14-06-2006, 08:25 AM
I believe society in general has let standards drop not me or you personally but as a whole.....But 'society' is made up of you and me and every other individual out there.

CRAZY K
14-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Absolutely right-I have sent an email complaint to the BBC about the News at Ten including use of the f word.

Everyone should complain about these kind of things--

CRAZY K

Have a disco
14-06-2006, 12:17 PM
....But 'society' is made up of you and me and every other individual out there.

very true but why should I be gangpressed into conforming, when the rest of society never bothers anymore, in fear of being classed as extemist or not lienient to others views. I wount take sides nor will I offend those that view profanities as wrong, but you cant please every one, especially at a disco, only the birthday person or wedding couple the main parties at a disco in general are in charge and your there to please them and their requirements. Something I try to do but swearing is a very borderline issue R1 were right say they were to fine there DJ's if they swore more than twice a year, but the policy should be widened to all Radio stations and TV stations as well. And thats up to the stations to impliment.

If the record companies wont stop bringing out the records that sell with profanities, then there is nothing I can do if customers request the original version rather than the edited version.

Corabar Entertainment
14-06-2006, 12:36 PM
..... there is nothing I can do if customers request the original version rather than the edited version.I understand that completely and agree that it can be a difficult situation when a song is requested for which there is no radio edit available (I must confess that I have never come across a client specifically requesting an eplicit version, rather than a radio edit version) but both situations are different from what you have said in the past. Previously, you have said that you would always choose to play the unedited version, rather than the radio edit version, and it is that choice that I find difficult to understand.

As I said before, regardless of what the DJs say over the microphone, the versions of the songs played and heard by people on the radio and TV are the edited versions.

very true but why should I be gangpressed into conforming, when the rest of society never bothers anymoreThat in itself is contratictory - if no-one is bothered, how can it be conforming? My view is, if everyone says 'why should I bother, no-one else does?' then we really are completely doomed! And just to clarify again, you are not being 'gangpressed'..... what you do an how you run your business is just that - your business! I just enjoy a good debate between opposing views! :)

hotangel
14-06-2006, 01:39 PM

But you do have control over the music industry to a small degree, you are a DJ, which means you can make a difference in the way the music scene is controlled. This was something that was brought up at the MDA meeting. If every DJ in the land refuses to play obscene records or records without radio edits then i am sure the music industry would take note in a big way.

You keep saying about promotions & DJ's should be used for promotion of music, well now is your chance.

30,000 DJ's playing to 100 people each = 300,000 people
let's assume the average DJ/KJ does 2 gigs a week, that's 15,600,000 people we can get the message across to.

That is a lot of people to promote good music as well as good practice from working DJ's to & surely enough to make the music industry take notice.

Like Angela say's people would expect not to have to ask youto play clean versions of songs, but at the same time they would not be expecting to be forced into listening to what obscene songs you play.

Corabar Steve
14-06-2006, 01:39 PM
very true but why should I be gangpressed into conforming,Now there's an inuendo if I ever saw one! :teeth:

a) profanities
b) innuendos
c) racist taunts
d) gay liberation or (e) political comments
f) derogatory comments about other people
g) religion
h) sexual taunting
i) drugs or related

You can find these in 90% of tunes
Let's have a look at this in depth by both prooving & ridiculing your points

a)Ones that immediatly sping to mind would be 50 Cent or Eminem, but then there's also Chaucer's poems & drinking songs of the middle ages

b)Oom-pah-pah from Oliver! & nearly every pre 1950's blues song ever written as well as Jamaican folk music & early Rock 'n' Roll

c) I honestly can't think of any other than bands like Screwdriver etc from the far right

d) Tom Robinson Band - Glad to be gay (highly offensive :teeth: )

e) The Clash, Bob Marley, Rage Against the Machine, Billy Bragg, Bob Dylan, Joan Baez, Conflict, Crass, drinking songs of the middle ages, Flanagan & Allen - "Who do you think you are kidding Mr Hitler", Band Aid, the Specials, Artists Against Aparthied, UB40, & I suppose the NationaL Anthem(the list goes on with this one)

f)The only ones can think of are Eamon & Frankie FU/ FURB (see also section a) & "Jilted John" (Gordon is a moron)

g) "Spirit in the sky", Frankie Laine - "Answer me" George Harrison - "My sweet Lord", any Hymn ever written, "Michael row the boat ashore" & I suppose anything by the Singing Nun, Hazel O'Connor - "the eight day", Desmond Dekker - "Israelites", Most of Bob Marley's songs that aren't included in section e, Oops! nearly forgot the National Anthem again! Band Aid again (Christmas) All Christmas carrols

h) ????????? References possibly loads, taunting? None that I can think of

i)Well where do you begin? Frank Sinatra - "I get a kick out of you", Willie Dixon (will that name get past the auto censor??) Spoonfull, Talking of spoonfulls, Mary Poppins "A spoonfull of sugar" has to have drug refferences in it! the Byrds Eight miles high (actually about a filght from L.A. to London, not drugs)
The Beatles Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, not too sure if there are any references in there (as opposed to gibberish), but I think it's safe to say that some were consumed when it was written. Then there's tribal songs about vision quests & the like.

I'm sure there's more, but one that probably falls into most categories, is the song voted as the most popular Christmas song ever ..............

The Pogues - "A fairytale of New York"

It was christmas(g) eve babe
In the drunk(f) tank
An old man said to me, wont see another one
And then he sang a song
The rare old mountain dew
I turned my face away(b)
And dreamed about you

Got on a lucky one
Came in eighteen to one
Ive got a feeling
This years for me and you
So happy christmas(g)
I love you baby
I can see a better time
When all our dreams come true

Theyve got cars big as bars
Theyve got rivers of gold
But the wind goes right through you
Its no place for the old
When you first took my hand
On a cold christmas eve(g)
You promised me
Broadway was waiting for me

You were handsome(h)
You were pretty(h)
Queen(d) of new york city
When the band finished playing
They howled out for more
Sinatra was swinging, (b)
All the drunks(f) they were singing
We kissed on a corner
Then danced through the night (b)

The boys of the nypd(e) choir
Were singing galway bay (c)
And the bells were ringing out
For christmas day(g)

Youre a bum(f)
Youre a punk(f)
Youre an old slut on junk(f)(i)
Lying there almost dead on a drip in that bed(f)(i)
You scumbag, you maggot(f)(f)
You cheap lousy faggot(f)(d)
Happy christmas your arse(g)(h)(a)
I pray God its our last(g)

I could have been someone
Well so could anyone
You took my dreams from me
When I first found you
I kept them with me babe
I put them with my own
Cant make it all alone(h)
Ive built my dreams around you

hotangel
14-06-2006, 02:02 PM
Another thing Steve.

Songs like "puff the magic dragon" to your average 6 year old it's a childrens song about a dragon called puff who lives in a magical land. Of course when you get older the alternative meaning behind the song becomes obvious, but then we said the same about the Magic Roundabout being full of farcical drug references that kids aren't simply old enough to understand and Captain pugwash being full of sexual references that kids aren't likely to be obviously aware of.

Also think how some bands get their names. "10cc" & "the loving spoonful" for examples i can think of are not obvious to children to understand but as you get older & start to understand life a little more then the inspiration for their names is a lot more obvious.

Problem is though with people like 50cent, Black Eyed peas or Destiny's Child the sexual references are very obvious to everyone & as Wolfie said Frankie goes to Hollywood was not that obvious a reference yet it got a ban from all BBC broadcasting.

Corabar Steve
14-06-2006, 03:43 PM
the Magic Roundabout being full of farcical drug references that kids aren't simply old enough to understand and Captain pugwash being full of sexual references that kids aren't likely to be obviously aware of.Both of which are actually urban myths

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Both of which are actually urban myths

Not so sure about the Magic roundabout Steve....

I know Captain Pugwash was a load of rubbish.

It was Tom the cabin boy for a start...

Have a disco
14-06-2006, 04:14 PM
I understand that completely and agree that it can be a difficult situation when a song is requested for which there is no radio edit available (I must confess that I have never come across a client specifically requesting an eplicit version, rather than a radio edit version) but both situations are different from what you have said in the past. Previously, you have said that you would always choose to play the unedited version, rather than the radio edit version, and it is that choice that I find difficult to understand.

As I said before, regardless of what the DJs say over the microphone, the versions of the songs played and heard by people on the radio and TV are the edited versions.
That in itself is contratictory - if no-one is bothered, how can it be conforming? My view is, if everyone says 'why should I bother, no-one else does?' then we really are completely doomed! And just to clarify again, you are not being 'gangpressed'..... what you do an how you run your business is just that - your business! I just enjoy a good debate between opposing views! :)

Many a time I have been moaned at for playing an edited version only to be told to play the original. In general terms I normally play the unedited versions, but I do use judgement carefully depending on the type of event over 50's I may never play a song with anything bad, where as a 18 - 25 event is plain crude n rude nights with all the bumb n grinding that goes on.

How many could remember French kiss by Lil louis and the ruckus that caused many a disco was going mad for it but then came the edited version and it killed the whole idea of the record. There are just tunes that should not be messed with because of there plain cheek

as I try to refrain from doing kids disco's apart from school disco's I just use my common sense, but the kids will ask for the stuff and the teachers no longer care as long as they enjoy themselves and get paid overtime...

So yes I stick with the principal that if it was made to be played like that then it should be so. I have been a club DJ for far too long to know that you don't mess with the edition that started it off.. Its sacraligious But even when I was doing disco's over 20 years ago things were a lot tamer than now and maybe its time the reigns were bought back in to slow it down and control it again bring back the English and nulify the slang

Lets face it there is no real quality out there hence X-Factor/pop idol 1 hit wonders all the time no one has longevity any more

hotangel
14-06-2006, 11:39 PM
I see where your sentiments lie & why you think that way, but we discussed this at length at the MDA meeting & the one thing we concluded was that people know the records they hear which are on the radio & TV music stations which most are cleaned up with beeps & editing. Yet when we buy the records, the records we buy often aren't the ones you hear on the radio & this will mean the people at disco's will hear the record & expect a DJ at a mobile disco to play a clean version the same as a Dj on the radio.

We all i am sure appreciate that when we play records it is easy to work out for ourselves where the swearing is & what they are actually saying even when the words are beeped out & this is what is wrong & what offends me more is that the censorship only accounts for a beep or missing word instead of a clean lyrics version.

Like the lyrics that steve posted, they are very tame yet have strong references to sex or drugs but they are writtenb in such a way it is not obvious or it has 2 or 3 different meanings but when words like my little lady luimps are in songs it has just one meaning & that meaning is just pure filth.

Have a disco
15-06-2006, 10:36 AM
I see where your sentiments lie & why you think that way, but we discussed this at length at the MDA meeting & the one thing we concluded was that people know the records they hear which are on the radio & TV music stations which most are cleaned up with beeps & editing. Yet when we buy the records, the records we buy often aren't the ones you hear on the radio & this will mean the people at disco's will hear the record & expect a DJ at a mobile disco to play a clean version the same as a Dj on the radio.

We all i am sure appreciate that when we play records it is easy to work out for ourselves where the swearing is & what they are actually saying even when the words are beeped out & this is what is wrong & what offends me more is that the censorship only accounts for a beep or missing word instead of a clean lyrics version.

Like the lyrics that steve posted, they are very tame yet have strong references to sex or drugs but they are writtenb in such a way it is not obvious or it has 2 or 3 different meanings but when words like my little lady luimps are in songs it has just one meaning & that meaning is just pure filth.

true but the trouble with radio & TV stations are that soon as 7.30 turns so do the lyrics or lack of beeps

Fresh
15-06-2006, 11:05 AM
true but the trouble with radio & TV stations are that soon as 7.30 turns so do the lyrics or lack of beeps

Rubbish .... I have never heard a swear word in a song on capital FM, Kiss FM, Virgin radio etc etc

They hav governance and have to play "RADIO EDIT" versions .... the point is that people are used to these edits and these edit are not always availale to the public when they purchase, the fact is as DJ's we should have access to the edited and un-edited and then be able to play the correct version when appropriate or required

CRAZY K
15-06-2006, 11:28 AM
If you read my earlier post on here I reported that the BBC News at Ten allowed the Muslim Guy who was giving a news conference to use the F word without bleeping it earlier this week.He was repeating what the police had said to him--is there an agenda I wonder?

So yes its going on in the TV world---which is watched by more people of course than listening to radio.

I made an official complaint to the BBC--will I ever get a reply :sad:

CRAZY K

Corabar Entertainment
15-06-2006, 12:25 PM
Alan - I think you and Doug are talking at cross purposes: I believe Doug is specifically talking about the music played - ie that radio edits are always played on the radio and the videos on TV, etc

Have a disco
15-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Rubbish .... I have never heard a swear word in a song on capital FM, Kiss FM, Virgin radio etc etc

They hav governance and have to play "RADIO EDIT" versions .... the point is that people are used to these edits and these edit are not always availale to the public when they purchase, the fact is as DJ's we should have access to the edited and un-edited and then be able to play the correct version when appropriate or required

As you state most privately owned stations have a better grasp on the situation and usually play edit versions but they are also told to stick rigidly to a playlist??? so dont have time nor want to play anything but the edit versions as to get there adverts in place????

But radio 1 continues to **** a snoop at the others hence an introduction of fines for there DJ's but a watershed does exsist for them and a lot of Dance radio stations

CRAZY K
15-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Agreed Angela, but im just generalising about the BBC who broadcast TV and Radio and in both areas have been found wanting as far as maintaining standards are concerned---

CRAZY K

Corabar Entertainment
15-06-2006, 04:00 PM
No arguments there! :omg:

dj andy allwood
26-06-2006, 10:45 AM
depending on what kind of gigs you do should depend on what level you play music with swearing in.
if your doing a family disco when all ages from 5 to 90 are there then no you shouldn't play songs with swearing in, if your doing a party say for office foke (ie.someone is leaving the local bank etc) and are quite young 18-21+ and your playing a lot of hip hop and rap then music with swearing in would be acceptable.
i do have to say though that personally i dont think swearing on the mike is acceptable at any time, but thats just my personal opinion.