PDA

View Full Version : Cortex - another weird question

DJ Jules
17-01-2010, 09:59 AM
Now, I'm not sure if this is just me, but I've noticed some weird behaviour on my HDC3000. This is a fun one to try at home...

Find a track with a good clear steady beat, load it up on both decks, engage master tempo, and set the pitch to +2% or so on both decks. Set your mixer with both channels up, and cue up both decks on a beat.

Press play on one deck, wait 30 secs or so and then start the other deck on the beat. The theory goes that everything is digital so both decks should play in sync and not drift, right?

Well, what tends to happen on my cortex is that the tracks will either move out of sync in the first 10secs or so, but then hold a steady beat so you can actually drift the tracks back and they'll then play together for the rest of the track. Or, the tracks will hold sync for 10 secs or so and then drift out! In other words, the Cortex appears to play the track at one speed for about 10secs, and then speed it up or slow it down very slightly! This problem only seems to happen when Master Tempo is engaged so I'm guessing it's something to do with the way that the unit is Time Shifting the tracks to maintain the pitch.

I've tried this with a few different tracks (all house/electro, so with a very steady unchanging beat) and with a witness to make sure that it's not just me going nuts!!

Has anyone else noticed this??

Julian

Penfold42
17-01-2010, 10:03 AM
I thought media play out systems don't like to play the same track on the same hard drive...? :confused:

Sends them whappy....:)

Excalibur
17-01-2010, 10:12 AM
I thought media play out systems don't like to play the same track on the same hard drive...? :confused:

Sends them whappy....:)

Only Denon. Your FFN chap warned me that doing that from a stick on your Denon crashed it, aand was to be avoided at all costs. So I did it on the Cortex, in front of him, no probs. ( It's one of the first things I tried when I got it. ;) :D :D )

Julian, I think I've read about Tempo issues on the Cortex, but i've only played with it for the Pinky and Perky effect.

Corabar Steve
17-01-2010, 10:28 AM
I do it every gig with my Denon (as part of my sound check, to make sure nothing has come unplugged during transit) Both HD2500s have no problems playing the same track on both decks.

Penfold42
17-01-2010, 10:31 AM
Only Denon. Your FFN chap warned me that doing that from a stick on your Denon crashed it, aand was to be avoided at all costs. So I did it on the Cortex, in front of him, no probs. ( It's one of the first things I tried when I got it. ;) :D :D )

Julian, I think I've read about Tempo issues on the Cortex, but i've only played with it for the Pinky and Perky effect.

I do it every gig with my Denon (as part of my sound check, to make sure nothing has come unplugged during transit) Both HD2500s have no problems playing the same track on both decks.

I've never actually put this to the test - only what i've heard....maybe time to try. :)

Excalibur
17-01-2010, 10:34 AM

I've never actually put this to the test - only what i've heard....maybe time to try. :)

Oh now it comes out. ;) ;) Tony, you should know better than to listen to blokes in pubs. ;) ;) In future, when you wish to know something, ask on here, where the smart people live. ;)

Penfold42
17-01-2010, 10:42 AM
:o

Shakermaker Promotions
17-01-2010, 11:02 AM
I've never had a problem playing the same track on the Denon. If there was a problem you could get around it easily enough by using USB1 and USB2 (Mine are exact copies of eachother).

Excalibur
17-01-2010, 11:07 AM
I've never had a problem playing the same track on the Denon. If there was a problem you could get around it easily enough by using USB1 and USB2 (Mine are exact copies of eachother).

Don't worry Gary, it appears to be Penmare spreading an Urban Myth. ;) ;)

Penfold42
17-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Don't worry Gary, it appears to be Penmare spreading an Urban Myth. ;) ;)

Which I heard from someone on here. :o

rob1963
17-01-2010, 02:07 PM
This is an interesting thread.

It's made me wonder whether the D2 plays the same track on both decks.

One way to find out.

*Added to the list of jobs to do tomorrow*

:D

Excalibur
17-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Which I heard from someone on here. :o

Name him/her!! Shot at dawn, there's no other option. :D :D

CRAZY K
17-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Now, I'm not sure if this is just me, but I've noticed some weird behaviour on my HDC3000. This is a fun one to try at home...

Find a track with a good clear steady beat, load it up on both decks, engage master tempo, and set the pitch to +2% or so on both decks. Set your mixer with both channels up, and cue up both decks on a beat.

Press play on one deck, wait 30 secs or so and then start the other deck on the beat. The theory goes that everything is digital so both decks should play in sync and not drift, right?

Well, what tends to happen on my cortex is that the tracks will either move out of sync in the first 10secs or so, but then hold a steady beat so you can actually drift the tracks back and they'll then play together for the rest of the track. Or, the tracks will hold sync for 10 secs or so and then drift out! In other words, the Cortex appears to play the track at one speed for about 10secs, and then speed it up or slow it down very slightly! This problem only seems to happen when Master Tempo is engaged so I'm guessing it's something to do with the way that the unit is Time Shifting the tracks to maintain the pitch.

I've tried this with a few different tracks (all house/electro, so with a very steady unchanging beat) and with a witness to make sure that it's not just me going nuts!!

Why would I play that classic Country track Stand by your Van on both decks at the same time on my Cortex during a gig :confused:

:D :D :D

Not that anyone notices during the drunken rendition that follows from my audience ;)

As a matter of interest Jules as you obviously like playing with the Cortex how easy is it to replace the start button--my HDC 1000 has a slightly sticky one---thanks

CRAZY K

DJ Jules
17-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Why would I play that classic Country track Stand by your Van on both decks at the same time on my Cortex during a gig :confused:

You wouldn't, but the point is that if you use the same track on both sides, set at the same pitch, you'd logically expect the track to play at the same rate on both sides. But it appears to play at a different rate for a few seconds after starting.

As a matter of interest Jules as you obviously like playing with the Cortex how easy is it to replace the start button--my HDC 1000 has a slightly sticky one---thanks

Pretty easy - I can only speak for the HDC3000 as I don't have a HDC1000, but it's basically a lot of screws, some careful unplugging of internal cables and 5mins with a soldering iron. The biggest problem you'll have at the moment if you're after genuine parts is that I have all of the buttons on back order with GCI ;) The buttons are usually only available in bulk because they're designed to be machine assembled, but I did post links to alternatives a while ago. If you're just after a couple of buttons, I could probably post you a pair - or my order to bulk order a load with Farnell and distribute so we can distribute the import charges still stands.

Julian

CRAZY K
17-01-2010, 05:53 PM
If you're just after a couple of buttons, I could probably post you a pair - or my order to bulk order a load with Farnell and distribute so we can distribute the import charges still stands.

Julian

Thanks, maybe worth asking the DJ dealer who sold me my two Cortex for a quote to avoid all the hassle;)

CRAZY K

Excalibur
17-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks, maybe worth asking the DJ dealer who sold me my two Cortex for a quote to avoid all the hassle;)

CRAZY K

The more I look at this button lark, the more I keep wanting to buy a third Cortex, so you could send one off for a button refurb, without losing a playout unit. I think I'll go and lie down till the feeling passes. :D

DJ Jules
17-01-2010, 09:27 PM

Mine quoted £26/hr to do the job, approx 1.5hrs work (which is about right). The big issue is that they'll go back to GCI to get the buttons, and they don't have any at the moment. The next 10 which arrive in the country are mine :)

The more I look at this button lark, the more I keep wanting to buy a third Cortex, so you could send one off for a button refurb, without losing a playout unit. I think I'll go and lie down till the feeling passes. :D

Bizarrely, despite all of the above, my bidding finger started twitching today as there's a HDC1000 come up for sale local to me :D

I might go and buy a CDJ or something to calm it down... ;)

Julian

Excalibur
17-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Bizarrely, despite all of the above, my bidding finger started twitching today as there's a HDC1000 come up for sale local to me :D
Julian

I was watching one in My Ebay, but deleted it to resist temptation. :D :D I'm now saving up for this chuffing amp! ;) :( :( :(