PDA

View Full Version : Seriously need help!!

Jiggles
14-06-2006, 04:05 PM
I have a ceilidh comming up in july for my local scout group. the venue is in a huge farm shed that seriously echo’s is there any way of stopping this from happening.

help will be appreciated.
:)

Paul James Promotions
14-06-2006, 04:43 PM
Yes, black drape the entire room, otherwise, very little you can do....

Jiggles
14-06-2006, 04:45 PM
well i think the shed is about 1/4 of the size of a football pitch roughly

Corabar Entertainment
14-06-2006, 04:47 PM
How about getting loads of bales of hay in there? If it's on a farm, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.... plus it will fit OK will the 'theme' for the evening.

Jiggles
14-06-2006, 04:52 PM
How about getting loads of bales of hay in there? If it's on a farm, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.... plus it will fit OK will the 'theme' for the evening.

ye thats a great idea i would of never of thought of that. :embarasse:embarasse

CRAZY K
14-06-2006, 05:26 PM
Played at a Barn Dance in one of these last Saturday night--when Wolfie has taught me how to upload pictures ill show you what it looked like!

What you need is a Caller with an extremely powerful CLEAR cutting voice who understands because of the echo you need to speak slower than normal ---and a good sound System--bit like me really! :teeth:

OTHERWISE might be difficult.

Good luck with it anyway--theres very little you can do about the acoustics except paragraph 2 above.

So who is the Caller then?

CRAZY K

Jiggles
14-06-2006, 05:29 PM
So who is the Caller then?

CRAZY K

Sorry dont understand

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Sorry dont understand

A caller 'calls' the dance moves and tells you where to stand and move, and how to actually do the dances.

(Although I'm sure Alan will tell you more :) )

Jiggles
14-06-2006, 05:34 PM
AH got you now ill have to speak to my scout master about that one.

i wont be doing it thats for sure dont know and of the steps. :embarasse :embarasse

CRAZY K
14-06-2006, 08:30 PM
I see--your just supplying the Sound system then?

In that case give the Instructor/Caller the best possible equipment and a really good quality microphone---otherwise it will sound awful.

I know--I do this most weeks in the Summer.

CRAZY K

Solitaire Events Ltd
14-06-2006, 10:55 PM
I see--your just supplying the Sound system then?

In that case give the Instructor/Caller the best possible equipment and a really good quality microphone---otherwise it will sound awful.

I know--I do this most weeks in the Summer.

CRAZY K

Do you not take your own mic Alan? :omg:

CRAZY K
15-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Yup Darren,--take the JTS Radio Mike with me when I work on my own or other peoples gear--but not everyone connected with Barn Dancing is as professional and organised as me---or even have a radio mike!

Or in fact have anything like the quality of equipment I use.

I attended (had my arm twisted) to attend a local sort of Folk Dance thing and asked to Call a dance.

The "equipment" was a pair of 12inch speakers circa 1970 with no high frequency units for top end--a record player with scratched LPs and the amp probably some 100 watt thing with not much tone control--the mike--a mufflers special from the 60s or 70s.

This is the kit regularly used by the Caller.

So when I turn up at a gig normally with the brand new Peavey set up with 2 tops and 2 bass bins, 1000 watt mixer amp, JTS radio Mike and some par cans etc it certainly gets noticed! and heard!

Back on this thread---Good Barn blasting equipment :teeth:

No one says--I couldnt hear what you said :teeth: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CRAZY K
Raising standards in Barn Dance!

Have a disco
15-06-2006, 10:44 AM
Yeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhaaaaahhhhh

sounds right fun

musicinmotiondi
15-06-2006, 06:25 PM
Maybe you did not realise what a night like this involved - but not easy and not something i could do I admit.