PDA

View Full Version : Web site Amendments..

Cj_The_Dj
22-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Hi guys have got a college student building me a web site or his portfolio (free of charge).

here is the link so far ( a tester) http://www.fishingrevolution.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.html

hes asked me to be very critical as possible and i have been but I'm unsure what I'm after so can you be as critical as you can and I'll pass it on :)

ppentertainments
22-01-2010, 09:55 PM
First thing that hits is that it is far too dark. I actually only looked for a couple of secs then went back as nothing 'jumped out'.

Vectis
22-01-2010, 10:24 PM
(free of charge).

I should hope so too :eek:

1. That flash animation is really annoying and won't do anything for search engine optimisation bearing in mind the key messages contained therein;

2. Pictures are way too small;

3. Grammar needs some work - eg. "we are known to travel across England to your venue!"

4. Banner too small

5. Phone number spacing

6. No email address?

7. Capitalisation - either do it or don't, but don't mix & match, ie. "Weddings, Dinner & dances, school proms, corporate and birthdays"

8. Looking at the source code:
- get the markup into a standalone CSS file and away from the main HTML file. This will dilute your keywords count.
- META DESCRIPTION missing - that's bad
- resizing images 'on the fly' - don't do it. Adjust them to the size you need them to be.

HTH

Cj_The_Dj
22-01-2010, 10:26 PM
I should hope so too :eek:

i know but he asked me for what i want and basicly i dont know..

A1DL
22-01-2010, 10:46 PM
The home page says you have provided a professional service for the past 10 years. Since the age of 7 ?

Cj_The_Dj
22-01-2010, 10:55 PM
The home page says you have provided a professional service for the past 10 years. Since the age of 7 ?

Well My dad got ill a few years back and i took over the business. I then sold all of his equipment when i had chance. (to make money back from his loss of earnings) and gave it to them.. but i made enough money to buy my own.. but my dad got better, and still loved DJing so basically he works for me now... we both go to every gig.. i did start DJing from the age of 7 doing private gigs mainly friends and families. but when i were 13 i started going to every gig apart from pubs. so my dad has more years but hes had gaps.. he used to DJing night clubs in the 1980's..

i hope this makes sence.... i got my disclexsic report back and found out my reading and writing skills are the same as a 10-11 year old.. :( im not happy.

rob1963
22-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Hi CJ,

The photos seem a bit random, and I think you need a couple more to fill that big blank space between your heading & the text underneath it.

Both phone numbers need spacing to make them easier to read.

Quote: "CJ Entertainment provides a Professional DJ service"
The word professional should not begin with a capital p.

Quote: "We are one of South Yorkshire's premier entertainment providers"
How do you know this? Can you prove it if someone queries this?

Quote: "we aim to tailor every aspect of their evening to your requirements"
I think this should say THE evening, not THEIR evening.

Quote: "For your piece of mind"
This needs changing to "For your PEACE of mind"

Quote: "we have £5million public liability insurance"
You need to make a space between the 5 & the word million.

Hope this helps.

:)

Cj_The_Dj
24-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Its been updated again.. for now apart from bad gramer and that, what could be done to make it look better/pro. ? i am not good at this kind of thing.

thanks for the help :)

discomobiledj
24-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Capital E on England would be a good start!

Until you upload the site to a proper server instead of Blueyonder/Virgin Media then you're going to be really limited as to what you can do.

simonp
25-01-2010, 11:26 AM
CJ - I'd definitely make the phone numbers easier to read by having a couple of spaces in there. Also your area code should have included the '2' after the '4' - like this:

(01142) 499669

and again a space to break up the mobile number to make it easier to digest

07892 619432

rob1963
26-01-2010, 12:04 AM
a space to break up the mobile number to make it easier to digest

07892 619432

Even better, two spaces!

07892 619 432.

:D :D :D

StarZSoundS
26-01-2010, 07:27 AM
i hope this makes sence.... i got my disclexsic report back and found out my reading and writing skills are the same as a 10-11 year old.. :( im not happy.

You stick with it young man....Given the above situation its a fantastic effort.You're doing everything right by looking for advice on here to get the tiny little errors sorted!!;) ;)

Now that is what you call a redheaded Bride.;) :o ;) :o

Cj_The_Dj
08-02-2010, 09:01 PM
right Guys, ive decided not to go with the guy hes let me down...

so im going for it my self. its live www.cj-entertainment.com so any help/advice & criticism is welcomed. :)

discomobiledj
08-02-2010, 09:18 PM
A few things....

Prices Guide - make it Price Guide

also take out the "hours before" and make it "before"

Lose the Hotmail email address!

Cj_The_Dj
08-02-2010, 09:24 PM
A few things....

Prices Guide - make it Price Guide

also take out the "hours before" and make it "before"

Lose the Hotmail email address!

Done

Done

and Done :) any more ??

Solitaire Events Ltd
08-02-2010, 09:26 PM
I don't want to turn this into a pricing thread, but something that stood out to me was the fact that you say you have 20 years experience and yet are charging just over £100 for a Saturday night.

Merely an observation.

rob1963
08-02-2010, 09:27 PM
right Guys, ive decided not to go with the guy hes let me down...

so im going for it my self. its live www.cj-entertainment.com so any help/advice & criticism is welcomed. :)

Hi CJ,

It's okay, although a bit basic.

Most of the text on your home page looks rather familiar, but I don't have a problem with that!

;)

Cj_The_Dj
08-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Hi CJ,

It's okay, although a bit basic.

Most of the text on your home page looks rather familiar, but I don't have a problem with that!

;)

Sorry :( i just cant come uo with my own stuff.. i wouldnt have done it if i was in the same area...

rob1963
08-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Sorry :( i just cant come uo with my own stuff.. i wouldnt have done it if i was in the same area...

CJ, I don't have a problem with you using some of my text.

I'm actually quite flattered that a fair few people want to use various bits from my own site/templates.

:D :D :D

BeerFunk
08-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Hmmm... it's very basic, but tidy and clear enough.

There are a few minor errors I've noticed :

CJ Entertainment provides a Professional DJ service in the Yorkshire & Derbyshire area

We can provied feedback from previous clients. This was received in the form of unsolicited emails.

Below is some Testimonials which was received in the form of unsolicited emails

Also, 'Address' and 'Occassions' are spelt wrong in your contact form, and there are upper/lower case inconsistencies throughout.

The term 'unsolicited emails' is technically correct, but it sounds negative. I'd say something like 'these emails were received unprompted'.

Again, by saying that you have most of the current top 40, I think that is slightly negative, and raises doubts as to which songs out of the top 40 you do have.

Generally it's not too bad though, and if that is your price range then it's good enough to attract enquiries in my opinion :)

rob1963
08-02-2010, 10:09 PM
The term 'unsolicited emails' is technically correct, but it sounds negative.

That phrase was taken from my website, so not surprisingly...I disagree!

:p

BeerFunk
08-02-2010, 10:11 PM
That phrase was taken from my website, so not surprisingly...I disagree!

:pI see, well in my mind, it is nearly always associated with, or better known as spam - which everyone hates! :)

rob1963
08-02-2010, 11:12 PM
I see, well in my mind, it is nearly always associated with, or better known as spam

Not when it appears on a disco website as a description of feedback received from prevous clients, in my opinion.