PDA

View Full Version : dual cd player

gillo
20-06-2006, 06:26 PM
looking to buy a dual cd player dont no which one to choose if anybody is selling one would be happy to take it off their hands

cheers

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-06-2006, 06:27 PM
looking to buy a dual cd player dont no which one to choose if anybody is selling one would be happy to take it off their hands

cheers

Any idea on budget, then perhaps we could give you a few pointers :)

gillo
20-06-2006, 06:30 PM
not sure of budget as in middle of purchasing a new ring i guess 150 pounds

BeerFunk
20-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Well, you won't get Denon at that price (unless you get some DN-1800F's second-hand), so I say get a set of Numark CDN-22.

Many here will disagree, but at the end of the day it's down to the experience of yourself (and others you know). The only brand which everyone will universally agree on is Denon, but your budget won't accomodate that - although even second hand Denons will last longer than a new budget set :)

joburgo
20-06-2006, 07:55 PM

cheers
why not go pc?

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 07:56 PM
why not go pc?
Don't you bloody start! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-06-2006, 07:56 PM
why not go pc?

With a budget of £150? :omg:

dj_ags
20-06-2006, 08:07 PM
Here are a few dual cd systems that are within your price budget of £150

Citronic CD-1.2 (http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/prodpage.asp?prodid=1698)

Numark CDN22 (http://www.decks.co.uk/products/cdplayers/numark/cdn22mk3)

Stanton C-500 (http://www.djsuperstore.co.uk/item/dj-cd-mini-disc-mp3-players/068743-stanton-c-500-twin-cd-player-£149.00)

Hope this helps! Why not have a chat with Phase One DJ Store, im sure he'll point you in the right direction and if you're nice to him, he might give you a discount :teeth:

Wolfie
20-06-2006, 08:16 PM
With a budget of £150? :omg:

second hand desktop PC from ebay... something like a 400mhz Compaq or an old laptop for about £100 from a computer fayre & a cheap DJ package such as Virtual DJ (my copy cost me £2 from the bargain bucket in Staples) or something like PCDJ Silver or you may be able to pick up PCDJ Red such as 5.0 or 5.1 for next to nothing if you know a shop that sells PCDJ (try DJ shops) products or PCDJ blue which would only cost around £50 for a non VRM version these days.

you should be able to build a starter kit well within your £150 budget.

Corabar Entertainment
20-06-2006, 08:21 PM
But, unless someone really knew what they were doing computer-wise, would you recommend that they bought a second-hand one for DJing? :omg:

Wolfie
20-06-2006, 08:22 PM
not really, but it just proves it is possible to get going in the world of Digital playout on a tight budget.

A1DL
20-06-2006, 08:52 PM
and what about the cost of the Digital DJ Licence?
that's more than the £150 budget on it's own :mad:

Wolfie
20-06-2006, 08:55 PM

but if you read the news you would know. you may not need one once we know & understand what the BPI ruling is all about & what the gowers report will entail.

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-06-2006, 08:55 PM
And the thread starter wanted to know about CD players with a budget of £150, if I recall correctly...

joburgo
20-06-2006, 08:56 PM
Don't you bloody start! :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:
just offering advice it is allowed is it not :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

colinm345
20-06-2006, 08:56 PM

Good point but i believe moves are afoot to bring the cost of it down
However if you play at a wedding or private party you wont need it anyway

joburgo
20-06-2006, 08:59 PM
But, unless someone really knew what they were doing computer-wise, would you recommend that they bought a second-hand one for DJing? :omg:
definately. :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Good point but i believe moves are afoot to bring the cost of it down
However if you play at a wedding or private party you wont need it anyway

If you are just using downloads and not ripped CDs.

Corabar Entertainment
20-06-2006, 09:10 PM
STOP!!!!!!! :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: Re-wind :) :) Let's not hijack this thread with the licence issue again, folks.

Shall we get back on topic then? :teeth:

Wolfie
20-06-2006, 09:17 PM
And the thread starter wanted to know about CD players with a budget of £150, if I recall correctly...

and the point was raised by yourself that a budget of £150 would not be enough to go to a digital playout system, to which i responded.

the original point regarding CD players had already been addressed.

ian8limelight
20-06-2006, 09:17 PM
STOP!!!!!!! :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: :omg: Re-wind :) :) Let's not hijack this thread with the licence issue again, folks.

HOOOOOOOOORAH ................... another topic gets the CD's vs PC treatment !!!!!!!!!!!!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ...... just like England's defending for the second goal !

(sorry, I'm going off thread now !)

colinm345
20-06-2006, 09:21 PM

SECONDED

ian8limelight
20-06-2006, 09:21 PM
SECONDED

THIRDED

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 09:26 PM
So CDN 22s are quite good, don't know about the others

Wolfie
20-06-2006, 09:26 PM
no football either please.

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 09:30 PM
no football either please.
Hello, I'd already got it back on topic without your help thanks! :teeth:

I'm probably going to get shot down in flames by some for this but Gemini do some decent budget CD player (look at that back on topic again :teeth: )

BeerFunk
20-06-2006, 09:32 PM
If it was me, without a doubt I'd look out a second hand set of Denon 1800f's. Extremely good build quality, reads all CDs you throw at it, fast response times on the buttons - the best entry level rackmount CD players you can get.

ian8limelight
20-06-2006, 09:32 PM

I'm probably going to get shot down in flames by some for this but Gemini do some decent budget CD player (look at that back on topic again :teeth: )

I'll bow to your better knowldege there, having never used any of their CD players. Any particular model ?

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Not sure of the price but MP3000X is quite a nice player, probably more than £150

Yep just googled it £399.95 was the first one I came to. They do have cheaper ones.

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-06-2006, 09:43 PM
If it was me, without a doubt I'd look out a second hand set of Denon 1800f's. Extremely good build quality, reads all CDs you throw at it, fast response times on the buttons - the best entry level rackmount CD players you can get.

I used Denon 2100s as a back up (until last week) and they were very good too.

Lots of clever features on them which I didn't really go into enough, but sampling the whole disc, so that it's buffered all the time, I thought was very clever.

colinm345
20-06-2006, 09:43 PM

Come on Steve lighten up :) :)

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 09:45 PM
:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

colinm345
20-06-2006, 09:57 PM
Thats better,but only just

Corabar Steve
20-06-2006, 10:02 PM
:teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth::teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth: :teeth:

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Ooh that hurts my eyes...

A1DL
20-06-2006, 10:04 PM
Definitely worth looking out for a secondhand Denon, there's quite a few for sale on Ebay as people upgrade to newer models.

The Denons are built to last, we still have one of the original DN2000Fs still going strong after 12 years! You wouldn't get that from a Newmark or Gemini!

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-06-2006, 10:06 PM
Definitely worth looking out for a secondhand Denon, there's quite a few for sale on Ebay as people upgrade to newer models.

The Denons are built to last, we still have one of the original DN2000Fs still going strong after 12 years! You wouldn't get that from a Newmark or Gemini!

But will people still be using CD players in 12 years though :omg:

ALRIGHT I WAS JOKING - DON'T START THAT AGAIN! :teeth:

BeerFunk
20-06-2006, 10:07 PM
I used Denon 2100s as a back up (until last week) and they were very good too.

Lots of clever features on them which I didn't really go into enough, but sampling the whole disc, so that it's buffered all the time, I thought was very clever.

If they're your 'backup' set, I'd love to see your main players!? :D

And it doesn't actually sample the whole disc, only bits that you make memo/cue points at - but still technically impressive :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
20-06-2006, 10:13 PM
If they're your 'backup' set, I'd love to see your main players!? :D

And it doesn't actually sample the whole disc, only bits that you make memo/cue points at - but still technically impressive :)

As I said, I didn't play around with them much, in fact it was someone else who told me they sample the whole disc...

My main players are computers, hence the CD for backup, which I've now also got rid of (well in a case in the garage anyway) as I've bought a backup laptop and put just the mixer and DAC-2 in the Kamcase.

It's soooooo much lighter now :)

A1DL
20-06-2006, 10:15 PM
I believe the later models sample a greater part of the track, on the DND9000, the drives are higher speed and sample a large amount of the tune, the scratch, dump, reverse play and platter mode functions are alld ependent on this functionality.

Can't beat a Denon!

Wolfie
20-06-2006, 10:32 PM

Here we go again with the "buy Denon, Buy JBL" etc Why do people always insist everyone has to buy top makes when they obviously don't have top makes money.

if the guy has £150 to spend, regardless of what is out there you are looking in the region of the Gemini / Kam / Numark territory & i'd sooner spend £150 on a brand new player with a warranty & aftersales than spend £150 on a clapped out old machine that will probably not last that long before it needs a good overhaul - which is not cheap - as it has been in a club used 7 nights a week for the past 10 years & flogged to death!

Also on the subject of cheap entry level players, as i've said before many times.. many of the players are exactly the same & made in the same factory in China. It's no good saying the KAM KCD 880 is better than the Soundlab CDJ210 or the Numark CDN 22 is better than the Stanton S550 or the Stageline CDJ260 as they are pretty much the exact same player apart from the badge, the colourscheme & the box it comes in.

BeerFunk
20-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Wolfie - if the players have been in a club for years you would know. The buttons and paintwork would be faded for a start. Denon's will last years, take my word for that.

A1DL
20-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Wolfie

you have missed the point, my friend.

Read the thread again - I was not refering to kit that has been ripped out of nightclubs, I was refering to the many bargains that one often sees, where a mobile DJ who works once or twice a week upgrades to a newer model, or has converted to digital, and it is possible to pick up a decent entry level twin Denon secondhand within that budget.

It's not about "buy Denon, buy JBL" at all, but there is more to life and DJing than Kam and Skytec!

I hope that clarifies.

Wolfie
21-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Wolfie

you have missed the point, my friend.

Read the thread again - I was not refering to kit that has been ripped out of nightclubs, I was refering to the many bargains that one often sees, where a mobile DJ who works once or twice a week upgrades to a newer model, or has converted to digital, and it is possible to pick up a decent entry level twin Denon secondhand within that budget.

It's not about "buy Denon, buy JBL" at all, but there is more to life and DJing than Kam and Skytec!

I hope that clarifies.

I'm not missing the point at all, when you have a limited budget it's pointless telling people to buy Denon's when they clearly can't afford Denon to start with.

Yes you may be able to pick up a DND2000 off ebay for £100 but if the thing comes to you & you find the CD loading mechanism is worn out you may of been better to buy a set of cheapies as it will cost you the price of the cheapies to repair, also a set of new lasers for the Denon's will cost you £160 to replace... so your nice cheap bargain basement denons end up costing a fortune & your outlay may well end up being 2 or 3 times more than you paid. Sometimes the after sales service is worth more than the actual machine.

Yes we'd all like Denon, but i look at it this way, If i was doing an install in a bar I run i'd go for Denons, but as what most of us do is mobile work then I just can't see the point as the equipment is going to be bashed around, have drunks poor lager into it etc etc.

A1DL
21-06-2006, 09:31 AM
I just can't see the point as the equipment is going to be bashed around, have drunks poor lager into it etc etc.

Is Stoke on Trent really THAT bad, Wolfie?

We do 1,000 functions a year, lots of these are in and around London & the suburbs, and I can honestly say I have no reports of lager being poured into kit.

Also, if you flight case your equipment, it will survive the rigours of the road.

Wolfie
21-06-2006, 09:42 AM
We do 1,000 functions a year,

how do you find the time to come on the forums then? :D

soundtracker
21-06-2006, 10:04 AM
Probably because he employs a good few DJs?
We've had this debate many times about cheap entry level kit and the more decent stuff. IMHO (and it is only that) buying cheapo kit is a false economy. My Denon deck is approaching four years old, is in excellent nick, because it is flight-cased, cleaned regularly, and kept well away from the lager swilling peasantry. Yes it took a couple of gigs to pay for it, but it has repaid me with years of sterling service. I'm in a bit of a quandry at the moment as to whether to upgrade to the latest Denon model, or to explore the mysteries of digital DJing(NO ADVICE REQUIRED THANKS!), but even if I do make this leap of faith, my back-up will be a Denon, because it is fully trustworthy.
If you're a starting out DJ my advice would be buy the best that you can afford, don't compromise on the tools of your trade. If you can't afford to buy the best- then wait until you can- theres plently of places that'll hire you some kit to tide you over.

Corabar Steve
21-06-2006, 11:07 AM
how do you find the time to come on the forums then? :D
You know full well that A1DL is a large company

Solitaire Events Ltd
21-06-2006, 11:08 AM
I'm in a bit of a quandry at the moment as to whether to upgrade to the latest Denon model, or to explore the mysteries of digital DJing(NO ADVICE REQUIRED THANKS!)

Are you sure? :teeth:

soundtracker
21-06-2006, 11:18 AM
Oh yes!

soundtracker
21-06-2006, 11:18 AM
But if I need any, you will be my first port of call Mate!

ian8limelight
21-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Probably because he employs a good few DJs?
We've had this debate many times about cheap entry level kit and the more decent stuff. IMHO (and it is only that) buying cheapo kit is a false economy. My Denon deck is approaching four years old, is in excellent nick, because it is flight-cased, cleaned regularly, and kept well away from the lager swilling peasantry. Yes it took a couple of gigs to pay for it, but it has repaid me with years of sterling service. I'm in a bit of a quandry at the moment as to whether to upgrade to the latest Denon model, or to explore the mysteries of digital DJing(NO ADVICE REQUIRED THANKS!), but even if I do make this leap of faith, my back-up will be a Denon, because it is fully trustworthy.
If you're a starting out DJ my advice would be buy the best that you can afford, don't compromise on the tools of your trade. If you can't afford to buy the best- then wait until you can- theres plently of places that'll hire you some kit to tide you over.

"Hear, hear" !!!!!!!!!!

Similar quandry to me but I still don't fully trust PC's therefore went for the DN-D6000 ......... and was not disappointed.

Alex - Cream Ents
21-06-2006, 07:19 PM
I would say a set of well looked after Denon 1800F second hand would be a good bet (as I have a set)! Play anything you put in and very solid / reliable.

Numark CDN 22's - decent new budget players, slow and struggle with some CD-r's but best value for the money IMO.

Avoid Citronic CD players - slow loading time and don't read CD-r's, well they do sometimes but only if they feel like it...avoid.

Corabar Steve
21-06-2006, 07:25 PM
I would say a set of well looked after Denon 1800F second hand would be a good bet (as I have a set)! Play anything you put in and very solid / reliable.

Numark CDN 22's - decent new budget players, slow and struggle with some CD-r's but best value for the money IMO.

Avoid Citronic CD players - slow loading time and don't read CD-r's, well they do sometimes but only if they feel like it...avoid.I've never had a problem with my CD2 that I bought off Daz (Solitare Entertainments Ltd) reading CDRs or for that matter to my knowlege none of our DJs that use CDN 22s hae had problems either. I suppose thing like this could be down to batches?

dj_ags
21-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Other dual cd players that are under £200 include:

Kam KCD-990 (http://www.djsuperstore.co.uk/item/dj-cd-mini-disc-mp3-players/066024-kam-kcd-990-twin-cd-player-£179.00)

Gemini CD-200 (http://www.decks.co.uk/products/cdplayers/gemini/cd200)

Citronic CD-1X (http://www.decks.co.uk/products/cdplayers/citronic/cd1x)

American Audio DCD 310 (http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/prodpage.asp?prodid=1704)

Kam KCD 1000 (http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/prodpage.asp?prodid=1691)

Citronic CD-4.2 (http://www.djanddiscostuff.com/prodpage.asp?prodid=1695)

Alex - Cream Ents
21-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Not sure on that one Steve, other DJ's have mentioned the problem with the Citronics. We have a set that tend to only be used as "spares" or for very basic hires etc.

Corabar Steve
21-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Not sure on that one Steve, other DJ's have mentioned the problem with the Citronics. We have a set that tend to only be used as "spares" or for very basic hires etc.
I use mine week in week out, 2-3 nights a week along with a Gemini twin deck (I like to use 4 decks at any one time) & as I say, never had a problem. I don't know how long Daz had it for , but I've had it over a year now.

Alex - Cream Ents
21-06-2006, 07:43 PM
How strange! As it was not isolated to 1 set or DJ, I assumed the issue was "widespread" as it were.