PDA

View Full Version : Find me this...Succesful claim against DJ.

StarZSoundS
15-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Ok....I am a fully paid up member of the PLI soceity.....so i'm not trying to raise any issues.

As a bit of fun try to find a link to a Newspaper story or incident where a DJ has been succesfully prosecuted for injuring someone owing to defective equipment.

I couldn't find any!!:) :) :) :) :D :D :D

It could be faulty electrical goods....gear toppling over....anything....

Like I said....bit of fun!!;)

Vectis
15-02-2010, 04:12 PM
Doesn't need to be a successful claim to rack up large costs.

Page 1 of Google turns up this guy who claims to have "successfully defended ... entertainers in various premises liability/negligence actions.
http://www.quarles.com/attorneys/detail.aspx?attorney=1286

So who paid for the lawyer?

Then there's the Ozone fire which was allegedly started by disco equipment - 160 dead.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_Disco_Club_fire

And that's without digging.

Corabar Entertainment
15-02-2010, 04:34 PM
....and in any event, why would you expect an insurance claim specifically regarding DJs to make the papers when insurance claims of any other type don't? :confused:

You appear to be getting your civil and criminal cases confused ("prosecuted"?)

Excalibur
15-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Best I can do so far. :(

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21599495/
http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/74328-dentists-disco-dancing-drill-danger

Megamix
15-02-2010, 04:49 PM
All insurance is based on fear

soundtracker
15-02-2010, 06:19 PM
I know of two claims from my time with NADJ but cannot discuss due to data protection act.

StarZSoundS
15-02-2010, 06:53 PM
....and in any event, why would you expect an insurance claim specifically regarding DJs to make the papers when insurance claims of any other type don't? :confused:

You appear to be getting your civil and criminal cases confused ("prosecuted"?)

I'm not particularly homing in on Insurance claims.A friend of mine lost her son when some council goalposts fell on him.I'm looking for similair examples of fatal or near fatal incidents that are as a direct result of faulty Disco equipment.

Doesn't need to be a successful claim to rack up large costs.

Page 1 of Google turns up this guy who claims to have "successfully defended ... entertainers in various premises liability/negligence actions.
http://www.quarles.com/attorneys/detail.aspx?attorney=1286

So who paid for the lawyer?

Then there's the Ozone fire which was allegedly started by disco equipment - 160 dead.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozone_Disco_Club_fire

And that's without digging.

Ozone.....big case....but only alledgedly!!

Best I can do so far. :(

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21599495/
http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/74328-dentists-disco-dancing-drill-danger

Pierre......behave please!!

Mmmmm....interesting!!

I know of two claims from my time with NADJ but cannot discuss due to data protection act.

I work in similair circumstance in the daytime.....so understand!!

I'm sure all of us set up here with due dilligence.But why aren't there more of our £60 Sids setting customers on fire!!

Haven't had a good example yet!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-02-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm sure all of us set up here with due dilligence.But why aren't there more of our £60 Sids setting customers on fire!!

Is this whole thread trying to justify the fact that there hasn't be any major claims so therefore we don't need PLI?

CRAZY K
15-02-2010, 07:33 PM

Complete cobblers!!!!

CRAZY K

StarZSoundS
15-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Is this whole thread trying to justify the fact that there hasn't be any major claims so therefore we don't need PLI?

Not at all ....I thought my opening post made that clear???:eek: :eek:

I have mine in place with Liability Guard.....

More of a case of discussing what has gone wrong ...rather than what might go wrong!!;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-02-2010, 07:41 PM
Not at all ....I thought my opening post made that clear???:eek: :eek:

You said the thread was for a 'bit of fun'.

Personally, I don't find insurance fun or entertaining.

spin mobile disco
15-02-2010, 07:55 PM

Not a fan of Jasper Carrott then? I love his insuarnce claims sketch.

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Not a fan of Jasper Carrott then?

He's OK, but that's not what we are talking about there though. ;)

Corabar Entertainment
15-02-2010, 07:59 PM
As a bit of fun try to find a link to a Newspaper story or incident....

...Like I said....bit of fun!!;)

....A friend of mine lost her son when some council goalposts fell on him.I'm looking for similair examples of fatal or near fatal incidents ....

Your idea of 'fun' leaves a lot to be desired. :mad: ...I'm sure your 'friend' would greatly appreciate your sympathy.

StarZSoundS
15-02-2010, 08:20 PM

I say again its you thats homed in on the insurance side.....I'm more interested in what has ACTUALLY gone wrong when someone is performing so that we can avoid the same pitfalls.:eek: :eek:

Your idea of 'fun' leaves a lot to be desired. :mad: ...I'm sure your 'friend' would greatly appreciate your sympathy.

Whilst I accept you never really get over that sort of thing it was 35 years ago and I was using it to illustrate that that is the type of thing does happen and get reported....which was the original point of the thread....

I'm not sure but in another thread someone was asking playfully for some lights to borrow to drop onto another forum member in an experiment....so maybe I should question their idea of fun??:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I certainly didn't come on to the forum tonight in an aggressive mode.....Delete the thread if its causing offence:confused:

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-02-2010, 08:22 PM
It's not causing me offence, but I do find it rather pointless and fairly tasteless.

There again, I should be used to your threads by now.....:sj:

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Whilst I accept you never really get over that sort of thing it was 35 years ago and I was using it to illustrate that that is the type of thing does happen and get reported....which was the original point of the thread....

And that's fun is it? :confused:

Corabar Entertainment
15-02-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm not sure but in another thread someone was asking playfully for some lights to borrow to drop onto another forum member in an experiment....so maybe I should question their idea of fun??:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ...and if you can't see the difference in what you have said on this thread and what I said in another, then we really do have a serious problem
It's not causing me offence, but I do find it rather pointless and fairly tasteless.Change 'fairly' to 'extremely', and I agree :approve:

Excalibur
15-02-2010, 08:39 PM
It's not causing me offence, but I do find it rather pointless and fairly tasteless.

There again, I should be used to your threads by now.....:sj:

Change 'fairly' to 'extremely', and I agree :approve:
Err, if I put words into Martin's mouth, does it help? I think I can see where he's coming from in a blindingly tactless and suicidal way.

Quote edited by me.

Ok....I am a fully paid up member of the PLI soceity.....so i'm not trying to raise any issues.

Out of curiosity, please try to find a link to a Newspaper story or incident where a DJ has been succesfully prosecuted for injuring someone owing to defective equipment.

I'm interested to know how widespread the problem may be, and whether we may perhaps give it undue emphasis?

It could be faulty electrical goods....gear toppling over....anything....

Like I said....I really am interested to see how many instances there are.

Any better? :confused:

StarZSoundS
15-02-2010, 08:40 PM
...and if you can't see the difference in what you have said on this thread and what I said in another, then we really do have a serious problemChange 'fairly' to 'extremely', and I agree :approve:

:ontopic:

If I'm allowed to suggest that to you two.....unless kicking StarZSounds to death is on the agenda.

Tasteless as it may seem (and we do do tasteless on here contrary to popular belief) do we have any examples of party guests ACTUALLY being injured by DJ's.

I'm not asking out of any Ghoulish interest....i'm asking because I want examples of things ACTUALLY going wrong ....instead of what might go wrong.

Excalibur
15-02-2010, 08:46 PM

If I'm allowed to suggest that to you two.....unless kicking StarZSounds to death is on the agenda.

Tasteless as it may seem (and we do do tasteless on here contrary to popular belief) do we have any examples of party guests ACTUALLY being injured by DJ's.

I'm not asking out of any Ghoulish interest....i'm asking because I want examples of things ACTUALLY going wrong ....instead of what might go wrong.

A fortnight ago, a Lady punter climbed onto the stage to whisper in my ear ( they'd not put any steps out) and hauled herself up by my Ultimax Curtain. It fell off, as did she. That count? :confused:

Corabar Steve
15-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Having read this thread from the start again, I have to say I also find it totally distasteful.

StarZSoundS
15-02-2010, 08:53 PM
A fortnight ago, a Lady punter climbed onto the stage to whisper in my ear ( they'd not put any steps out) and hauled herself up by my Ultimax Curtain. It fell off, as did she. That count? :confused:

Not exactly what I was thinking of Peter ....but never mind;) :eek:

Having read this thread from the start again, I have to say I also find it totally distasteful.

Thats because you are reading it wrong....even with Peters helpful edits.Your post was............................................... ......predictable;)

Corabar Entertainment
15-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Err, if I put words into Martin's mouthI didn't put ANY words in his mouth. They are his own words. Quite clearly you don't find it distasteful, and that's your opinion, but I'm afraid that I do not find people wanting stories of near fatalities is a bit of fun, and I'd kindly appreciate it if you didn't suggest that I am putting words into his mouth. I am entitled to my opinion too, and I'm entitled to express it. :Censored:

If I'm allowed to suggest that to you two.....unless kicking StarZSounds to death is on the agenda.Kicking you to death? Because I find your whole take on this distasteful and tell you so? :bang:

Excalibur
15-02-2010, 08:58 PM
I didn't put ANY words in his mouth.

Angela, I never implied you were. I meant I had. Grovelling apologetic PM sent. :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Corabar Steve
15-02-2010, 08:59 PM
Thats because you are reading it wrong....even with Peters helpful edits.Your post was............................................... ......predictable;)
So as well as eing a 70s throw back you are also a mind reader are you???

Excalibur
15-02-2010, 09:03 PM
So as well as eing a 70s throw back you are also a mind reader are you???

Would that I were. :( Has Angela calmed down to Simmer yet? :sofa:

StarZSoundS
15-02-2010, 09:04 PM
I didn't put ANY words in his mouth. They are his own words. Quite clearly you don't find it distasteful, and that's your opinion, but I'm afraid that I do not find people wanting stories of near fatalities is a bit of fun, and I'd kindly appreciate it if you didn't suggest that I am putting words into his mouth. I am entitled to my opinion too, and I'm entitled to express it. :Censored:

Even I can see that was not what Peter was doing....he was sticking up for me who gets a regular kicking....sometimes justly...and sometimes unjustly.

However he was clearly trying to put words into my mouths(which doesn't offend me..... because I think he is quality) to try and make you see what the point of the thread was.He wasn't accusing you of anything:eek: :eek:

But your failure to grasp what Peter was trying to do just goes to show that you don't always get things right also..... just 99% of the time;) ;) ;)

Corabar Steve
15-02-2010, 09:05 PM
I wasn't asking you Peter.

We all know you've got crystal balls :sj:

rob1963
15-02-2010, 09:06 PM

No wonder he walks funny!

:D

Corabar Entertainment
15-02-2010, 09:08 PM
I do not claim to get everything right... never have.

For the record: I apologise to Peter for mis-interpreting his post :rose:

StarZSoundS
15-02-2010, 09:15 PM
So as well as eing a 70s throw back

There are some on here that thinks that offends me....but really it doesn't.....I would have said.

Anyway...there are too many people slagging each other off and sticking up for each other in this thread ......I'm dizzy:D :D :D :D

Lets move off of an unimportant thread of how not to injure our guests and move back to another much more important one..... like what colour socks you wear!!:confused: :confused:

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Lets move off of an unimportant thread of how not to injure our guests

You use common sense, do a risk assessment and have appropriate insurance.

Next....

StarZSoundS
15-02-2010, 09:23 PM

That was big off you Angie;) ;)

In fact another step and it would have been VERY big of you:) :) :) :)

ppentertainments
15-02-2010, 09:24 PM
The most useless thread of the day award goes to ...........................:D :p :D

Corabar Entertainment
15-02-2010, 09:27 PM

In fact another step and it would have been VERY big of you:) :) :) :)Martin.... BACK OFF NOW! :Censored:

Excalibur
15-02-2010, 09:29 PM

Wouldn't have had if Barnet was nearer Yorkshire. :o

I do not claim to get everything right... never have.

Not needed, but thank you.

In fact another step and it would have been VERY big of you:) :) :) :)

Martin, in a spirit of evenhandedness, I have to say that was one quip too many. :Naughty: Doesn't help your case at all. :(

Corabar Steve
15-02-2010, 09:45 PM
There are some on here that thinks that offends me....I don't, but then I actually bother to read posts

Anyway...there are too many people slagging each other off and sticking up for each other in this thread ......I'm dizzy:D :D :D :D I haven't slagged anyone off or stuck up for anyone. Just voiced MY opinion.

Lets move off of an unimportant thread of how not to injure our guests and move back to another much more important one..... like what colour socks you wear!!:confused: :confused:I've not actually seen a thread on how not to injure guests. Maybe somebody ought to start one. Could prevent somebody having a claim made aginst them.

rob1963
15-02-2010, 09:48 PM
I've not actually seen a thread on how not to injure guests.

Not turning up is probably the best way!

:D

Corabar Entertainment
15-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Not turning up is probably the best way!

:DAh, but if the DJ didn't turn up, that might lead to the guests at the event trying to cobble something together at the last minute, and they could injure themselves carrying the stuff in, or electrocute themselves putting together / using the gear.... or the guests might hit the poor makeshift DJ trying to do his best without any knowledge or experience :p :p :p

Corabar Steve
15-02-2010, 09:51 PM
....or you might get sued for breach of contract :sj:

rob1963
15-02-2010, 09:52 PM
Ah, but if the DJ didn't turn up, that might lead to the guests at the event trying to cobble something together at the last minute, and they could injure themselves carrying the stuff in, or electrocute themselves putting together / using the gear.... or the guests might hit the poor makeshift DJ trying to do his best without any knowledge or experience :p :p :p

Very true, but it's still the best way for US to avoid injuring guests!

:D :D :D

Corabar Entertainment
15-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Very true, but it's still the best way for US to avoid injuring guests!

:D :D :DBut the non-appearing DJ would be MORALLY responsible :D

Corabar Steve
15-02-2010, 09:54 PM
I just read that as morally reprehensible

Corabar Entertainment
15-02-2010, 09:55 PM
:lol: ...That too!

StarZSoundS
15-02-2010, 10:08 PM
I've not actually seen a thread on how not to injure guests. Maybe somebody ought to start one.

If you are being serious then that was my intention................

Looking at how it had gone wrong previously for other DJ'S might have been a good start??It is unlikely that anyone on here has been in a major incident so I mentioned the Newspapers to get a global feel for it!!

I wasn't hoping to see a picture of someone sprawled under 12 Impossibleds.I will say it again....i'm interested in what has gone wrong....not what MIGHT go wrong??;)

NKR
15-02-2010, 10:10 PM
Nice to see everyone is playing nice tonight.

In response to the opening of this thread. I have a singer friend (not Kev another one) who was working with a DJ and his speaker tripod buckled throwing the speaker into his lighting stand, which toppled over and crush the cake, which was adjacent to some 10 to 12 year olds at the time.

No such injury, bar cake, but a close run thing. She is a fairly reliable source so I can only assume its true. Very easy thing to happen when folk are using cheap stands.

NKR
15-02-2010, 10:12 PM
I wasn't hoping to see a picture of someone sprawled under 12 Impossibleds.

Don't tell me - Pridders bought some bigger truss???? ;)

StarZSoundS
15-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Nice to see everyone is playing nice tonight.

In response to the opening of this thread. I have a singer friend (not Kev another one) who was working with a DJ and his speaker tripod buckled throwing the speaker into his lighting stand, which toppled over and crush the cake, which was adjacent to some 10 to 12 year olds at the time.

No such injury, bar cake, but a close run thing. She is a fairly reliable source so I can only assume its true. Very easy thing to happen when folk are using cheap stands.

Thanks Mate.....It only took 47 posts!!!!:D :D :D

Its a start!!(Not exactly Look North type material....but it'll do.)

Lesson 1.
Make sure your speaker tripod is not supporting speakers that are too heavy as they may buckle and fall into your guests.;)

Solitaire Events Ltd
15-02-2010, 10:22 PM
Lesson 1.
Make sure your speaker tripod is not supporting speakers that are too heavy as they may buckle and fall into your guests.;)

Lesson 1.

You use common sense, do a risk assessment and have appropriate insurance.

NKR
15-02-2010, 10:31 PM
The thing about common sense is it's not as common as one would be lead to believe.

rob1963
15-02-2010, 10:59 PM
The thing about common sense is it's not as common as one would be lead to believe.

That's the truest thing I've seen on the forum today.

:agree:

soundtracker
15-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Don't use a ladder placed on top of your speakers to suspend your lights from! There you are, you can have that one for free! And yes, I have seen it!

Babybob
16-02-2010, 06:39 PM
Having read the thread and the usual :Censored: that Martin gets when he posts something I think I can see where he is coming from.

As there are 100's, maybe 1000's of Sid's out there with no PLI or PAT it is maybe surprising to find that we don't hear of any accidents or fatalities (thank God) in the local or National press, so do any accidents occur, are they more regular than we think.

If there were more accidents reported (minor hopefully) would it increase the chances of further regulation to weed out the Sid's, forget the point that no-one wants to see major accidents/fatalities it's the point that we use potentially life threatening equipment but so far there has not been any regular episodes of accidents reported....luck or something else...I don't know.

If i'm wrong about the crux of the OP then feel free to delete the post as I don't want to cause any ill feeling to any of the members regarding my comments.

:)

StarZSoundS
16-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Having read the thread and the usual :Censored: that Martin gets when he posts something I think I can see where he is coming from.

As there are 100's, maybe 1000's of Sid's out there with no PLI or PAT it is maybe surprising to find that we don't hear of any accidents or fatalities (thank God) in the local or National press, so do any accidents occur, are they more regular than we think.

If there were more accidents reported (minor hopefully) would it increase the chances of further regulation to weed out the Sid's, forget the point that no-one wants to see major accidents/fatalities it's the point that we use potentially life threatening equipment but so far there has not been any regular episodes of accidents reported....luck or something else...I don't know.

If i'm wrong about the crux of the OP then feel free to delete the post as I don't want to cause any ill feeling to any of the members regarding my comments.

:)

Thanks for that Rob...I tried so hard to word the OP so carefully.

You were quite right in your reading of my original post.If you took the number of DJ's in Britain alone(we only have a tiny fraction on here) and multiplied that figure by the number of hours they work then the amount of reportable incidents is microscopic.....(couldn't spell infantissimal).

Don't worry about me mate....I have a thick skin and the odd PM I get telling me i'm ok....keeps me going!!:beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1: :beer1:

BeerFunk
16-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Reading between the lines, it appears to me that this thread was started with the aim of undermining the importance of having PLI.

'There have been no £Million cases brought against DJs, no-one has died, so why do we need PLI?'

Yet another shot at the professional DJ working in the higher price bracket of the market.

StarZSoundS
16-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Reading between the lines, it appears to me that this thread was started with the aim of undermining the importance of having PLI.

'There have been no £Million cases brought against DJs, no-one has died, so why do we need PLI?'

Yet another shot at the professional DJ working in the higher price bracket of the market.

500% WRONG.....:eek:

Only a fool would ridicule a product on the market.....When they have :Censored: purchased it!!:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Please don't start me off again......

DeckstarDeluxe
16-02-2010, 07:26 PM

In all fairness I dont think it was Martins intention to say that but you'd be pretty short sighted not to expect a few people to take that away from this thread.

Im covered, always have been always will be. Wouldnt want to be the first dj collared now......

StarZSoundS
16-02-2010, 07:33 PM

So why critiscize the OP for saying what its not....

When post number 5 blatantly says what you're trying to read in the opening post....without reservation.

Sorry Magicmusic...wanting to make a point!!

Babybob
16-02-2010, 07:36 PM

It's amazing how peoples perception of a thread differs, not a dig just an observation.
My opinion on whether your not sure on what the OP means would be to ask before you slaughter him/her, which is certainly the case sometimes.
It's happened to me in the past when a post was severely misconstrued so it's easily done.

spin mobile disco
16-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Ok attempt for back on topic. Did that problem with the woman who claimed she had been blinded/eye damage from someones acme dynamos come to anything? I think it ran as a post about a year ago.

Also what about the laser show in russia that blinded 30 people would that count?

NKR
16-02-2010, 07:40 PM

I don't think so. The point is what accidents are you aware of or can you find. And its not in a lets see if we can find a picture of a speaker stuck in someones head kind of way.

Its a kind of health and safety for dummies.

Here is the way I take it.

You never really seem to come across many PLI claims, hence its so flipping cheap for such large cover. Go and get a quote to cover a car for 1 million or more and see if you can get it for £60 a year.

However, there must be accidents happening so is there a correlation between those having accidents and those with PLI. I would suggest those that run a bad set up are more likely to come a cropper and less likely to have PLI, which is why we don't see so many claims in the system.

The more interesting second phase of discussion would be how many claims are succesfully defended as the claimant can be found to be intoxicated or negligent in their actions. A whole new route of discussion.

StarZSoundS
16-02-2010, 07:51 PM
I don't think so. The point is what accidents are you aware of or can you find. And its not in a lets see if we can find a picture of a speaker stuck in someones head kind of way.

Its a kind of health and safety for dummies.

Here is the way I take it.

You never really seem to come across many PLI claims, hence its so flipping cheap for such large cover. Go and get a quote to cover a car for 1 million or more and see if you can get it for £60 a year.

However, there must be accidents happening so is there a correlation between those having accidents and those with PLI. I would suggest those that run a bad set up are more likely to come a cropper and less likely to have PLI, which is why we don't see so many claims in the system.

The more interesting second phase of discussion would be how many claims are succesfully defended as the claimant can be found to be intoxicated or negligent in their actions. A whole new route of discussion.

Theres a lot to go on there Neil..........;)