PDA

View Full Version : Behringer Ultra Curve Pro

Dial a disco.co.uk
21-06-2006, 09:49 PM
I read in a book that a mobile dj should invest in a Behringer Ultra Curve Pro to improve sound output. anyone got one?

Corabar Steve
21-06-2006, 09:52 PM
Don't believe everything you read in books!

Wolfie
21-06-2006, 09:56 PM
I had an ultra curve...

great for music bars when you have different bands, not much use for mobile work.

In fact that's a lie. it was vry handy for mobile stuff, just a very fiddly bit of aparatus that after 3 or 4 gigs i got sick of tying to set-up as it took an hour to set the ultracurve, where doing an EQ by ear could take 10 minutes.

Paul James Promotions
21-06-2006, 09:56 PM
If you need to use equipment like the UltraCurve, there is something wrong with your system.

Corabar Steve
21-06-2006, 09:57 PM
See!

Wolfie
21-06-2006, 09:57 PM
If you need to use equipment like the UltraCurve, there is something wrong with your system.

i had the same impression.

Dial a disco.co.uk
21-06-2006, 10:24 PM
thanks yes will not get one. to be honest i had never heard if them before i read the book.

Wolfie
21-06-2006, 10:27 PM
Only reason i bought mine was because a mate had one & was raving about his & i thought it sounded like the answer to all my prayers.. i soon sold mine though to some other unsuspecting mug... i mean careful owner!

Groove Spinner
21-06-2006, 11:26 PM
Used properly, they're great! Just set a suitable mic up in the middle of the room and let the system EQ the room automatically. It certainly improves the sound no end. However, it doesn't get rid of the DJ's main EQ problem - the huge difference in gain levels between CDs!

Fresh
22-06-2006, 07:34 AM
get a laptop and the dj software will pre-level your tracks for you, that or use the mixer gain control to pre match the sound level output .... lastly if all else fails get a audio compressor to ensure all output levels are matched, although you may loose some of the dynamics of the song ...... Radio Stations use them to maintain a consistent output signal

Danieleastwood.com
07-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Originally Posted by whitehousejamie

not true!!!!!!!!!!!

All speakers are made differently and therefore sound different. An eq system will enable you to tweak out the harsh bits and eliminate the bits your cabs cant cope with.

If used well, you are able to gain quite a bit more out of a sytem while also being able to reduce system damage and ultimately warming the sound to your liking. (would be tempted not to use the auto eq though, people have far better ears.

The only downside to the Beringher stuff is that it has very little headroom. If you push it into it's high end threshhold, it will struggle to keep up and on a good system you can hear it.

I suggest everyone use a good eq, as the difference between a great sounding rig and a crap sounding rig will inevitably be the re-bookings made.

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-07-2006, 12:15 PM
I suggest everyone use a good eq, as the difference between a great sounding rig and a crap sounding rig will inevitably be the re-bookings made.

You dont honestly believe that do you? :omg:

Do you really believe that many customers will notice the difference between a Nexo and a Soundlab speaker?

Danieleastwood.com
07-07-2006, 12:24 PM
Not intentionally

But how many times have you walked into a club or bar or mobile disco and thought i dont like it in here, the musics too loud! and stayed for one drink and gone.

90% of the time, it's not that it's too loud, it's just too loud in the wrong areas/frequencies. I was merely suggesting an eq can help with this sort of problem.

Further to "will people know the difference" If thats the case, why are we all striving to own the best equipment (other than reliabilty)

Solitaire Events Ltd
07-07-2006, 12:32 PM
Not intentionally

But how many times have you walked into a club or bar or mobile disco and thought i dont like it in here, the musics too loud! and stayed for one drink and gone.

90% of the time, it's not that it's too loud, it's just too loud in the wrong areas/frequencies. I was merely suggesting an eq can help with this sort of problem.

Further to "will people know the difference" If thats the case, why are we all striving to own the best equipment (other than reliabilty)

You've hit the nail on the head.

If I, as a DJ went to a club, then I would notice, but would someone not connected with the industry?

And your second point:

Not everyone strives to own the best gear. Ask around on this forum - loads of people use budget or average gear and it doesn't stop them doing the job.

The other thing is with this industry is that people get hooked on buying and upgrading their shows, but his has nothing to so with what the client will notice.

Corabar Steve
07-07-2006, 02:06 PM
90% of the time, it's not that it's too loud, it's just too loud in the wrong areas/frequencies. I was merely suggesting an eq can help with this sort of problem.Not due to the DJ not using the EQ on their mixer correctly??

There's a DJ in one venue in Barnet that seems to have an aversion to bass. It's painful to be in the room when he's playing, yet the place is packed because it's "the place to be"

Paul James Promotions
08-07-2006, 02:25 AM
An eq system will enable you to tweak out the harsh bits and eliminate the bits your cabs cant cope with.

You use hi pass filters to protect your cabinets from frequencies below their tuning point.

Any 'pro' drivers will have a near ruler flat response, so you shouldn't have to EQ certain frequencies to get a nice sound. The 3 / 4 band on your mixer channels should be more than enough.