PDA

View Full Version : NJD Datamoon 250w Buy or Don't Buy?

Big Mix Mobile Disco
07-03-2010, 05:58 PM
Hi Guys and Gals,

Just wondering if anyone has any views on the NJD Datamoon 250w lights?

In other words do i buy or not??

Thanks
Darren

Big Mix Mobile Disco
07-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Hi all,

Simple question;

NJD Buy or Don't Buy?

OllieJames
07-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Hi all,

Simple question;

NJD Buy or Don't Buy?

Depends what you currently use?

Shaun
07-03-2010, 06:25 PM
I've only ever heard good comments about the datamoon from those that have used them.

Big Mix Mobile Disco
07-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Depends what you currently use?

Hi Ollie,

I currently have 1 evl spin, 1 x martin mania scx500 and 1 x quad gem led from american dj (used as center piece light).

Thanks,

Darren

Big Mix Mobile Disco
07-03-2010, 06:30 PM
I've only ever heard good comments about the datamoon from those that have used them.

Thank you mr elitedj.

Darren

OllieJames
07-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Hi Ollie,

I currently have 1 evl spin, 1 x martin mania scx500 and 1 x quad gem led from american dj (used as center piece light).

Thanks,

Darren

Ah okay. I think a pair of datamoons would even your rig out and would be a good addition as far as dance floor lighting goes. :)

I say - go for it! As Shaun said, I've never heard a bad word about Datamoons either.

Cheers, Ollie

Cj_The_Dj
07-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Ive seen them they certainly do the job... i would go for this These (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Twin-NJD-Datamoon-Kit-with-Flight-Case-DMX-Controller_W0QQitemZ140388879976QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZUK_ConElec_LightingLEDsStrobes_RL?hash=item20afd4 4e68)

and if you can afford this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NJD-DMX250-DMX-250-Scanner-Lighting-Kit-Cheapest-Ever_W0QQitemZ260550760795QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Co nElec_LightingLEDsStrobes_RL?hash=item3caa09195b) they will all do the same witch looks :cool:

then sell your current lighting and get a pair of led par cans..

and youve got a nice rig..

Try to make your rig symmetrical.
(remember less is usually more)

Cj_The_Dj
07-03-2010, 06:54 PM
why have you started the thread again?

anyways Ive seen them they certainly do the job... i would go for this These

and if you can afford this they will all do the same witch looks

Try to make your rig symmetrical it will look better and more pro.

07-03-2010, 06:54 PM
I've just bought a pair of datamoons, to replace my Constella Chameleon 4's. Very happy with them!

Big Mix Mobile Disco
07-03-2010, 07:01 PM
why have you started the thread again?

anyways Ive seen them they certainly do the job... i would go for this These

and if you can afford this they will all do the same witch looks

Try to make your rig symmetrical it will look better and more pro.

Hi thanks for your message, when you say I would go for this these..do you need to put a light recommendation there as your post reads slightly confusing.

Thanks,

Darren

Cj_The_Dj
07-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Right they do the job. not the best but not far from the wost.

I am saying njd data-moon and the 250 scanners make a good light show.

it would look nice on a deck stand with a pair of led cans and that's all you would need for 99% of the time.

Daryll
07-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Nice lights , but don't discount the Acme Falcon , sameish light , but the internal mirror moves back and forth , to give a expanding/contracting effect , the other thing is some datamoon`s have 5 pin xlr`s for dmx , you can get a dedicated controller for the datamoons`s , if your not using dmx throughout

Daryll

soundmaster mobile disco
07-03-2010, 08:06 PM
I was a regular njd datamoon user untill i upgraded to martin efx

Have to say excellent very bright lights with a great easy to use controller.

downside has to be the weight.

Mark Wild
07-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Buy

Corabar Steve
07-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Once is enough for the same toipc by the same person.

Threads merged.

Vectis
08-03-2010, 01:38 PM
I've been toying with the idea of selling my Datamoons ... purely because I have far too many effects and the moons are not getting the use that they once were.

If anyone's interested it may swing my opinion. Let me know and I might just open a for sale thread ;)

DJ Jules
08-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Buy. I've got Acme Falcons and the old Acme Puma's, but these were really justcheaper alternatives to the Datamoons. The only things which put me off the Datamoons were the 5pin DMX connection and the NJD controller (I've got a small pile of CA-8's here so it's easier for me to stay in the Acme camp as I have spares).

Julian

Vectis
08-03-2010, 02:57 PM
The only things which put me off the Datamoons were the 5pin DMX connection

Not a problem ...
www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=NEUNA3F5M&browsemode=category

DJ Jules
08-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Not a problem ...
www.bluearan.co.uk/index.php?id=NEUNA3F5M&browsemode=category

I know, but I've lost count of the number of Datamoons I've seen for sale on eBay with "slightly bent pins due to 3-5pin adapter being left in the machine during transit and knocked/kicked/bashed/dropped".

If i had bought them, I would have either knocked up an adaptor with a fly lead between the plug and socket, opened the machines up and swapped the 5pin socket for a 3pin version or just bought a few 5 pin XLR cables and always run them in pairs in master/slave mode ;)

Julian

Vectis
08-03-2010, 05:10 PM
I know, but I've lost count of the number of Datamoons I've seen for sale on eBay with "slightly bent pins due to 3-5pin adapter being left in the machine during transit and knocked/kicked/bashed/dropped".

If i had bought them, I would have either knocked up an adaptor with a fly lead between the plug and socket, opened the machines up and swapped the 5pin socket for a 3pin version or just bought a few 5 pin XLR cables and always run them in pairs in master/slave mode ;)

Julian

Gotcha.

I made a pair of short link cables to alleviate this problem. Two bits of red insulation tape later (for identification) and voila!

Big Mix Mobile Disco
08-03-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks for all your comments guys, it's kinda put me off the NJD considering they are 5 pin, which until I started this thread I had no idea about...good old MDD forum.

Hmm...so ACME what's the take on them, do they last long, break down alot etc... lol

Thanks for all your super input...

Darren

DJ Jules
08-03-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks for all your comments guys, it's kinda put me off the NJD considering they are 5 pin, which until I started this thread I had no idea about...good old MDD forum.

Hmm...so ACME what's the take on them, do they last long, break down alot etc... lol

Thanks for all your super input...

Darren

The Falcon's are top notch, and if you can get the 150w HID version of them, they're incredibly bright. The Puma's were Acme's take on the Datamoon, but they discontinued them. They do the Magic Gobo, but that's 100w, and they're about to launch an LED moonflower, but that's not even DMX. The next unit up in the Acme range is the iSolution series, iShow 3 or iShow 4. But the 3's are £149/each (combined colour/gobo wheel) and the 4's (with separate colour/gobo wheels) are £189/each - so a bit more money than a Datamoon.

Personally, I wouldn't let the 5pin DMX connection put you off the NJD Datamoon's, they are great lights.

Julian

Starlight
09-03-2010, 02:43 PM
I've just bought a pair of datamoons, to replace my Constella Chameleon 4's. Very happy with them!
I've seen these lights and produce stunning light shows! Their optics are excellent too.

Go for 2, your sure to have a dazzling light show!

;)

Neil.

Rowleys
09-03-2010, 04:21 PM
i have a pair for Acme Falcon 250watt i love then but get a little Bord of my lighting so im looking on selling my Acme Falcon's

but would swap them for datamoons

OllieJames
09-03-2010, 04:25 PM
I have a pair of Acme Magic Gobos (http://prolight.co.uk/item.php?hdnID=506807).

They're like the Datamoons but; cheaper, 3 pin DMX & 100w. They're very bright for 100w, I rate them highly. Only thing I wish was different with them was that they had a wider beam angle.

DJ Jules
09-03-2010, 04:33 PM
They're like the Datamoons but; cheaper, 3 pin DMX & 100w. They're very bright for 100w, I rate them highly. Only thing I wish was different with them was that they had a wider beam angle.

They'd be too dark if they did... that's why you really need 250w or 150w HID for a good wide spread :)

Julian

Big Mix Mobile Disco
09-03-2010, 05:49 PM
Grrr :bang: Lol

Now I'm even more confused maybe you could all give me a straight decision...

ACME Falcons 250w
OR
NJD Datamoons 250w

Ok I know everyone has their own preference, but any tip is greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys,

Darren

Twinspin
09-03-2010, 07:57 PM
out of the two id say the Datamoons.

Rowleys
09-03-2010, 08:05 PM
falcon they do more then just spin

COOL HAND LUKE
09-03-2010, 09:35 PM
I run a couple of Datamoons and although they are a great light and I would buy again, they are quite heavy. So just follow the advice of your poll. :)

DJ Jules
09-03-2010, 10:10 PM
ACME Falcons 250w
OR
NJD Datamoons 250w

Both great lights, to give you a rough comparison though:

Acme Falcons
Approx £200/pair + £25.00 for a CA-8 Controller (based on best prices)
Project a ring of coloured lights which rotates and opens/closes
14 Gobos + open (incl 4 glass, 8 single colour, 1 Bi colour and 1 Quad colour) on a combined colour/gobo wheel
Totally automatic operation (drops into master mode with no DMX signal, or slave if you connect it to another Falcon - I've had mine for about a yr and I've yet to touch a DIP switch).
Biggest gripe with them so far - no-one makes a flight case for them!!

NJD Datamoon
About £200/pair + £25.00 for a controller (based on best prices I've seen)
Project a cluster of coloured lights which rotate (I don't know if anyone can confirm if they have Gobo shake?)
Separate Colour and Gobo wheels, 7 colours + open, 7 gobos + open (anyone know if they have a rainbow effect?)
Lots of standard flight cases available for both single and twin head packages

Anyone like to comment on ease of use for the Datamoons?

I would throw the Acme Puma's in here as well, just to confuse you even more, but they're officially discontinued so I won't ;)

Julian

Solitaire Events Ltd
09-03-2010, 11:59 PM
no-one makes a flight case for them!!

There are quite a few flight case companies that may disagree with that...

DJ Jules
10-03-2010, 06:28 AM
There are quite a few flight case companies that may disagree with that...

The last time I went into a prolight stockist and asked (in Nov), there wasn't even a case in the Prolight catalogue for them :confused:

I stand corrected though, there's a few around now (there weren't when I Google'd a few months ago), and there's always the custom build option:

DJ Kit Case for single Puma (http://www.djkit.com/product.php?id=1098&cat=321)

Julian

Rowleys
10-03-2010, 06:34 AM
i still say falcon

the flight case i use for my falcon's is a old 15" TV flight case and fit nice :Dre very heavy

but that a

Rowleys
10-03-2010, 06:40 AM
ok the falcons

YouTube- Acme Falcon

njd datamoon

YouTube- NJD Datamoon

Solitaire Events Ltd
10-03-2010, 10:42 AM
The last time I went into a prolight stockist and asked (in Nov), there wasn't even a case in the Prolight catalogue for them :confused:

As I said, there are quite a few flight case companies that may disagree with that. ;)

Bespoke cases aren't much more than 'off the shelf' ones.