PDA

View Full Version : Southampton/Hampshire DJ Association - Meet!

yourdj
12-03-2010, 08:05 AM
Hi,

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_044PTfUkGaA/S5oEec-fNxI/AAAAAAAACPE/MIIn56Dt_yg/s320/BANNER.jpg

As promised I am starting a new DJ association for Southampton (& Hampshire).

The purpose of it is to meet, have fun and network with like other minded DJ’s.
It is also a chance for DJ’s who are thinking about buying some new kit to try it out if another member has it.

The association is open to Mobile DJ’s, Radio Broadcasters & Club DJ’s so if you
know anyone who would be interested then please forward their contact details and website address.

Anyone is welcome but they must be modern entertainers with a good business attitude.
Each member must:

Show proof of PLI & PAT
Must be an active professional DJ
Must have a good portfolio of events
Most importantly have a good attitude

- Basically no DJ’s who have outdated/unsafe equipment go out at £100 and do not care about the client. :p

We will have our first meeting somewhere in the centre of Southampton on

Monday 29th of March probably @ 7-9pm.

The evening will involve the following:

- a general introduction of you and your business
- some food & soft drinks
- an interactive music quiz from Steve Gladders
- beer, :beer1: (if your a proper DJ you wont have to get up the next morning LOL)! - The venue will be near the station.
- a demonstration of the Vestax VCI from DJ Sunny (spe entertainments) + other gadgets & lighting

Please let me know if you can attend and judging on the response I will book a suitable venue. (There maybe a small charge of £10-20 per person depending on the venue).
If you have any ideas of your own then im all ears!

Toby Oakley – S.D.A

0844 736 1981 / http://www.yourdj.co.uk/

Vectis
12-03-2010, 08:23 AM
- Basically no DJ’s who have outdated/unsafe equipment

Poo... it was all going really well for me until this line came up. Ho hum.

Solitaire Events Ltd
12-03-2010, 08:27 AM
Good luck with that Toby - I hope people are interested.

A couple of points though if I may...

A charge of £10 - £20 is not a small charge, especially for one meeting. Take into account that the SEDA membership is only £35 a year and NADJ is only £55. Worth thinking about?

Also, why try and re-invent the wheel? As mentioned, you have got SEDA not far from you and branches of NADJ are across the country.

However, good luck and if I am free, I'll try and come down and support this meeting. I'd love to meet 'Steve Gladders' :sj:

Corabar Steve
12-03-2010, 10:01 AM
The association is open to Mobile DJ’s, Radio Broadcasters & Club DJ’s ........
.........Each member must:

Show proof of PLI & PAT How many radio DJs or club DJs will have that?

Well at least it's stereo.

yourdj
12-03-2010, 02:39 PM

no worries. you may have to swim back though :D

How many radio DJs or club DJs will have that?

Not too many but you never know? Nice to have a mix of skills :)

A charge of £10 - £20 is not a small charge, especially for one meeting. Take into account that the SEDA membership is only £35 a year and NADJ is only £55. Worth thinking about?

Also, why try and re-invent the wheel? As mentioned, you have got SEDA not far from you and branches of NADJ are across the country.

However, good luck and if I am free, I'll try and come down and support this meeting. I'd love to meet 'Steve Gladders' :sj:

Steve is nothing like his online personality :p Nice bloke actually. He has a musical knowledge like no other.
Me and party paul got nothing in a pub quiz as he answered them all. i got the bottle of wine though LOL.

This is not too serious really just a meet of local professionals. More of an excuse to have some beers as my girlfriend is on holiday that week :p

most the DJ's in the area i talk too do not know each other hence the idea as i have had allot of business from referrals from several of the top acts in Soton, but SEDA is worth a go. where do they meet? can i set up my own?

I will get the venue for free hopefully so no charge :)

Danno13
12-03-2010, 04:14 PM
There's a South Central (un-formed) branch of NADJ which met in Andover a couple of times and then Newbury a few more times since then, not sure if anythings happened recently though.

Paul The Party Dj
12-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Vectis - is that "state of the art" on the Island? - I like it!
Toby, I think you'll find I answered at least one question in that quiz - and so did your lovely lady!
I think I'd have seen who turned up before I wrote a rule book.
Anyway, I'll be there - as long as I'm back from Wembley.

yourdj
13-03-2010, 02:14 AM
Toby, I think you'll find I answered at least one question in that quiz - and so did your lovely lady!.

You answered allot more than me thats for sure. Steve did do the rest though :p

Paul The Party Dj
21-03-2010, 07:59 AM
Have we got a confirmed venue yet?

yourdj
21-03-2010, 11:23 PM
yep just need some DJ's to attend.

Anyone?

yourdj
23-03-2010, 09:27 AM
OK,

we have about 15 people attending and have space for another 5 or so.

the venue is Buon Gusto, http://www.buon-gusto.co.uk/
1 Commercial Road, Southampton, SO15 1GF

<http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&source=hp&ie=UTF8&q=buon+gusto+southampton&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=buon+gusto&hnear=southampton&cid=0,0,650522706220580056&ei=OJaoS_WJD5P60wSPqpTfDQ&ved=0CAoQnwIwAA&ll=50.909203,-1.40949&spn=0.007685,0.01929&z=16&iwloc=A

Its in a function room upstairs.

Its right next to the train station for anyone travelling that way :)
We are meeting at 7pm and and it should finish about 10pm.

- music quiz
- general meet and greet
- some drinks
- equipment demonstrations

If anyone else is interested in going it will be a very fun and educational event as we dont usually get out much do we?

email me if you wish to attend:
http://www.yourdj.co.uk/tobycontact.html

:D

Alex
23-03-2010, 02:12 PM
Hey guys,

Well just to let you know I'll be coming along on Monday, and I'll be bringing my friend too :)

Should be a good evening! It will be great to meet other DJs from the local area. Also a great way to network with other locals as well.

I would attend the SEDA meetings but unfortunately these are usually on nights I have bookings and also it's usually too far away for me to travel in one night.

yourdj
24-03-2010, 06:47 AM
Hey guys,

Well just to let you know I'll be coming along on Monday, and I'll be bringing my friend too :)

Should be a good evening! It will be great to meet other DJs from the local area. Also a great way to network with other locals as well.

I would attend the SEDA meetings but unfortunately these are usually on nights I have bookings and also it's usually too far away for me to travel in one night.

Cheers alex. 15 confirmed. any more?
Had a look at the room and its perfect for at least 30 :D

Tony Scott
24-03-2010, 07:09 AM
Hi,

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_044PTfUkGaA/S5oEec-fNxI/AAAAAAAACPE/MIIn56Dt_yg/s320/BANNER.jpg

As promised I am starting a new DJ association for Southampton (& Hampshire).

The purpose of it is to meet, have fun and network with like other minded DJ’s.
It is also a chance for DJ’s who are thinking about buying some new kit to try it out if another member has it.

The association is open to Mobile DJ’s, Radio Broadcasters & Club DJ’s so if you
know anyone who would be interested then please forward their contact details and website address.

Anyone is welcome but they must be modern entertainers with a good business attitude.
Each member must:

Show proof of PLI & PAT
Must be an active professional DJ
Must have a good portfolio of events
Most importantly have a good attitude

- Basically no DJ’s who have outdated/unsafe equipment go out at £100 and do not care about the client. :p

We will have our first meeting somewhere in the centre of Southampton on

Monday 29th of March probably @ 7-9pm.

The evening will involve the following:

- a general introduction of you and your business
- some food & soft drinks
- an interactive music quiz from Steve Gladders
- beer, :beer1: (if your a proper DJ you wont have to get up the next morning LOL)! - The venue will be near the station.
- a demonstration of the Vestax VCI from DJ Sunny (spe entertainments) + other gadgets & lighting

Please let me know if you can attend and judging on the response I will book a suitable venue. (There maybe a small charge of £10-20 per person depending on the venue).
If you have any ideas of your own then im all ears!

Toby Oakley – S.D.A

0844 736 1981 / http://www.yourdj.co.uk/

That's me out then, I have to get up and fix boilers the next morning so I mustn't be a proper DJ? :confused: :)

yourdj
24-03-2010, 08:02 AM
That's me out then, I have to get up and fix boilers the next morning so I mustn't be a proper DJ? :confused: :)

sorry tony, I completely forgot about you (i think). Can you not pop down for a bit - You could be in bed by 10 if you left early :confused:

:)

Alex
30-03-2010, 11:57 AM
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thank you to Toby for an excellent evening.... really enjoyable and it was great to learn about the vestax mixer (thanks sunny) .....

My business partner, graham, had a wonderfull time too... and it was great to meet you all....

Can't wait for the next one :)

Paul The Party Dj
30-03-2010, 03:47 PM
Seconded! Great to meet you guys.

Not a bad turn out for the first meeting with DJ's coming from about 25 miles in each direction - well not from the South yet, nobody swam over from the IOW. But we did have DJ's from Bournemouth in the West, Portsmouth in the East, and Whitchurch to the North!

Well done Toby, great job. I'm thinking late May, early June for another one?

yourdj
30-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Cheers for everyone who made it. Very useful night all round and good fun. Steves quiz was a bit on the hard side but very well out together :)

Alex your doing the next one so make it easier.
There will also be a prize for the winner :)

If anyone has any ideas or things to demo let me know and you can do the demo next time (with a tester to make sure it works properly :o )

if your a proper DJ you wont have to get up the next morning LOL)!

Good job i didnt i have been in bed all day - too much alcomihol afterwards :wine:

Here are the pics:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_044PTfUkGaA/S7JIeKgrTrI/AAAAAAAACQM/B_9hg8wr5J4/s320/pic1.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_044PTfUkGaA/S7JId2kuNwI/AAAAAAAACQE/FBhbfMk0BDI/s320/pic+9.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_044PTfUkGaA/S7JIdW8PaBI/AAAAAAAACP8/hzH4nHleQOI/s320/pic+7.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_044PTfUkGaA/S7JIdHtofpI/AAAAAAAACP0/GI4HSj-Nk0I/s320/pic+4.jpg

Even Hugh Grant turned up :eek:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_044PTfUkGaA/S7JIcoBQBYI/AAAAAAAACPs/KIipXvpKEDg/s320/pic+8.jpg

we will have another one start of June i think?

:)

Alex
30-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Heya Toby,

Looking forward to it.... I'll make sure the quiz is tricky but nice :)

Also guys and girls I'll be demonstrating the event planner software "DJEvent Planner"... I'll be showing you the basics, event planning, quotation sending.... and how to implement on your site.

See you all soon :)

Alex

yourdj
31-03-2010, 02:52 AM
grassy asss

Alex
31-03-2010, 02:55 AM
sit on sand then ;)

sp-e
31-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Great evening Toby,

shame about the vestax, but thanks for the peroni!

Paul The Party Dj
31-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Great evening Toby,

Fair play to you for having the cahoonas to keep going!

Hey Toby, at least the Vestax wasn't outdated or unsafe :p

yourdj
31-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Fair play to you for having the cahoonas to keep going!

Hey Toby, at least the Vestax wasn't outdated or unsafe :p

No it was because sunny is using the latest version of Itch and my units firmware has not been updated :o

Its fine on my laptop as it has an older version of Itch.
If he used my laptop or his unit then it would be fine but HEY thats the problems with digital hardware as the Vestax/itch can be personalized to the users specifications.

Oh well he got one mix out of it :p

And that just proves the need for a standalone unit to use when everything goes wrong!
- Next time i think im going to demonstrate affordable back up systems as many DJ's just don't have them!

yourdj
31-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Great evening Toby,

Or 10! I cant drink anymore Im getting old! :guinness: > :wine: > :sick:

Go and introduce yourself or you will be told off :D
look at the forum main panel thing?

Alex
05-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Ok guys and girls....

After speaking to Troy from DJEventPlanner, he has graciously offered to do a Skype Video Conference call for the next meeting, so we can ask any questions we would like! :)

I'll still be demoing the software and then calling Troy in the good ol' USA!

I have also confirmed with Troy from DJEP that at the next meeting I will be able to offer anyone who comes a free 3 month trial instead of the usual 1 month trial! I'll have the promo code ready for the next meeting!

--- Toby, I've sent you a text message ( apologies for the delay, been in wales)