PDA

View Full Version : Prizes

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-03-2010, 08:16 AM
Do you give prizes out at kids parties and if so, what do you give?

Are sweets alright to give out?

StarZSoundS
19-03-2010, 08:35 AM

Yep.....give sweets out all the time....just check the date of cousre.

You can buy them wholesale.Have you a Makro Card or something??My Jackie bought some little white old style paper bags to pop them in as well...they love them... and they are much cheaper!!

I have a huge pile of a particular product that would be good for Kids giveaways if anybody wants to invest a few quids.

Can't be :Censored: to post them...but if you're passing through South Yorkshire ???

Vectis
19-03-2010, 08:38 AM
Not unless the parents give them to you.

In the past I've provided glowsticks, which some little Johnny then goes and breaks and gets glass in his eye (ambulance job).

I've provided sweets which some irate mother blasted me for because they contained animal-sourced gelatin and the kid was supposedly a vegan, and another occasion E-numbers, and another occasion too much sugar....

I've tried blow-up instruments which inevitably end up as weapons...

... it's just not worth it. If the parents bring prizes and ask you to give them out for best dancer, best costume, whatever then all's well and good :)

Excalibur
19-03-2010, 08:42 AM
Can't be :Censored: to post them...but if you're passing through South Yorkshire ???
We all pass through South Yorkshire. It's stopping that's not recommended. :p :D :D :D :D :D

In the past I've provided glowsticks, which some little Johnny then goes and breaks and gets glass in his eye (ambulance job).

I've provided sweets which some irate mother blasted me for because they contained animal-sourced gelatin and the kid was supposedly a vegan, and another occasion E-numbers, and another occasion too much sugar....

... it's just not worth it. If the parents bring prizes and ask you to give them out for best dancer, best costume, whatever then all's well and good :)

I'm with Vectis on this. Whatever is given out must be provided by parents.

And Darren, when you were even younger than you are now, didn't your Mummy warn you about accepting sweets from strange men? :D :D :D :D

StarZSoundS
19-03-2010, 08:47 AM

I doubt wether it would affect your PLI??

However....you have a different approach to your parties than us....

Neithers right or wrong.....just different.;)

Never had any off the problems you mention....yet!!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'd dump the Glass Glostix if I were you....asking for trouble.Especially hen wyou try and crack them!!

Solitaire Events Ltd
19-03-2010, 08:52 AM

That is the reason I asked!

Thanks for al opinions.

ppentertainments
19-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Plastic winners medals work just as well :)

soundtracker
19-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Plastic winners medals work just as well :)

Yeah I use these and sustificuts (for all you Steve Wright Fans)

Mayhem 1
19-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Harribo Sweeties
Medals
Sustificates
Balloon Models

Corabar Entertainment
19-03-2010, 10:39 AM
Another one for 'no sweets' here.

We've got a large 'party shop' near us that has a huge selection of children's party favours and we usually give out those - selection of puzzles, games, cards, balls, play jewellery, coloured pencils, whoopie cushions, notepads, colouring books, plus (for younger children) certificates. Glow sticks are always popular, but tend to give those out to all children rather than as prizes. Plus, they are only any good providing the room is dark, of course. Kids parties during daylight hours in bright rooms (even though you've strongly suggested to the organisers that they block out the natural light) are a pain!

Mark Wild
19-03-2010, 10:43 AM
A bag of mixed nuts.

StarZSoundS
19-03-2010, 11:09 AM

We've got a large 'party shop' near us that has a huge selection of children's party favours and we usually give out those - selection of puzzles, games, cards, balls, play jewellery, coloured pencils, whoopie cushions, notepads, colouring books, plus (for younger children) certificates. Glow sticks are always popular, but tend to give those out to all children rather than as prizes. Plus, they are only any good providing the room is dark, of course. Kids parties during daylight hours in bright rooms (even though you've strongly suggested to the organisers that they block out the natural light) are a pain!

Wouldn't buy them from a shop Angie......look out for some deals on E-bay.I bought 800 keyrings (retail £2.99 carded for .03p each) and 7500 Secret Diaries and Bedroom/Door stickers for £200.

I'll need to be finishing doing them when i'm 87 to clear it all:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Corabar Entertainment
19-03-2010, 11:39 AM
We have a very good relationship with this party shop, and we actually pick the prizes for each party to suit the demographic of each party.

7500 generic anything's wouldn't suit our way of doing things, I'm afraid.

CRAZY K
19-03-2010, 11:40 AM
I doubt wether it would affect your PLI??

Far as I know-- I dont think your covered--check with the Insurance Company.

If they were given to you by the parents still not covered BUT of course you blame the parents.;)

This is a products liability aspect as far as I know which would need different cover:confused:

BeerFunk
19-03-2010, 04:24 PM
I don't have children, nor do I do kids parties, but I do respect that parents should decide what their children are eating - so I'd say no to giving out sweets too.

Besides that, obesity is becoming a huge problem in the UK, including children, so I would avoid contributing to it! :)

Alchemy
19-03-2010, 05:54 PM

Knowing health and safety law in the UK I expect you'd have to do a risk assessment. :D :D :D

Charlie Brown
19-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Go to Poundland - I always buy colouring in books etc. A bit more imaginative.

Megamix
19-03-2010, 06:30 PM
I find a balloon gives hours of pleasure...just make sure you've arranged the landing spot in time for the finish.:D

Corabar Entertainment
19-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Go to Poundland - I always buy colouring in books etc. A bit more imaginative.
Ahem!

:whistle:

ppentertainments
19-03-2010, 08:10 PM
I pick up things cheap whilst out shopping. Tonight ASDA were selling recorders for 20p each so picked up 10.

Charlie Brown
19-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Ahem!

I'm sorry - I'm half asleep tonight! :)

Corabar Entertainment
19-03-2010, 08:17 PM
;) :d

yourdj
19-03-2010, 08:42 PM
i bought some superman sweets cigarettes and one kid was sitting in the corner pretending it was a cigarette.

Not good. I find 10p haribo sweets do the trick.

I normally get £2 worth or so.

girly ones for girls and boys ones for the boys.

DJMaxG
27-05-2010, 06:45 AM
What about teddy bears and small cuddly toys? Surely you can pick those up fairly cheaply and it is something that the child will keep forever, even if it ends up in the loft somewhere. Most are CE approved in any case, you no worry of it harming any children.

A bag of mixed nuts.

:lol: Yeh, that would really go down well (if they had false teeth!!) :p

Corabar Entertainment
27-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Apart from asking the obvious question of "Why on earth have you resurrected this thread just to add that post?", my other question would be "Have you ever looked at the cost of soft toys?"

DJMaxG
27-05-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't visit the Children's Ent forum much, so hence seeing the thread late. You can pick up promo teddies for about £1 or so each, Yes that does soon add up, but they can just be used for certain prizes, not every prize.

Corabar Entertainment
27-05-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm intrigued to know what 'promo teddies' are.

DJMaxG
27-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Promo = Corporate Indentity

The teddies have the company's name on printed somewhere (varies)

Corabar Entertainment
27-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Promo = Corporate IndentityNo, Promo = Promotional

ie: Advertising material that is usually given away for free!

Why on earth would you BUY someone else's promotional material?

DJMaxG
27-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Who said you would :confused:

You would obviously use your own company name on the prizes, for example "Sid's Partys Limited"

Corabar Entertainment
27-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Right! I'm with you now!

So what you are saying is "Get your own promotional items done to hand out as prizes"

From my experience, I think you are being extremely optimistic at £1 per teddy - unless you are talking about a very large order!

Where have you seen these for that sort of price?

StarZSoundS
27-05-2010, 10:51 AM
I still have a huge raft of Kidz Prizes / Party Bag Fillers that I'm looking to cash in if anyones interested??

DJMaxG
27-05-2010, 11:02 AM
If you buy just over 1,000 - then you can pick them up for 97p, and good quality they appear too. I wasn't suggesting that they had to be promotional, you could have blank ones; My point being was that they would be very suitable for children. You have to decide, as the entertainer, how many to give out.

Eg :
Premium Prizes - 10 cuddly toys [per a party]
Other Prizes - [the other items mentioned in this thread]

You probably wouldn't want to give out a teddy for every prize, otherwise the children that won multiple games would end up with a shelf full of them, but they could become a nice accomplaiment.

Buying in bulk saves money, of course.

If you intend to trade for 10 years, it's well worth the investment, and they may not even last 3 years.

UltraBeat Entertainment
27-05-2010, 01:10 PM
I know this is an old thread but here's my bit of knowledge:)

Individually wrapped sweets
Plastic Medals (See Asda;))
Small Glow Sticks (for older children only)
Small Colouring sets
Small bubble pots

I've in the past used:
Small toys. This became a health hazard
Rugby/Footballs. Very Expensive
Cheap Glow Sticks. Dangerous
Sherbet and Chocolate. Very Messy

DJMaxG
27-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I agree with things like bubble pots, extremely cheap and put a thrill on any person's face.