PDA

View Full Version : Speaker stands

Jonathan Ford
23-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Just a quick, potentially stupid question....

For those of you that use speaker stands with "tripod" bases, how do you highlight them to kiddies running round in the dark? The only reason I ask is some little darling tripped over mine on Friday night, landing on his face 8 feet away. Fortunately, the speaker and stand is ok. They are set up in a safe position, the same position that they've been in for the last couple of years at this school.

All I could think of was putting a light at the base, but I don't really want to risk a light getting kicked over, or wrapping some tinsel around the feet. The school hall I'm in has "all or nothing" flourescent strip lighting, so it's always really dark in there. I suppose I could buy a few par cans to add more ambient light, but doubt I'll be able to adjust my rate to compensate for the outlay, so don't really see that as a viable option. Any other ideas?

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Just a quick, potentially stupid question....

For those of you that use speaker stands with "tripod" bases, how do you highlight them to kiddies running round in the dark? The only reason I ask is some little darlin gtripped over mine on Friday night, landing on his face 8 feet away. Fortunately, the speaker and stand is ok.

Yellow tape around the legs, which looks horrible but does the job, or you need to mark out your work area on the floor.

Penfold42
23-03-2010, 11:27 AM
Barbed wire, electric fence....works really well! :eek: ;) :D

Yellow tape around the legs, which looks horrible but does the job, or you need to mark out your work area on the floor.

:agree:

MagicMusic
23-03-2010, 11:34 AM
You can buy some "warning" tape, the black and yellow stuff from poundland. Its probably crap but at least its inexpesive.

You could do as suggested - wrap it round the legs or use it to mark out your area on the floor. Isupose it depends on the surface though.

rossken
23-03-2010, 04:09 PM
You can get glow in the dark tape (http://www.glowtec.co.uk/glowshop-cart-tape-2.htm) which you could wrap around the speaker stand leg. You can also get Reflective Hazard Tape (http://www.gaffatape.com/Reflective-Hazard-Tape-1/default.aspx).

Neither will make your rig look any prettier, but from a safety aspect both should help - Personally I prefer the glow tape... not quite so in your face, but still obvious.

Saying that, the few of times I have used tape to highlight my speaker/lighting stands, I just used white electrical tape.... which also works.

Corabar Entertainment
23-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Don't know too much about them, so forgive me if this is the most stupid comment / question ever, but has anyone ever thought about / tried using those LED stick on strips that you can cut to size?

sgldisco
23-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Or the starcloth material led speaker stand covers....:D

Solitaire Events Ltd
23-03-2010, 04:38 PM
has anyone ever thought about / tried using those LED stick on strips that you can cut to size?

No.

:sj:

Corabar Entertainment
23-03-2010, 04:44 PM
:ner: :moon:

Sapphire Disco
23-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Don't know how these will look, probably better than I'm thinking maybe worth a try .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Skytronic-Tripod-Stand-Base-Star-Cloth-WHITE_W0QQitemZ140389413661QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C onElec_LightingLEDsStrobes_RL?hash=item20afdc731d

Vectis
23-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Don't know how these will look, probably better than I'm thinking maybe worth a try .

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Skytronic-Tripod-Stand-Base-Star-Cloth-WHITE_W0QQitemZ140389413661QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_C onElec_LightingLEDsStrobes_RL?hash=item20afdc731d

Apart from looking :Censored: hideous, they'll probably do more harm than good by covering up the metal legs.

On the odd occasion I've had to put tripod legs close to the audience I put rings of white insulation tape around them, and try to make sure there's ambient light in the area even if this is just an LED PAR set to blue 20% or such like.

Alternatively pop a couple of flightcases into the V between the legs, even if they're empty. My iMove 5 cases work great for this.

I also have some of the yellow/black hazard tape for extreme situations but it rarely gets dusted off.

Excalibur
23-03-2010, 08:57 PM
At floor level, cabs on tripods are a nightmare. There can be a case for tall floor standing cabs.

Jonathan Ford
23-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I'll try some of that glow tape.

Kernow
24-03-2010, 01:51 PM
Cable Tie or glue glow-stick connectors along the legs, and just remove & replace the sticks as required. Kids would probably appreciate the effect too :)

Woodyo
24-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Not sure a glowstick attached to a speaker stand is a good idea , it would be a major attractant to the stand and I'm sure the little blighters will delight in finding a way to remove them.

soundscapes
24-03-2010, 08:12 PM
a cheap and nasty rope light or some of that led strip lighting which is designed for the edges of stairs in nightclubs etc.

AnthonyG
23-04-2010, 05:01 AM
I picked up some really cheap RED Flashing LED Keyrings (ultra Bright) lights. When i setup, if i cant mitigate the risk of the legs, these are stuck to the bottom of the legs (Gaffer!) and happily warn the little lovelies of the danger!

I dont fancy a claim on my PLI for a trip or fall!

Anthony

WWDJ
23-04-2010, 07:20 AM
Other members don't like my tape on my tripods, but it would have helped in the OP's situation. In this picture it actually fits the 'American' theme :)

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_udxYkibPwZM/S26dKh9eK6I/AAAAAAAAFH8/PLHTG60OHPY/rig.jpg

Shaun
23-04-2010, 04:33 PM
some little darling tripped over .... landing on his face 8 feet away. Fortunately, the speaker and stand is ok.

Am I the only one that found that amusing? :D

23-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Nope!:o

Mark Wild
23-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Am I the only one that found that amusing? :D

No ! LOL

Tony Scott
23-04-2010, 11:36 PM
I suppose I could buy a few par cans to add more ambient light, but doubt I'll be able to adjust my rate to compensate for the outlay, so don't really see that as a viable option....

Tight wad! :D At £30 each I would have thought this a very cheap option, I've used LED pars with great effect for this very purpose on occasions when I haven't used my Subs... :)

Dynamic Entertainment
24-04-2010, 10:26 AM
For kids parties, i use wide white electrical tape and mark out a working area, ive not had a kid yet cross the line, and i didnt use fear of death :)