PDA

View Full Version : Making Allies and partnerships....

Alex
27-03-2010, 02:47 AM
Guys and girls... fellow DJ's....

My wording in this question may come out wrong... if it does I apologise and try and clarify if you need me to....

The situation : Basically, there are two other DJ's out the at the moment in my area, who are MASSIVELY undercutting me (we are talking less then £10 a hour kinda gigs) ... and I've heard they are "average" in standard.

I've spoken to my boyfriend who studied business and marketing, and he advised me to try and bring them on board under my branding (So in other words, become a mini agent)....

The Question: But HOW do I approach them and ask them to join up?

Really the only two benefits that I can offer...that I can think off is...
1) a website with their design and intergrated booking and calander options...... and
2) More bookings....

The way I see it is, I would be the main one benefiting from this... as I assume as a mini-agent I would deal with their bookings and add my admin fee on top.

Your views and answers are greatly appreciated....

DeckstarDeluxe
27-03-2010, 10:12 AM
be liking paying to hire a ferrari and getting a fiesta. I would bet people who say they are average are surely basing that more on the fee they charge rather than how good they really are?

Shaun
27-03-2010, 10:50 AM
By your admission they are "average in standard". Would you really want to be associated with low(er) quality operators?

rob1963
27-03-2010, 11:04 AM
By your admission they are "average in standard". Would you really want to be associated with low(er) quality operators?

My thoughts exactly.

For nearly every booking I take, I have to turn down another for the same date, so I could easily take on another DJ & virtually double my disco turnover overnight, but the reason I don't do this is because there's only one person I can trust.

:D

Corabar Steve
27-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Depends on how you define average.

I'm sure if you took a selection of DJs from here, the average standard would be pretty good.

DiscoPromotions
27-03-2010, 02:01 PM

I'm sure if you took a selection of DJs from here, the average standard would be pretty good.

Defining the average would probably take decades to agree on. I learnt along time ago, you more than likely never find 2 x DJs to agree on everything..

There too many variables to consider, to even try and compare or measure a mobile DJ into something like a comparison chart.

Excalibur
27-03-2010, 02:48 PM

Ah yes, but that would be the average of the creme de la creme. ;) :D :D

Alex
27-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Sorry when I say Average, I mean in the customer point of view....

I've spoken to a few customers who have seen these guys and they were happy with the experience, but not "Wowed" by it.... if that makes sense.

Everyone has their own view on Average... so yeah, lets NOT debate that LOL

"Would you really want to be associated with low(er) quality operators?"

As I mentioned, they are "average" in the eyes of the customers... nothing they did specifically stood out.... so I wouldn't say they were exactly Lower Quality.... although I know both do not use MP3 and stick with CD's (I assume thats to avoid the produb license) ....

But back to the original question.... for my own reasons, I would perhaps like to get them onboard with me.... How do I approach them with this offer?

Any other agents out there like to shed some helpfull light?? :)

Shaun
27-03-2010, 05:08 PM
As I mentioned, they are "average" in the eyes of the customers... nothing they did specifically stood out...

My feelings are still the same. Would you really want to be associated with people that are "average" and "don't specifically stand out" in the eyes of customers?

yourdj
27-03-2010, 05:17 PM
There is a local outfit to you who already do this. They hire students and charge the client full wack and dont give the DJ much as they provide the equipment etc.

I was in this market and only got grief. Your better off sticking to quality and gain a couple of good DJ's when you can attract the work. It will make your life allot easier.

forget about other operators as they do things their way and you do yours your way.

see you monday.

DeckstarDeluxe
27-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Well Im guessing you call or email them?

Dj's being djs though arent gonna want someone telling them how to improve their show though so I wouldnt hold out much hope?

DiscoPromotions
28-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Well Im guessing you call or email them?

Dj's being djs though arent gonna want someone telling them how to improve their show though so I wouldnt hold out much hope?

I agree; main reason is that there is nothing in it for them, as they will only be looking at it with tunnel vision.

The under cutting DJ's that will go out for beer money, will continue to flood the market place; people will continue to hire them, as they are thinking they are getting a bargain; usually due to lack of knowledge of what is, and is not a good mobile DJ. Although, as given me an idea for some new content on our website.

Back on topic, what can we do about it, nothing really, unless our government decide to bring registered DJ list (i.e approved list), which I do not think will happen in my life time. We just have to put with their methods and practices, until one of us gives up and hang our headphones up for good.

Tony Scott
28-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Even if you did get them on board I would imagine the kind of DJ that goes out for that kind of fee wouldn't be that loyal to you and would, in time, start to rob your customers as well? :)

Penfold42
28-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Even if you did get them on board I would imagine the kind of DJ that goes out for that kind of fee wouldn't be that loyal to you and would, in time, start to rob your customers as well? :)

:agree:

"No loyalty among friends (greed)...."

DiscoPromotions
28-03-2010, 01:04 PM

Good point... in the end you will giving them access to everything... then one day puff.. they gone with your knowledge, leaving you with zippoo

DeckstarDeluxe
28-03-2010, 01:38 PM
Good point... in the end you will giving them access to everything... then one day puff.. they gone with your knowledge, leaving you with zippoo

aye they'll give out their own buisness cards too ;)

DiscoPromotions
28-03-2010, 01:45 PM
aye they'll give out their own buisness cards too ;)

Too right... Far less pain staking solution.. write a big fat cheque out, and give it next random person you see.

StarZSoundS
28-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Guys and girls... fellow DJ's....

My wording in this question may come out wrong... if it does I apologise and try and clarify if you need me to....

The situation : Basically, there are two other DJ's out the at the moment in my area, who are MASSIVELY undercutting me (we are talking less then £10 a hour kinda gigs) ... and I've heard they are "average" in standard.

I've spoken to my boyfriend who studied business and marketing, and he advised me to try and bring them on board under my branding (So in other words, become a mini agent)....

The Question: But HOW do I approach them and ask them to join up?

Really the only two benefits that I can offer...that I can think off is...
1) a website with their design and intergrated booking and calander options...... and
2) More bookings....

The way I see it is, I would be the main one benefiting from this... as I assume as a mini-agent I would deal with their bookings and add my admin fee on top.

Your views and answers are greatly appreciated....

I'm biting my tongue......but I don't know how long it will last....Someone help me please.!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Corabar Entertainment
28-03-2010, 01:50 PM
I'm biting my tongue......but I don't know how long it will last....Someone help me please.!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:OK, I'll help you: Either make a contribution to the thread or stop making pointless posts!

StarZSoundS
28-03-2010, 02:00 PM
OK, I'll help you: Either make a contribution to the thread or stop making pointless posts!

Ok Angie.....You have the option of deleting this of course(as always).

The poster doesn't identify themselves as being Male Or Female incidentally.....So i'll give you the cleaned up version!!(In case its a Woman)
If you came up to me and said ANYTHING along the lines you are considering...

I'd ask you "Who the :Censored: you think you are."

Who was it that voted you a better DJ than me because you have a :Censored: website.

Either everybodys being polite to a new poster or assuming the poster is a woman!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

DiscoPromotions
28-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Ok Angie.....You have the option of deleting this of course(as always).

The poster doesn't identify themselves as being Male Or Female incidentally.....So i'll give you the cleaned up version!!

Who was it that voted you a better DJ than me because you have a :Censored: website.

Either everybodys being polite to a new poster or assuming the poster is a woman!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Tactful.. :lol:

StarZSoundS
28-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Tactful.. :lol:

No......Jay ......HONEST!!!;) :D ;) :D ;) :D

Corabar Entertainment
28-03-2010, 02:09 PM
No......Martin ......RUDE!!!;) :D ;) :D ;) :D

(...and it should not matter whether the poster is male or female. That shows your shortcomings, not anyone else's)

soundtracker
28-03-2010, 02:18 PM
Interesting little quote on Skysports yesterday form Ken Bates - Chairman of Leeds United. "When a Yorkshire man speaks to you, he is being blunt, forthright, outspoken and honest, when you reply to him, you are being rude, arrogant, ignorant and abusive!"
See, I knew it would be worthwhile writing that down!

StarZSoundS
28-03-2010, 02:18 PM

(...and it should not matter whether the poster is male or female. That shows your shortcomings, not anyone else's)

I know my shortcomings Angie....I tried to clean up the post in case it was a Female....in fact to be less rude!!

The world is full of ten-bob millionaires Angie......

No wonder this person was edgy about how they worded it in the opening post.:eek: :eek: :eek:

I have found my way to the much lauded(by themselves)website of the poster...and of course if I make a comment it will be deleted.Suffice to say I think Darrrens and Charlies are very very good!! ;) ;) ;) :eek: :eek: :eek:

Interesting little quote on Skysports yesterday form Ken Bates - Chairman of Leeds United. "When a Yorkshire man speaks to you, he is being blunt, forthwright, outspoken and honest, when you reply to him, you are being rude, arrogant, ignorant and abusive!"

Pete.......

"I'm sorry but I think i'm falling in love with you now".:rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:

XXXXXX

DiscoPromotions
28-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Interesting little quote on Skysports yesterday form Ken Bates - Chairman of Leeds United. "When a Yorkshire man speaks to you, he is being blunt, forthright, outspoken and honest, when you reply to him, you are being rude, arrogant, ignorant and abusive!"
See, I knew it would be worthwhile writing that down!

This is not aimed anyone specific (just responding to the post)

In other words, shut up and listen... now who is being rude.. Is this not a individual trying to dictate to another individual. I would give a two word response, but keeping within the rules of this forum. I have one word response "whatever" which covers rude, arrogant, ignorant and abusive!.

Corabar Entertainment
28-03-2010, 02:23 PM
I know my shortcomings Angie....I tried to clean up the post in case it was a Female....in fact to be less rude!!

...and it should not matter whether the poster is male or female. Does anyone out there ever get the feeling that they are talking to themselves! :bang: :bang: :bang:

yourdj
28-03-2010, 02:27 PM
:)

exactly.

on a separate matter
your parcel is in the post by the way :)

Corabar Entertainment
28-03-2010, 02:29 PM
your parcel is in the post by the way :)Ta! ;)

Excalibur
28-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Interesting little quote on Skysports yesterday form Ken Bates - Chairman of Leeds United. "When a Yorkshire man speaks to you, he is being blunt, forthright, outspoken and honest, when you reply to him, you are being rude, arrogant, ignorant and abusive!" See, I knew it would be worthwhile writing that down!

I'm sorry Pete, but what point are you trying to make there?:confused: :innocent: Seems blindingly obvious to me. ;) :D :D

yourdj
28-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Ta! ;)

It a light weight one so wont weigh down extension leads, rack space. hopefully the right size etc :confused:

Alex
28-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Firstly Thanks to everyone for their replies....... been an interesting view on the forum to say the least.....

This post has actually really got my attention.....

Firstly I'm a guy........ just to clear up any confusion :)
(However that shouldn't make a difference either way.... if I'm honest)

Secondly.... I do not think I am a better DJ then the other people... and NOT ONCE have I said I think i am either, do please do NOT put words in that I haven't said!!!
I purely pointed out what other people have said to me.... not what I have said!!!

Thirdly... I think only a few of you have actually understood my original post..... I wanted to know how I could approach another DJ and get them onboard with me....

NOT DICTATE HOW THEY OPERATE.... NOT REDESIGN THEM.... etc....

Anyway, don't worry about it now.....

see ya :)

yourdj
28-03-2010, 03:15 PM

:D I was not going to say anything.

- There are some interesting characters on here to say the least and your comments may be taken out of context.

Written word with no personal connections are always read inter-perspectively.
I generally only respond to useful input unless i post something silly without realizing it ;)

I often do not read all the answers to posts and do not answer properly. :p

StarZSoundS
28-03-2010, 03:22 PM
Firstly Thanks to everyone for their replys....... been an interesting view on the forum to say the least.....

This post has actually really got my attention.....

Secondly.... I do not think I am a better DJ then the other people... and NOT ONCE have I said I think i am either, do please do NOT put words in that I haven't said!!!
I purely pointed out what other people have said to me.... not what I have said!!!

Thirdly... I think only a few of you have actually understood my original post..... I wanted to know how I could approach another DJ and get them onboard with me....

NOT DICTATE HOW THEY OPERATE.... NOT REDESIGN THEM.... etc....

Anyway, don't worry about it now.....

see ya :)

But you plan to take a fee from it???:confused: :confused: :confused:

I wasn't putting words into your mouth!!

I was putting words into mine...

"words that would actually come out of my mouth had you had the misfortune to approach me with your Masterplan."

And for the others who want to make it regional its not unique to Yorkshire.I would tell you to :Censored: Off if you were in Hampshire,Dorset or Berkshires Stockbroker Belt.

If you said I was being rude .....I'd say...

"Well YOU :Censored: started It."

Welcome to the Forum by the way!!:D :D :D :D

Alex
28-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Also to clarify ...in my original posts I said I could offer them a website.... What I mean is, thats a bad thing!!

At the moment, I feel that is all I can offer.... other than work....

Hey ho.... And yeah I know words can be taken out of the original context :)

Anyway.... we'll drop the subject now :)

soundtracker
28-03-2010, 03:25 PM
This is not aimed anyone specific (just responding to the post)

In other words, shut up and listen... now who is being rude.. Is this not a individual trying to dictate to another individual. I would give a two word response, but keeping within the rules of this forum. I have one word response "whatever" which covers rude, arrogant, ignorant and abusive!.

???? Lost me!

Pete.......

"I'm sorry but I think i'm falling in love with you now".:rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:

XXXXXX

:eek: :bag: :bag:

Corabar Entertainment
28-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Please do not think that Martin (StarZSoundS) is representative of the membership on this forum, because he most certainly isn't! I'd actually go so far as to say he is one of the most naturally rude people I have ever had dealings with!

To answer your original question: how about trying to organise a 'meet' with a few other DJs with a view to 'networking'?

That way, you can dip your toe in the water to see if they are people you think you can work with, and there could be something in it for all of you if you do get on (ie passing 'overspill' work between you).

If you believe you can work together, and can agree terms, you may find that what you are looking to achieve will happen naturally over time.

On the flip side, if you meet and decide there is no way you would work with them, you haven't lost anything. :)

Alex
28-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Thank you Angela, a real answer :)
You're post has given me idea..... :D :beer1: :D

I'll keep you posted :)

Corabar Entertainment
28-03-2010, 03:34 PM
:thumbsup:

Excalibur
28-03-2010, 03:37 PM
Please do not think that Martin (StarZSoundS) is representative of the membership on this forum, because he most certainly isn't! I'd actually go so far as to say he is one of the most naturally rude people I have ever had dealings with!

To answer your original question: how about trying to organise a 'meet' with a few other DJs with a view to 'networking'?

That way, you can dip your toe in the water to see if they are people you think you can work with, and there could be something in it for all of you if you do get on (ie passing 'overspill' work between you).

If you believe you can work together, and can agree terms, you may find that what you are looking to achieve will happen naturally over time.

On the flip side, if you meet and decide there is no way you would work with them, you haven't lost anything. :)
Angela, you're right that Martin isn't representative of the membership on here.

We only have six Yorkies don't we? :sofa: :sofa:

funkymook
28-03-2010, 03:38 PM
I'd arrange, accidently on purpose, to be around when they are setting up, or at the end of the night, or perhaps give them a call if there's any unused lights etc I'm selling and give thm first refusal - basically any way to start a friendly converstation. Then if I thought they were ok maybe suggest swapping contacts so could pass business/cover for each other. I'd keep it quite friendly and not too business orientated and get to know them a bit better first. Once on friendly terms should be quite easy to talk about any business ideas with them.

was busy writing my post so didn't see Angela's - I totally agree!

Can totally understand the wrong approach at the wrong time could easily get that response from some of us - so StarZSounds what would you say would be an acceptable approach to you?

Do you prefer the friendly, getting to know you, see if there's any mutual benefit style - or the no nonsense, say what you mean style?
Or any other?

StarZSoundS
28-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Can totally understand the wrong approach at the wrong time could easily get that response from some of us - so StarZSounds what would you say would be an acceptable approach to you?

Do you prefer the friendly, getting to know you, see if there's any mutual benefit style - or the no nonsense, say what you mean style?
Or any other?

First of all lets clear something up.....Some posters were extremely rude to me when I joined up.....in fact I was flabbergasted....and nobody rushed to my protection.....I thought it was the way of the forum.I'll be all nice for a week if you like.;) ;) ;)

Recently we have had a 200 post thread regarding something similair ... Funky...The old undercutting Chestnut.....it's been done to death!!

I think there is nothing to be gained in approaching these other DJ's at all.Wether I was rude or not...the OP suggested that this guy(confirmed) wanted to create a mini-empire where he was calling all the shots.

He's right to desire the power because it's nice....I know because thats what IVE GOT NOW .....Just me....thats how its always been and will always be!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Solitaire Events Ltd
28-03-2010, 05:28 PM
First of all lets clear something up.....Some posters were extremely rude to me when I joined up.....in fact I was flabbergasted....and nobody rushed to my protection.....I thought it was the way of the forum.I'll be all nice for a week if you like.;) ;) ;)

Let's get this straight shall we? You came onto this forum like a bull in a china shop and wound a lot of people up and would not look at others POV or ways of doing things. You simply did not listen.

That is why people were 'rude' to you.

Now let's move on as I am starting to get a bit fed up of you posting that everyone was so rude to you when you bought it on yourself.

funkymook
28-03-2010, 05:58 PM

Recently we have had a 200 post thread regarding something similair ... Funky...The old undercutting Chestnut.....it's been done to death!!

I think there is nothing to be gained in approaching these other DJ's at all.Wether I was rude or not...the OP suggested that this guy(confirmed) wanted to create a mini-empire where he was calling all the shots.

He's right to desire the power because it's nice....I know because thats what IVE GOT NOW .....Just me....thats how its always been and will always be!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Must admit I tend to agree - the undercutting/dealing with competition does go around in circles with very little constructive being added - and sometimes ends up getting a bit too personal.

No one on the forum should feel they can't ask the advice of other members, or post replies for fear of getting a negative response (meant or otherwise).

From what I read on this forum everybody seems very genuine and willing to help/give advice. There's always going to be differences of opinion - but I think the nicely nicely approach is usually best - sometimes you don't get the whole situation of the people involved, they could be stressed, upset, angry etc. and we all know how sometimes what we write doesn't always convey what we mean, or the spirit in which we mean it , especially if written in haste (or at 2am after a long night).

StarZSoundS
28-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Must admit I tend to agree - the undercutting/dealing with competition does go around in circles with very little constructive being added - and sometimes ends up getting a bit too personal.

There is no easy answer Martin.

As the business is constricting generally it is becoming more of an issue as we all chase what MOST on here would agree is a diminishing market.Plus.....It is easier to start up now than it ever has been...and as other people fall out of other employs thay are looking for other things to do.........................I'll be a DJ....ITS EASY!!

Tony Scott
28-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Angela, you're right that Martin isn't representative of the membership on here......

I agree, he's nowhere near pedantic enough.... :D

DiscoPromotions
28-03-2010, 07:19 PM
(ie passing 'overspill' work between you).

Always good to have few of these contacts.

There are lot of £80 sids who will be happy take the work, but I would not trust any of them with a dead fish

Usually by then they cleared you out.